Author Topic: Grateful Dead  (Read 576 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Grateful Dead
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:01:13 AM »
So I've been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead recently, and I mean a LOT, especially the various live releases from their 89/90 tour, widely regarded as one of their best. It appears that after all these years I've finally got "on the bus" with this band. The way Garcia can make that guitar sound like a trumpet, then a flute, then a steel drum, is a joy to behold.
Shame about all that Drums/Space nonsense though...

Anyone else wanna share the love for the Dead??  :hat
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Grateful Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:38:32 AM »
Terrapin Station is awesome and very much a progressive rock record.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Grateful Dead
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:06:10 AM »
I'm in, though I'm a Keith Godcheaux fan, so for me, the goods are about 1972 to 1978, with the sweetspot being '74 to '77. 

I have all the Dave's Picks releases (there are about 30 now) and they are to a unit, stellar.   All full concerts, all impeccably recorded.

I am NOT a studio fan, though, except for Terrapin Station and Anthem Of The Sun (if you like Crimson, you'll like AOTS; it was recorded almost exactly like Starless and Bible Black).   

The more "typical" dead (American Beauty, or the Brent Mydland years) I can take or leave, and I CAN'T STAND Pigpen's singing ("Turn On Your Love Light" is a wasted 20 minutes for me).