Author Topic: What is music and other philosophical musings  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
What is music and other philosophical musings
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:15:15 AM »
This thread got into existence through a random troll poll/thread, which turned into a music philosophy discussion about objectivity/subjectivity in music quality in a different (now locked) thread. All the troll-posts have been removed and this is now apparently a thread on music philosophy and the question 'What is music?'
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:49:44 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

Re: Which CTTE vs Hemisphere Poll/Thread?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:36:31 AM »
Before this does get locked.....I will chime in that I think the objectivity vs subjectivity argument is fascinating.   I just end up never bringing it up because I guess I’m one of the extremely few people who never gets tired of philosophizing about it.   But....whatever.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:08:49 AM by Nick »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 02:38:37 AM »
Before this does get locked.....I will chime in that I think the objectivity vs subjectivity argument is fascinating.   I just end up never bringing it up because I guess I’m one of the extremely few people who never gets tired of philosophizing about it.   But....whatever.

I actually had a reply ready to be posted that was fairly long, and right as I hit the 'Post' button, I got the notification that the thread was locked. I honestly thought that was a shame, because like you I find the subject to be absolutely fascinating. I'm have a Master's Degree in Musicology and I'm a music teacher in high school, so it's discussions like these that I can absolutely dive into.

Like I said, I had a long winded reply typed and I don't completely remember what it was, but the gist of it was as follows:

The question whether music is objectively 'good' or 'bad' is the second most difficult question to ask in music, as far as I'm concerned. I can answer a more simple question far more easily, like 'is this a good pop song?' or 'is this a good sonata form?', because those questions rely on clearly defined frame-works ('pop song' and 'sonata form' - but then again, 'pop song' isn't even that clear and the sonata form has been butchered by tons of composers as well). To ask whether a piece of music is objectively good or bad, we first need to define what 'music' actually is, and this is the most difficult question you can ask with regards to music. "What is music?" It's virtually impossible to come up with an answer to that one that's satisfactory and all-inclusive as well, which in turn makes the question 'is this good music?' both obsolete and impossible to answer.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: What is music and other philosophical musings
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »
Feel free to edit the thread title to your preference, but otherwise here you go.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
What happened? :O
Squ

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
What happened? :O

Nick objectively jumped in. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
And killed off the entire discussion on which CTTE vs Hemispheres poll was better :lol
Squ

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
To me, what matters is whether someone can explain it. You may not like the music I like, but at least I can tell you what I like about it and why I like it.

So if someone likes (tries to think of the worst music ever) The Black-Eyed Peas, that's fine, but if, when asked why they like them, they can come up with a coherent explanation and discussion, then I will go away enlightened, and will listen to the Black-Eyed Peas with a new perspective, and might even end up loving their music too.

But if, when asked, all that person can say is "Because I like them", then that's fine too, but I'll go away thinking they have sh1t taste in music.

So yes, if you can tell me WHY you think Katy Perry is better than David Bowie, I'll listen to you with an open mind and just might be convinced. 

Oh, objectively I think CTTE is better than Hemispheres, but subjectively I'd rather listen to Hemispheres...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
But, as with all art, sometimes it's just a visceral reaction. I can list all the things I like about say....Holst, but then someone could find every one of those qualities in another composer I don't enjoy. Does it mean I have to like the other artist? No. Because those reasons are only a part of the equation, the other part is simply a visceral reaction.

I love Lady Gaga (got all her albums), but I don't enjoy almost any other modern pop artist, even though they share many many things in common with her. I just like her writing, delivery and so forth. So yea, I just like it. Every reason I list for liking it can be found in other artists I don't like.

So this idea that, in order to like something, you need a quantifiable list of reasons that explain it, seems a bit odd. I don't like Dream Theater BECAUSE of XYZ, because if that was my reason for liking them, then naturally I'd like any band that had all of those elements, and lord knows I don't like most typical Prog metal bands.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
I think it's the only time I don't feel wrong resorting to tautology. Music is music.

Apart from the objective (so far) physics of sound and some math analysis, you are actually never defining it or talking about it as much as you're defining and talking about your reaction to (otherwise ineffable) music.

It's the only way you can concile the subjective nature of taste with your reiterated and tested (hence plausibly objective) reactions to the kind music that satisfies said taste.

A piece is never objectively bad or good, your reaction to it is.

Everything absolutely IMO, of course.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

I actually had a reply ready to be posted that was fairly long, and right as I hit the 'Post' button, I got the notification that the thread was locked. I honestly thought that was a shame, because like you I find the subject to be absolutely fascinating. I'm have a Master's Degree in Musicology and I'm a music teacher in high school, so it's discussions like these that I can absolutely dive into.

Like I said, I had a long winded reply typed and I don't completely remember what it was, but the gist of it was as follows:

The question whether music is objectively 'good' or 'bad' is the second most difficult question to ask in music, as far as I'm concerned. I can answer a more simple question far more easily, like 'is this a good pop song?' or 'is this a good sonata form?', because those questions rely on clearly defined frame-works ('pop song' and 'sonata form' - but then again, 'pop song' isn't even that clear and the sonata form has been butchered by tons of composers as well). To ask whether a piece of music is objectively good or bad, we first need to define what 'music' actually is, and this is the most difficult question you can ask with regards to music. "What is music?" It's virtually impossible to come up with an answer to that one that's satisfactory and all-inclusive as well, which in turn makes the question 'is this good music?' both obsolete and impossible to answer.

But you (implicitly) did was is necessary to turn something objective: you've established the standard by which you are measuring.   I don't mean the 1000's of half-assed shitty "critics" on the interwebs, but REAL critics (in the classical sense) will establish their standard in their critique, and weigh the work against it.   "Criticism" is NOT opinion, in that sense of the word.   

So we CAN say "The Bodyguard" is the greatest soundtrack album ever, IF we establish that "units sold" is the standard.   The problem with confusing "I like it" with "is good" is that you are arbitrarily substituting "your opinion" as an objective standard, and that's where the problem comes in.   

I know for me, music is almost always visceral first, THEN I go back and figure out what it is that resonates (and sometimes that changes over time).   So to "The Curious Orange", I may not always be able to tell you what it is that makes me like a song like "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift (in my opinion one of the greatest pop songs ever written) but not "Chandelier" by Sia. 

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »

I do not have any music degrees, but I did study philosophy, so I get into this somewhat on the other end.

My view has some similarities to yours. All the arts have objective standards of value, but those standards are based on what that art is and what purpose it has. But these are very hard questions to answer and thus make the task of identifying those objective standards a tough one.

I think the easiest art form to formulate a standard for is literature, and this is because literature is already presented in the form of words and concepts, whereas music and the visual arts are initially perceptual, and so there is the additional step of conceptualizing things that are merely seen or heard. And I think there are a number of well-defined standards in literature, some widely accepted, many of them not. They ought to be defined in this way: literature has a certain nature and purpose, so we need a certain sort of work of that nature to best achieve the purpose (which I have reasons to believe is, for all arts: to concretize abstract ideas for human contemplation and enjoyment).

The key facts here are that objective literary standards exist, but are very challenging to figure out—even for people who study literature intensely. So they are all the more difficult for laymen. Where, then are literary laymen, if they don't have a strong grasp on the aesthetic issues here? They might be able to make approximate judgments (such as identifying the better book out of a pair where the difference is extreme), but for the most part, they are in a situation where they have to treat literary choices (above a certain obvious baseline) as subjective. They might like Dostoevsky better than Tolstoy, but they are not really in a position to argue that Dostoevsky is objectively superior. So they would have to think of their preference for Dostoevsky over Tolstoy as subjective—though it would still be a very good exercise to identify some specific elements about him that they prefer over elements in Tolstoy.

I believe the situation is quite similar in the other arts—I have certainly seen no reason to believe that objective merit exists in one art form but not the others. But, as I said above, the challenge is much greater in the other arts, because they don't come pre-equipped with a conceptual vocabulary—analysts have to make conceptual identifications of merely perceptual (visual or audio) elements. For example, "characterization" already conceptual to the literary critic, because they are told about the characters in conceptual terms, whereas "lighting" is something that the student of the visual arts has to take from visual stimuli and put into words.

Because of this additional challenge, objective knowledge is, I believe, much harder to accomplish in the other arts than in literature—though I believe it is still possible. And, once again, someone who is not well-studied in the art form in question and equipped with a conceptual vocabulary is in the position of having to treat those arts, above an obvious baseline (e.g., Rembrandt is better than a first-year art student), as subjective. Though it is still a good exercise, of course, to identify one's reasons for preferring one work to another.

Music presents a special challenge over and above the challenge of the visual arts. This is because in music there are no clear-cut concrete objects, and thus much less material to devise a conceptual vocabulary. For a novel, we can talk about how a character's words and actions have a certain effect. For a painting, we can talk about how the items in the images and how they are depicted have a certain effect (for example, we can talk about the positioning, posture, facial expression and lighting of human figures). And our ability to do this makes it possible to evaluate how well its effect accords with its purpose and how well it achieves this effect. But with music, we have no concrete objects.

Music doesn't present us with a courageous man, or a laughing girl, or a ship on the horizon. Music hits us on a level we understand much less clearly than the literary or visual arts. If we see a painting of a cheerful boy, we can talk about how that makes us happy and how they artist achieved that—because the artist is showing us some object that, if we saw that object in real life, it would make us happy. If we hear a cheerful song, we have much, much less idea what is going on that causes us to be cheerful. We just don't have the ability to describe how sounds actually work in our mind to achieve a certain effect.

This is why my inclination is this: Until and unless scholars are able to describe the means by which music acts on our mind to achieve a particular effect, I don't believe that it is possible to objectively judge the merits of music. I think we can guess at what objective judgments would be likely to be if we were able to perform them (e.g., my bet is that we probably would find Beethoven to be one of the objectively best musicians), but these are just informed guesses. Without the ability to go deep into what music tells our mind and how it affects us, I think we are all in the position of the laymen in the other arts: we can do no better than informed guesses and subjective preferences (which again does not mean that we should not try to identify those elements of certain compositions that we like and don't like, which is exactly how I approach writing about music in things like roulette writeups).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but you seem to be suggesting that we can say that something is a "good pop song" (for example) if we have a definition of what "pop songs"are like, and then can judge the extent to which a particular song meets that definition. In which case, I strongly disagree, and I'll reiterate what I said in the locked thread:

Obviously there are plenty of things in music and indeed any artform that can be measured or assessed objectively. But whether that piece of art is actually good or not is subjective because it comes only down to whether the listener/viewer/whatever likes it based on their own personal criteria.

Every time this comes up, someone tries to argue that it is objective, or partly objective, but all their arguments rely on a set of criteria being the definition of "good" that most people wouldn't even agree with.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
The only definition I can come up with. Music: A form of art using audio instead of visual. the art of using different sound waves or frequencies in patterns (arrangements) that are pleasing to the ears and mind, or expirmenting with different tones expressed through instruments or voice.
  Music can be pleasing to the ears and eyes in a live setting.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »
Ariich, I'm probably one of the more vociferous advocates of music being subjective, but even I don't necessarily understand your point.  If we say "the standard is... number of time signatures" and we say ""Three Pieces for Solo Clarinet" by Stravinsky is good" that's more of a semantics game than any real blurring of objectivity and subjectivity.  What we can't do there is extend "number of time signatures" as some absolute standard that others should adhere to.

I can very much say "I enjoy melodies" and then say The Outfield's "Play Deep" is a great record, but I have to understand that I really mean "the melodies on 'Play Deep' are enjoyable to me" and that's the extent of it.  There is nothing absolute that can be drawn from that.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »
music is what merzbow isn't

that's my take

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »
A collection of organized sounds.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but you seem to be suggesting that we can say that something is a "good pop song" (for example) if we have a definition of what "pop songs"are like, and then can judge the extent to which a particular song meets that definition. In which case, I strongly disagree, and I'll reiterate what I said in the locked thread:

Obviously there are plenty of things in music and indeed any artform that can be measured or assessed objectively. But whether that piece of art is actually good or not is subjective because it comes only down to whether the listener/viewer/whatever likes it based on their own personal criteria.

Every time this comes up, someone tries to argue that it is objective, or partly objective, but all their arguments rely on a set of criteria being the definition of "good" that most people wouldn't even agree with.

I think this is a case of semantics, because I didn't mean 'good' in the sense of quality, but more like how (in this case) the pop song fits a mold. I even stated that I think this is a rather bad example, because we can't define what a pop song really is, but let's say that a pop song consists of the following and adheres to this set of rules (this is an example, before I get quoted on this):

- it's no longer than 4 minutes
- it contains a chorus with repeating lyrics and verses that change lyrics; the verses and chorus are musically 'different' (a variation of, or a contrast)
- it contains a bridge, a part that's different from both the verse and the chorus

Following that simple set of rules; Katy Perry's 'Roar' would be a 'good' pop song, while Dream Theater's 'Octavarium' would not.

I didn't mean to say anything about the quality of the music itself, but once we have a framework we can work with (in this case the (allegedly) bad set of rules I stated) we might be able to objectively say something about the quality of the song. In this example, Octavarium is bad as a pop song.

And indeed, this discussion goes nowhere, despite this brilliant revelation
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »

I think this is a case of semantics, because I didn't mean 'good' in the sense of quality, but more like how (in this case) the pop song fits a mold. I even stated that I think this is a rather bad example, because we can't define what a pop song really is, but let's say that a pop song consists of the following and adheres to this set of rules (this is an example, before I get quoted on this):

- it's no longer than 4 minutes
- it contains a chorus with repeating lyrics and verses that change lyrics; the verses and chorus are musically 'different' (a variation of, or a contrast)
- it contains a bridge, a part that's different from both the verse and the chorus

Following that simple set of rules; Katy Perry's 'Roar' would be a 'good' pop song, while Dream Theater's 'Octavarium' would not.

I didn't mean to say anything about the quality of the music itself, but once we have a framework we can work with (in this case the (allegedly) bad set of rules I stated) we might be able to objectively say something about the quality of the song. In this example, Octavarium is bad as a pop song.

And indeed, this discussion goes nowhere, despite this brilliant revelation
OK yeah I think I misunderstood your previous post, and we agree.

As you say, if we have a definition of something (your other example of the sonata form is more clear cut) then we can objectively measure the extent to which a song fits that definition. (And in my post I was also talking about there being other things that can be measured too, like how fast someone can play, a singer's range, indeed even how well they sing in tune)

But yeah none of that makes something good or bad, which I believe we agree on.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
Music is Life. The rest is just details.

Or so says the shirt my wife got me on my birthday one year.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 03:59:27 AM »

My view has some similarities to yours. All the arts have objective standards of value, but those standards are based on what that art is and what purpose it has. But these are very hard questions to answer and thus make the task of identifying those objective standards a tough one.

The key facts here are that objective literary standards exist, but are very challenging to figure out—even for people who study literature intensely. So they are all the more difficult for laymen. Where, then are literary laymen, if they don't have a strong grasp on the aesthetic issues here? They might be able to make approximate judgments (such as identifying the better book out of a pair where the difference is extreme), but for the most part, they are in a situation where they have to treat literary choices (above a certain obvious baseline) as subjective. They might like Dostoevsky better than Tolstoy, but they are not really in a position to argue that Dostoevsky is objectively superior. So they would have to think of their preference for Dostoevsky over Tolstoy as subjective—though it would still be a very good exercise to identify some specific elements about him that they prefer over elements in Tolstoy.

I think that's what I was trying to say. There's lots of trashy novels, bad movies and cheesy pop songs that I like (or even love), but I wouldn't even claim that they're "good" (I love Grease 2, for example, easily one of the worst films ever made - but never tell anyone I admitted to that!)

So yes, I can differentiate between music that I subjectively enjoy (even though I think it's cheesy and a bit naff), and music that I think is objectively good (even though I may not enjoy listening to it for pleasure).

So that was my point - If you enjoy a particular type of music, that's great. But if you want to try to convince me that it's objectively good, I'm gonna need a bit more from you.

I think the problem is that criticism has become a dying art thanks to the internet. Amazon reviews are clogged up with kids saying "OMFG this is well kewl oxoxoxo!!!" and regarding their opinion as being of equal weight as rational, well balanced criticism. Not all opinions are of equal value - some people believe the earth is flat - they're wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 04:57:19 AM »

I think that's what I was trying to say. There's lots of trashy novels, bad movies and cheesy pop songs that I like (or even love), but I wouldn't even claim that they're "good" (I love Grease 2, for example, easily one of the worst films ever made - but never tell anyone I admitted to that!)

So yes, I can differentiate between music that I subjectively enjoy (even though I think it's cheesy and a bit naff), and music that I think is objectively good (even though I may not enjoy listening to it for pleasure).

So that was my point - If you enjoy a particular type of music, that's great. But if you want to try to convince me that it's objectively good, I'm gonna need a bit more from you.

I think the problem is that criticism has become a dying art thanks to the internet. Amazon reviews are clogged up with kids saying "OMFG this is well kewl oxoxoxo!!!" and regarding their opinion as being of equal weight as rational, well balanced criticism. Not all opinions are of equal value - some people believe the earth is flat - they're wrong.
But see, your description of "objectively good" essentially comes down to meeting a set of criteria that lots of people would not agree with.

It's fine that you've made a distinction between "stuff I like/enjoy" and "stuff I think is good", based on different criteria. Lots of people would do the same. But the latter is still your subjective view on whether something is good or not.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »

It's fine that you've made a distinction between "stuff I like/enjoy" and "stuff I think is good", based on different criteria. Lots of people would do the same. But the latter is still your subjective view on whether something is good or not.

For example, I don't think, but I know that an album "Dark Side of the Moon" is objectively a GREAT album, regardless whether someone dig it or not. My main argument for this statement: it's one of the biggest all-time classics, it's still a relevant album today(after 40+ years), so it must be very quality. Of course that album or a band who made it (Floyd) is not universally beloved by every single music fan and that's a normal thing because tastes are different. Probably a Pink Floyd hater or a people who don't dig PF would disagree with a statement that Dark Side of the Moon is great, but they can't say any (objective) arguments against the greatness of that album besides "I just don't like it, so that's all."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 06:15:10 AM »
It's objective that The Dark Side of the Moon is widely reacted to as a great album. You have sales, polls, almost fifty years of opinions and reviews. It's also objective that there is a quantity of people not reacting to it as great. The music itself recorded in the album has nothing objective but its frequencies and its transcribable structural elements.

It may sound as semantics, but I feel it's the crux of the objective/subjective - good/bad discourse.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 06:41:53 AM »

But you (implicitly) did was is necessary to turn something objective: you've established the standard by which you are measuring.   I don't mean the 1000's of half-assed shitty "critics" on the interwebs, but REAL critics (in the classical sense) will establish their standard in their critique, and weigh the work against it.   "Criticism" is NOT opinion, in that sense of the word.   

So we CAN say "The Bodyguard" is the greatest soundtrack album ever, IF we establish that "units sold" is the standard.   The problem with confusing "I like it" with "is good" is that you are arbitrarily substituting "your opinion" as an objective standard, and that's where the problem comes in.   

I know for me, music is almost always visceral first, THEN I go back and figure out what it is that resonates (and sometimes that changes over time).   So to "The Curious Orange", I may not always be able to tell you what it is that makes me like a song like "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift (in my opinion one of the greatest pop songs ever written) but not "Chandelier" by Sia. 

The problem with classical music criticism is furthermore that the work performed is very often measured against what the critic thinks is what a performance of that piece should sound like, while in fact every orchestra/conductor has a more modern approach to performing these works than when they were written. Hell, some instruments are different now - our complete tonal system is different than it was 400 years ago.

On your last paragraph; that's really the problem isn't it? Often it's too difficult to even say why you like something. Reactions are intuitive lots of the time. I like this because society / the media / my parents tell me I should. I don't like this, because it's different. I like this, because, well, I like it.
Squ

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
See, I could write a critical review of Dark Side of The Moon explaining why I think it's great. I wouldn't mention sales figures or reputation, I'd concentrate solely on the music itself, it's themes, it's construction, it's ground-breaking production, the fact it was exploring new territories for rock music in so many ways.
Sure, you still may not like the album, but hopefully you'll go away with a little more appreciation of it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
See, I could write a critical review of Dark Side of The Moon explaining why I think it's great. I wouldn't mention sales figures or reputation, I'd concentrate solely on the music itself, it's themes, it's construction, it's ground-breaking production, the fact it was exploring new territories for rock music in so many ways.
Sure, you still may not like the album, but hopefully you'll go away with a little more appreciation of it.
Indeed, as you say you can write about why *you" think it's great. And it's awesome that a lot of people do that, because it adds a lot of depth to the discussion. Critical articles and discussions about the merits of different pieces of music can add a lot for others to consider when forming their own views. But that doesn't make any of it objective.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 06:55:15 AM »
okay; here's a hypothetical situation. The entire population of earth consists of 100 people. Every single one of these people thinks The Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece. Is it objectively a masterpiece then?

And.. what if one person doesn't think that?
Squ

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »
okay; here's a hypothetical situation. The entire population of earth consists of 100 people. Every single one of these people thinks The Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece. Is it objectively a masterpiece then?

Best I can tell, we are the subjects, what we're discussing is the object. Our perceptions are, by default, subjective because they are from the subject (us). Anything that would stop existing without us, (the judgment) is automatically subjective. So even if 100% of the people agree on something, it's not objective. It can act as an objective, for the sake of arguments, without actually being objective.

For instance. Murder isn't objectively wrong, but we've (mostly) all deemed it wrong, so we can declare that an "objective" for the sake of arguments, but it's still subjective.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »

Well, "if one person doesn't think that" then there is no question it's not objective.  I would argue that even if all 100 felt that way, it's still not "objective".  "Objective" has a predictive component too, and so you'd have to be able to talk about the next generation of 100 people and you can't.   

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2018, 07:21:26 AM »

Best I can tell, we are the subjects, what we're discussing is the object. Our perceptions are, by default, subjective because they are from the subject (us). Anything that would stop existing without us, (the judgment) is automatically subjective. So even if 100% of the people agree on something, it's not objective. It can act as an objective, for the sake of arguments, without actually being objective.

For instance. Murder isn't objectively wrong, but we've (mostly) all deemed it wrong, so we can declare that an "objective" for the sake of arguments, but it's still subjective.
A perfect explanation. :heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

Then we can state that it's objective that the whole population in the first example - 99% in the second one - considers the album a masterpiece. The music stays neutral.

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »

No. Objectivity is not a matter of consensus. It is what it is whether everyone recognizes it or no one does.

Consider this one: What if Pink Floyd recorded The Dark Side of the Moon but never released it, so that no one but the four band members and a couple of engineers had ever heard it? Years from now, after everyone who has heard it has died, it is discovered in a vault and released to the public.

If its merit is objective, if it derives primarily from the attributes of the music rather than the attitude of the listener, it must have the same objective merit while sitting unheard in the vault as it does after it is released. Nothing changes about the music itself from the the time it is in the vault to the time it is released to the public.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2018, 08:08:13 AM »

I will add to that: Music is a collection of organized sounds made by instruments (that are used by some people).

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2018, 09:11:40 AM »

I will add to that: Music is a collection of organized sounds made by instruments (that are used by some people).

So is John Cage's 4'33'' music, or not? What about aleatoric music? (music composed by random elements)