Author Topic: Great bands with weak vocals?  (Read 6503 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Great bands with weak vocals?
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
Tell me I'm not the only one thinking current day Dream Theater?

Otherwise, this one's for Katt.... Voyager.

No you're not. And I was actually thinking Voyager myself. Another that came to mind is Motorhead.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Tim you remind me of my dad.

Taken as a compliment, brother. :)

Actually, you're dead wrong though. In my roulette last year, I only invited young guns who I didn't know at all, looking for something different.

Then I proceeded to join roulettes of people I didn't know to challenge myself, and fared pretty well. 4th in Pup's and Train's, 3rd in Elite's and 2nd in Parama's.

I've actually tried a lot of new things this year that have been out of my comfort zone.

I know you have.  It's funny to see you razzing about certain style yet you are coming out of your musical comfort zone.

I've got to say, that's why I love the roulettes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
Tim you remind me of my dad.

Taken as a compliment, brother. :)

Actually, you're dead wrong though. In my roulette last year, I only invited young guns who I didn't know at all, looking for something different.

Then I proceeded to join roulettes of people I didn't know to challenge myself, and fared pretty well. 4th in Pup's and Train's, 3rd in Elite's and 2nd in Parama's.

I've actually tried a lot of new things this year that have been out of my comfort zone.

I know you have.  It's funny to see you razzing about certain style yet you are coming out of your musical comfort zone.

I've got to say, that's why I love the roulettes.

Ok...I've obviously seen the term for the X months I've been posting here, but can someone give me a Reader's Digest explanation of what a "roulette" is?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »
People send you songs, you listen to them and give them scores. Rinse repeat, at the end someone wins.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »

Otherwise, this one's for Katt.... Voyager.

While I disagree with your views, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

:loser:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 05:16:46 PM »
People send you songs, you listen to them and give them scores. You feel shame.  Then you set free.

Movie line FTFY.  :lol

It reminded me of that line in a certain movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 05:19:47 PM »

...which I obviously wouldn't recognize.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »
Oh yes you would.

Suzanne sucks.....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
Haken. :-P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
I love them...but....

Jane’s Addiction
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
This will be unpopular, but, Threshold during the Mac years.

Just could never get into his voice. Tried and tried and tried. I just don't feel it with him.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »

Oh, FFS... you've got to be shitting me on that one!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »

Just could never get into his voice. Tried and tried and tried. I just don't feel it with him.

I got into Threshold during the Mac years, and frankly, nothing else by them really interests me.

Oh, FFS... you've got to be shitting me on that one!

Oh, that's a Slap Shot reference? OK. I've seen it a couple of times. I really couldn't quote much from it though.

WTF??
Do you guys think I sit on my ass and watch movies all fucking day??? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
 :lol

Are you fucking serious? I still get it and get laid dude! You are so goddamn old.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 08:22:25 PM »
:lol

Are you fucking serious? I still get it and get laid dude! You are so goddamn old.

You sure about that? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »
I am.  Lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »

I got into Threshold during the Mac years, and frankly, nothing else by them really interests me.

Yeah, I agree. Damian Wilson's a fine singer, but none of their stuff with him really grabs me. And I can't even remember hearing the other guys.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
You are not the only one.

And Voivod has killer vocals. Not for sissies though.  ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 03:39:26 AM »

Same here. I won't say that Damian Wilson is a bad singer, 'cause he obviously isn't. I simply never ever clicked with his voice and I am not moved by anything he ever sang, be it Threshold, Ayreon or the Maiden tributes. Something in his voice puts me off.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 03:48:26 AM »
Haken. :-P

This was actually my first thought, I really like them but the singer is definitely the weak point here.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 05:03:39 AM »
That's fine.  I'm not a fan of the breathy falsetto as a singer's only or main vocal style, in general.  But if you dig it, cool.  :tup
[/quote]

He's the only reason I can't stand Flying Colours... also, that "frog in the throat" thing he's got going on.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »

My first thought also, especially after the last time I saw them live.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2018, 06:32:42 AM »

My first thought also, especially after the last time I saw them live.

Not weak, just different... in a good way.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
I've listened to a couple Voivod albums lately and my take on them was that I like the music, but the vocals do nothing for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
In terms of studio recordings? Hard to say. I am a vocals guy, so for me there are not a whole lot of artists I enjoy with bad vocals. There are exceptions I can think of, however:

-Modern Ian Anderson albums. I love Homo Eraticus and Thick as a Brick 2, but the guy can't sing anymore. I guess I enjoy his voice as it still has a unique warm quality to it that I enjoy. But it is mostly near his speaking voice these days. Thankfully, sometimes he uses a competent guest singer.

-Megadeth. Mustaine can't sing, but for some reason I really enjoy listening to him nonetheless. I think he does have a good sense of timing and thinking of catchy parts that use his limited capabilities well. And his voice fits his music perfectly. In terms of studio recordings, I actually enjoy his lower pitched weird vocals over the older higher pitched stuff.

Live? A whole lot of artists don't perform that well live (anymore) vocally speaking (fatique, off key, a jumble of incomprehensible words etc.). Especially artists that have been in the game for a long time. Dream Theater is an example. I really enjoy Labrie's latest studio performances, but live he is having major issues that I personally don't enjoy. And no, please don't take this as me shitting on him. The guy has given it all for decades and we have hours and hours of memorable performances because of it (both studiowise and live).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2018, 08:01:26 AM »
The  problem for me is that vocals are a big part of the music, and even if the singer is a "weak singer", if the vocals fit, it's cool.  Jane's Addiction, Motorhead.   

So I've answered this about bands I SHOULD like, but the singer is the last hurdle and I haven't cleared it yet;   I would add Red Hot Chili Peppers to the list, and Motley Crue (especially live).   I saw the Dr. Feelgood tour, and musically it was solid as a fucking rock (Tommy is a machine) but I just got tired of every line being "...........................................second class hood!..................................Hollywood!" in that pitchy, whiny voice of Neal's.  Man, does he blow.   

I like it, because she doesn't sing much, but Donna Godchaux belongs here; I have a ton of Dead from '74 to '78, and it's almost all excellent, unless and until she comes in wailing like someone stuck a wah wah pedal in her ass. 

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
Regarding Flying Colors: well, let's put it this way: after seeing Casey's solo performance at this year's Night of the Prog, I think lower of his singing abilities. Loved the FC gigs in earlier years, though.

Awesome bands with not-so-good vocals are The Tangent and Argos - for me. Along with some other (I think more obscure) German prog bands like Apogee, Martigan, Eyesberg or Superdrama.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
Stadler,  Perry Farrell is a great example.  Every band I've heard him on, he is the weakest link.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
First thing I can think of is Sons of Apollo. JSS is not a bad singer but I don't care for his vocals.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2018, 09:52:32 AM »
The thread title should be changed to "Great bands with vocals you don't like".  If the vocals were weak, then they wouldn't be a great band.

Not weak, just different...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »
The thread title should be changed to "Great bands with vocals you don't like".  If the vocals were weak, then they wouldn't be a great band.

I disagree with that.   Anthony Keidis is objectively a bad singer.  Off key, pitchy, out of time.   It works - to an extent - with their music, but he is a bad singer.   

"Not weak, just different", that's Bon Jovi.   It's not that Jon sucks, but it's not really my thing. Dokken.  Ratt.   John Payne.     

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
Bingo - RHCP. Kiedis is the biggest reason I don't like them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »

I disagree with that.   Anthony Keidis is objectively a bad singer.  Off key, pitchy, out of time.   It works - to an extent - with their music, but he is a bad singer.   

"Not weak, just different", that's Bon Jovi.   It's not that Jon sucks, but it's not really my thing. Dokken.  Ratt.   John Payne.     

Yeah, exactly.  Same with Ferrell.  Same with Mustaine.  Same with Lemmy.  It isn't a knock on them.  As those who have mentioned them have acknowledged, what they do fits the music and actually works.  But just not good singers.  Given the topic, I think this thread has remarkably stayed away from bashing or confusing "weak" with "I don't like," for the most part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Guns n' Roses yet? Look, I won't dispute that Axl is the "bad boy frontman" of a lifetime and that he deserves all the credit for being a huge reason why GNR became so big.

But if you look at his vocals alone.... he's at cat ran over by a car levels.

Oh, and since I'm going against legends.... original Black Sabbath. Yeah, burn me at the stake. I'm a moderate fan of that era of the band and the only and sole reason why I even have to write "moderate" it's Ozzy's vocals. He had the merit of being there at the beginning of it all, if he had showed up too late with the genre already going on, I don't think anyone would have cared for his vocals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2018, 12:30:26 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Guns n' Roses yet? Look, I won't dispute that Axl is the "bad boy frontman" of a lifetime and that he deserves all the credit for being a huge reason why GNR became so big.

But if you look at his vocals alone.... he's at cat ran over by a car levels.

Depends on what you're talking about in general. Live? Yeah, sounds like a banshee past its prime. In studio? Extremely strong vocal lines and raspy screams carried for many seconds, and a wide range - not just in octaves, but in delivery. When I was a dumb kid I thought Appetite had 3 lead singers. Now I'm a dumb adult, but I know better. :) He has some powerful live moments, but in general, yeah. Not the greatest.