Author Topic: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.  (Read 32933 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 01:52:52 AM »
DT12 is the only studio album with musical contributions by all members..

Aren't most DT songs credited to the whole band for music?

Short answer: no..

Very long answer: all DT albums from WDADU to SC -save SDoIT and ToT- credit every song to "Dream Theater", except for some songs that are credited to one band member: WFS and SDV (KM), TSM, Regression and TMW (JP).. In SDoIT, ToT and BC&SL, they credited all songs to "JM, JP, MP and JR", except Vacant (JM and JR) and Wither (JP).. So, no many know this, but the guys (or maybe only Portnoy) made that change in those albums and credited "who actually composed the songs" because they (or he) wanted more participation from James in the making process of the songs, since he seemed to be losing interest even in being there while they were "creating the music to which he'll actually sing over" (these are not exact phrases, but very aproximated to what the interviews in the Lifting Shadows biography say)..

Moreover, another little issue about this was that James in the interviews was actually giving the impression that he was composing the music too, so for all of this they had a reunion in which they ask him to get involve a bit more in the making process and he thought it was fair enough.. So he did and throughout ToT, 8V and SC he was always there at least listening and watching them, and slightly helping to create the songs.. Still, the credits excluded him (and justly).. But since ADToE he kind of replaced Portnoy and started adding actual sections to some songs (some more evident than others, like the post-chorus of BMU,BMD), and the album kept the BC&SL way of crediting, but now would actually make more sense, so to speak, since there are all kind of different combinations of authors..

And we finally got to DT12, the last album until now in having discriminated credits, since TA is entirely credited to JP and JR.. In the self-titled, there are six songs that are, for the first time, credited to every single band member, and not just to "Dream Theater", like those three albums in which James didn't participate and so the "DT" corresponded only to the four guys.. (note that seven songs off WDADU are also credited to "DT", but I think in this one Dominici did contribute to the music, because TYJ excludes him, unlike the rest of the instrumentals that don't exclude James -they don't not because he has co-created the track, but because he didn't co-create any of the songs from I&W to BC&SL)..

So, out of all this mess, I have another one: there are only three songs in the entire DT catalog that are not musically credited to John Petrucci (Wait for Sleep, Space Dye Vest and Vacant)..

Thanks man, that was very interesting, didn't know most of that stuff!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 01:54:08 AM »
Yes, but I asked MP about it on twitter a few years ago and he confirmed it was all of them except James: (https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/281843359016960002)

Very nice fact I didn't know.. Actually, Mike's response makes absolute sense to both the respective lyrics and even the melodies of each part.. It just fits perfectly which each member's style..

Ok, so, very similar to yours, here's mine:

DT14 will hopefully be the next one in that line though
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:45 AM »
Descent Of The Nomacs has more spotify plays than Our New World (1,326,656 & 1,023,142 respectively).
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 06:21:25 AM »

So, out of all this mess, I have another one: there are only three songs in the entire DT catalog that are not musically credited to John Petrucci (Wait for Sleep, Space Dye Vest and Vacant)..

While technically correct, there is another song JP was credited for, but did not actually write. New Millennium was written only by MP, DS, and JM. I guess it's credited to Dream Theater in the lyric book, but on whatever it's called where people get actual credit for royalty purposes, JP's name was left off because he didn't actually write any music for it. MP talked about this on the Live at Budokan Drum Cam commentary.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:46 AM »
This isn't a factoid, but might be a stupid question..  I always wondered if the band could have kept the name "Majesty" instead of Dream Theater, would they have been more recognized? 
 This is solely based on the fact that Majesty is a little more catchy and easier to remember. I like the name Dream Theater but it takes people longer to remember that name.. True story.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
This isn't a factoid, but might be a stupid question..  I always wondered if the band could have kept the name "Majesty" instead of Dream Theater, would they have been more recognized? 
 This is solely based on the fact that Majesty is a little more catchy and easier to remember. I like the name Dream Theater but it takes people longer to remember that name.. True story.

Not only that, but for a lot of people that are fans here in France, Dream Theater's really a pain to pronounce... :rollin
Well to answer your question, it might be, but remember also that they are, given the music they do, restrained to a certain type of public with little possibility to really expand beyond that public.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
I think that Dream Theater is less flamboyant and pretentious than Majesty... Suits much better the creative intent of their works.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
I think that Dream Theater is less flamboyant and pretentious than Majesty... Suits much better the creative intent of their works.

I absolutely agree. Dream Theater is such a cool name, and fits perfectly their music. Majesty would have made them look even more pretentious. "We're royalty because we can play a bazillion notes per second...." (well, that's what the detractors would have said)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »

To answer your question, they didn't kept it because they couldn't, not because they wanted.. After hiring Dominici, a Las Vegas group also named "Majesty" threatened legal action for intellectual property infringement related to the use of their name, so they were forced to change it..

But yeah, I also agree with the guys that Dream Theater is a great name, fits their music  A LOT more, and that "Majesty" would've sounded a bit condescending in some extent..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »

I absolutely agree. Dream Theater is such a cool name, and fits perfectly their music. Majesty would have made them look even more pretentious. "We're royalty because we can play a bazillion notes per second...." (well, that's what the detractors would have said)

As if they were some kind of demigods or something like that... Sons of a deity, perhaps  :biggrin:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
Yeah, Dream Theater is definitely a better name, IMO.

Online pg1067

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »

The "fact that Majesty is a little more catchy and easier to remember"??

Those things are not facts.  They're subjective opinions about which I happen to disagree.

It "takes people longer to remember [the] name" Dream Theater?  Which "people" would that be?

I don't think "Majesty" versus "Dream Theater" has diddly doo to do with the extent to which the band is "recognized."  It's the music.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
If people don't have the attention span that it takes to remember the words "dream" and "theater" next to another, probably their music isn't for them anyway.

:P
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »

Those things are not facts.  They're subjective opinions about which I happen to disagree.

It "takes people longer to remember [the] name" Dream Theater?  Which "people" would that be?

I don't think "Majesty" versus "Dream Theater" has diddly doo to do with the extent to which the band is "recognized."  It's the music.
Well I've introduced Dream Theater to many people. I would then run into them at a later date and they would say: What's the name of that band again that you introduced me to,  Dream something or other?  Sometimes it took them several times before they got it right..lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online pg1067

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »

Well I've introduced Dream Theater to many people. I would then run into them at a later date and they would say: What's the name of that band again that you introduced me to,  Dream something or other?  Sometimes it took them several times before they got it right..lol

I suspect that has far more to do with their level of interest in the music than it does with the name having two words and four syllables, as opposed to one word and three syllables.   ;)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »

Very long answer: all DT albums from WDADU to SC -save SDoIT and ToT- credit every song to "Dream Theater", except for some songs that are credited to one band member: WFS and SDV (KM), TSM, Regression and TMW (JP).. In SDoIT, ToT and BC&SL, they credited all songs to "JM, JP, MP and JR", except Vacant (JM and JR) and Wither (JP).. So, no many know this, but the guys (or maybe only Portnoy) made that change in those albums and credited "who actually composed the songs" because they (or he) wanted more participation from James in the making process of the songs, since he seemed to be losing interest even in being there while they were "creating the music to which he'll actually sing over" (these are not exact phrases, but very aproximated to what the interviews in the Lifting Shadows biography say)..

Moreover, another little issue about this was that James in the interviews was actually giving the impression that he was composing the music too, so for all of this they had a reunion in which they ask him to get involve a bit more in the making process and he thought it was fair enough.. So he did and throughout ToT, 8V and SC he was always there at least listening and watching them, and slightly helping to create the songs.. Still, the credits excluded him (and justly).. But since ADToE he kind of replaced Portnoy and started adding actual sections to some songs (some more evident than others, like the post-chorus of BMU,BMD), and the album kept the BC&SL way of crediting, but now would actually make more sense, so to speak, since there are all kind of different combinations of authors..

And we finally got to DT12, the last album until now in having discriminated credits, since TA is entirely credited to JP and JR.. In the self-titled, there are six songs that are, for the first time, credited to every single band member, and not just to "Dream Theater", like those three albums in which James didn't participate and so the "DT" corresponded only to the four guys.. (note that seven songs off WDADU are also credited to "DT", but I think in this one Dominici did contribute to the music, because TYJ excludes him, unlike the rest of the instrumentals that don't exclude James -they don't not because he has co-created the track, but because he didn't co-create any of the songs from I&W to BC&SL)..

Very interesting! :tup

As if they were some kind of demigods or something like that... Sons of a deity, perhaps  :biggrin:

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »
Since it was confirmed on the other thread that DT14 won’t have an instrumental, I noticed that half of their albums have at least an intrumental track, and the other half don’t.

Albums with an instrumental: WDADU, Awake, FII, SFAM, TOT, DT12, TA = 7 albums
Albums without an instrumental: IAW, SDOIT, Octavarium, SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, DT14 = 7 albums

*I’m not counting SDOIT Overture because it’s part of a big song, not an instrumental track by itself.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »

Where did you hear JLB came up with the post-chorus for BMUBMD?

Also, your summation is pretty accurate from the lifting shadows book but I think MP exaggerated a bit about James taking credit for writing songs.

To my knowledge he would speak very generally. It's not like he ever said, "Metropolis was the hardest song I've ever written."

He would say, "When we were writing the album..."

And ya know, even if all he contributed was some vocal melodies here and there for everything post I&W, that is still "writing," and he never ever made it sound like he was the main songwriter for any song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
Yes, that's a good point about James.  I think your assessment is pretty accurate.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2018, 01:48:57 AM »

Not only that, but for a lot of people that are fans here in France, Dream Theater's really a pain to pronounce... :rollin
Well to answer your question, it might be, but remember also that they are, given the music they do, restrained to a certain type of public with little possibility to really expand beyond that public.

B.Lee
Reminds me of the french TV spot for six degrees, the group is introduced as 4 virtuosos (first lol) and then he proceeds to repeat several times their name "DRIM TEHATAIR", I was half dead laughing.
It could have been worse (théâtre ?)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 02:03:48 AM »

B.Lee
Reminds me of the french TV spot for six degrees, the group is introduced as 4 virtuosos (first lol) and then he proceeds to repeat several times their name "DRIM TEHATAIR", I was half dead laughing.

This: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NO4xfcLoQSQ ?

As a French Canadian that made me laugh pretty hard lol.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »

B.Lee

When I first saw the band back in 1998 in Toulouse, that's exactly how most people said the name. And I was thinking to myself : "Fuck it, people! It's the first Time the band has been elsewhere than in Paris and you don't know how to say their name! Pffff!" And then, there was the diva behind me that sang for the whole concert in an operatic voice....and it was even worse! :tdwn :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:32 AM »

B.Lee

One guy commented with "drime sciateur, six digrise of ineur turbulence" which sums up this whole embarrassing thing pretty well  :rollin
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
That is true, although JP was not actually involved in the writing of New Millennium either, even though the music is credited to the whole band. Which in turn does bring up the interesting question of how many other songs are credited to the whole band or even the 4 instrumental members, but certain members were not actually involved.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Here's an odd factoid:

Kevin Moore receives writing credit for Cover My Eyes.

No joke.  Which is strange considering the song was written well after his departure. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2018, 10:09:39 PM »
Here's an odd factoid:

Kevin Moore receives writing credit for Cover My Eyes.

No joke.  Which is strange considering the song was written well after his departure.
Interesting. I suppose it's always possible. There have been occasions where the band picked out something from an earlier writing session that was never used, and incorporate it into one of the songs they are then working on. Maybe that's what happened with CME. But doing a cursory look online, I saw nothing to indicate that KM got a writing credit for it - can you show where your source for that info is?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »

B.Lee

Precisely !
Best accent evah
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Dream Theater (self titled) are the only albums that have not been played live in full.

As far as I know, all the other albums' songs were played live, and the following albums have the distinction of having been performed in their entirety in the same concert(s) :

When Dream and Day Unite
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Train of Thought
Octavarium
The Astonishing

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Dream Theater (self titled) are the only albums that have not been played live in full.

As far as I know, all the other albums' songs were played live, and the following albums have the distinction of having been performed in their entirety in the same concert(s) :

When Dream and Day Unite
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Train of Thought
Octavarium
The Astonishing
Dramatic Turn as well (on the tour), not in sequence, but all the pieces from it were played on the tour.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
Indeed, the albums I mentioned are the ones played from the first song to the last song in a row - sometimes as part of a whole tour (Images and Words and the two concept albums), some other times in one or maximum 2 occasions (I believe Train of Thought was played in full at the first date of the tour only, and Octavarium was played in its entirety for sure once, maybe twice or thrice in the course of the tour)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
Cover My Eyes: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/search/workID/893087154

That’s very interesting, Moore got credit and Sherinian didn’t. Maybe CME includes some sections they worked with him before he left. It’d be cool to ask them about this.

Online pg1067

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
Cover My Eyes: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/search/workID/893087154

That’s very interesting, Moore got credit and Sherinian didn’t. Maybe CME includes some sections they worked with him before he left. It’d be cool to ask them about this.

The part I found interesting was when I clicked on Petrucci's name and got a list of all songs (mostly DT, obviously) on which he is credited as a writer.  All of the current and former members of DT are members of ASCAP, except for JR and DS.  For songs on which JR or DS has a writing credit, it lists a "percentage controlled by ASCAP," from which you can deduce the percentage assigned to JR or DS (as the only non-ASCAP artist).  The numbers on a couple songs were a little surprising to me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »
I believe Train of Thought was played in full at the first date of the tour only
Correct. But if memory serves me correctly, the band actually played all 7 songs at 6 other shows, though not necessarily in order. At the San Diego show, all songs were played in album order, although songs from other albums were inserted in between them.  :biggrin:

Another completely useless setlist detail: the band has only performed Through My Words once without continuing on to Fatal Tragedy.

And one last one: the Columbia, MD show in 2009 marked the first time since the WDaDU-era that no IaW songs were included in the setlist; it was also the first show to only feature Rudess-era songs.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
The part I found interesting was when I clicked on Petrucci's name and got a list of all songs (mostly DT, obviously) on which he is credited as a writer.  All of the current and former members of DT are members of ASCAP, except for JR and DS.  For songs on which JR or DS has a writing credit, it lists a "percentage controlled by ASCAP," from which you can deduce the percentage assigned to JR or DS (as the only non-ASCAP artist).  The numbers on a couple songs were a little surprising to me.
Didn't pay attention to that when I was looking at the different credits, but I did find it a bit strange that some songs listed the credits differently from what is printed in the album jacket/sleeve. For instance, WFS is KM's song, but JM, JP and MP are also given credit for it. For Vacant, only JM and JR are given credit, despite the fact that JL wrote the lyrics. And FFH has JM in the credits with JP and JR, whereas the album lists it as JL, JP and JR. I mean, I understand for some albums they were probably more democratic in giving every band member a cut of the songwriting, but some of these just seem a bit weird. Nevermind YNM which has 2 separate entries, one listing Desmond Child along with JM, JP, MP and DS, whereas the other lists just Desmond Child and JP - and yet the credit for YoM (the original version of the song) is credited to JM, JP, MP and DS. What gives?  :huh: