Author Topic: What songs should DT refrain from ever playing live again?  (Read 8284 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: What songs should DT refrain from ever playing live again?
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »

Its a matter of personal respect. MP has made it clear that the song is very personal to him and he would find it odd if DT played it without him. The DT guys are respecting this. I don't see an issue. They're being classy.

Agreed. 

And since JP hates medleys, the odds of ever seeing that ending guitar solo played live are slim to none as well.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 02:25:30 AM »
Petruccinator is not alone in that respect. I'm no fan of these either.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
After seeing I&W live last year, one of my initial thoughts was that this would be a good send off for those songs. They have all been heavily documented on live recordings and I imagine the vast majority of fans have heard them live. I wouldn't mind if they retired I&W as a whole and devoted concerts to the rest of their catalog.

I definitely understand the argument that every DT show is somebody's first DT show, but they're in a unique position here. I&W helped bring in fans during the MTV days, but they have other albums that are equally influential and just as loved by fans. They are one of the few established bands I can think of who routinely perform gigs without playing anything from their most commercially successful album and nobody complains.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
TTT is really the only one I can think of. I was already in semi-retirement, and it should (IMO) not have come out of it, or at the very least in a highly modified version that James can sing.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
After seeing I&W live last year, one of my initial thoughts was that this would be a good send off for those songs. They have all been heavily documented on live recordings and I imagine the vast majority of fans have heard them live. I wouldn't mind if they retired I&W as a whole and devoted concerts to the rest of their catalog.

Great point.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
I don't really care for "Innocence Faded"

:(

Don't know why that is surprising, seeing as the song gets little love from DT either. It's among the bottom ten percentile of live performed songs of the songs DT has released on albums.

I'd like to think that's because it is fucking difficult to sing in the first place! :lol One of my absolute favourites, but I'm not sure if James could pull it off these days.

There are some songs I don't care about at all, but they are from Rudess era. If we're talking about older songs, Caught in a Web may go and enjoy its retirement somewhere nice, away from setlists. I like it, but I saw it live in 30th anniversary tour and James' performance was rather rough.

On topic....

Everything from WDaDU

Please not until we hear The Killing Hand again once more.

Yes!

Most of WDADU is already retired. Too bad, I love that album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »
Home, and A Nightmare to Remember. Both good songs but take up too much reale-estate in a setlist. They have other long songs that are more exciting to listen to in a live setting.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
Home, and A Nightmare to Remember. Both good songs but take up too much reale-estate in a setlist. They have other long songs that are more exciting to listen to in a live setting.

Oh boy, I hope not! Home is one of my favorites (and I think for a lot of fans). Yeah, it's long, but it's too good to never play again. And they haven't pulled out Nightmare since the Black Clouds tour. I'm hoping for at least one tour with that song with Mangini behind the kit.

As far as what I think should be retired... other than I&W stuff taking a long break, I don't think anything should be "retired." If they never play certain songs again, that's fine. But I hope they keep rotating the set enough that we get enough variety through the final years of the band. I don't need to hear them play Spirit Carries On or Pull Me Under or As I Am again, but if they take a break from those and bring them back in 8-10 years, then that's fine.

All I really care about is if my list of "songs I haven't seen" continues to dwindle down as time goes on. Every tour since 2004 has given me the opportunity to cross off at least one song I haven't seen, sometimes a few (like HK, TLF, and TBP on the last tour). I think I'm down to about 17 songs, so don't go retiring The Killing Hand or Through Her Eyes just yet please.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online pg1067

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
All I really care about is if my list of "songs I haven't seen" continues to dwindle down as time goes on. Every tour since 2004 has given me the opportunity to cross off at least one song I haven't seen, sometimes a few (like HK, TLF, and TBP on the last tour). I think I'm down to about 17 songs, so don't go retiring The Killing Hand or Through Her Eyes just yet please.

This prompted me to take a look at my list of songs I haven't seen yet.

That list includes everything from The Astonishing, which I'm generally ok with (although at some point the album might grab me, and I'll wish I hadn't missed the opportunity).  Also, having missed ever tour from FII through SDOIT, there are some large chunks missing for me.

Not including non album tracks (none of which particularly care about), I guess these are the songs I haven't seen that I'd like to see (and, hence, hope don't get "retired"):

Anna Lee
Glass Prison
War Inside My Head
The Test That Stumped Them All
Vacant
Wither

Also, I've never seen either SFaM or SDoIT in its entirety, so I'd like that to happen (but am not holding my breath).  The only parts of SFaM I haven't seen are parts I don't really need to see outside the context of the whole thing.  Fortunately, I got to see both The Killing Hand and Only a Matter of Time on the I&W tour.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »
Same here. Heard everything from SFAM except Through Her Eyes, and most of Six Degrees but not the whole thing. But I have been blessed in hearing everything I wanted to hear in the many times I've seen them, to the point that now I have actually You Not Me on my list of songs I'd like to see played live.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
Oh, cool, I’ll make a list of the DT songs I haven’t seen played live:

- All of them.

:'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2018, 05:12:21 PM »
Oh boy, I hope not! Home is one of my favorites (and I think for a lot of fans). Yeah, it's long, but it's too good to never play again. And they haven't pulled out Nightmare since the Black Clouds tour. I'm hoping for at least one tour with that song with Mangini behind the kit.

As far as what I think should be retired... other than I&W stuff taking a long break, I don't think anything should be "retired." If they never play certain songs again, that's fine. But I hope they keep rotating the set enough that we get enough variety through the final years of the band. I don't need to hear them play Spirit Carries On or Pull Me Under or As I Am again, but if they take a break from those and bring them back in 8-10 years, then that's fine.

All I really care about is if my list of "songs I haven't seen" continues to dwindle down as time goes on.
This sums up my feelings perfectly. It's a shame that I didn't get to catch them on the last tour - especially when DLPM was in the setlist - but I would love to see them rotate more songs into the setlist (or maybe setlists?!?) of the next tour and give a looooooong break to the perennial favorites that always seem to rear their ugly heads (such as the 3 selected as the encore classics at the end of the Astonishing tour).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
I agree, TSCO, AIA and PMU have been overplayed the last few years. And, as much as I love the song, I think BAI should be put to rest for a while. It's been played extensively on 3 out of 5 tours they've done with MM.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
Pull me under is always slightly embarrassing live. Please let it die or figure it out

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
Please retire everything from The Astonishing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 04:04:24 AM »

Please retire everything before The Astonishing

:P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
I've never thought that Pull Me Under came off that well live, so I'd be fine with that being put away for good, but The Spirit Carries On and As I Am are massive crowd favorites that always get big reactions. Is it really that strange for a band to want to play songs that live crowds always go crazy for?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »
I've never thought that Pull Me Under came off that well live, so I'd be fine with that being put away for good, but The Spirit Carries On and As I Am are massive crowd favorites that always get big reactions. Is it really that strange for a band to want to play songs that live crowds always go crazy for?
But I've heard those songs live before and they should cater to ME!

Honestly, apart from PMU and Metropolis, which probably can't be avoided completely due to their popularity, I'd be fine with the band retiring I&W and the most difficult songs on Awake like Caught in a Web, given that James is having a hard time with that stuff even despite the downtuning and vocal melody variations.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
We've already had this discussion before. If that was the mentality the band went with (playing songs that live crowds always go crazy for), then a good 90 minutes or more of the setlist would automatically be filled with songs like Metropolis, The Mirror/Lie, TDEN, ACoS, etc. besides PMU, AIA and TSCO, leaving 30 to 60 minutes (depending on if headlining or evening with gigs) to be filled with new material and a couple of "deep" album cuts. Is it really that strange for fans to not want to see the same set of songs over and over, not just from show to show, but tour to tour?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
I get what people are saying about re-working the melodies instead of never playing the songs again BUTT LaBrie's high parts are a big part of what makes those songs so fucking good. However, I'd rather he re-work the melodies or whatever rather than never hearing Metropolis Part I ever again.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
We've already had this discussion before. If that was the mentality the band went with (playing songs that live crowds always go crazy for), then a good 90 minutes or more of the setlist would automatically be filled with songs like Metropolis, The Mirror/Lie, TDEN, ACoS, etc. besides PMU, AIA and TSCO, leaving 30 to 60 minutes (depending on if headlining or evening with gigs) to be filled with new material and a couple of "deep" album cuts. Is it really that strange for fans to not want to see the same set of songs over and over, not just from show to show, but tour to tour?

No one said they should play all of the songs the crowd goes crazy for, and they do not play The Spirit Carries On and As I Am at every show. Far from it.

And they do not play the same set of songs over and over, from tour to tour.  They have done an outstanding job this decade of changing up the sets from tour to tour.

Accepting the fact that I know you will never be happy with what they do with the set lists sans Portnoy no matter what, I'm not really sure what you were getting at with that post, to be honest.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:50:38 AM by KevShmev »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
For tours, they can play whatever. But for the next DVD, I would really like it if they didn't release songs that are on multiple DVD's already. I dunno. Just me, I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »
No one said they should play all of the songs the crowd goes crazy for,
No, but you're basically implying that they should play some of them at every show with the rhetorical question at the end of your post.

and they do not play The Spirit Carries On and As I Am at every show. And they do not play the same set of songs over and over, from tour to tour.  They have done an outstanding job this decade of changing up the sets from tour to tour.
I'm aware of this, although TSCO, AIA, PMU and BAI have been included in the MM-era setlists more often than any other songs. It would be nice for them to give these overplayed songs (and by that, I don't just mean from the MM-era, but even going back to the MP-era) a rest in favor of more of the catalog that hasn't been played for a while.

They have done an outstanding job this decade of changing up the sets from tour to tour.
Agreed, but given the lack of rotating setlists, how about they play a completely different setlist on each tour with nothing repeated (aside from a couple songs that were new from the previous album cycle)? Considering the sizable catalog they have, and the number of fan favorites within it, it's something they could easily do for several tours.

I'm not really sure what you were getting at with that post, to be honest.
Quite simply, I'm rebutting your implication that the band should include certain songs at every show they play, just because the crowd goes crazy for them.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:21 AM »
For tours, they can play whatever. But for the next DVD, I would really like it if they didn't release songs that are on multiple DVD's already. I dunno. Just me, I guess.

Totally not just you.  They blew it by playing most of 6DoIT on LaB and then the entire thing on the very next one (SCORE)... and this was when MP controlled every set list and had the master plans in his Finder Binder.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 06:34:39 AM »
No, but you're basically implying that they should play some of them at every show with the rhetorical question at the end of your post.

Quite simply, I'm rebutting your implication that the band should include certain songs at every show they play, just because the crowd goes crazy for them.

That is not what I was implying.  Maybe focus on what I actually said?

They have done an outstanding job this decade of changing up the sets from tour to tour.
Agreed, but given the lack of rotating setlists, how about they play a completely different setlist on each tour with nothing repeated (aside from a couple songs that were new from the previous album cycle)? Considering the sizable catalog they have, and the number of fan favorites within it, it's something they could easily do for several tours.

The DT12 tour did exactly that, playing nothing that had been played on the prior tour (aside from the two ADTOE songs).  And it included two older songs that had never been played live (The Shattered Fortress and Space Dye Vest).

Most of the TA era was all songs never played before (yes, all new, but it still counts).

Heck, even last year's I&W anniversary tour for a while featured about as deep a Dream Theater cut as you will find that had never been played (Don't Look past Me).  I would call that especially special.

What else ya got?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »
 I think the setlists have been great since MP left, although I do miss the unpredictability aspect of seeing them live and not having a clue of what we'd get. They foind a great solution on the ADTOE tour, where two or three spots had rotating songs every night - you kinda knew what you'd get, but at the same time things could change in the last minute. I think Metallica and Rush have done that too, and it works well in my book.

I love Metropolis, Pull Me under and As I Am, and have no problem with them playing those songs on every tour. The one song I think should be retired is TSCO. I posted about The Astonishing above, but if we ever get songs from it again it will last only 3 or 4 minutes in a 3 hour show, so I really can't complain.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »

That is not what I was implying.  Maybe focus on what I actually said?
Argue all you want, but I know this is how you feel, since it's something you've already brought up previously.

The DT12 tour did exactly that, playing nothing that had been played on the prior tour (aside from the two ADTOE songs).  And it included two older songs that had never been played live (The Shattered Fortress and Space Dye Vest).
I'll give you that, and I was happy to see things changed up, not featuring a single IaW song (aside from at a few festival dates).

Most of the TA era was all songs never played before (yes, all new, but it still counts).
True, but when they did decide to cut some TA songs and add an encore, what did they play? AIA, TSCO and PMU.

Heck, even last year's I&W anniversary tour for a while featured about as deep a Dream Theater cut as you will find that had never been played (Don't Look past Me).  I would call that especially special.
That was especially special. And major props for them finally playing it. Only problem was, that song was only featured on the very last leg of the tour. Not only that, it was dropped halfway into the leg of that tour, and TLF shortly after that. And what were they both replaced with? TSCO. Yet again.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
That was especially special. And major props for them finally playing it. Only problem was, that song was only featured on the very last leg of the tour. Not only that, it was dropped halfway into the leg of that tour, and TLF shortly after that. And what were they both replaced with? TSCO. Yet again.
Yeah, the dropping of those songs was really disappointing. I was lucky enough to hear TLF before they dropped it, but unlucky enough to be the second show after DLPM was dropped. It's just something that I don't get. The show is supposed to be a special night focusing on I&W, so JP decides to pull out a couple B-sides from that era. Obviously not everyone will be familiar with those songs. But die-hards, like myself, go crazy for stuff like that. And it seems the lack of audience response was the reason for the change. But what gets me, is that the songs were not even introduced! Maybe if they took a minute to explain what was coming, the audience would have given a little more appreciation towards the band. And also, I find it funny that the band seems to NEED the best reaction for every song. They already had AIA, PMU, the rest of I&W, and ACOS in the setlist. They couldn't play 6-10 minutes of obscurity for the sake of their die-hard fans who maybe (definitely, in the case of DLPM) have never had the opportunity to see these songs? Nope, lets bring out The Spirit Carries On. Again.

I know it seems like complaining, but some people would really rather hear something live they have never heard, even if it's an "inferior" song, than a "better, more well liked" song for the fourth or fifth time.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
In my opinion, no song should ever be retired -- not an I&W song, not a WDADU song, not a Majesty track should be put on a "Never to be played, ever!" list. James LaBrie very clearly couldn't keep up with a full album performance of I&W as-is, so they tuned it down a semitone. Rush did that, even going further than that for some songs, and it allowed them to continue playing classic fan favourite songs up to and on the R40 tour that Geddy Lee simply couldn't keep up with anymore.

So, in terms of LaBrie potentially having trouble with some songs -- not an issue, IMO. DT have shown they're willing to tune songs down, it went down a treat, no reason they can't continue to do that for any problematic songs or runs of songs, and as always, any particular sections of songs, LaBrie can easily just sing an altered melody(See: Take The Time circa 2002, Learning To Live circa 1999-2002, Don't Look Past Me circa 2017). So, in terms of taking songs out of rotation for vocal reasons, I would say absolutely not.

With that out of the way, the only thing that really leaves is the idea of songs that shouldn't be played for reasons such as the songs themselves being "Bad"(Bad is in quotes as I would say it's a poor word to use, given how subjective all this is), or personal significance, like with Best Of Times. I think the thing about all this is that if the band feels the time is right to play any given song, they should play it. Whether that means bringing out New Millennium(A song JLB isn't a fan of, and thus is unlikely to be played live again) for one last time before retiring it, or doing whatever is necessary for it to be okay for them to play The Best Of Times, even if it's only done as a one-off under special conditions.

So, I don't think any song should ever be off the table. No, not even Raw Dog.

Though, having said that, I'd be really glad if they do stick with the idea of never doing any medleys of any kind ever again; if you're going to play 10-15 minutes of instrumental greatness, just play Stream Of Consciousness in full. Instrumedley was a pretty neat thing, but I'd prefer just hearing a handful of the individual songs contained within it than hearing just little bits and pieces.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
True, but when they did decide to cut some TA songs and add an encore, what did they play? AIA, TSCO and PMU.

True.  But while I have to say that while I feel that AIA and TSCO are both overplayed AND some of my least favorite in the DT catalog for songs I would actually want to see live again, they got a REALLY strong response at the show I attended in Reno.  The crowd REALLY got into it, and the band looked really energized.

Totally not just you.  They blew it by playing most of 6DoIT on LaB and then the entire thing on the very next one (SCORE)... and this was when MP controlled every set list and had the master plans in his Finder Binder.

I've always felt pretty forgiving of that simply because of how it ended up going down.  It was a logical choice for the L@B show, given what they were trying to accomplish.  I think, at the time, they didn't really foresee an opportunity to go back and revisit the entire SDOIT song in its entirety for a live release.  Not having an official release from the SDOIT tour was really a bummer, and the band wanted to compensate for that a bit by representing it well (although, in retrospect, having TGP or Misunderstood would have been better and would still have fit well with the vibe of that show).  I don't remember hardly anyone complaining about the L@B set at the time, or at least not that part of the set.  It was only in retrospect when they played the entire song on Score that we could look back and think about what could have been.  But the opportunity to do SDOIT with an orchestra was great as well (even if the actual execution of that idea may have fallen a bit short).  I dunno.  It's just "one of those things." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »

I've always felt pretty forgiving of that simply because of how it ended up going down.  It was a logical choice for the L@B show, given what they were trying to accomplish.  I think, at the time, they didn't really foresee an opportunity to go back and revisit the entire SDOIT song in its entirety for a live release.  Not having an official release from the SDOIT tour was really a bummer, and the band wanted to compensate for that a bit by representing it well (although, in retrospect, having TGP or Misunderstood would have been better and would still have fit well with the vibe of that show).  I don't remember hardly anyone complaining about the L@B set at the time, or at least not that part of the set.  It was only in retrospect when they played the entire song on Score that we could look back and think about what could have been.  But the opportunity to do SDOIT with an orchestra was great as well (even if the actual execution of that idea may have fallen a bit short).  I dunno.  It's just "one of those things."
To be honest, I always kinda liked having the multiple different live versions available. Only thing that really makes this an issue for me is the fact that with the Bucharest official bootleg, we have two official, awesome live versions of the full 6DOIT title track, leaving the Budokan pieces as a bit of an oddity... And yet, I think it does kinda fit with the way Budokan took some fairly random things we're all already familiar with and did them in an unusual manner(See: Instrumedley, Beyond This Life with the odd middle-section, Hollow Years), which the other DVDs did significantly less.

I think, in hindsight, it would have been nice to have some of the other tracks off 6DOIT on Budokan, especially if Misunderstood ended up on there, since IIRC that song has never been on a DVD, even if you include Bucharest, which had every other song apart from Disappear, if you include the bonus tracks(Specifically Blind Faith) from Mexico City... But honestly, when we have DVDs as awesome as Budokan, Score, and Bucharest, these are really only minor gripes. I have a hard time actually criticising any of these DVDs.

Though, the one thing I would say against Bucharest is that they should have had a logoless master of the main set produced and put that out -- with the Mexico City bonus tracks -- as a main-line DVD back in 2002/2003. Goddamn awesome DVD, only complaints that could be levelled at it are a couple of minor sound issues(Bass mutes for a few seconds in the middle of Scarred, which could be fixed for a main DVD with an overdub, keyboard switches to the wrong sound for the first few notes in one of the choruses of Lifting Shadows, and the audience is pretty much mute).
If things are as you say, Bosk, then if they'd done this, this might have lead Portnoy to reconsider putting the 6DOIT title track pieces in the Budokan show's set. Might've even resulted in Instrumedley being dropped too, if they threw in a version of that on a hypothetical World Tourbulence DVD as a bonus track instead, possibly with the shorter arrangement of Lines In The Sand they played after it for some shows on the US leg, where Doug Pinnick joined them for the choruses.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
I don't think the Ytsejam releases would have had any impact on the set, even if they had altered those.  The ones you are talking about, if I am not mistaken, were released some time after L@B. 

I agree with you on Misunderstood.  Again, hindsight is 20/20.  But in looking back now, it would have fit perfectly.  It would not have made the set any longer if they swapped it for the Goodnight Kiss/Solitary Shell portion.  And it would have fit the vibe of the show really well.

For that Lines in the Sand arrangement, you might already know this, but in case you don't:  That wasn't for the actual SDOIT tour.  That was from the summer tour they did with King's X and Satriani in the U.S.  The sets for those shows were pretty good, but somewhat unusual.  The thread with those set lists is here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39071.0  (IMO, the sets for the following summer tour with Queensryche were AMAZING!)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
I don't think the Ytsejam releases would have had any impact on the set, even if they had altered those.  The ones you are talking about, if I am not mistaken, were released some time after L@B.
Yes, indeed. As I say though, I'm suggesting they should have released it as a main-line DVD. :)

I agree with you on Misunderstood.  Again, hindsight is 20/20.  But in looking back now, it would have fit perfectly.  It would not have made the set any longer if they swapped it for the Goodnight Kiss/Solitary Shell portion.  And it would have fit the vibe of the show really well.
Yep. :)

For that Lines in the Sand arrangement, you might already know this, but in case you don't:  That wasn't for the actual SDOIT tour.  That was from the summer tour they did with King's X and Satriani in the U.S.  The sets for those shows were pretty good, but somewhat unusual.  The thread with those set lists is here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=39071.0  (IMO, the sets for the following summer tour with Queensryche were AMAZING!)
Well, I guess... Still, it's more to do with the different legs of the touring for 6DOIT than them being totally different tours alltogether, so I think it would be a worthy inclusion if they were going to do something like that with a DVD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
Well, I guess... Still, it's more to do with the different legs of the touring for 6DOIT than them being totally different tours alltogether, so I think it would be a worthy inclusion if they were going to do something like that with a DVD.

Oh, I'm not arguing against the point you are making.  I'm just clarifying what that tour was.  That and the Escape from the Studio tours they did the following summer weren't really tours "supporting" a particular album.  They were cool package tours that just happened to coincide with that album/tour cycle.  Does that change anything about your point?  Nope.  Just providing some background, that's all.