Author Topic: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion  (Read 7594 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
NCAA Football 2018 Discussion
« on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:59 AM »
College football is back this week  :yarr

Seems most think another Clemson Alabama Title game is in the works.  I guess that's pretty easy to see, but it's a long way till we get to final selection committee poll.

I'd say the biggest story right now is the whole Urban Meyer debacle at Ohio State. 

I'm definitely looking forward to the PSU season, #10 seems about right for the pre-season rankings.  Been great two years in a row and we return our senior quarterback.  Some questions on D and at RB, but we are pretty stacked with new talent that should contribute and fill the holes.  Seems the game with Ohio State after Urban is back from suspension might determine who plays likely Wisconsin again for the Big 10 championship.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NCAA Football 2018 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »
Wake me up when NCAA starts giving legit undefeated teams a chance to compete for a National Championship.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
I will be in Iceland this week when my Dawgs take on Auburn (actually through 9/17). It will be a huge game for the Huskies, as well as the entire Pac-12. The conference has experienced a bit of a talent drain the last 10 years or so. A win would bolster and renew some legitimacy, as well as set the tone for the season. But even a loss early may not be the end of our BCS aspirations if we can run the table from there. Regardless of the outcome the road to the Pac-12 championship cuts straight down Montlake Blvd in Seattle this year.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
True, a first weekend loss against a big time team won't ruin the season, but a win put you already into the drivers seat.  Washington has been so good under Peterson, I would be rooting for them over the SEC.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
This is the best time to be a Husker fan in 20 years. Even with a BRUTAL schedule hope is high that Nebraska is back on a path to relevance thanks to Scott Frost. 7 wins would be amazing this year but even 6 would be respectful with games on road against Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Ohio St. and Iowa.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
I will definitely be looking for a Husky win over Auburn. As for my beloved Golden Bears, they open up against North Carolina at home after a delicious breakfast provided by yours truly...

:gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:40 AM »
Sounds like a great way to start a saturday

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:06 AM »
Heading up to the stadium in a few hours for the first Ute game of the season. Too bad our guys are basically playing a high school team (Weber State). Even if they win big, it won't move the needle on being ranked outside the top 25.

Good luck to the Bears this year, lonestar!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
Heading up to the stadium in a few hours for the first Ute game of the season. Too bad our guys are basically playing a high school team (Weber State). Even if they win big, it won't move the needle on being ranked outside the top 25.

Opening day is always exciting. Opening night.... even better. Enjoy destroying that cupcake!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »

Jealous! Have fun!

Go Utes!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 08:38:11 AM »
It should be fun, Snow Dog!

I don't know how closely you're able to follow the team, but we're all excited to see how the receiving corp stacks up this year with Covey back and the reported off season improvement of Huntley as a passer.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »
It should be fun, Snow Dog!

I don't know how closely you're able to follow the team, but we're all excited to see how the receiving corp stacks up this year with Covey back and the reported off season improvement of Huntley as a passer.

What’s this down 10-7 to Weber State shit?

Never mind. Touchdown Utes.

Truthfully haven’t followed any offseason news for Utah. Good to know Covey will be back. And Huntley’s progression is good news. I liked how he looked last year, and I’m hoping he’ll be the best QB Utah has had since Brian Johnson (don’t get me started about Travis Wilson...)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »
A dropped punt return. Really, Weber State was seriously out matched. Their offense couldn’t move the ball to save their lives. Utah kinda fell asleep in the first quarter but then quickly poured it on in the second. The game was never really in doubt but the Utes better get their shit together before conference play!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
Sounds like a normal first game beat down, struggle early to get warmed up and then just power through with the better players over a weak opponent.  I'm guessing PSU will do similar today, but there's some P5 match ups today as well that should make the day interesting.  Wondering if there will be an upsets though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
Bears holding on nicely, up 17-0 at the half. Guess they enjoyed the omelets I made today ;)

As to upsets, go App St!!!

Focusing mostly on the UW-Auburn game, this one could be a burner for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
Yikes app state giving me a heart attack

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 04:58:50 PM »
Tie game, 42 seconds left. Someone check on Hef....

EDIT- ok, who had that one going into OT?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:09:03 PM by lonestar »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Just told my gf that is not how I expected our afternoon to go  :lol but happy

Offline dparrott

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »
I like 5 teams now: BSU, CCU, EMU, USF and Southern U.  Southern U and USF got cool new unis this season.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
What a bummer of a weekend. The first Husker football game to ever be canceled due to weather happens to be Frost's debut as coach.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 10:54:37 AM »
That's so frustrating, are they able to reschedule it?

This weekend is going to be tough for PSU.  Not sure what to think after last weekend.  Their defense got destroyed in the 4th quarter, and I don't know exactly if it's because PSU has flaws (well, they do with a young defense, but just how bad are they?) or App State may be a really good mid major team this year (TV said they were ranked around 39th and should contend to win the Sun Belt) but going on the road at night to our in state rival Pitt will present some challenges for this team.  The game will be going on while I'm at ProgPower during Alestorm's set so I won't be able to watch, which is going to nag me and make me constantly check my phone, but I am hoping for a win and some improvement, but I am not sure I'll get that or not.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »
That's so frustrating, are they able to reschedule it?

Sounds like they are looking at various options. It was initially reported that they were going to play on Sunday but Akron declined. They are looking at playing on their bye week on 10/26 or may 12/1 assuming they don't make the Big 10 title game. I've heard rumors of playing Iowa St. on 12/1 since their game got canceled.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 12:32:56 PM »
This Freshman kid at Clemson is the real deal. Pretty amazing. Mobile and an arm. This kid has a  bright future.

Online T-ski

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
my Badgers took it on the chin this weekend.  very disappointing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »

Big Ten took a big shit yesterday.  Maryland, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern.... I'm actually glad Ohio State pulled out a win, save the conference some face this week.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
Boise State stunk.  USF with a great comeback win.  Coastal dominated. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »

Was quite surprised to see that result. I'm hoping that means that BYU is that good, and that means Cal is that good :gobears:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Big Ten took a big shit yesterday.  Maryland, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern.... I'm actually glad Ohio State pulled out a win, save the conference some face this week.

Nebraska is playing with essentially a 4th string QB thanks to that dirty piece of shit from Colorado. Long ways to go under Frost but they could and should be 2-0 not 0-2. 18 point underdogs against Michigan this week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
Big game in Happy Valley this weekend and college gameday will be there, I am super pumped to watch the annual PSU vs OSU game and lately the winner has been winning the Big 10.  This year looks like it could be another great game with the winner controlling their destiny.

Having said that, PSU has scared me and wowed me at times this year.  App State (I think may be a really good team) put them into OT and then Illinois had a 3rd quarter lead.  The final score is not indicative of how that game really was.  PSU can not play OSU like they played App and Illinois.  They need a complete game which seems unlikely because our defense is very suspect.  OSU also looks like their D isn't as good as usual and Bosa is likely out for this game.  I'm thinking it will be a high scoring shoot out for the white out.

Also, Virginia Tech wow that was a really bad loss.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »
...and then Illinois had a 3rd quarter lead.  The final score is not indicative of how that game really was. 

I was tired and went to bed during the 3rd quarter.  Illinois was doing pretty well.  Woke up Saturday morning and checked the final score while my kids were watching cartoons and just thought "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?"   :facepalm:  I guess I made a good choice by going to bed instead of watching the 4th quarter. 

I was happy to see them hanging in there with a highly ranked team and the final score doesn't disappoint me at all.  Just a late-game collapse. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
Yea I was getting really worried and I looked away and next thing they were up by 2 scores which I totally missed.  Then it just got out of control from there.  That's the third time this season PSU had things close at half and then just destroyed in the 2nd.  App State they actually had a lead they just blew in the 4th, but they just can't play like that against OSU.  Things need to come together this week for the team to win.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »
Starting to feel really worried about the OSU game tomorrow.  It should be a good one and the white out is always fun to watch, but just so much on the line.  An ESPN article stated this is the #1 game for playoff importance as the winner is in the drivers seat to make it and the loser will need a lot of help.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Totally pulling for Penn St., anything to get Ohio a loss is a win in my books.

In other news, the best QB in the nation just began his decimation of the Cal secondary. Time to see if we can score with them...

:gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Another punch to the gut from OSU with a big lead.  Ugh so frustrating.   >:(