Author Topic: John Petrucci is Dream Theater's ace  (Read 3722 times)

Offline erwinrafael

John Petrucci is Dream Theater's ace
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:58:17 AM »
The past three days, I have been listening to albums from my favorite prog metal bands: Dream Theater's Awake, SDOIT and DT12, Haken's Affinity and The Mountain, Icefish's Human Hardware, and Fates Warning's Theories of Flight. Something struck me.

The drummers cancel each other out. Portnoy, Mangini, Donati, Jarzombek and Hearne pretty much match each other. They all have distinct strengths, but liking one over the other is really about taste because they are all amazing drummers. Hearne is very underrated, he's like a bastard child of Portnoy and Mangini.

Keyboardists, Jordan is the virtuoso, but the Haken tandem of Tejeida and Henshall, and Icefish's Alex Argento can match him in terms of making beautiful soundscapes (and sometime they're even better in terms of creating moods and memorable melodies).

Bassists, I am really partial to Myung, but Conner Green and Joey Vera are amazing as well.

Vocals, I would say LaBrie at his peak really has the edge. But average LaBrie, the others can match him. Especially Ray Alder.

However, when it comes to guitarists, the difference is night and day. John Petrucci lords over them. Nearest to him is Marco Sfogli, but even then Marco just sounds like John's apprentice.

Which is why John Petrucci is Dream Theater's ace, which distinguishes them from the other big names in the prog metal scene.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:27:47 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Architeuthis

Re: John Petrucci is Dream Theater's ace
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:22 AM »
John Petrucci is THE "King of Strings" in my book!  nuff said..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »
I'm not a guitar player connoisseur, but Petrucci is the only guy I can think of who is both a great player and songwriter. He can shred on the same stage as Steve Vai or crank out a power ballad like "Chosen". I am eternally grateful that I had a chance to meet the guy, even if I was a fumbling fanboy the whole time. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:32:02 AM »
JP is indeed amazing. He is the driving force and his sense of melody combined with progressiveness is unique.
I kind of miss his older, more jazzy/fusion style, and i also miss his more straightforward sound, but i get that he wants to try different things.
Really admirable player and composer.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:01:16 AM »
I would agree with the overall thought that JP is the "ace" or key of the group. For me, everything has always revolved around his guitar.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »
Remember all those fanboys crying that it wasn't DT anymore after Portnoy quit?  That would be me if Petrucci left the band!!  To me, he is, and always has been, the one member of DT that cannot be replaced.  JLB does give the band a unique sound but I could live with another singer, I couldn't imagine the band without JP's playing or songwriting.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
I'm not a guitar player connoisseur, but Petrucci is the only guy I can think of who is both a great player and songwriter. He can shred on the same stage as Steve Vai or crank out a power ballad like "Chosen". I am eternally grateful that I had a chance to meet the guy, even if I was a fumbling fanboy the whole time. :lol

The only person I can think of that can "do it all" (play, write, produce) anywhere near Petrucci's level is Michael Romeo of Symphony X.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:47:22 AM »

The only person I can think of that can "do it all" (play, write, produce) anywhere near Petrucci's level is Michael Romeo of Symphony X.

Brian May. And he can sing, so he has one up Petrucci.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
Well...opinions.

Mine is that Matheos is a lot closer to Petrucci than Vera is to Myung.  Joey's a really good player (and certainly better than his early work with Armored Saint might lead one to believe), but his recorded work isn't even close to the same level as that of JM.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
Remember all those fanboys crying that it wasn't DT anymore after Portnoy quit?  That would be me if Petrucci left the band!!  To me, he is, and always has been, the one member of DT that cannot be replaced.  JLB does give the band a unique sound but I could live with another singer, I couldn't imagine the band without JP's playing or songwriting.

Exactly this! JP is to DT what Akerfeldt is to Opeth or Mustaine to Megadeth, imo (as in band leader and main composer).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
I'll agree.  JP is my favorite guitarist and his song writing and playing abilities just put him in a league of his own IMO.  All of DT are talented, but JP is the most talented.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
I think Richard and Charles from Haken come closer to JP than Marco.  But yeah, there's only one JP.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
As instrumentalist/musician/composer/bandleader he's in pretty exclusive company.

Robert Fripp, Mark Knopfler and Steve Harris come to mind, and that's stratosphere if you ask me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
Are Fripp and Knopfler still active? Not being an ass, but have Dire Straits been making albums right along? I know they blipped in the 80's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Knopfler has been doing solo work since 1995. His bands are really great though, you should see them if they come to your town.

Fripp still records live albums with King Crimson but, no to the studio albums.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
Knopfler is still active as solo (incredible) composer, but Johnny P beats him in longevity as bandleader.

Fripp is still active as everything, but Johnny P beats him in affability as human being.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
Are Fripp and Knopfler still active? Not being an ass, but have Dire Straits been making albums right along? I know they blipped in the 80's.

As someone who really likes Knopfler's solo work, I disagree with this.

I won't argue that JP is miles ahead of Knopfler regarding the diversity of his playing though. Knopfler mostly uses the same old tricks now, but damn me if those aren't good tricks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

Steven Wilson wins the "do it all" game.  :coolio

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
John Petrucci could never be replaced. He has such a diverse style and writes memorable solos with so much melody and great technique, plus he's an absolute monster on rhythm guitar as well!
 Another guitar player I'm really impressed with these days is Eric Gillette.  After watching the Neal Morse band perform Similitude of a Dream on blu-ray (live in Tilburg), I'm pretty blown away how good of a guitar player and singer he really is!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »

Daniel Gildenlow wins the "do it all" game.  :coolio

Totally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

Brian May. And he can sing, so he has one up Petrucci.

And play piano.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »
John Petrucci could never be replaced. He has such a diverse style and writes memorable solos with so much melody and great technique, plus he's an absolute monster on rhythm guitar as well!
 Another guitar player I'm really impressed with these days is Eric Gillette.  After watching the Neal Morse band perform Similitude of a Dream on blu-ray (live in Tilburg), I'm pretty blown away how good of a guitar player and singer he really is!

But he’s just Petrucci Jr. (and it was Mike Portnoy who called him that way).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
The drummers cancel each other out. Portnoy, Mangini, Donati, Jarzombek and Hearne pretty much match each other. They all have distinct strengths, but liking one over the other is really about taste because they are all amazing drummers.

Donati is in a league of his own. He is to drums what Allan Holdsworth is (was  :sad:) to guitar.

Back to the topic at hand, yes. JP is DT's ace. I think Jordan is the better overall musician, but JP is the all star. No JP, no DT.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
The drummers cancel each other out. Portnoy, Mangini, Donati, Jarzombek and Hearne pretty much match each other. They all have distinct strengths, but liking one over the other is really about taste because they are all amazing drummers.

Donati is in a league of his own. He is to drums what Allan Holdsworth is (was  :sad:) to guitar.

Back to the topic at hand, yes. JP is DT's ace. I think Jordan is the better overall musician, but JP is the all star. No JP, no DT.
because of his songwriting abilities I'd say (that's hard to deny IMHO and I won't)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gm5k

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 01:07:52 PM »

Petrucci Jr. as was mentioned earlier is Marco Sfogli.  Gillette is great, but Marco is truly one of the best rock guitarists on Earth.  Dude is unreal.  Wish he was in a DT style band where he had a lot of say in the direction of the music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »

Petrucci Jr. as was mentioned earlier is Marco Sfogli.  Gillette is great, but Marco is truly one of the best rock guitarists on Earth.  Dude is unreal.  Wish he was in a DT style band where he had a lot of say in the direction of the music.

Have you listened to Icefish? Sfogli and Virgil Donati play there, and it’s a DTish band :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »
I still need to get that album.  Totally forgot about it after someone had posted a thread in GM prior to release.   :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 10:54:54 PM »
Never heard of Marco Sfogli.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 10:56:55 PM »
Never heard of Marco Sfogli.

He's the guitarist on James's last three solo albums (EOP, SI and IR). He started pretty much as a JP clone, but has developed his own style and sound over time. He's an amazing player :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
Yeah, I guess he wasn't on the Mullmuzzler releases.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »

For me, it is a matter of taste. Mangini and Donati, in particular,  talentwise are in the same league along with Minnemann.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2018, 05:05:27 AM »
For me, another completely ignorant of the inside-outs of the guitar world, Petrucci excels.... well, at basically everything, but a part of him I love very much is his taste for melody. Pick for example his solo spots before usually The Spirit Carries On in previous recent tours, I can appreciate the shredding and the fast playing, but when he's soloing in a slow and delicate manner, I could listen for him going on and on and on. Simply mesmerizing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 01:57:24 AM »
Wow I never noticed JP was good on guitar. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 03:38:36 AM »
Wow I never noticed JP was good on guitar.

You should have written that in green because we can miss the sarcasm there... :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 03:58:17 AM »
I think Richard and Charles from Haken come closer to JP than Marco.  But yeah, there's only one JP.

Really? I still can't get into the way they compose their rhythn parts which sometimes is detrimental to their songs. For example, their almost comical guitar in Atlas Stone. What the hell were they trying to achieve with that?

And I honestly can not remember a memorable sing-along guitar solo from them.

Well...opinions.

Mine is that Matheos is a lot closer to Petrucci than Vera is to Myung.  Joey's a really good player (and certainly better than his early work with Armored Saint might lead one to believe), but his recorded work isn't even close to the same level as that of JM.

You know what, I think I may have overstated Joey Vera in relation to JM. But Conner Green of Haken, however, I would stick to my praise. :-)