Poll

What are your Top 3 Black Sabbath albums? You can only choose 3.

Black Sabbath
10 (7.8%)
Paranoid
21 (16.3%)
Master Of Reality
21 (16.3%)
Volume IV
3 (2.3%)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
16 (12.4%)
Sabotage
7 (5.4%)
Technical Ecstacy
0 (0%)
Never Say Die
0 (0%)
Heaven And Hell
24 (18.6%)
Mob Rules
8 (6.2%)
Born Again
1 (0.8%)
Seventh Star
0 (0%)
The Eternal Idol
0 (0%)
Headless Cross
5 (3.9%)
Tyr
3 (2.3%)
Dehumanizer
7 (5.4%)
Cross Purposes
1 (0.8%)
Forbidden
0 (0%)
The Devil You Know
1 (0.8%)
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Your Top 3 Black Sabbath Albums-Poll  (Read 2474 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Your Top 3 Black Sabbath Albums-Poll
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules
Paranoid

(although not necessarily in that order)

Other albums have songs I prefer to what's on Paranoid (e.g., I probably prefer SBS and "Symptom of the Universe" to anything on Paranoid), but Paranoid is stronger on the whole than SBS and Sabotage.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
Upon further reflection, let me modify this just a bit.
I got into Sabbath during the Ozzy era. 

I first got into Ozzy-era Sabbath, but after the fact.  I started getting into them after Ozzy had already left and released Blizzard.  A friend of mine was into them, and had a lot of the older albums that we would listen to.  I liked them just fine.  But I never bought any because funds were limited as a youngster, and I could just listen to my friend's albums if I wanted to hear them.  So I basically got into them through my friend's collection.  But I did get Ozzy's albums.  And I found Speak of the Devil to be a nice collection of a lot of the Sabbath tunes I liked (as well as some I wasn't familiar with because my friend didn't have those albums), and a pretty solid performance.  When I went back to the Sabbath studio albums, they just seemed lifeless and lacking in energy by comparison.  So I never had the desire to actually own any Sabbath albums.  I did eventually get Heaven and Hell, and love it to this day. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Master of Reality
Heaven and Hell

"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »
Heaven and Hell
Headless Cross
TYR

good to see some love for the Martin Era.  :metal

My top 3:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Heaven and Hell
Master of Reality

But it's really hard and that list could change tomorrow.

My fav Sabbath era.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2018, 02:45:30 AM »
Heaven and Hell
Headless Cross
TYR

Snap my 3 were the same.
I discovered the band through the Dio era and the Martin stuff seemed to be the natural follow on.
Never liked the Ozzy era, not a fan of his voice at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2018, 05:19:03 AM »
Heaven and Hell
Headless Cross
TYR

Snap my 3 were the same.
I discovered the band through the Dio era and the Martin stuff seemed to be the natural follow on.
Never liked the Ozzy era, not a fan of his voice at all.

I really love the Ozzy era, but Heaven and Hell onwards is all perfect to me.  I'd even rate Born Again and Seventh Star higher than a lot of the Ozzy albums.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »
Seventh Star, most of you will know, was meant to be a Iommi solo album, it was only later in the process that pressures from the record company forced Iommi to release it as Sabbath, hence the compromise "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" on the cover.

We could say that there's a Sabbath album which is Sabbath in everything but the name (The Devil You Know), and a Sabbath album which is so ONLY by name (Seventh Star), since Iommi envisioned it as a solo album with a different style than he would have used for Sabbath.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2018, 06:07:43 AM »
Seventh Star, most of you will know, was meant to be a Iommi solo album, it was only later in the process that pressures from the record company forced Iommi to release it as Sabbath, hence the compromise "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi" on the cover.

We could say that there's a Sabbath album which is Sabbath in everything but the name (The Devil You Know), and a Sabbath album which is so ONLY by name (Seventh Star), since Iommi envisioned it as a solo album with a different style than he would have used for Sabbath.

I guess when I went through and discovered Sabbath about 20 years ago I didn't know this.  I discovered them with Ozzy then my guitar teacher introduced me to Dehumanizer and Heaven and Hell and the post Dio stuff intrigued me the most.  Seventh Star didn't click at first, but I grew to appreciate it.  When I realised the back story some time later, it made more sense, but since the way I discovered Sabbath, it will always feel like a Sabbath album to me. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20:34 AM »
Wow...  I thought I would be in the minority!  Like my wife says..."There I go thinking again".... :lol

1.  Heaven and Hell
2.  Paranoid
3.  Dehumanizer

Actually tough choice!  Master of Reality almost gets in.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2018, 07:40:21 AM »

I guess when I went through and discovered Sabbath about 20 years ago I didn't know this.  I discovered them with Ozzy then my guitar teacher introduced me to Dehumanizer and Heaven and Hell and the post Dio stuff intrigued me the most.  Seventh Star didn't click at first, but I grew to appreciate it.  When I realised the back story some time later, it made more sense, but since the way I discovered Sabbath, it will always feel like a Sabbath album to me.

I love "Seventh Star" ("... In Memory" is amazing), and given what came after, is every bit a "Sabbath" album as anything else in the catalogue.   As I've said 1000 times, the latter day Dio stuff is kind of formulaic to me.  It seems to me to be trying too hard to be what might be expected of "SABBATH!"   Even if the music was progressive (and in my view, it was, very much so) there was a continuity to the Ozzy years - eight years, eight albums, in my opinion, all very strong - but the latter years were a little haphazard to me (Dio - Gillan - Hughes - Gillen - Martin - Martin - Dio - Martin - Martin - Dio - Ozzy).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
Heaven & Hell
Dehumanizer
Headless Cross (for the title track alone!)