Author Topic: The Steve Perry Thread (new album, Traces, out October 5)  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
The Steve Perry Thread (new album, Traces, out October 5)
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:29:55 AM »
Looks like Steve Perry is finally ready to release a new record:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve-perry-traces-amazon/

https://www.amazon.com/Traces-Steve-Perry/dp/B07G3T49RB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534264076&sr=8-1&keywords=Steve+Perry+Traces

Traces

Tracklist:

1    No Erasin'

2    We're Still Here

3    Most Of All

4    No More Cryin'

5    In The Rain

6    Sun Shines Gray

7    You Belong To Me

8    Easy To Love

9    I Need You

10    We Fly

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Architeuthis

Re: The Steve Perry Thread (new album, Traces, out October 5)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »
Nice!  I'll have to check it out, glad to hear he's got something left in him musically. Sad to hear about the story that inspired him to make this album.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
The first single, 'No Erasin'' is up on Spotify and it sounds pretty good.
A rather safe, yet enjoyable melodic rock song, but it's great to hear SP again after all these years.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
The first single, 'No Erasin'' is up on Spotify and it sounds pretty good.
A rather safe, yet enjoyable melodic rock song, but it's great to hear SP again after all these years.

Here's a sample of "No Erasin" from iTunes (for those such as myself who don't have a Spotify account):

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/no-erasin/1420678999?i=1420679596&l=en
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Sad to hear about the story that inspired him to make this album.

I'm not aware. Can someone fill me in?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »
Holy crap. Never thought we'd get a third Steve Perry solo album. Cool!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »
Just listened to the track on Spotify. Wow, so great to hear his voice. Really. I just don't think that music is going to cut it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
I have Spotify and can’t find the new song at all :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 10:56:43 PM »
Try this: https://open.spotify.com/track/54WdbACipiaAUZe3PVSVyq?si=E9H6GRPuSFmmlpqV7NA5GA

Doesn't sound too bad, definitely keeping this album on my radar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
Try this: https://open.spotify.com/track/54WdbACipiaAUZe3PVSVyq?si=E9H6GRPuSFmmlpqV7NA5GA

Doesn't sound too bad, definitely keeping this album on my radar.

Looks like it’s not available for me (might be USA only) :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:42:13 PM »
I want to start by saying that his voice has matured, but still sounds very smooth and on point. The performance itself, is excellent.

That being said, this song is absolute crap!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 11:43:40 PM »
I want to start by saying that his voice has matured, but still sounds very smooth and on point. The performance itself, is excellent.

That being said, this song is absolute crap!

I believe I said that in a much nicer way. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:06 AM »
Not a great song unfortunately.  Sadly the Perry impersonators like Pineda/Castronovo do a better Steve Perry than the man himself these days.  I say that with a heavy heart as, behind the incomparable Freddie Mercury, I would probably consider him as the 2nd greatest rock singer of all time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »

A girl friend (I don't know if lover, or just friend who's a girl) died of breast cancer and she was close enough that it sort of jogged him out of his inertia and inspired him to finish this.  More or less. I wasn't there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:17:04 AM by Stadler »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
I think it sounds fine. I was expecting the Steve Perry soul and tone, not the range. And its pretty much exactly what I expected to hear.

I think the beginning of the song is clunky, but the chorus is cool, and I enjoyed it overall. Not his best work, obviously. But not bad. Just happy that voice is back.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
Not a great song unfortunately.  Sadly the Perry impersonators like Pineda/Castronovo do a better Steve Perry than the man himself these days.  I say that with a heavy heart as, behind the incomparable Freddie Mercury, I would probably consider him as the 2nd greatest rock singer of all time.

I was never a big Journey fan and had no ties to Steve Perry to really fall in love with him, but when I saw Journey twice a couple months ago, Pineda was so damn good that it didn't matter to me, that Perry was not there.  It clearly bothers a lot of fans who really love Journey though.  I get it, but the reality seems to be that Perry just isn't as good anymore.  This song isnt very good IMO, but I am probably not the target audience for this having never been a big fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 09:23:27 AM »

A girl friend (I don't know if lover, or just friend who's a girl) died of breast cancer and she was close enough that it sort of jogged him out of his inertia and inspired him to finish this.  More or less. I wasn't there.

You weren't? Gee, and I was sure you were. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

I was never a big Journey fan and had no ties to Steve Perry to really fall in love with him, but when I saw Journey twice a couple months ago, Pineda was so damn good that it didn't matter to me, that Perry was not there.  It clearly bothers a lot of fans who really love Journey though.  I get it, but the reality seems to be that Perry just isn't as good anymore.  This song isnt very good IMO, but I am probably not the target audience for this having never been a big fan.

If Perry wasn't a mental case he'd be in the band.  It's on him and the band needed to move on sla Styx.

Take that Kev! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »

Doesn’t bother me, I get that they had to move on and Arnel Pineda sounds really awesome on the two albums he did with them. Never seen them live with him as Journey don’t tour much in the U.K. Would definitely have checked out this Def Leppard/Journey tour if it had come over here. Really don’t think Perry could pull off these songs night after night anymore so, if you want to see those songs, you have to accept it will be another singer. His performance on those records in the 80’s though is just out of this world.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
With all the Journey drama over the years, the one thing I found fascinating is that Steve is still, by law, a member of Journey's corporation. He actually gets paid by them (a percentage). If you notice, he did some production work on that 1981 Houston live release that came out some years back, and some other things.

I think the thing is, Steve knows, and the band knows, he can't deliver those Journey songs in the same key as he used to, with that incredible range -- and that's what people at a Journey show expect. Arnel has begun to struggle at times, but his compelling story has endeared him to people. Steve realizes it, as does Neal and the other guys.

At some point, Neal will show up at a Steve Perry gig, and do a few Journey songs, and that'll work, because it'll be gigs under Steve's name, and expectations should be more of what Steve has done as a solo artist. And the material from Street Talk, Strange Medicine, and now Traces (I assume) is written in a lower key, without those soaring highs.

To me, seeing Steve come out and put out a new record again is the feel-good story of music in 2018. And whether I end up liking the new album or not, "No Erasin" and the other songs will always bring a smile to my face. It's just nice to see someone so gifted, with such soul in his voice, pick up the pieces after 20 years and do it again. It's really inspiring.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
The funny thing is there is more drama between Johnathan Cain and Neal Schon with Journey's identity than with Perry.  Neal does not want politics involved with Journey at all.  Music and it's image.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »
With all the Journey drama over the years, the one thing I found fascinating is that Steve is still, by law, a member of Journey's corporation. He actually gets paid by them (a percentage). If you notice, he did some production work on that 1981 Houston live release that came out some years back, and some other things.

I think the thing is, Steve knows, and the band knows, he can't deliver those Journey songs in the same key as he used to, with that incredible range -- and that's what people at a Journey show expect. Arnel has begun to struggle at times, but his compelling story has endeared him to people. Steve realizes it, as does Neal and the other guys.

At some point, Neal will show up at a Steve Perry gig, and do a few Journey songs, and that'll work, because it'll be gigs under Steve's name, and expectations should be more of what Steve has done as a solo artist. And the material from Street Talk, Strange Medicine, and now Traces (I assume) is written in a lower key, without those soaring highs.

To me, seeing Steve come out and put out a new record again is the feel-good story of music in 2018. And whether I end up liking the new album or not, "No Erasin" and the other songs will always bring a smile to my face. It's just nice to see someone so gifted, with such soul in his voice, pick up the pieces after 20 years and do it again. It's really inspiring.

Neal was on Sammy Hagar's show a couple weeks/months ago (they're friends from way back) and Neal was candid about that.  He didn't seem to have any real beef with Steve, and indicated that he would love to work with him again.   But he said the same thing as you did:  if he did, it'd likely be something out from under the "Journey" banner, low key and more intimate.   He was remarkably positive about Steve, at least when compared to some of the sniping that went on over the years.   

I'm late to the Journey party; my first girlfriend was a huge Journey fan, back when I was into Kiss and Maiden, so you can imagine how that went.   But I love them now and I can really appreciate how good Steve Perry really was.   My buddy was a fan from back in the day, and he got to see them, not on the Escape tour, but one of the ones shortly after that, and he also saw the recent Leppard/Journey show, and for him, the recent show was where he had that epiphany that it was Arnel or nothing if you wanted that authentic Journey sound.   We all get old.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
The funny thing is there is more drama between Johnathan Cain and Neal Schon with Journey's identity than with Perry.  Neal does not want politics involved with Journey at all.  Music and it's image.
Is that why Neal plays "The Star Spangled banner"  in concert all the time?  Lol, just kidding,  that's not really bringing politics into Journey music. I like that Neal doesn't want to make political statements, and instead just keep their music universal.
 Roger Waters is an example of overkill political statements at live shows. I saw him in Seattle in 2017, and some people were leaving during the show because of that..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Neal said before the current tour that he and Jonathan mended fences, and all is good between them.

Neal was on Sammy Hagar's show a couple weeks/months ago (they're friends from way back) and Neal was candid about that.  He didn't seem to have any real beef with Steve, and indicated that he would love to work with him again.   But he said the same thing as you did:  if he did, it'd likely be something out from under the "Journey" banner, low key and more intimate.   He was remarkably positive about Steve, at least when compared to some of the sniping that went on over the years.   

I'm late to the Journey party; my first girlfriend was a huge Journey fan, back when I was into Kiss and Maiden, so you can imagine how that went.   But I love them now and I can really appreciate how good Steve Perry really was.   My buddy was a fan from back in the day, and he got to see them, not on the Escape tour, but one of the ones shortly after that, and he also saw the recent Leppard/Journey show, and for him, the recent show was where he had that epiphany that it was Arnel or nothing if you wanted that authentic Journey sound.   We all get old.

I was late to the Journey party too. I mean, I liked the arena stuff on the radio back in the late 80s and early 90s, but didn't really become a fan until the late 1990s and the reunion with Perry. I absolutely LOVE that record, Trial By Fire. And then...Perry left. I was fortunate enough to see Journey two or three times with his first replacement, Steve Augeri, and then the last time I saw them was 2006 with Jeff Scott Soto fronting them. Respect Arnel a great deal, and love the last record they did with him (Eclipse). But I don't see myself seeing Journey again.

But completely plan to see Perry, no matter the cost, if he tours on his new album.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
How was Jeff in front of Journey?  Are there any live releases with that lineup?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
Neal said before the current tour that he and Jonathan mended fences, and all is good between them.

I was late to the Journey party too. I mean, I liked the arena stuff on the radio back in the late 80s and early 90s, but didn't really become a fan until the late 1990s and the reunion with Perry. I absolutely LOVE that record, Trial By Fire. And then...Perry left. I was fortunate enough to see Journey two or three times with his first replacement, Steve Augeri, and then the last time I saw them was 2006 with Jeff Scott Soto fronting them. Respect Arnel a great deal, and love the last record they did with him (Eclipse). But I don't see myself seeing Journey again.

But completely plan to see Perry, no matter the cost, if he tours on his new album.

Yeah both have said they buried the hatchet.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »
How was Jeff in front of Journey?  Are there any live releases with that lineup?

He was great. He and drummer Deen Castronovo handled lead vocals. Deen did a lot of the higher stuff, and they really were wonderful. I had a great time.

I have a recording (my own) of the show, but as far as I know, just bootlegs, no official recordings. But they were really good. They dumped JSS a few months after the tour however, after (depending on the story you believe) Neal and Jonathan decided they wanted to find a pure tenor to sing lead. That pissed me off as a fan, to be honest, as apparently they told JSS he was on board permanently (again, depending on the story you choose to believe). So I decided I wouldn't go see them again unless it was with Perry.

But I have tremendous respect for Arnel and his...journey (lol), so I have bought (and liked) the records Journey recorded with him.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
To give a different perspective:

He was great. He and drummer Deen Castronovo handled lead vocals. Deen did a lot of the higher stuff, and they really were wonderful. I had a great time.

I was at the same show and had a much different take.  JSS is a tremendous vocalist and front man, so this isn't meant to slam him at all.  But he visibly (audibly) struggled with the material, and I made up my mind from that point that, despite that I liked and supported him, he was not the right person for that gig.  It is just too far out of his comfortable range for too much of the set, and even with Deen propping him up and giving him breaks by even taking a few leads, I didn't feel like he did the material justice.

They dumped JSS a few months after the tour however, after (depending on the story you believe) Neal and Jonathan decided they wanted to find a pure tenor to sing lead. That pissed me off as a fan, to be honest, as apparently they told JSS he was on board permanently (again, depending on the story you choose to believe).

Yeah, he wasn't happy about it at all.  Dave Meniketti of Y&T even chimed in on the situation and said he felt like Jeff got screwed over, and he didn't understand how people in the Bay Area music scene could treat another fellow musician that way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
I can't see JSS doing Journey personally, well at least not the same way as Perry did.  However, I have recently fallen in love with JSS so that's not a knock on him, more so his voice and style/abilities.  Just seems a bit different which clearly (by going with Pineda) they didn't want to do.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
Here's JSS doing "I'll Be Alright Without You" with Journey in 2006.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvx49OU2o

No struggling here...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »

Not bad at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »

No struggling here...

He sounds pretty good here

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17:02 PM »

And I thought his performance very similar from what we heard on Trial by Fire. Really good! The song is an OK pop song, but the best part is to hear Steve sing something new, no doubt! :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
I saw them with Soto and he does a surprisingly good Perry, particularly on the rockier Journey stuff, Deen Castronovo sang the big ballads and was stunningly good, like note perfect. It was a decent show overall but Soto is not a top tier frontman. He’s always been a great singer and has got all the moves but kind of looks like he’s been to frontman school, nothing very unique about him just does lots of standard rockstar poses. He was never really the right fit for Journey even if he did do a great job vocally. When I heard Arnel on Revelation, he just sounded amazing but have not seen him live.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Video for the single

https://youtu.be/Oawl9e-tFVM