Author Topic: The Steve Perry Thread (new album, Traces, out October 5)  (Read 2881 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Steve Perry Thread (new album, Traces, out October 5)
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »
I want to start by saying that his voice has matured, but still sounds very smooth and on point. The performance itself, is excellent.

That being said, this song is absolute crap!

I believe I said that in a much nicer way. :lol

I agree with you guys.  His voice still sounds really good considering his age, but that song is pretty blah.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
The song isn't great, but I'm not sure what anyone would really be expecting at this point. It's inoffensive adult pop music. I wouldn't expect him to really take too many chances etc. etc...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:25 AM »
It makes sense that the lead single is going to be the safest poppiest song. That's not to say the rest of the album is any different, but we can hold out hope, right? :lol

Didn't mind the song, but I agree it's pretty run of the mill. Perry is sounding good for his age, and the production wasn't bad, so I'll be interested to check out the rest of the album. I'm just glad Perry is finally releasing something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
It just seems weird.

Hearing a 20ish year old singing about getting it on in the back of a car just sounds fun. But hearing a 60 yr old sing about it (even in a reminiscent way) just sounds....idk, desperate?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
It just seems weird.

Hearing a 20ish year old singing about getting it on in the back of a car just sounds fun. But hearing a 60 yr old sing about it (even in a reminiscent way) just sounds....idk, desperate?

Read the back story to why he did this.  It's an ode to a friend who passed away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »
It just seems weird.

McCartney's new single is sort of like that, too. 

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
It just seems weird.

He’s pushing 70 isn’t he? I did have that same reaction. Song has improved a little with subsequent listens but I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised that he’s not coming out with pure gold material at 69 years of age and 20 years out of the game. I actually was never keen on his other solo records either so not sure why I got hyped to hear new stuff in the first place but was just excited to hear new material from such a legendary singer.  Will still give the album a listen when it’s released.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »
Yep, he's 68 or 69.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »
It just seems weird.

He’s pushing 70 isn’t he? I did have that same reaction. Song has improved a little with subsequent listens but I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised that he’s not coming out with pure gold material at 69 years of age and 20 years out of the game. I actually was never keen on his other solo records either so not sure why I got hyped to hear new stuff in the first place but was just excited to hear new material from such a legendary singer.  Will still give the album a listen when it’s released.

Steve Perry was, for me, the guy that was supremely talented, but he was a flavor in a bigger stew.    I didn't care for his solo stuff,  That part of Oh Sherry (my favorite Perry solo song) at the beginning:   "Should've been go-own.... <breath>  knowing how... I made you feel... <breath>  Should've been gow-own! <breath> after all... your words of steel...."  drove me crazy.   (Graham Bonnet and David Coverdale are big breathers as well.   Drives me nuts.)

But his work on "Only The Young" gives me chills to this day, every time I hear it.  That man could SING, but he benefitted as much as anyone from the pop/rock (Cain/Schon) yin yang.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2018, 12:51:19 PM »
This may be the safe, poppier song but the album isn’t going to rock at all. Surely no one is expecting it to?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2018, 12:52:26 PM »
Steve Perry was, for me, the guy that was supremely talented, but he was a flavor in a bigger stew.    I didn't care for his solo stuff,  That part of Oh Sherry (my favorite Perry solo song) at the beginning:   "Should've been go-own.... <breath>  knowing how... I made you feel... <breath>  Should've been gow-own! <breath> after all... your words of steel...."  drove me crazy.   (Graham Bonnet and David Coverdale are big breathers as well.   Drives me nuts.)

You can throw LaBrie into that mix as well.  "The Answer Lies Within" and "Far From Heaven" come to mind.  Lots of breathing.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
This may be the safe, poppier song but the album isn’t going to rock at all. Surely no one is expecting it to?

This song was more rock than I was expecting to be honest, I was expecting more of a soul/RNB direction but this was still loosely melodic rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »

But his work on "Only The Young" gives me chills to this day, every time I hear it.  That man could SING, but he benefitted as much as anyone from the pop/rock (Cain/Schon) yin yang.

TAC will be along to point and laugh at me, but Foolish Heart is a great pop song.  Sure, it's a giant bag of cheese, but his voice is so good in that song that he makes it worthy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »
Foolish Heart is a great pop song. 

it's a giant bag of cheese

his voice is so good in that song

These things are all true.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »
Oooh.   I listened to it.   Hmm.   Like the guy.  Glad he's back making music.   He seems happy.   That's pretty much all I can say about that song. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2018, 09:13:48 PM »
Oooh.   I listened to it.   Hmm.   Like the guy.  Glad he's back making music.   He seems happy.   That's pretty much all I can say about that song.

I'm willing to bet that you pretty much nailed it for the majority of people...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
Foolish Heart is a great pop song. 

it's a giant bag of cheese

his voice is so good in that song

These things are all true.  :)

You know what else is true?

TAC will be along to point and laugh at me

:lol

Honestly, I don't have any issue with anything Steve Perry does. He's an iconic voice, and while I have never actually ever been into Journey, their classic hits stir a lot of old memories for me. I have Escape of course, and Departure, and the live album. Trial By Fire was pretty good too. But Journey has never been my thing. But definitely respect.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:11 AM »

It’s improved a bit for me with a few more listens, still not a classic by any means but a bit better than I initially thought. I enjoy it more when I just hear the audio and don’t have to watch the video.  That’s always been the same with Perry really, always found him a bit strange to watch but great to listen to.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »
Speaking as someone who's spent most of his entire life (not adult life, ENTIRE life) in a world where Steve Perry was retired from the music scene, these past several days have been nuts. The song itself isn't anything to write home about- but Perry put in the work to get his voice back in shape for this and sounds like he did 24 years ago. And he's suddenly doing interviews left and right all over the place. As someone who's been a Journey fan for about a decade now who wasn't around for the heyday, this is throwing me for a really weird loop.

I will say, the best part of the new song is the bridge. Which is probably why Perry opted to reprise it at the end. I also think the second verse sounds stronger than the first.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
https://melodicrock.com/articles/reviews/2018/08/23/steve-perry-traces-first-playback-pre-review

As the link says, first listen preview thought from AndrewMcNeice at melodicrock.com. All but two tracks are ballads. Bring your hankies, and a pillow in case you nod off 😀

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »
Not surprised, but I bet a few of the deluxe edition tracks will be more uptempo. I KNEW that song he wrote with John 5 would be more uptempo. LOL. Love the fact it captured a bit of the Trial By Fire vibe.

Looking forward to hearing it. Got my pre-order in for the deluxe. I am sure people will bag on the record for being completely ballad-heavy and not give it a chance, which is a shame.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
Maybe in the deluxe edition he will have an updated version of Oh Sherry, and call it "Oh Perry".  :yarr
 All joking aside, I'm looking forward to hearing the album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline T-ski

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »
another new track.  reminds me of the extra track on "Trial by Fire" a bit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOazsx6gIY
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
Cool. I am not listening to anything else. Just want to listen to the record when it drops. But anything with Trial By Fire in the description makes me happy. I love that record.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
another new song, while nothing really special, its still great to hear Steve singing again....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb34v_KoMy0
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
Not bad. That one, vocally, sounds REALLY like the Trial By Fire album.

www.roadstomadness.com