Author Topic: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.  (Read 32918 times)

Offline jammindude

Stupid Dream Theater factoids.
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:08:15 PM »
I did the math today and made an interesting but stupid discovery. 

Dream Theater has released more live material, than studio material. 

The *official* live releases (including Live at the Marquee) total roughly just over 20 hours.

The 13 official studio albums total just under 17 hours.    Granted, there are a few repeats on the live material, but I still thought it was “very interesting.........but stupid.”  :rollin

Can you think of any other DT factoid that you find kindof interesting, but might seem a bit “who cares” to just about anyone else?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

Re: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »
I realized just after typing this that I did not include ACOS in my math.  Which would add 23 minutes to the studio side of the scale and about 40ish minutes to the live side.   But that only makes the gap wider...thus underlining the overall point.  :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »
J Dude, you on the sauce tonight, bro?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
I remember when it was revealed that The Astonishing had 34 tracks, doing some comparisons with the other studio album; if I remember correctly it took them until Falling Into Infinity from the debut to have their 34th studio song, and probably 34 songs cover 5-6 albums post Scenes as a whole.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:37 AM »
I remember when it was revealed that The Astonishing had 34 tracks, doing some comparisons with the other studio album; if I remember correctly it took them until Falling Into Infinity from the debut to have their 34th studio song, and probably 34 songs cover 5-6 albums post Scenes as a whole.

I love this.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
The 13 official studio albums total just under 17 hours
Can you think of any other DT factoid that you find kindof interesting, but might seem a bit “who cares” to just about anyone else?

Interesting to think that Dream Theater released more time of studio albums than Rush! Which I roughly estimated in around 14 or 15 hours of music!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
J Dude, you on the sauce tonight, bro?

“Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer’s home brew?”

“No..............well, yes. But that’s not the point.”

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »

I love this.

I went and rechecked.

Lines in the Sand is the 34th studio song released by DT, in album and tracklist order; Hell's Kitchen if you count the EP A Change of Seasons (of course live songs are not included in the count).

To have 34 songs you can sum up all the meta-albums (From Scenes to Octavarium) and you still have 33 songs, one to spare, of course if you count Six Degrees as a single song.

Also 34 is the whole number of songs released from Systematic Chaos to Dream Theater (self titled album).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »

I didn't realize that all 34 TA tracks were songs.  Doesn't seem like a valid comparison.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

I didn't realize that all 34 TA tracks were songs.  Doesn't seem like a valid comparison.

Even if you take away the 4 NOMAC tracks, the overall point is valid. There were more songs on TA than on nearly any 5-6 album run.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
Queen's 39th studio track was "'39".

Their 69th studio offering was "Fat Bottomed Girls".

Nothing odd in finding something 'odd' or unusual in a band's offerings.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
At this point, James has been in the band for longer than MP has and he was also part of two more albums. Also, after the release of their upcoming record, Jordan will be tied with MP for the number of studio albums they appeared on.

That's actually kind of weird to think about.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
More time has passed between the date of WDaDU's release (March 6, 1989) and today (August 17, 2018) than passed between the date of the Beatles first recorded release ("My Bonnie" with Tony Sheridan on October 23, 1961) and the date of WDaDU's release.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »

Even if you take away the 4 NOMAC tracks, the overall point is valid. There were more songs on TA than on nearly any 5-6 album run.

What is the overall point?  You're saying tracks in one sentence and songs in another.  Tracks is just a number.  If you're comparing songs then you also have to factor in song length.  Just because they crammed a bunch of shorter songs into one album doesn't make it comparable to a 5-6 album run.  That's just ridiculous.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
More time has passed between the date of WDaDU's release (March 6, 1989) and today (August 17, 2018) than passed between the date of the Beatles first recorded release ("My Bonnie" with Tony Sheridan on October 23, 1961) and the date of WDaDU's release.

Now that's crazy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
At this point, James has been in the band for longer than MP has and he was also part of two more albums. Also, after the release of their upcoming record, Jordan will be tied with MP for the number of studio albums they appeared on.

I was just thinking something similar a few days ago. I believe that sometime during 2021, JR will have been in Dream Theater longer than Mike. Provided he doesn’t retire before then.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
I already noticed how James surpassed Mike (he was one album behind after all), but to think that soon Jordan will surpass Mike as well....

So Petrucci, Myung and James will be the three longest standing members of the band when all it's said and done? and Jordan coming fourth... wow!

(Speaking about the Beatles: I believe MP noted how the time it took them to finish the AA saga was basically the time the whole recording history of the Beatles ran, or something like that)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:21 PM »

I was just thinking something similar a few days ago. I believe that sometime during 2021, JR will have been in Dream Theater longer than Mike. Provided he doesn’t retire before then.

MP was in from 1985-2010 -- 25 years.  JR joined in 1999, so he won't surpass MP until 2024.  In terms of studio albums, and depending on whether you count ACoS, JR will either tie or surpass MP when DT14 is released.

(Speaking about the Beatles: I believe MP noted how the time it took them to finish the AA saga was basically the time the whole recording history of the Beatles ran, or something like that)

Pretty darned close!  The 12 step suite ran from 6DOIT (January 2002) through BC&SL (June 2009), so 7 years and 5 months.  The Beatles first recorded release (as the Beatles) was "Love Me Do" in October 1962, and the final release before they broke up was Let It Be in May 1970, so 7 years and 7 months.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 05:38:44 PM »
Depends on your view of the timeline. I’m of a similar opinion as JLB...that the official DT timeline begins in 1989 with WDADU.

EDIT - I’ve always felt this way. I remember getting a promo for SFAM before the release and the sticker said it was the most ambitious thing they had done in their 15 year career. I’ve been eye rolling ever since.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »
MP was in from 1985-2010 -- 25 years.  JR joined in 1999, so he won't surpass MP until 2024.  In terms of studio albums, and depending on whether you count ACoS, JR will either tie or surpass MP when DT14 is released.

MP did 10 studio albums with DT (WDADU, IAW, AWK, FII, SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, OVM, SC, BC&SL), and DT 14 will be Jordan's 10th with DT (SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, OVM, SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, DT12, TA, DT14), so it would be a tie, for now....
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
This thread and the Treasure Hunt thread (and many others over the years) are awesome proof that nobody has nerdier fans than Dream Theater... who are also probably the nerdiest prog band ever.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
Marillion on the line for you PetFish to say "Did you forget about us?"

To which most of the world replied, who the hell just called you PetFish?

Seriously though, I tend to think of the DT guys as the least nerdy musicians in a genre replete with nerdy musicians.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
I will defer to you then, sir, as I'm not familiar with very many others besides DT.

I just see what I see here and I'm blown away by the amount of nerdery... at least from the fans if not DT themselves.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 01:44:49 PM »

Dream Theater has released more live material, than studio material. 

The *official* live releases (including Live at the Marquee) total roughly just over 20 hours.

The 13 official studio albums total just under 17 hours.    Granted, there are a few repeats on the live material, but I still thought it was “very interesting.........but stupid.”  :rollin

Makes total sense to me, but I'm more likely to pull a live album out than a studio album out these days anyway.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
Awake is the only studio album with lyric contributions by all 5 of the then DT members.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 11:04:50 PM »
Awake is the only studio album with lyric contributions by all 5 of the then DT members.

Slow clap

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2018, 04:44:42 AM »
Wasn't Take the Time credited to the band as a whole?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 06:13:43 AM »
Wasn't Take the Time credited to the band as a whole?

Yes, but I asked MP about it on twitter a few years ago and he confirmed it was all of them except James: (https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/281843359016960002)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
Pretty darned close!  The 12 step suite ran from 6DOIT (January 2002) through BC&SL (June 2009), so 7 years and 5 months.  The Beatles first recorded release (as the Beatles) was "Love Me Do" in October 1962, and the final release before they broke up was Let It Be in May 1970, so 7 years and 7 months.
Actually, Let It Be (the album) was released after the band's split was announced in April.
Doesn't matter, because "Let It Be" (the single) was released in March, so that's 7 years and 5 months as well. :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 12:19:48 PM »

MP did 10 studio albums with DT (WDADU, IAW, AWK, FII, SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, OVM, SC, BC&SL), and DT 14 will be Jordan's 10th with DT (SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, OVM, SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, DT12, TA, DT14), so it would be a tie, for now....

I must have miscounted somewhere.

Depends on your view of the timeline. I’m of a similar opinion as JLB...that the official DT timeline begins in 1989 with WDADU.

EDIT - I’ve always felt this way. I remember getting a promo for SFAM before the release and the sticker said it was the most ambitious thing they had done in their 15 year career. I’ve been eye rolling ever since.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but if you're talking about how much time someone has been in the band, I think you have to start at 1985.  All of the band's anniversary moments are based on that year.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »
Yes, but I asked MP about it on twitter a few years ago and he confirmed it was all of them except James: (https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/281843359016960002)

Very nice fact I didn't know.. Actually, Mike's response makes absolute sense to both the respective lyrics and even the melodies of each part.. It just fits perfectly which each member's style..

Ok, so, very similar to yours, here's mine:

DT12 is the only studio album with musical contributions by all members..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »

Aren't most DT songs credited to the whole band for music?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »

I must have miscounted somewhere.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but if you're talking about how much time someone has been in the band, I think you have to start at 1985.  All of the band's anniversary moments are based on that year.

True.  I've always found it weird though that the first 4 years of their career was just a bunch of barely not teenagers working at chinese restaurants and playing local shows with a healthy dose of cover songs.  Hell, they didn't even leave the eastern time zone until 1992.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:46 AM »

Aren't most DT songs credited to the whole band for music?

Short answer: no..

Very long answer: all DT albums from WDADU to SC -save SDoIT and ToT- credit every song to "Dream Theater", except for some songs that are credited to one band member: WFS and SDV (KM), TSM, Regression and TMW (JP).. In SDoIT, ToT and BC&SL, they credited all songs to "JM, JP, MP and JR", except Vacant (JM and JR) and Wither (JP).. So, no many know this, but the guys (or maybe only Portnoy) made that change in those albums and credited "who actually composed the songs" because they (or he) wanted more participation from James in the making process of the songs, since he seemed to be losing interest even in being there while they were "creating the music to which he'll actually sing over" (these are not exact phrases, but very aproximated to what the interviews in the Lifting Shadows biography say)..

Moreover, another little issue about this was that James in the interviews was actually giving the impression that he was composing the music too, so for all of this they had a reunion in which they ask him to get involve a bit more in the making process and he thought it was fair enough.. So he did and throughout ToT, 8V and SC he was always there at least listening and watching them, and slightly helping to create the songs.. Still, the credits excluded him (and justly).. But since ADToE he kind of replaced Portnoy and started adding actual sections to some songs (some more evident than others, like the post-chorus of BMU,BMD), and the album kept the BC&SL way of crediting, but now would actually make more sense, so to speak, since there are all kind of different combinations of authors..

And we finally got to DT12, the last album until now in having discriminated credits, since TA is entirely credited to JP and JR.. In the self-titled, there are six songs that are, for the first time, credited to every single band member, and not just to "Dream Theater", like those three albums in which James didn't participate and so the "DT" corresponded only to the four guys.. (note that seven songs off WDADU are also credited to "DT", but I think in this one Dominici did contribute to the music, because TYJ excludes him, unlike the rest of the instrumentals that don't exclude James -they don't not because he has co-created the track, but because he didn't co-create any of the songs from I&W to BC&SL)..

So, out of all this mess, I have another one: there are only three songs in the entire DT catalog that are not musically credited to John Petrucci (Wait for Sleep, Space Dye Vest and Vacant)..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't know any of that. That's actually really interesting. :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。