Author Topic: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.  (Read 32914 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2018, 07:21:45 AM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
They could do a song called "ZRH" -- the three letter code for the airport in Zurich, Switzerland -- similar to Rush's "YYZ."

The could cover Black Sabbath's "Zero the Hero."

"Zephyr" or "Zodiac" would be an ok song title.

Maybe "Zest for Life."

Under "Q," words like "quandary," "quagmire," "quake" or "quaint" could have some potential.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
edit: didn't realize it was supposed to be starting with the letter, i can't read lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2018, 04:13:18 AM »
Zenith would be a cool song title

Q is a difficult one, but they have written a song called “Lord Nafaryus” so would “Quest for...” really out of left field?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2018, 04:40:57 AM »
Well, they've come relatively close to play Quest for Fire by Iron Maiden, since MP would have preferred to cover the Piece of Mind album, but opted for The Number of the Beast since it was more popular.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2018, 05:12:36 AM »
if you include the "The"s in the song titles, you can also add the letters K and X to that last. Also G depending on whether you consider Goodnight Kiss a standalone song.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
I think a song starting with Question(s) would be the way to go.  As for Z.... how about an instrumental called "Zeal"?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
Well, now that everyone's talking about that "10th song" of the new album, I remembered one very particular factoid about DT, and that is that they don't have a single album with 10 songs, which is a pretty average quantity of songs..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:05 AM »
Well, now that everyone's talking about that "10th song" of the new album, I remembered one very particular factoid about DT, and that is that they don't have a single album with 10 songs, which is a pretty average quantity of songs..

Wow, you're right. How did I never notice that? :o

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »
The WDADU tour and TA tour are the only two DT album-supporting tours that don’t have any pro shot footage (that we know of).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
The WDADU tour and TA tour are the only two DT album-supporting tours that don’t have any pro shot footage (that we know of).
BC/SL tour as well
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2018, 06:35:49 AM »
BC/SL tour as well

And DoT too.. :neverusethis:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
BC/SL tour as well

And DoT too.. :neverusethis:
well, obviously. (dear me...:D)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
BC/SL tour as well
Actually there's live pro shot footage from Summer Sonic 2010 and Download Festival 2009 for BC&SL.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
BC/SL tour as well
Actually there's live pro shot footage from Summer Sonic 2010 and Download Festival 2009 for BC&SL.

Yes, the Summer Sonic footage is very good btw :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
Mike Mangini is the only member of the band who received a box of Cuban cigars from management for Christmas last year.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
Counting current and former members, Charlie Dominici, Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess are the only DT members that don't have the same name of another DT member..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
Counting current and former members, Charlie Dominici, Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess are the only DT members that don't have the same name of another DT member..

And Chris Collins.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »

And Chris Collins.

But he wasn't a DT member..

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »

And Chris Collins.

But he was a member of the band regardless of the fact that they went by a different name at the time.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2018, 10:06:09 PM »

And Chris Collins.

But he was a member of the band regardless of the fact that they went by a different name at the time.  :P

This. Same band, different name :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
I'm with ToT on this one.  He did specify DT members, twice.  And one could also argue that because it was a different lineup, with a different name, that it was in fact a different band, even if it was mostly the same.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »
I'm with ToT on this one.  He did specify DT members, twice.  And one could also argue that because it was a different lineup, with a different name, that it was in fact a different band, even if it was mostly the same.

But every major DT anniversary (20 and 30 years) has been celebrated considering 1985 as the starting point, and that’s when Majesty was created. It’s not like they disbanded and formed a new band with a different name, they were forced to change their name due to legal issues with other band.

Their first “full” lineup had Petrucci, Myung, Portnoy, Moore and Collins, which is almost the same as the first “DT” lineup, just with a different vocalist.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #163 on: November 08, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
Also, they recorded WDaDU under the Majesty name, and only changed it in the months before it got released. Same band, different name.

However, I also don't really count Chris Collins, just because he only did demos with the band and never performed on an album. Kind of like how Dave Mustaine was not inducted into the RnRHoF with Metallica for the same reasons.

So I see both arguments, kind of.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »
Also, they recorded WDaDU under the Majesty name, and only changed it in the months before it got released. Same band, different name.

However, I also don't really count Chris Collins, just because he only did demos with the band and never performed on an album. Kind of like how Dave Mustaine was not inducted into the RnRHoF with Metallica for the same reasons.

I know he wasn't, but for me Paul Di'Anno is Iron Maiden's first singer. And James is the second DT singer for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »

But we shouldn’t forget that

(I know he didn’t but it’s funny anyway :lol)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

And Chris Collins.

True, but Collins never performed on any official band releases, so he can be excluded for the same reason that most folks would exclude Jeff Jones as a former member of Rush and Ron McGovney as a former member of Metallica.  Also, and while this isn't anything official, one of the 5/8 references that came up when 8VA was released was that the band had five current members and 8 total members (including both current and former members).  That wouldn't have worked if you included Collins.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »

And Chris Collins.

True, but Collins never performed on any official band releases, so he can be excluded for the same reason that most folks would exclude Jeff Jones as a former member of Rush and Ron McGovney as a former member of Metallica.  Also, and while this isn't anything official, one of the 5/8 references that came up when 8VA was released was that the band had five current members and 8 total members (including both current and former members).  That wouldn't have worked if you included Collins.

He was listed as a former member of the band on The Score so Far... documentary, though.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
I guess we're all right on this one.. :lol

Anyways, semantic issues aside, my point was that six!!! members of the same band share names.. You don't see that very often..

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
Anyways, semantic issues aside, my point was that six!!! members of the same band share names.. You don't see that very often..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jackson_5
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #171 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
 :rollin

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
 :lol

But they're five, not six.. :loser:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »
Youngest brother Randy Jackson later joined the group and with the return of Jermaine Jackson, they released Victory, the only album with all six Jackson brothers.

It's actually a pretty good album.  It's like The Jackson Five updated for the 80's.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:17:32 AM by Orbert »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Youngest brother Randy Jackson joined the group and they released one official album as The Jacksons, titled Victory.  It is the only album with all six Jackson brothers.

It's actually a pretty good album.  It's like The Jackson Five updated for the 80's.

That tour was HUGE.  Allowed the whole family to capitalize on the success of Thriller.