Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91429 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Blues hoist the Cup!!!
« Reply #1575 on: June 13, 2019, 05:02:02 AM »
I said to Gary before the game started that he needed to play like Jordan Winnington, and boy did he ever.  As a Leafs fan, you can NEVER count out a Boston team, so even at 2-0 with 8 to play, there's no security.  That save on Johansson with 7-ish to go, and then quickly following with the 3-0 goal was marvellous.  Thoughts on the game:

- the ice was terrible.  The first 10-12 minutes the puck was flipping and flopping all over the place.  It didn't improve much, but it was REALLY bad in the 1st.
- Pasta.... Da fuq was with him?  The pressure?  The ice?  He fanned on 5 - FIVE - really good opportunities.  Outright whiffed on the puck.
- If not for the two lopsided losses, I think Binners wins the Conn Smythe.  It sure was cool to hear the stat that O'Reilly was the first since Gretz (in '85) to score in 4-straight finals games, but c'mon.... without Binnington, they don't win a lot of the games that they did.  O'Reilly had some key goals/points, and was a stud on faceoffs, but I don't think that warranted the Conn Smythe.
- Refs were on point.  Though to be fair, there were only a few instances where a penalty could've even been considered, and they let the the game decide itself.

Now on to the other clinching game tonight.  Then it'll be a sport-free summer, cuz the other two leagues are just so uninteresting to me nowadays.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: June 13, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »
Oh... also, I just gotta say.

Blues Finals roster - 18 Canadians
Bruins Finals roster - 4 Canadians (and 12 Americans)

:biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1577 on: June 13, 2019, 06:05:18 AM »
*note* 2 lopsided losses were both games the Blues has those questionable suspended players.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1578 on: June 13, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
I would say bad goaltending in the 2 lopsided loses.  The other games he was nails.

If you told me the B's would lose 3 out of the 4 games at home I would have said you were high but they did.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: June 13, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
I would say bad goaltending in the 2 lopsided loses.  The other games he was nails.

If you told me the B's would lose 3 out of the 4 games at home I would have said you were high but they did.

I think you’re right about both. But, them being out of the lineup messed with the ‘chemistry’ of the team.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1580 on: June 13, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »
LOVED the NBC coverage of the Cup hoisting.  The parabolic mike got each and every (and I mean that almost literally; I counted one guy that DIDN'T do this) Blues player hoisting the cup and screaming some variation on "FUCKIN' A!"   Ten guys in a row with a clear, audible f-bomb.  Then they cut to the local commercial and when they came back Mike Emrick gave the normal "we always give 100% to get you the best coverage, and in doing so, apologize deeply for the foul language and any offense that we might have caused anyone, and we've taken steps to prevent that from happening again."   That's of course when I tuned out. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1581 on: June 13, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »
LOVED the NBC coverage of the Cup hoisting.  The parabolic mike got each and every (and I mean that almost literally; I counted one guy that DIDN'T do this) Blues player hoisting the cup and screaming some variation on "FUCKIN' A!"   Ten guys in a row with a clear, audible f-bomb.  Then they cut to the local commercial and when they came back Mike Emrick gave the normal "we always give 100% to get you the best coverage, and in doing so, apologize deeply for the foul language and any offense that we might have caused anyone, and we've taken steps to prevent that from happening again."   That's of course when I tuned out.

That was absolutely hilarious, clear as day F-bombs coming through each time.

Kudos to St. Louis - my corporate office is in St. Louis and they lived through the last two Blackhawks Stanley Cups that we experienced here in Chicago (2013 and 2015).  So it's nice to see my coworkers down there get to experience this, plus it's exciting for franchise to get their first championship. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1582 on: June 13, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »
I remember Rod Brind'amour's voracious use of the f-bomb when Carolina won and it was a huge deal about the on-ice mics. NBC's coverage is laughable at best anyway. Not to mention, NBC's streaming feed over Hulu was royally fucking up with distortion and botched visuals all night.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: June 13, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
I particularly enjoyed them spending a large portion of the initial aftermath showing the dejected faces of the Bruins rather than the elated, celebrating faces of the Blues. It put an exclamation point on where their priorities were....in case it wasn’t clear.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1584 on: June 13, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
I particularly enjoyed them spending a large portion of the initial aftermath showing the dejected faces of the Bruins rather than the elated, celebrating faces of the Blues. It put an exclamation point on where their priorities were....in case it wasn’t clear.

Well, in another perspective, didn't you had that feeling that you want to drink their tears in those shots?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: June 13, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »

Well, in another perspective, didn't you had that feeling that you want to drink their tears in those shots?

Ehh....I get where you’re going with it but I’d have preferred all Blues. I know ‘why’ they had to show both sides. But it seemed drawn out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1586 on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »
Congrats to the resident Blues fans!  They really brought it last night!

We Kings fans got our 7 years earlier, but I can say that I know how you guys feel, so enjoy it.  The next few months should be a lot of fun.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1588 on: June 13, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
By the way, whatever happened to skating around with the Cup?  It seemed like Pietrangelo took it from Bettman and then basically beelined to the next guy.  No one really took it for a spin, and they all seemed like they were in a hurry to get rid of it.  I get that they were on the opposing team's ice, but there seemed to be plenty of Blues fans who had worked their way down to the glass.  If it's me, I'm doing at least half a lap before giving it up (and if my skate severs a camera or mic cable in the process, too bad).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1589 on: June 13, 2019, 11:11:44 AM »
On-ice celebrations have become shorter and shorter ever since NBC started covering the NHL. I know I rag on NBC a lot, but the coverage quality has declined DRAMATICALLY since they took over.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: June 13, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »
By the way, whatever happened to skating around with the Cup?  It seemed like Pietrangelo took it from Bettman and then basically beelined to the next guy.  No one really took it for a spin, and they all seemed like they were in a hurry to get rid of it.  I get that they were on the opposing team's ice, but there seemed to be plenty of Blues fans who had worked their way down to the glass.  If it's me, I'm doing at least half a lap before giving it up (and if my skate severs a camera or mic cable in the process, too bad).

That was one of my thoughts watching it too.  All of them just skated between the red and blue line and back.  I was beginning to think the league had lined up a carpet and they couldn't get past it, but not the case.  So, wth???

Sad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1591 on: June 13, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
On-ice celebrations have become shorter and shorter ever since NBC started covering the NHL. I know I rag on NBC a lot, but the coverage quality has declined DRAMATICALLY since they took over.

Meh...I was there when the Kings won in 2012.  The on-ice celebration lasted LONG after the coverage stopped.  Players and the Cup remained on the ice well over an hour after the presentation of the Cup, and the Cup didn't leave the ice until Dustin Brown took it to go and find the Kings' long-time broadcaster, Bob Miller, who had not come down to the ice.  I was gonna say it might be different for a team winning the Cup on the road, but really what difference does it make?

That was one of my thoughts watching it too.  All of them just skated between the red and blue line and back.  I was beginning to think the league had lined up a carpet and they couldn't get past it, but not the case.  So, wth???

Sad.

It seriously looked like they were playing hot potato!

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1592 on: June 13, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

Sad.

One of my immediate thoughts as well. Hell, Ray Bourque took a whole damn lap with the thing back in ‘02(?) before letting it go. I don’t know why it’s changed, but I’m not much of a fan of it. Were they told by NBC, “If you want us to show everyone getting their glory, you have exactly three seconds with it before you have to pass it on...”?

Now *this* is a proper Cup brigade:
https://youtu.be/lg9n8iO5SEA

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: June 13, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »

Damn right.  I still think that was my favorite Stanley Cup finals.  Two incredibly evenly matched teams, and every single game was phenomenal.  And coincidentally, the last all-Canadian cup final - there should've been another if not for the blown Gretzky high-stick major penalty in game 6 of LA/Toronto.  #NotBitterAtAll.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1594 on: June 13, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
Oh... also, I just gotta say.

Blues Finals roster - 18 Canadians
Bruins Finals roster - 4 Canadians (and 12 Americans)

:biggrin:

Maple Leafs Finals Roster? :neverusethis:

Oops!

Thoughts on the game:

- the ice was terrible.  The first 10-12 minutes the puck was flipping and flopping all over the place.  It didn't improve much, but it was REALLY bad in the 1st.
- Pasta.... Da fuq was with him?  The pressure?  The ice?  He fanned on 5 - FIVE - really good opportunities.  Outright whiffed on the puck.

- Refs were on point.  Though to be fair, there were only a few instances where a penalty could've even been considered, and they let the the game decide itself.

Chad, I totally agree with all points. The ice was brutal. The Bruins couldn't handle a pass.

Pasta absolutely blew. He scored a nice goal in Game 6, but you're dead on. He whiffed big time on a number of opportunities.

No issues with the refs.

I have a few thoughts regarding the series..

* This was Ryan O'Reilly's coming out party. He was from a good player to superstar status. Good for him. He's solid AF. The Selke is his this year too.

* Craig Berube is a great coach. You can see how he inspires his team.

* I never bought the Cinderella bullshit. BUT, what the Blues did in the second half was incredible. I chalk it up to playing to potential after tanking to get their coach fired in the first half. People way smarter than me were quick to dismiss the Blues. I saw the Blues coming a mile away.

* I knew the Bruins were toast as soon as that sick girl made the trip. The world is cruel, but that kid was not going to be disappointed.

* I'm a closet Blues fan. The Blues games are the games I look forward to the most when the Bruins schedule comes out. In fact, we considered going to St. Louis for the Bruins game this year. David Backes, when he was with the Blues, was my favorite non Bruin player in the NHL.

* I've always been lukewarm on Alex Pietrangelo. But he was fucking awesome in this series.

* Oskar Sundvist can play on my team any day. That guy is beastly.

Finally, I'm glad Gary could enjoy the moment with his boys. In the end, that's what it's all about. It's a moment that'll last a lifetime.
I told Gary offline that I would trade all 6 Super Bowl wins for another Cup. I'm dead serious. There's nothing like winning the Cup. Nothing.

That said, I still had like a dozen championship t shirts to choose from this morning! ;D

Bummed about the B's for sure, but this was a great year. I can't believe there's no more hockey to watch.

Till the draft...cheers!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1595 on: June 13, 2019, 07:20:23 PM »

Damn right.  I still think that was my favorite Stanley Cup finals.  Two incredibly evenly matched teams, and every single game was phenomenal.  And coincidentally, the last all-Canadian cup final - there should've been another if not for the blown Gretzky high-stick major penalty in game 6 of LA/Toronto.  #NotBitterAtAll.

This was the year my parents introduced me to watching hockey, and was the first SC finals I ever watched. Growing up is Salt Lake City, the Golden Eagles were Calgary’s farm team until ‘94, so it was cool to see players come through that were on their way up. I don’t remember much about this finals series, but I do remember watching this game and the win. My whole family was Flames fans at the time due to the affiliation, and of course I remember the excitement that night.

Now what I do remember is that series prior to this one: Calgary against Vancouver. THAT one was fucking bonkers off the hook, and Vernon saved Calgary’s ass many times in those games.

Correction: It seems that the Cal-Van series was a divisional series, not the conference one. Foggy memory after 30 years...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:29:33 PM by Snow Dog »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: June 13, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Nice post Tim  :tup

So I've had all day to kind of 'enjoy' this....it still seems so strange that the Blues are Stanley Cup Champions.  :metal 

A couple thoughts:

- The Blues defense played incredible for the majority of the Playoffs. The team as a whole had a clunker or two here and there but all in all, if you look at it....they completely shut down each respective team they played 'top' lines. Particularly the D pairing of Colton Paryako and Jay Boumeester. They were rock freaking solid.

- Speaking of Paryako. He rose to the challenge these playoffs and at times it looked like he was just showing off. He can move the puck with ease up the ice by either passing, skating it up and he gets back in three strides which leaves it near impossible to burn the guy. He's become the player they hoped he would.

- I was ready to write off Petrangelo and just let him leave and be done with him. BUT....that guy came to freaking play in these playoffs....particularly in the Finals. He was a beast and I think he finally reached that upper echelon that he never before quite could reach.

- Vladamir Tarasenko came into his own as well. He had points, scored goals...but...what was awesome to see was him to elevate his game to making the sacrifices that were needed to keep the team game strong.

- What can you say about Ryan O'Reily? Played with two cracked ribs suffered in game 2 of the Dallas series (which I'm sure there were a ton of players playing hurt) and just kept churning. Like a few other players, really turned up his game and emptied the tank for the finals. So stoked that he's a Blue for four more full seasons in the prime of his career.

- Finally. Jordan freaking Binnington. The 'knock' on the Blues since I can remember is that they always lacked a goalie that could give them a shot. When we did have one Chad's homeboy Kipreous defied physics and fell forward to break Fuhr's knee. Anyway.....Binnington isn't the most flashy or athletic goalie out there. What he is just solid. He plays great positional goal and will throw that flashy/athletic save in there every now and then....but the majority of his saves are due to his good positioning. Having a goalie that makes the saves that he 'should' make gave the team in front of him the confidence that they could play their game and not have to worry that a cheese goal would go in. A scenario far too common with Allen.

It's no secret that I have the tendency to get a bit emotional when posting about the Blues....this years playoff run to the Cup had me amped up more than usual so thanks to you guys for not taking any of my rantings during this too personal. This was quite a ride and it was made all the more better by watching the Cup Clinching game with my wife and boys....just us....counting it down and relishing the moment.

We are heading down to the parade and rally this Saturday. Estimated that there will be a million people there!!!! That's insane for our city!!! But we HAVE to go!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: June 13, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »
Nick Kypreos is a dick anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: June 13, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
Just reserved a (2) Night Stay for the gmillerdrake clan and the Hyatt at the Arch....all Club access. Figured we didn't spend any $$$ on the actual playoffs could drop some $$$ to where we can get down there tomorrow night and check in at 4:00 and not have to worry about getting in and out of the city on Saturday with expected crowds.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1599 on: June 13, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Awesome.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1600 on: June 13, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
All in I see. The boys will never forget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1601 on: June 15, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »
Okay, I have been avoiding this thread, and other sports threads the last few days because it seems like they bring out the worst in everyone including myself, but I had to eventually pop in to this thread to say:

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!  :metal :metal

We wanted the Cup.

We got the Cup.  :coolio :hat

That Game 7 victory surpassed the Broncos Super Bowl 32 win as my all-time favorite sports moment.  Amazing.

Thanks to Joe and Tim, who thanked us by name, and pg1067, who congratulated all Blues fans.  :tup :tup

It's no secret that I have the tendency to get a bit emotional when posting about the Blues....this years playoff run to the Cup had me amped up more than usual so thanks to you guys for not taking any of my rantings during this too personal.

This, without a doubt.  As I said above, talking sports seems to bring out the worst in all of us, and this thread the last few weeks has been evidence of that, but that is neither here nor there at this point.

In the end, the payoff was well worth it. :biggrin:

I was fine with O-Reilly getting the Conn Smythe, although I might have given it to Binnington, who was probably dinged a bit by Game 3 and the 3rd period of Game 6 in the finals, but he was so money in Game 7.  After decades of Blues playoff losses where we wished we had a better goalie - damn Roman Turek and Ryan Miller, in particular - to have our rookie goalie come up big like that in Game 7 was such a thrill.

Let the celebration continue!! :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: June 16, 2019, 05:11:55 AM »
I wouldn't say that sports playoffs brings out the wors, just that our passions can sometimes cloud our perspectives - and our ability to se others' perspectives. It's all good.

Congrats to you and Gary... Both jingle.kids asked me yesterday, "Did Gary send you pics of the parade yet?"

So lets see those damn pics!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: June 16, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »
I’ve been out of pocket all weekend, plus....with 500k+ in downtown St. Louis cell phones essentially stopped working. Could send or receive.

When I get home later I’ll post some pics. We posted up at the rally grounds under The arch all day as the parade route was 20 people deep by 8:00 am.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1604 on: June 16, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Can't say I agree with either move in full, but Flyers offseason is off to a running start. Traded for the rights to Kevin Hayes (for an unconditional pick, which I hate), and then swapped Gudas for Niskanen with Washington. While that move may have made sense a season or two ago, it saves Washington a ton of contract money and an extra year when the two players could go into next season performing equally. Gudas has really solidified his game and Niskanen had a down year. IF Niskanen bounces back big time then it'll be a big win for the Flyers.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: June 16, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
So, this was the view from our room

which was pretty cool. We had 'club' access on our floor which gave us drinks and apps all day....so we took full advantage of that when we could

Out for a walk the night before...

The Mississippi River is WAY above flood stage.... you can see the light posts way in the background by the river boat. Thats where the river road is. This isn't the highest it's gotten but it's pretty high.

So, when I woke up yesterday morning....the parade route was already filling up quick. Around 8:00 after we ate breakfast it was already 20 people deep for most of the route. So, we decided to just post up at the rally grounds under the arch. There were screens there that were going to show the parade so we went for it. A pretty big thunderstorm hammered downtown (while we ate breakfast) but some light rain and showers stuck around through the morning until around 11:00

We initially got down as close as we could to the stage and hung out there for an hour or so.

Boys were having SO much fun  :lol

But, as it began to fill up I realized our youngest was not going to be able to see squat....so we decided to actually move back a bit to where there was a hillside at the arch grounds and we could see the stage and (2) screens.

My youngest brother eventually made his way to the grounds and he found us...

Individual shots of me and the family....

Cup on the Stage!!!

A couple shots from the day I saw online. Estimates are ranging from 500-700k at the rally and parade. All i know is that is was awesome to be a part of.

(from the stage)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: June 16, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
Do yourselves a favor and watch Brett Hull at the rally. He literally just appeared on stage....out of nowhere during a song....started making dry hump gestures and then grabbed the mic. It was AWESOME!!! So many memes and crap online about how much partying he's been doing....this just puts the icing on the cake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOrnu0AkdLU&list=PLZG3N37SQuyZyxGBhG4ogDSY2_3lHbvjx&index=3

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1607 on: June 16, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
Awesome pics! Congrats to you, Kev and all the Blues fans here. I was thinking of you guys when I checked the score the following morning, I couldn't make it through the whole game because I was so tired from having just flown back from France that day. And credit to the Bruins fans here for being so classy  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1608 on: June 17, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
Thanks!

And great pics, Gary!!  :tup :tup

The whole team has been awesome, interacting with the fans the way they have, and yeah Brett Hull is loving life right now. :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1609 on: June 17, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
Awesome pics!

Indeed.  Thanks for sharing.  Like I said, the next few months are going to be fun, so relish them as much as possible.