Author Topic: Eagles have the best selling album of all time in the USA?  (Read 8759 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Eagles have the best selling album of all time in the USA?
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »
So the summer of '84 was the summer between 10th and 11th grade for me. One of the baseball fields we played at was in Wareham, home of the Wareham Gatemen of the Cape Cod baseball league, which is probably the number one college summer league. I always think of that.

But there's something about that song that is really warm.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
I never cared for the song back in the '80s.  I wasn't until me and the band buddies started covering it a few years ago that I started to appreciate it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
I do see your point about Sabbath and I do like the Dio era but it’s generally ignored when people talk about the greatness of Sabbath. They are good solid rock records but will never go down in history as anything earth shattering. They were touring until recently and I would guess they were still basing the whole set off those first 5 albums. Strange to think how a band that most consider one of the greatest metal bands of all time released all their revered stuff in a 4 year period and have not released anything noteworthy since 1973 (45 years ago!)

"[T]he Dio era . . . [is] generally ignored when people talk about the greatness of Sabbath"?!

B'scuze me?!

Which "people" are you referring to?  I'm not sure I've ever -- in the 35+ years that I've been a fan of heavy music -- heard a discussion about Sabbath that didn't at least touch on the subject of Ozzy era v. Dio era.

Putting aside the issue of Sabotage (which, in terms of album sales is on roughly the same level as SBS), there is no valid argument to be made that the first two Dio albums weren't "noteworthy," and the release of Dehumanizer in 1992 was a huge deal.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Back in the 70's, we talked about the greatness of Sabbath and never talked about the Dio era at all.  It's like it didn't even exist.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2018, 04:05:56 PM »
I do see your point about Sabbath and I do like the Dio era but it’s generally ignored when people talk about the greatness of Sabbath. They are good solid rock records but will never go down in history as anything earth shattering. They were touring until recently and I would guess they were still basing the whole set off those first 5 albums. Strange to think how a band that most consider one of the greatest metal bands of all time released all their revered stuff in a 4 year period and have not released anything noteworthy since 1973 (45 years ago!)

"[T]he Dio era . . . [is] generally ignored when people talk about the greatness of Sabbath"?!

B'scuze me?!

Which "people" are you referring to?  I'm not sure I've ever -- in the 35+ years that I've been a fan of heavy music -- heard a discussion about Sabbath that didn't at least touch on the subject of Ozzy era v. Dio era.

Putting aside the issue of Sabotage (which, in terms of album sales is on roughly the same level as SBS), there is no valid argument to be made that the first two Dio albums weren't "noteworthy," and the release of Dehumanizer in 1992 was a huge deal.

You lost me at "Dehumanizer" (I hated that album for a long time until someone over at MP's - might actually have been you, now that I think about it - suggested I revisit it, and it's pretty good.   Actually better than pretty good, but it's still not Heaven and Hell.   See, at the time, there was a huge to-do about Sabbath's record, then Ozzy's solo record, and back then, Dio was still a dick and didn't have the glowing reputation he did near the end, so it was known, and it was a big deal. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
Henley's The Boys Of Summer always resonates with me. It's one of those songs that literally picks me up and drops me into 1984.

"Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

In 1984, I was working in a 24-hour campus restaurant and at age 22 was already an old fogey compared to the "kids" working there, and was apparently already building my cred as a music trivia guru.  Someone asked me about that line.  They didn't understand it.

Think about it.  Rock and Roll as we know it (70's and beyond) was only 10 years old.  It wouldn't be called "Classic Rock" for another 10 years.  There was no "Generation X" or "Millenials" or any of that.  There were also no Lexus or Infinity or any of those other fancy-tag cars.

So the very concept of a guy who listened to The Dead back in the day, or perhaps still does, but now he drives a Cadillac, was mindblowing.  Wow, an old-school rocker letting his freak flag fly in his own way.  How cool.  Gotta include that in a song or something.

That's what I always think of when I hear that song.

I didn't get this until way later, when I got married and had a kid, but the verse is:
Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
A little voice inside my head said
Don't look back, you can never look back
I thought I knew what love was
What did I know?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let 'em go, but...

And to me it was a little bit of that melancholy that you can't hold on.  It was less about flying the freak flag than it was the idea of not letting go of your youth (the Dead, man) even though it's passed you by (I drive a Caddy now).     The narrator is conflicted about that; he sees it, he knows it's not good, but when it comes to his love... he just can't. 

It's not important why, but that song really resonates with me in a lot of ways.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
Yup.

Obviously, I'm not into Don Henley, but Boys Of Summer is one of a handful of tracks from the 80's that when I hear it, it literally stops me dead in my tracks and transports me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »
And to me it was a little bit of that melancholy that you can't hold on.  It was less about flying the freak flag than it was the idea of not letting go of your youth (the Dead, man) even though it's passed you by (I drive a Caddy now).     The narrator is conflicted about that; he sees it, he knows it's not good, but when it comes to his love... he just can't. 

Interesting.  I get the analogy between the music of your youth and the girl you once had who's now gone and ain't coming back, but I guess I never picked up the idea that both are gone forever.  From time to time, I do think of girls from my past and where I might be now if we'd managed to stay together, but I don't see music as analogous to that.  The music of my youth is the stuff that got me through the changes, the rough times, and there's no reason I can't still listen to it today and get lost in it.  I'll never see those girls again, but I can't always put on the old records and be a teenager again for a while.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
For the most part I did not like their solo stuff except for certain songs.  The Last Worthless Evening meant a lot to me and my girlfriend of 3 years. The lyrics were parallel to how we got together.   

When we broke up I had a hard time listening to it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »

Interesting.  I get the analogy between the music of your youth and the girl you once had who's now gone and ain't coming back, but I guess I never picked up the idea that both are gone forever.  From time to time, I do think of girls from my past and where I might be now if we'd managed to stay together, but I don't see music as analogous to that.  The music of my youth is the stuff that got me through the changes, the rough times, and there's no reason I can't still listen to it today and get lost in it.  I'll never see those girls again, but I can't always put on the old records and be a teenager again for a while.

I don't know that it's music that you can't hold onto, but the lifestyle and some of the ideals that the music represents.  I'm thinking of the weekend warriors at the Dave Matthews concert.  I love Van Halen and Iron Maiden, but honestly?  "Runnin' With The Devil" doesn't mean to me now what it did when I was 17, and I think Henley is saying maybe it shouldn't.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2018, 10:01:42 PM »
For the most part I did not like their solo stuff except for certain songs.  The Last Worthless Evening meant a lot to me and my girlfriend of 3 years. The lyrics were parallel to how we got together.   

When we broke up I had a hard time listening to it.

And Heart Of The Matter was a good descriptor of me following the breakup of my college girlfriend and I.  She broke up with me, just before we graduated, and that song seemed to cover it pretty closely.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »

I don't know that it's music that you can't hold onto, but the lifestyle and some of the ideals that the music represents.  I'm thinking of the weekend warriors at the Dave Matthews concert.  I love Van Halen and Iron Maiden, but honestly?  "Runnin' With The Devil" doesn't mean to me now what it did when I was 17, and I think Henley is saying maybe it shouldn't.   

Okay, I think I get it.  The exec driving the Cadillac may still love The Dead, but he's not hitting the road to follow them anymore.  He's older and has grownup responsibilities now, kids and a mortgage, and has been "reduced" to putting a Deadhead sticker on his Cadillac.  Those days are gone, dude.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2018, 12:33:42 AM »
I’ve always gotten what it meant....but then it makes me look at myself.

A 48 yr old grey headed father of 3 (all grown), driving a Honda Crosstour, walking into Costco with a BTBAM concert shirt and sporting a pair of checkerboard “Spicoli Special’s” (the original Vans loafers) and I wonder... am I that guy? Am I the dead head sticker on a Cadillac guy?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2018, 12:36:39 AM »
Yup.

Obviously, I'm not into Don Henley, but Boys Of Summer is one of a handful of tracks from the 80's that when I hear it, it literally stops me dead in my tracks and transports me.

Maybe you should check out New York Minute, it's a great song too! ;)

any rock can be made to roll

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »

A 48 yr old grey headed father of 3 (all grown), driving a Honda Crosstour, walking into Costco with a BTBAM concert shirt and sporting a pair of checkerboard “Spicoli Special’s” (the original Vans loafers) and I wonder... am I that guy? Am I the dead head sticker on a Cadillac guy?

You just barely escaped it, JD. If you had a Nevermind T-shirt on, that would have sealed the deal.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2018, 06:54:32 AM »

Yes, yes you are.  :)  :)  :)   :)   :) 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:24 AM »

You hit a nerve. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2018, 08:03:22 AM »

But...maybe you shouldn't care.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2018, 08:17:38 AM »

But...maybe you shouldn't care.

I know I don't, to the eternal chagrin of my wife (who finds a way to walk a couple steps behind or away from me at times.  Go figure.)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
Never be ashamed of who you are.  Hell, I'm 56 and in a band playing music that's been around since I was in junior high.  My hair is longer now than it was back then, because I wasn't allowed to grow it out back then (parents suck).  Maybe there's a point at which most people think you're too old for that shit.  Maybe they're right.  Still don't care.

I get what y'all are saying about the Deadhead sticker, but I'm still sticking to my original interpretation.  It's not about what you've lost; it's about what you still have.  Hold on to what you love.  Be proud of what you've done, where you've been, and who you are because of it.  And if anybody cares enough to give you shit about it, they need to care about more important things.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »

B'scuze me?!

You lost me at "Dehumanizer" (I hated that album for a long time until someone over at MP's - might actually have been you, now that I think about it - suggested I revisit it, and it's pretty good.   Actually better than pretty good, but it's still not Heaven and Hell.   See, at the time, there was a huge to-do about Sabbath's record, then Ozzy's solo record, and back then, Dio was still a dick and didn't have the glowing reputation he did near the end, so it was known, and it was a big deal.

I think some of these "huge deal" things were different between the two coasts.  I also vaguely recall one of the songs from Dehumanizer being in a movie soundtrack, but I might be wrong about that.

Back in the 70's, we talked about the greatness of Sabbath and never talked about the Dio era at all.  It's like it didn't even exist.

Well played, sir.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2018, 12:16:18 PM »

B'scuze me?!

I think some of these "huge deal" things were different between the two coasts.  I also vaguely recall one of the songs from Dehumanizer being in a movie soundtrack, but I might be wrong about that.

You are not. "Time Machine" was in Wayne's World. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »

B'scuze me?!

You are not. "Time Machine" was in Wayne's World.

Excellent!  Party on.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »

B'scuze me?!

Dehumanizer was not a huge deal and this is coming from someone who saw that tour. The second an Ozzy return was mooted, people couldn’t get him back quick enough.

Let me put this another way. Imagine Sabbath had never existed before the Dio era. Do you honestly think they’d be held up as one of the great bands of all time by critics and fans alike just based on the Dio stuff, even throwing in the Gillan and Tony Martin albums which many people like?

Now imagine we did have the Ozzy era but none of the rest existed. Do you think it would make one jot of difference to their status as an all time great band? It wouldn’t.

I like the Dio albums, they’re really good records and were no doubt noteworthy upon release as Sabbath were a huge band and people wanted to see what they’d do without Ozzy. History has shown though that the Dio version of Sabbath is not what people think of when they talk about this incredible pioneering band that changed music. Dio’s Sabbath were just a really good rock band and I’ve no doubt that many metal fans will debate which was better because they were quite a different band with Dio’s more melodic vocals and fantasy lyrics. Do you prefer the doomy bluesy Sabbath or the epic fantasy melodic Sabbath? I like both but one changed the world and the other didn’t.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
I also saw the Dehuminizer tour and frankly, I was never in love with that album. It felt like they were going through the motions. Still, it's Dio, it's Sabbath, and I think in the end, it has aged pretty well.

Pete, I am more than willing to concede that Sabbath's true legacy is tied to the Ozzy years. No question. But, you tell me that I can only listen to ONE Black Sabbath album for the rest of my life, I'm choosing Heaven And Hell, and I don't even have to think about it. I turned 12 in 1980, so my musical coming of age coincided with Heaven And Hell and to a lesser extent, Mob Rules. I also owned We Sold Our Soul during this time, and honestly, it didn't do anything for me. Nowadays I certainly love Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. And even Never Say Die.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
I totally get that, that album is awesome and there will be plenty who’d agree with you as Dio is a far superior singer technically and his Sabbath is more accessible in terms of being more melodic and catchy. I’d probably go with Paranoid but luckily we can listen to both!

I always used to hear years ago that the Tony Martin stuff was really good too but last time I checked it was hard to get hold of.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
I totally get that, that album is awesome and there will be plenty who’d agree with you as Dio is a far superior singer technically and his Sabbath is more accessible in terms of being more melodic and catchy. I’d probably go with Paranoid but luckily we can listen to both!

I always used to hear years ago that the Tony Martin stuff was really good too but last time I checked it was hard to get hold of.

Taking it here:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52859.0

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2018, 08:41:23 AM »
EDIT.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »
Dehumanizer was not a huge deal and this is coming from someone who saw that tour. The second an Ozzy return was mooted, people couldn’t get him back quick enough.

Let me put this another way. Imagine Sabbath had never existed before the Dio era. Do you honestly think they’d be held up as one of the great bands of all time by critics and fans alike just based on the Dio stuff, even throwing in the Gillan and Tony Martin albums which many people like?

Now imagine we did have the Ozzy era but none of the rest existed. Do you think it would make one jot of difference to their status as an all time great band? It wouldn’t.

I like the Dio albums, they’re really good records and were no doubt noteworthy upon release as Sabbath were a huge band and people wanted to see what they’d do without Ozzy. History has shown though that the Dio version of Sabbath is not what people think of when they talk about this incredible pioneering band that changed music. Dio’s Sabbath were just a really good rock band and I’ve no doubt that many metal fans will debate which was better because they were quite a different band with Dio’s more melodic vocals and fantasy lyrics. Do you prefer the doomy bluesy Sabbath or the epic fantasy melodic Sabbath? I like both but one changed the world and the other didn’t.

Dehumanizer was a big deal where I was.

As for the rest of this, which "people" are you talking about when you say that "the Dio version of Sabbath is not what people think of when they talk about" Sabbath?  It's what I talk about, and it's what most people I know talk about.  "Ozzy v. Dio" is one of the bigger debates in metal and has been since the 80s.  Was the Ozzy era more "important" to the development of metal?  Well, duh, but that's a different point altogether.