Poll

Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track?

The Root of All Evil
28 (11.7%)
The Answer Lies Within
2 (0.8%)
These Walls
25 (10.5%)
I Walk Beside You
10 (4.2%)
Panic Attack
29 (12.1%)
Never Enough
7 (2.9%)
Sacrificed Sons
29 (12.1%)
Rate the album Octavarium
5 (2.1%)
★☆☆☆☆
2 (0.8%)
★★☆☆☆
5 (2.1%)
★★★☆☆
35 (14.6%)
★★★★☆
42 (17.6%)
★★★★★
20 (8.4%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track? Rate the album!  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track? Rate the album!
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
Sacrificed Sons, and I was not surprised that it has gotten the most votes until now.

Octavarium is the album that got me into DT. I love this album AF
Easily five stars, not discussion.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
3 stars, with IWBY being my favorite. This is the weakest album of theirs along with BC&SL. IWBY is a great, catchy song that doesn’t overstay its welcome. The title track is excellent, but the other songs all feel either too derivative.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »
I forgot to rate the album, so I give it 5 stars.  My favorite track after the title track would be Never Enough. I'm the minority here, but I just love that main riff and the chorus is so strong. For some reason the count Dracula type riff on the keyboards after "What would you say - dah - dah - dah, makes me laugh every time. Also, the solo section with the unisons is totally sick!  :metal
 I never did understand the hate for this song.  It was a tough choice between that and TROAE. I've had more success turning people onto Dream Theater wth 8vm than any other album.  Plus an outstanding album for JLB, excellent vocals throughout!

Yes! It's actually my favourite DT unison run in their entire catalogue. Part of that is because it's so reminiscent of computer game music in the mid/late 80s and early 90s.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »
I love Never Enough. I think James is excellent on that.

My vote would go to Panic Attack and I rate the album a very generous 3 stars. But as a whole album, it's in my bottom half of DT albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline don_waka

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »
These Walls. I love the I&W sound to it.
4 stars.

Last decent DT album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2018, 03:07:02 PM »
4 stars.

Last decent DT album.

Just needs the triggered drums to make it more like the I&W sound.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
4 stars.

Last decent DT album.

Wow! Really? You’re still invested enough in the band to post on fan forums even though you don’t think they’ve released anything even decent in over 13 years? I would’ve well given up by now!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
I dunno, Rush hasn't released anything decent in 37 years and there is always a robust discussion about them here.

Seriously though, I think one can be enough of a fan of a band to post on their unofficial message board, and critical of the noteworthy percentage of their material at the same time. One can "give up" on the current direction of a band and still hold true to their appreciation of a previous era they are a fan of.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 05:23:38 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
I dunno, Rush hasn't released anything decent in 37 years and there is always a robust discussion about them here.

:rollin

:clap:

So true. Although I do give Clockwork Angels its due.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
Sacrificed Sons, 3 stars.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »
My least favorite album. I never listen to it anymore. Didn't vote any song because Octavarium is the only one I like.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Octavarium was a high point in DT's career. Everyone in the band seemed happy, the music was well balanced and put out a positive vibe. The album is a good representation of what DT is all about. I don't know why they went such a darker heavier direction on the next two albums. I thought they allready accomplished that on Awake and ToT.  Not that it's a bad thing, it seems MP heavily influenced the bands direction after Octavarium.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
Octavarium was a high point in DT's career. Everyone in the band seemed happy, the music was well balanced and put out a positive vibe. The album is a good representation of what DT is all about. I don't know why they went such a darker heavier direction on the next two albums. I thought they allready accomplished that on Awake and ToT.  Not that it's a bad thing, it seems MP heavily influenced the bands direction after Octavarium.

I agree. Even the look was good:

Also this one is darker in style but not "metaaaaaaaaaalll!!!!" and overdone:

This is actually the best and most fitting look for DT IMO. Not that it matters anyway of course, but I liked that style. And I completely agree on Octavarium being a pinnacle and a wonderful climax to their carrer so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
They were looking sharp. I like the goatie, short haired JP
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »

Seriously though, I think one can be enough of a fan of a band to post on their unofficial message board, and critical of the noteworthy percentage of their material at the same time. One can "give up" on the current direction of a band and still hold true to their appreciation of a previous era they are a fan of.

Of course they can still hold the old stuff in high regard. I loved Opeth albums up to and including Watershed and continue to do so. I don’t like anything they’ve released since and gave up after two albums I considered to be mediocre and hearing the first single off the third one. I don’t actively follow them or keep up to date with news or visit fan forums these days. Not suggesting someone is not entitled to still have an opinion or voice it on here (is this not the official DT forum now?) just surprised they’d still be interested in doing so when it’s been so long since they released anything he enjoyed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »
If PA was on a live release I'd have little need for this album.

It is!... on CIM :biggrin:

Not a DT release, but there is a better live version on the Gigantour release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CctGAJfCVSc
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »

:rollin

:clap:

So true. Although I do give Clockwork Angels its due.

And I thought you were decent guys...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Lethean

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
Decent misguided guys, perhaps? :)

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
Bottom of the pile for me by far in terms of DT albums. I’m not even a huge fan of the title track, find large parts of it to be quite dull. I’m gonna have to say, I Walk Beside as it’s one of their better attempts at a “radio” song. Good catchy little song.

Basically the same for me, except that it's not my absolutely least favorite album. Tied for bottom three with SC and BC&SL.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »
Probably one of my favorite albums by them. An easy 5/5 for me.

My ranking:

01. Octavarium
02. Sacrificed Sons
03. Panic Attack
04. These Walls
05. The Root of All Evil
06. I Walk Beside You
07. The Answer Lies Within
08. Never Enough

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2018, 07:58:31 AM »
I have fond memories of this album. My family had just moved from Canada to the States, so I didn't have anything to do except listen to music and watch movies until school started. I must have played Octavarium two dozen times in two months. :lol

My favorite non-title track song is either TROAE or TW. I ultimately voted on the latter. I would rate the album a 4/5. Really solid stuff.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline JLa

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
These Walls

edit: f*** I voted for two songs instead of giving a star rating  :lol

Four stars.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »
These Walls.  Also, I think the middle of the album (These Walls through Never Enough) is way better than the beginning and ending of the album.  I don't like the title track at all.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
TROAE

3/5
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 07:01:59 PM »
TROAE

3/5
''  ''
I consider it a weak album with the title track lifting it up to 3 stars. As I think about it TALW is actually a pretty likeable song, and I generally dislike their ballady stuff. Maybe should have gone with that over TRoAE, but it wouldn't change my overall opinion of the album.

And for what it's worth, I'm openly hostile towards most of their music over the last 15 or so years, and I still post here from time to time.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson