Author Topic: James Labrie Vocal Analysis (Side by Side Comparison of 1993 and 2017)  (Read 1676 times)

Offline ZachAnsley

Hey guys!  I'm the creator of the Curious Case of James Labrie video on YouTube.  I finally decided to make an actual live analysis for him like I have for so many other singers.  This time, however, I aim to clear the waters as to what exactly James does differently technically now compared to when he was singing in the early 90s.  I hope you all enjoy!  Please let me know if you have any questions!

https://youtu.be/fXmdBmwDu0E

Offline ZachAnsley

Re: James Labrie Vocal Analysis (Side by Side Comparison of 1993 and 2017)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »
Okay, its up now.  That upload took forever xD

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
This was fantastic! Thanks for the insight. A question I would ask if - I agree with you that James technique now sounds (mostly) healthier and more sustainable than his previous technique, even if it means singing in a way that is simply not always tonally very pleasing.

You said in the video that you wouldn't know how to help James, given his voice is so unique, but do you think that there's some technique or style of singing that would result in his voice and tone sounding a bit more tonally pleasing? Obviously he still mostly sounds good/very good on the albums, purely from an enjoyability perspective, so I wonder why whatever he's doing can't be reproduced live.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Really cool and interesting video Zach!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
Excellent video. I particularly liked the closing remarks that James seemed to have been pulled in many directions over the years, and that this may have put undue strain on his voice. I think DT made the unfortunate "mistake" to get a singer who is perfectly comfortable singing operatic-style, but then actually decided to move more and more into the metal genre, with James struggling to sing in a style that doesn't come natural to him.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZachAnsley

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
This was fantastic! Thanks for the insight. A question I would ask if - I agree with you that James technique now sounds (mostly) healthier and more sustainable than his previous technique, even if it means singing in a way that is simply not always tonally very pleasing.

You said in the video that you wouldn't know how to help James, given his voice is so unique, but do you think that there's some technique or style of singing that would result in his voice and tone sounding a bit more tonally pleasing? Obviously he still mostly sounds good/very good on the albums, purely from an enjoyability perspective, so I wonder why whatever he's doing can't be reproduced live.

What he is doing in studio has lots of pitch correction.  Also, singing is a matter of coordination, and since in studio settings you tend to do take after take of tiny little sections of songs, and rarely do you sing single take performances, you don't get to establish the same kind of coordination that is required to sing a song in its entirety.

Offline ZachAnsley

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
Excellent video. I particularly liked the closing remarks that James seemed to have been pulled in many directions over the years, and that this may have put undue strain on his voice. I think DT made the unfortunate "mistake" to get a singer who is perfectly comfortable singing operatic-style, but then actually decided to move more and more into the metal genre, with James struggling to sing in a style that doesn't come natural to him.

Yeah, for example, at my music school, when a voice student changes teachers, both teachers come together and figure out the trajectory of the student and we kind of work out a game plan that doesnt steer the student too far off course from what the student was working on.

Another sad truth is that many many many voice teachers are quacks that dont teach pedagogy, but instead teach what 'they' do to sing, which doesnt work because everyone's voices are configured slightly differently.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »
That was a very insightful, interesting video, both about LaBrie's strengths and weaknesses, then and now.

I'm curious about one thing and am intrigued to hear your take on it - can you speculate why James opts for a wide, artificial vibrato? I don't know if the question itself makes sense, given that I'm not a singer, but it's one of his habits that I find very peculiar.

Offline ZachAnsley

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
That was a very insightful, interesting video, both about LaBrie's strengths and weaknesses, then and now.

I'm curious about one thing and am intrigued to hear your take on it - can you speculate why James opts for a wide, artificial vibrato? I don't know if the question itself makes sense, given that I'm not a singer, but it's one of his habits that I find very peculiar.

Natural vibrato is caused by full chord closure, which as a byproduct creates an oscillation across them.  He probably doesnt have the coordination anymore to cause the chords to close.

If he is just kind of holding one singing position in place to create that nasal sound then in all likelihood something is obstructing the folds from closing fully.  He probably makes the vibrato artificially because the original songs have the vibrato and most people dont know enough about vocals to be able to tell a substantial difference - they just hear vibrato.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 01:54:54 AM »
That's very interesting, thank you.

Offline dodido253

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »
Incredible analysis! Thank you it was very informative.
I wonder Zack if there any chance that he can enhance his voice and range at least to 2011 era (ADTOE)?