Poll

Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track?

The Root of All Evil
28 (11.7%)
The Answer Lies Within
2 (0.8%)
These Walls
25 (10.5%)
I Walk Beside You
10 (4.2%)
Panic Attack
29 (12.1%)
Never Enough
7 (2.9%)
Sacrificed Sons
29 (12.1%)
Rate the album Octavarium
5 (2.1%)
★☆☆☆☆
2 (0.8%)
★★☆☆☆
5 (2.1%)
★★★☆☆
35 (14.6%)
★★★★☆
42 (17.6%)
★★★★★
20 (8.4%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Author Topic: Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track? Rate the album!  (Read 4033 times)

Offline WildRanger

Which one?
Panic Attack for me.

My rating: 3 stars

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite track on Octavarium, besides the title track? Rate the album!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:46:32 PM »
Sacrificed Sons (it would get my vote even if the title track was available).

3 stars.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
Panic Attack.  But, really, I think all the tracks are strong except The Answer Lies Within and, to a lesser extent, I Walk Beside You. 

I rate it at ****.  Solid album.  Not as consistent as, say, Six Degrees, ADTOE, or DT12.  But still VERY solid.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
Gave it 3 stars because of the title track. 2nd fav song? I guess Root of All Evil. I honestly cannot stand Panic Attack or The Answer Lies Within ( I feel like I'm in a minority there, but such is life).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »
My all time #1 favorite DT album. 5 stars easily. I’d give it 8 stars if that was an option.

2nd favorite song is harder. They are all tied for 2nd place except TALW. But I went with These Walls. It could change daily.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »
Root, but I could have picked These Walls.

Solid album all the way through, one of their best. It's not perfect but the concept behind it was ingenous and the songs are well crafted with a mininum amount of the so called "wanking". I can totally forgive I Walk Beside You for being a love letter to U2 when it's so catchy, uplifting and with a memorable chorus. I really hope to hear These Walls in the next tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 01:11:30 PM »
Sacrificed Sons for sure.

4 star album, it's aged well for me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
Second favorite track is "Panic Attack," although PA and "Sacrificed Sons" are probably pretty close to tied for second.

A give the album four stars.  The title track, PA and SS are all five star songs.  TALW is probably 4+ stars.  IWBY is one of the weakest songs in the Rudess era (on a similar level as "Innocence Faded").  TRoaE is a strong song, but it hasn't had a lot of staying power.  "These Walls" is just ok, and I've never been a fan of "Never Enough" (regardless of the childishly petulant lyrics).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
The root of all evil. 4 stars.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
These Walls

It's a 3 star album for me. I'm not a huge fan of The Answer Lies Within, I Walk Beside You, or Never Enough. The rest of it is just OK.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
5 star album. One of DT's finest, for my ears...

It was tough to choose between The Root of All Evil and Panic Attack but I gave it to Root in the end. What a killer song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline krands85

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
Sacrificed Sons is my favourite on the album behind the title track. I gave the album 3 stars, but I'd have put 3.5 if it was an option.

It was the first DT album I heard and the title track is still one of my favourites. I tend to divide it in half - 4 of the tracks are brilliant, but I find the other 4 pretty average by DT standards.

1. Octavarium
2. Sacrificed Sons
3. The Root of All Evil
4. Panic Attack
----------
5. These Walls
6. Never Enough
7. The Answer Lies Within
8. I Walk Beside You
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
Sacrificed Sons
Root of All Evil

Solid 4 stars ****  One of my top DT Albums.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »
Favorite track: These Walls (top 5 DT track for me). Love everythingg about it.
Album rating: 3.5/5

I’m probably one of the few that absolutely dislikes the title track. Panick Attack is the other track I don’t enjoy. Octavarium the song feels very disjointed for me. Don’t like theong intro..Indo enjoy the first section when JLB sings for then1st and Razor’s Edge. Those are the only two sections I enjoy out of the song.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »
5 stars for the album and favourite song after the title track is The Answer Lies Within, a beautiful tune and I love the melodic nods to the title track. This album to me is in the group of Dream Theater classics, with Awake, Scenes, Six Degrees and Train of Thought.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 04:09:10 PM »
Five stars easily. And Panic Attack was my introduction to the band so it has a special place in my heart.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
The Answer Lies Within is the only song I love besides the title track.

Three stars, the first (chronologically) of my personal DT less liked trifecta.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
4,5 stars
TW is my 2nd fav song on this album.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
Bottom of the pile for me by far in terms of DT albums. I’m not even a huge fan of the title track, find large parts of it to be quite dull. I’m gonna have to say, I Walk Beside as it’s one of their better attempts at a “radio” song. Good catchy little song.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
Second favorite: These Walls. Such a perfect song :hefdaddy

I gave the album 4 stars, even though I don’t rank it very high on my list. Really like the title track, TW, PA and SS. The rest of the songs I just don’t care too much about. Never Enough is easily one of the worst things they have done imo (or was it a Muse cover?).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
4.5/5 (voted 4)

1. Octavarium
2. Panic Attack (voted for it)
3. Sacrificed Sons

Online Trav86

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 07:05:04 AM »
Three stars, the first (chronologically) of my personal DT less liked trifecta.

Same here. The Root of All Evil is actually my favorite track. The title track or Tbese Walls would be my second.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
TRoAE, 2 stars. I’ll never understand all the love for such a boring album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
My favourites are actually none of them, not even Octavarium. I never listen to anything in the Portnoy era these days. (unless Mangini plays the pieces, then they are listenable IMHO, because I'm a purely analytical listener, but that's only me I suppose. I don't intend to offend anyone with this. Sorry if I did). I won't rate it either
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 09:07:57 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »
These Walls. I'm like jammindude as It could change from time to time. The Root of All Evil is a close second for me right now.

I gave it 4 stars. Overall, it's a good album from start to finish. The title track is amazing and I think it pushes the album from being a 3 to 4 star.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
5 stars....and Panic Attack is my favorite song from the album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
I forgot to rate the album, so I give it 5 stars.  My favorite track after the title track would be Never Enough. I'm the minority here, but I just love that main riff and the chorus is so strong. For some reason the count Dracula type riff on the keyboards after "What would you say - dah - dah - dah, makes me laugh every time. Also, the solo section with the unisons is totally sick!  :metal
 I never did understand the hate for this song.  It was a tough choice between that and TROAE. I've had more success turning people onto Dream Theater wth 8vm than any other album.  Plus an outstanding album for JLB, excellent vocals throughout!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:02:41 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
This was the first DT album where I liked every song.  Each one previous to this had at least one I always skipped and still do for the most part.  8V is just a solid album front to back but it doesn't have the staying power like some of the others.  I've actually grown to dislike the title track, mainly for the Full Circle lyrics and weird jingle bells interlude which always takes me out of the music. 

As for the strongest track: Root.  Probably Portnoy's greatest lyrics, too.  I didn't see them on the 8V tour and they didn't play TROAE much after that so when they pulled it out on the second leg of the ADTOE tour, I was psyched. 

Also, I believe it was the first leg of the ADTOE tour they also played These Walls.  A song I always thought was fine, but nothing special.  Played live it takes on a whole new life.  In fact, I think that may be one of the few songs that is much better suited for a live setting than in the studio. Gave me a whole new appreciation for it and it may actually be my second favorite from the album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
Panic Attack is my favorite song on the album, even including the title track, The Root of All Evil might be #2. Tital track not far behind.

Big dropoff after those three.

3 Stars. Great three songs. I only think IWBY is bad. The rest aren't bad, they just are.... forgettable. Like when you go to a restaurant, get a meal, liked it enough, feel full, but when you get home, you can barely remember what you ate well enough to describe it or even how you felt about it. 

Not an album I feel inspired to listen to much. TRoaE and 8VM are documented well on Score. If PA was on a live release I'd have little need for this album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
If PA was on a live release I'd have little need for this album.

It is!... on CIM :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
Isn't PA also on LALP?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
My favourites are actually none of them, not even Octavarium. I never listen to anything in the Portnoy era these days. (unless Mangini plays the pieces, then they are listenable IMHO, because I'm a purely analytical listener, but that's only me I suppose. I don't intend to offend anyone with this. Sorry if I did). I won't rate it either
What the hell is the purpose of this comment :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
These Walls

I rank it 4 stars. The only thing keeping the album from 5 stars is The Answer Lies Within. I still enjoy it in the context of the album, but don't really listen to it on its own. Unless I'm in a certain mood.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robwebster

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
Five stars, The Root of All Evil.

I probably have a bit of newbie bias with this one as it was the first album where I was there for the entire release cycle. Even so, I am incredibly bloody fond of it. It was probably the right album at the right time - but it was the right album.

I love the diversity of it, I love how each track sounds very distinct, I love how unlike their previous stuff it (generally) was. The octave gimmick is very neat, I have such good memories of my first gig on the 20th Anniversary Tour.

Like the self-titled album, I really love how the focus is on songwriting rather than instrumental acrobatics - and then when you finally do reach the title track it feels like a huge release. The other tracks, too - I love how moody Sacrificed Sons is and the way it just explodes, I love the unison in the middle of Never Enough (and that drumming!), it’s all superb.

My one issue with it, and I’ve had this issue for years, is that I just can’t hear it as new any more. I know every single note backwards, and it’s a bit like when you chew gum for so long you can’t taste it. I never listen to it nowadays. But I do think it’s phenomenal.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
Isn't PA also on LALP?

It’s TW, not PA. (Also TROAE)