Author Topic: Which Animals As Leaders album would you recommend?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Which Animals As Leaders album would you recommend?
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »
I've read good things about the band and I don't own any of their albums. So my question is: Would you recommend either their first record or Joy Of Motion or Madness Of Many? (based on how technically advanced they are)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Which Animals As Leaders album would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
My personal favorite is The Joy of Motion.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
I've read good things about the band and I don't own any of their albums. So my question is: Would you recommend either their first record or Joy Of Motion or Madness Of Many? (based on how technically advanced they are)

I wouldn't base which album to start with on how technically advanced they are. I like Joy of Motion more, so I'd say start there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »
4'33" by John Cage

to be fair the first AAL album has a few solid songs on it but I've personally been bored by everything they've put out since

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
4'33" by John Cage

to be fair the first AAL album has a few solid songs on it but I've personally been bored by everything they've put out since

I laughed a lot because you referenced John Cage.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

I wouldn't base which album to start with on how technically advanced they are. I like Joy of Motion more, so I'd say start there.
I knew from the beginning that that parameter isn't used by a lot of people concerning music. I have reasons why I included that though. Thanks for your input. I will consider them all, so please keep them coming

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
Based on this post I'm not sure if you're either not in the know that they have four albums or just tried it and didn't like it. If the former, they have another album (their second) titled Weightless, and that's the one with in my opinion the most good songs on it. I'm not a huge fan of the band and they're definitely a case of 'some strong songs but no single consistently great album' for me, but Weightless is for me the one with the most quality.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »
There's actually already an Animals as Leaders thread, although no one's posted there in a while: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=23630.0
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
Thanks. I used the search engine though and didn't find it right away. (Didn't look hard enough probably)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
Based on this post I'm not sure if you're either not in the know that they have four albums or just tried it and didn't like it. If the former, they have another album (their second) titled Weightless, and that's the one with in my opinion the most good songs on it. I'm not a huge fan of the band and they're definitely a case of 'some strong songs but no single consistently great album' for me, but Weightless is for me the one with the most quality.
Little bit of both actually. I tried some things and found them sounding weird (as in: I wasn't able to hear every note, and when it's "mud sauce" for lack of a better term, my brain shuts down and that's it. And I think my hearing is alright) And I knew that Weightless exists, but that's all I know about that one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
I'd say TMOM is more technically advanced, but TJOM is a better album.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."