Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91490 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents are open for business
« Reply #1750 on: June 26, 2019, 08:06:07 PM »
Championships matter, but they don't mean everything.

Football is very different than hockey.

Being the "most accomplished" doesn't necessarily make you "the greatest."  To use another sport as an example, of the 10-11 players usually considered the best NBA players ever, Bill Russell is the most accomplished (11 championships, 5-time league MVP), but almost no one considers him the greatest player ever.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1751 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
Basketball is a hard comparison, as the talent of one player CAN make a difference in championships.  When one player can routinely be responsible for 30/40/50% of team scoring - every game - that's an indicator that it's a sport that can be more influenced by individuals.

But we digress.

Since I have too much exposure to the Toronto media and it's all-Marner, all-the-time, what's the word on anything else related to free agency that you non Torontonians are hearing?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Hughes goes 1st overall.
« Reply #1752 on: June 26, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
He's the gift that keeps on giving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBuFAtJHJk

Man, when they swapped out Luongo for Cory Schneider from game 3 of that series onwards, I thought Schneider was a very tough goalie to beat. When the Kings scored the tying goal in game 5 my first reaction was, "HE IS BEATABLE!" As for Luongo, he's never going to live these losses down against Blackhawks, Bruins, and Kings (well, the first two games in the 2012 series) down.  Enjoy retirement is all I can say at this point.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1753 on: June 28, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »
Wow.  I was racking my brain for the last two hours or so trying to make sense of Hurricanes buying out Patrick Marleau's contract, Roberto Luongo's retirement and how it affected Canucks' Cap, and then I spend more time looking back at certain decisions the Kings made and how it affected their cap (Matt Greene's buyout.  Mike Richards' contract termination, and the recent Dion Phaneuf buyout.)

It was quite the mental challenge trying to make sense of the math of all of those and I think I got it.  Hopefully.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1754 on: June 28, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
It was quite the mental challenge trying to make sense of the math of all of those

If only CapGeek still existed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: June 28, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
Re: Carolina, I think it's two reasons.  First, they have salary cap room, so used it this year to buy a 1st round pick for next year.
 That's the primary reason.  Second, there is a league minimum salary to make, and some teams still have to get there.  I think Carolina was close to the minimum, and on the off-chance they don't re-sign Aho, Marleau's buyout helps them.

Cap space (or lack thereof) is an asset (liability) that GMs have to use (account for).

@ PG... capfriendly.com is your friend.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1756 on: June 28, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »

You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir.   :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Blues hoist the Cup!!!
« Reply #1757 on: June 28, 2019, 12:25:10 PM »
Hmmm, feels like this page was missing something...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1758 on: June 28, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »
For the next two seasons, the Kings have about $44.2M in cap hits (54.23% of the current cap) for Kopitar, Kovalchuk, Brown, Carter, Doughty and Quick.  Kovalchuk drops off after 2020-21, and Carter and Brown drop off after 2021-22.

Even more depressing is that the Kings get dinged for $3.75M+ in 2019-20 and $4.76M+ in 2020-21 for the Phaneuf buyout and the Richards settlement.

That means roughly 60% of the current cap for only 6 roster spots.

Yeesh....

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1759 on: June 28, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
Re: Carolina, I think it's two reasons.  First, they have salary cap room, so used it this year to buy a 1st round pick for next year.
 That's the primary reason.  Second, there is a league minimum salary to make, and some teams still have to get there.  I think Carolina was close to the minimum, and on the off-chance they don't re-sign Aho, Marleau's buyout helps them.

Cap space (or lack thereof) is an asset (liability) that GMs have to use (account for).

Capfriendly really helped me out there.  I totally get Carolina's perspective on why they bought out Marleau if both sides feel like he wasn't going to play for them and the benefits Carolina gets for buying out when it comes to the Cap, Salary amount and getting picks.  Apparently, now Marleau is a free agent (no restrictions or anything, I think?) and that he's free to sign and it looks like he may go back to the Sharks (in which the Sharks wouldn't need to use up 6+ million of cap space.  It would be a fraction of that) to finish his career off.

I was just mainly really confused on how they came up with the buyout calculation and the math for the other things I mentioned like Luongo's retirement and how the Canucks have to give up $3m+ of cap space for the next three years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:22:06 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: June 28, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »

Apparently, now Marleau is a free agent (no restrictions or anything, I think?) and that he's free to sign and it looks like he may go back to the Sharks (in which the Sharks wouldn't need to use up 6+ million of cap space.  It would be a fraction of that) to finish his career off.

I'm 100% certain that was the deal between Dubas and Wadell.  The latter was going to make a pitch to Marleau, but there was a snowball's chance in hell that he was going to play one year in Raleigh while his family moved back to CA.  He's stated in the media that he feels he has a couple of years left, but I think it's San Jose (or an outside chance at one of the other two CA teams) or retirement.

@ pg... try 4 guys eating up 50% of the cap, which is what Toronto is staring down once Marner is signed.   :facepalm:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1761 on: June 28, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
@ pg... try 4 guys eating up 50% of the cap, which is what Toronto is staring down once Marner is signed.   :facepalm:

If you take our top four contracts plus the Richards and Phaneuf money, that's pretty much where the Kings are....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast
« Reply #1762 on: July 01, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
Rangers setting the high water mark with Panarin now the 2nd highest paid player in the league - 7/$81.5 ... $11.64M.  For what??  What has he done in his career - no awards, and only 1 playoff win with what has been a very CBJ team for the past few years.

Bobs to the Panthers - 7 yrs / $70M ... they're gonna die on the last couple years of that contract.
Duchene to Preds - 7/$56M
Pavelski to Dallas

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1763 on: July 01, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Sebastian Aho has signed an offer sheet with the Canadiens, five years worth more than $42 million.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1764 on: July 01, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
Leave it to the fucking Canadiens to extend an offer sheet. Seems no one does that anymore. Why didn't they just go after Marner?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1765 on: July 01, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Canes might still match that offer sheet since Aho was one of their best players.

The bobrosky deal is just fucking stupid. Goalies are not worth 10M. Period. That contract will put florida in cap purgatory for years right alongside the Habs for their carey price signing. Teams are winning cups with goalies $6m and below without any problem. Hell, pens and blues won with entry level goalies.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: July 01, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
^ agreed.

The targeting of Aho makes sense. Carolina is not a CASH rich team. The structure of his contract I league minimum salary ($700k) for each of the first two years, with $20M in bonuses over that same period. Gonna be real difficult for Carolina to match.

As for going after Marner, I don’t know what that Mtl’s situation with compensation picks is. Remember, the compensation going back had to be a teams OWN picks - not ones they’ve acquired via trade. I’m not sure Mark has all four of their first round picks?  Even still, at the AAV they offered Aho, it’s the third tier down from the top - so one each of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick.

After losing in the Panarin sweepstakes, Lou brings Anders Lee back to the island.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1767 on: July 01, 2019, 02:59:42 PM »
Chad, I wasn't really thinking about the Comp picks.

I just feel like if you're going to "break the code", then go for the big fish.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1769 on: July 19, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »
Not sure how Brad Treliving still has a job in Calgary, but we in Edmonton thank him very much.  Maybe the fans down there will forget about the trade today since it was overshadowed by their tentative new arena deal with the city. Either way, good fucking riddance Milan Lucic.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: July 19, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
I saw that, and instantly thought of you. How do you sign a guy in Free Agency for that kinda dough, then unload him a year later for Milan Fucking Lucic's worst-in-the-league contract!?!?!?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1771 on: July 19, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
Yup. And it sounds like the oil are only retaining 600k in salary.  This is an upgrade on all fronts.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: July 20, 2019, 05:59:18 AM »
So basically it's a wash.  They each just traded one steaming turd for another. Both are 31 years old, both signed thru '22/'23, and both had single digit goals and no more than 20 points.

And each GM thinks a New Jersey will magically fix their output??

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1773 on: July 20, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
I saw this yesterday. I didn’t realize James Neal was so putrid last year.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1774 on: July 20, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
Last year could be an anomaly for Neal, whereas Lucic has been declining hard for years. Do i think Neal will score 30? Of course not, but at least he can still skate and pass at an NHL level.