Author Topic: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.  (Read 33253 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Stupid Dream Theater factoids.
« Reply #280 on: March 04, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
People seem to think the fastest DT album to be released was Train of Thought. . . .

Which people?

The only FII outtakes he has played, if memory serves, were Raise the Knife and Speak to Me, on the Octavarium tour.

I believe they played "Cover My Eyes" on the 6DoIT tour.

Correct.  It was played thrice:  1/19, 1/26 and 2/5/02.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #281 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »
Setlist Scotty, I summon you. Please help me out here. And feel free to expand further on Jordan's live performance record concerning pre-1999 rarities like DLPM, Eve, the FII outtakes, Majesty songs, etc.
You rang? Not sure what you want "to expand further on", but it seems most of the songs have already been listed. But just as a recap:
A Vision
Two Far
Vital Star
March of the Tyrant
Cry For Freedom (song had lyrics by Chris Collins and was performed with him, so I'm counting it, unlike Resurrection of Ernie which never had lyrics written nor was performed live by any lineup)
Eve
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used to Be
You Not Me
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #282 on: March 04, 2020, 12:57:41 PM »
Having been inspired by voncorn, here's a list of MP-era tracks that MM has yet to perform:
Another Won
Your Majesty
A Vision
Two Far
Vital Star
March of the Tyrant

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse And Get Away
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Only A Matter Of Time

Eve

Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

Raise the Knife
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used to Be
Cover My Eyes
Speak to Me

New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines In The Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Disappear
SDoIT Overture
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About to Crash (reprise)
Losing Time/Grand Finale
This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
In The Name Of God

The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Repentance
Prophets Of War
The Ministry of Lost Souls
In The Presence of Enemies part II

A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline voncorn

« Reply #283 on: March 04, 2020, 01:01:15 PM »
Thank you, sir. And holy crap at the prowess of JR.  :hefdaddy

I think "Anna Lee" deserves to be played again, at the very least at a one-off show where Derek joins in and doubles up with Jordan, DS playing a grand piano and JR adding tasteful backing stringy or organy touches.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #284 on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:24 PM »
Thank you, sir. And holy crap at the prowess of JR.  :hefdaddy
Absolutely. But it also is a testament to MP with his rotating setlist abilities. Besides the 3 MP-era songs that JR has only done with MM (DLPM, SDVest and HK), all the other songs were played in full with JR by 2006 at least once in full. Here's a breakdown of when the songs were first played with JR - those listed as "part" had them included as part of a medley:

Another Won - 2005
Your Majesty - 2002

A Fortune In Lies – 1999 (part) / 2004 (full)
Status Seeker - 2004
The Ytse Jam - 2002 (part) / 2004 (full)
The Killing Hand - 2002
Light Fuse And Get Away - 2004
Afterlife - 2004
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun - 2004
Only A Matter Of Time – 1999 (part) / 2003 (full)

To Live Forever - 2004
Don't Look Past Me - 2017

Pull Me Under - 1999
Another Day - 1999
Take the Time - 1999 (part) / 2002 (full)
Surrounded - 2002
Metropolis - 1999
Under a Glass Moon - 1999 (part) / 2002 (full)
Wait for Sleep - 2006
Learning to Live - 2000

6:00 - 2002
Caught In A Web - 1999
Innocence Faded - 2006
Erotomania - 1999 (part) / 2000 (full)
Voices - 1999
The Silent Man - 2000
The Mirror - 1999 (part) / 2000 (full)
Lie - 2002
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - 1999
Scarred - 2002
Space-Dye Vest - 2014

A Change of Seasons - 2000

Raise the Knife - 2005
Cover My Eyes - 2002
Speak to Me - 2005

New Millennium - 2000 (part) / 2002 (full)
Peruvian Skies - 1999
Hollow Years - 1999
Burning My Soul - 2002
Hell's Kitchen - 2002 (part) / 2017 (full)
Lines In The Sand - 2002
Just Let Me Breathe – 1999
Trial Of Tears - 2004

I think "Anna Lee" deserves to be played again, at the very least at a one-off show where Derek joins in and doubles up with Jordan, DS playing a grand piano and JR adding tasteful backing stringy or organy touches.
Don't bank on it - I don't think DS thinks much of AL, even though it's pretty much his song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2020, 01:28:52 PM »
Having been inspired by voncorn, here's a list of MP-era tracks that MM has yet to perform:
Another Won
Your Majesty
A Vision
Two Far
Vital Star
March of the Tyrant

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse And Get Away
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Only A Matter Of Time

Eve

Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices

Raise the Knife
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used to Be
Cover My Eyes
Speak to Me

New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Lines In The Sand

Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee

The Glass Prison
Blind Faith

Misunderstood
Disappear
SDoIT Overture
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About to Crash (reprise)
Losing Time/Grand Finale
This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father

Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
In The Name Of God

The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Repentance
Prophets Of War
The Ministry of Lost Souls
In The Presence of Enemies part II

A Rite of Passage
The Best of Times

That's a lot! Bolded ones I really wish they'd play again.

What tour did they play Panic Attack on? Sucks that I missed that, whenever it was. I also don't remember seeing them play These Walls but I might have been there for that. I'm getting old already. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »
What tour did they play Panic Attack on? Sucks that I missed that, whenever it was. I also don't remember seeing them play These Walls but I might have been there for that. I'm getting old already. :lol
Panic Attack was done during a short run in Europe in 2015. These Walls was played throughout A Dramatic Tour of Events in 2011-2012 - it's documented on Live at Luna Park.  ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
I like Anna Lee.  Always have.  But I have never felt like it was a song they "needed" to play live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
Panic Attack was done during a short run in Europe in 2015. These Walls was played throughout A Dramatic Tour of Events in 2011-2012 - it's documented on Live at Luna Park.  ;)

Damn it, Europe!

Ah yes, I did see These Walls during that tour. In my defense that was almost a decade ago at this point. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2020, 04:56:21 PM »

Damn it, Europe!

Ah yes, I did see These Walls during that tour. In my defense that was almost a decade ago at this point. :lol

Great version of Panic Attack live in 2015: https://youtu.be/AZMnjSL129I
MM slays it :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2020, 06:55:31 PM »

The only FII outtakes he has played, if memory serves, were Raise the Knife and Speak to Me, on the Octavarium tour.

Cool.  Travelling to Chicago turned out to be an especially special couple of nights for my wife and I.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
Cool.  Travelling to Chicago turned out to be an especially special couple of nights for my wife and I.
I agree - I also travelled to attend both those shows, as well as the Milwaukee show the following night. But what does that have to do with them playing CME? That song had been dropped from the master setlist long before the Chicago shows happened.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2020, 08:06:48 AM »

I agree - I also travelled to attend both those shows, as well as the Milwaukee show the following night. But what does that have to do with them playing CME? That song had been dropped from the master setlist long before the Chicago shows happened.

As always, memory is fallible.  Somehow I "remembered" seeing them perform the song, when apparently they did not.  Now, I wonder how I knew that they played it on that tour?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2020, 05:20:48 AM »
It's easy to "play almost all songs in the catalogue" when that catalogue is only 4 albums deep plus a few demos. When MM joined, there was another 6 albums in the bag. Add in the fact that they've also now made 4 albums with him with original content (one of which was performed fully on tour for a couple of legs), the number of songs MM has had to "catch up with" is just so much harder to overcome.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #294 on: March 08, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
DT has never released a studioalbum in April, May, August or December

January 2 (on the same day even), March 1, February 1, June 3, July 1, September 3, October 2 and November 1
Seasons change and so can I