Author Topic: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion  (Read 7603 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2018, 08:11:28 AM »
I have no comment on my teams performance :censored

the Wisconsin/Penn St. game went from preseason must see to a non event.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »

Ditto.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »

the Wisconsin/Penn St. game went from preseason must see to a non event.

Yea seriously. So disappointing for both teams this season and the loser of this one is really going to be unhappy this season. I'm glad this one is home for psu

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
And the California Golden Bears come back to defeat USC in LA. 13 years is a long time to lose to the team you hate more than any other.

More than the Yankees. More than the Rams. More than the Dodgers. Even more than fucking Stanfurd.

God I fucking hate USC. Go Bears!!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2018, 06:17:52 AM »
Congratulations, pal!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2018, 06:36:26 AM »
Is there a team out there that can beat Bama in the playoffs?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2018, 07:07:01 AM »
Is there a team out there that can beat Bama in the playoffs?
If Tua stays healthy, I think only Clemson can give them a game.

But the way the last few games have gone, I'm not sure he will stay healthy, so who knows?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
Bama's defense is unbelievably tough. I've watched the last two weeks in awe.

Oh, and congrats, Lonestar!!!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Going to the PSU at Rutgers game this Saturday.  Kind of not looking forward to it sadly.  This PSU season has just been really upsetting the way it turned out and playing Rutgers is hardly something interesting to watch.  I'm sure it will be fun, but my gf and I have been trying to figure out how to park and whatnot and it's just feeling like I'd rather watch this from my couch than the hassle of going.  THe bright side is I guess I can expect a healthy dose of PSU fans there and should be an easy win. 

I think a Rutgers grad wrote this article for US Today https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/11/13/penn-state-football-james-franklin-5-reasons-worst/1986050002/

He's not really wrong, but damn he is harsh on a coach that has really done a great job at PSU.  Rutgers really does have an inferiority complex with PSU which is funny but if Rutgers somehow wins on Saturday I may be too ashamed to show my face publicly again  :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
Going to the PSU at Rutgers game this Saturday.  Kind of not looking forward to it sadly.  This PSU season has just been really upsetting the way it turned out and playing Rutgers is hardly something interesting to watch.  I'm sure it will be fun, but my gf and I have been trying to figure out how to park and whatnot and it's just feeling like I'd rather watch this from my couch than the hassle of going.  THe bright side is I guess I can expect a healthy dose of PSU fans there and should be an easy win. 

I think a Rutgers grad wrote this article for US Today https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2018/11/13/penn-state-football-james-franklin-5-reasons-worst/1986050002/

He's not really wrong, but damn he is harsh on a coach that has really done a great job at PSU.  Rutgers really does have an inferiority complex with PSU which is funny but if Rutgers somehow wins on Saturday I may be too ashamed to show my face publicly again  :lol

Rutgers is one of, if not the worst, teams in the country. Kansas destroyed them I believe. PSU lost a lot when your Offense Coordinator left. The offense has lost it's spark this year.

Been a hell of a year as a Husker fan but holy hell that offense is amazing. Nebraska was down but has chance to win out, and should have won the majority of the games we lost. Amazing what crating a culture of accountability and lifting weights does to a team. Nebraska will be a top tier Big 10 team in another year.

In regards to who can beat Alabama, I think Clemson or (I hate to say this) Michigan are playing well enough to beat Alabama. Michigan's defense is legit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
It helps Nebraska to be in the Big 10 West, that division is a joke this year, but Nebraska really has the ability to own it if they can become close to what they used to be.  The coach is good, he just needs time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
The Cal v. Stanfurd game has been postponed due to smoke from the Camp Fire.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »
I could write an expose about growing up with the Bo-Woody rivalry, the various changes throughout the years, moving from Michigan but still reliving those memories before the annual meeting.  There have been few competitive games the past 15 years, and my 'fan anticipation' rarely was felt, and viewing the games was mostly sitting back and watching.  But this year was going to be different.  I knew Ohio State would score more than a few, but if MSU could hold them in check then the Wolverines would, and with mistakes held to a minimum, today the 'snide' would end at least for one year.

From the Buckeyes opening drive, I realized their speed wasn't going to be contained.  There was an exciting six second span, and then....same old same old.  Hard to call something 'The Game' when the results are haven't changed for so long.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:45:01 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
Yeah, Buckeyes kinda laid the smack down today, possibly playing themselves back into the playoff picture as well.

In other news, despite opening up the game with back to back pick sixes, and being spotted a 21 point lead 6 minutes into the game, Cal still managed to almost snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Man is our offense fucking anemic.

Oh well, we're secured a bowl bid and a possible 8 win season if we can take down Stanfurd next week.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2018, 05:19:42 AM »
Down to four undefeated teams. This week's rankings should be simple right?? Nah, they'll screw it up, again.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2018, 05:58:10 AM »
Snow Dog,

Ya shoulda been there, buddy!  :lol   BYU sucks!  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:15 AM »
PSU played their best game yesterday all season. Sucks it took them 12 games to find that chemistry on offense. Now it's just watch and wait. At #12 they are on the bubble for a NY6 bowl game which would be great for the team to make. I think they'd lose to whoever they played but that would be the best game to end the year. However the way some things went, and may go next week, they could be on the outside looking in. So I am not rooting for the underdogs in the championship games next week.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
I would imagine that the top 3 in the CFP rankings tomorrow would continue to be Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame (and deservedly so).

I would further imagine that the next 3 would be (in whatever order) Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State.

If that is so, then I would further imagine that number 7 would be Central Florida.

Anybody think any differently?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Sounds about right....pulling for Oklahoma personally, mainly because I'm very against two teams from the same conference being in it (SEC) and because fuck Ohio St.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Yea those rankings sound right and I'm thinking if Oklahoma beats Texas who is their only loss by a last second field goal then they'd be more deserving than any other one loss teams including if Bama loses to Georgia although I dont think theres anyway Bama doesnt end in the final 4 even with a loss.  Ohio State doesn't belong and UCF just didnt beat anyone to prove they belong in the top 4.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
Sounds about right....pulling for Oklahoma personally, mainly because I'm very against two teams from the same conference being in it (SEC) and because fuck Ohio St.
I can get behind both of those statements.

Where I'm going is, if Oklahoma loses to Texas, and Ohio State loses to Northwestern, and Alabama murders Georgia, is there any way that the committee can keep UCF out of the playoff?

And no, I am not expecting all of that to happen.  But it could.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
Add in Clemson losing to Pitt, and yea, I feel like UCF should get a shot then, but I still don't even know if it would happen but that would be one hell of a weekend if we got that scenario  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
Add in Clemson losing to Pitt, and yea, I feel like UCF should get a shot then, but I still don't even know if it would happen but that would be one hell of a weekend if we got that scenario  :lol
Clemson losing to Pitt would be the biggest shock of them all.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »
As deserving as they might be in that scenario, I still can't see any way the committee will let UCF crash the big boys table.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
I still say an eight team playoff is the only real answer. The conference champions from SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and the PAC 12 plus three at large teams such as the cream from the independents and other conferences. The Notre Dames, UCF's and runner-up of the SEC championships of any given season would have a shot at proving their worth on the field.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
I still say an eight team playoff is the only real answer. The conference champions from SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and the PAC 12 plus three at large teams such as the cream from the independents and other conferences. The Notre Dames, UCF's and runner-up of the SEC championships of any given season would have a shot at proving their worth on the field.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
The problem is that it makes too much sense

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
I actually can't figure out what the problem is. 

Money is the big driver in these things, and an 8-team playoff would definitely bring in more money.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
I actually can't figure out what the problem is. 

Money is the big driver in these things, and an 8-team playoff would definitely bring in more money.

I think it has to do with the people who own the actual bowl games.  There's a lot of money there.  By going to 8 team playoff, it likely means the first round would be played on campus's and not the bowl games so it would make some of them either obsolete or just lower their prestige making them less money.  Now, there's a lot of money to be made overall but I think those bowls are trying to hold onto their own value. 

I've got to think the 4 team playoff has been a huge success over the BCS era.  I'd think you'd see a similar jump going to 8 teams.  There would be room for an underdog, having the first round at home would mean for some electric atmospheres (something the bowl games sometimes lack) and I got to think the TV money would be through the roof.  Gives value to winning a conference (something the current system does not do) and gives a chance to those teams who do not, but are still damn good and deserving of a chance.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:18 AM »
I must say, I am disappointed in the committee ranking Michigan at # 6 ahead of UCF.

Hopefully that will be rectified in the final rankings, if UCF wins their conference title game in convincing fashion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2018, 08:40:13 AM »
I must say, I am disappointed in the committee ranking Michigan at # 6 ahead of UCF.

Hopefully that will be rectified in the final rankings, if UCF wins their conference title game in convincing fashion.

I'm not sure I see it though.  Sometimes it's like the committee ranks your losses just as much as your wins.  Michigan has two really "good losses" to ND and OSU both on the road.  UCF's best win was Pitt, who is likely to end the season 7-6 and Michigan's best win is against top 15 team PSU.  Also they lost their QB so I wonder if that really just ends any chance of them being ranked any higher. 

Either way, I'm glad PSU stayed ahead of WSU.  Since they have one more win, it seemed really possible they would be ahead of PSU, but it seems SOS might be the reason.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Michigan's loss to Ohio State was not in any way a good loss.  It's a loss to a good team.  But they got their ass beat, in the most important game of their season. 

Oklahoma's only loss is a good loss (by 3 points to rival Texas).

Central Florida has no good losses.  Or any other losses.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
I think you misunderstood what I meant by "good loss" but losing to a top 10 team on the road is as good of a loss as you are going to get, but I know there's nothing good about getting smacked down by your rival with everything on the line.

Central Florida doesn't havea single worthy win though, so my point was Michigan's losses aren't any worse than UCF's wins in the eyes of the committee.  Maybe had UCF gotten to play that game against UNC they would be a big closer, but 11-0 with no quality wins isn't the same as 10-2 with two losses to top 10 teams and a few quality wins. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
I love UNC, but I don't think that would have been considered a "quality" win  :lol

Maybe in a year or two, after Mack Brown is back in the saddle again.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
TV, are you still hanging around this thread? How are you feeling, confidence wise, about your team for the Championship game tonight?

Myself, I'm really looking forward to seeing which Utah team shows up. Talent wise (especially on offence--too many injuries), the Utes don't match up well against U-Dub but have shown some heart this year. Of course, I want them to win but really, I'll be happy if they play hard throughout the game--win or lose.

Anyway, good luck, but not too much.