Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91431 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Kev, you don't expect that from Backes?  LOL  Of course he will say that just like a Blues player would if it was switched. 

Hey, bring on game 3!

I don't recall a single player from the Blues complaining about Robert Thomas getting trucked in Game 1 (which could have been called charging or interference). 

Besides, a repeat offender when it comes to dirty hits like Backes is not the guy to call out the other team for something like that.  Leave that to a player who actually has the credibility to do it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Like in football the more they add as a penalty, the more the called get convoluted.  Plus the advent of HD replay shows everything.

Kev, you don't expect that from Backes?  LOL  Of course he will say that just like a Blues player would if it was switched. 

Hey, bring on game 3!

I don't recall a single player from the Blues complaining about Robert Thomas getting trucked in Game 1 (which could have been called charging or interference). 

Besides, a repeat offender when it comes to dirty hits like Backes is not the guy to call out the other team for something like that.  Leave that to a player who actually has the credibility to do it.

That's because they knew that was a clean hit and no way that's charging or interference.  He touched the put right before the hit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Speaking of clean hits, Sundqvist's check last night...

That aside, I will be curious to see if the Blues get the same kind of home ice officiating that the Bruins got. 

Edit: Honestly, complaining about getting the shaft is not the Blues thing.  That is all about Berube and his toughness, and it is why the Blues have done such a great job at overcoming adversity in these playoffs.  Even when the hand pass thing happened in the SJ series, the Blues attitude was, "it's over, we are moving on," and then they kicked the Sharks ass the rest of the series.  It almost looked like once again that getting the short end of some questionable calls pissed them off and only make them play better again.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:49:24 AM by KevShmev »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Agree to disagree about the hits.

My belief is that Sundqvist's hit shouldn't be a penalty, bit it *is* in today's NHL.  Somewhere in this thread (it was the Hyman on McIvoy hit earlier in the season), I chewed into 'the game' for not teaching players how to TAKE a hit.  That's sorely missing from this game.  Defenders routinely leave themselves in vulnerable positions - and that's exactly what Grzelcyk did (plus losing his balance).  Earlier in the period, I think it was Carlo, was in the same kind of position, but protected himself appropriately.

It absolutely blows when the actions/movement of a defender is the cause of a penalty.  Totally unfair, but it is what it is.  See, 1/3 of NFL hits (and one reason why I gave up on the NFL).  Players passed the responsibility of protecting them to the LEAGUE instead of owning it themselves, and now that is bleeding into the NHL.

Fair point.

It's like when a DB goes to make a good hit on a WR while aiming for the chest, and then the WR lowers his head at the last second to brace for the hit, their helmets graze, and out come the flags.  It's BS.  I get that it is bad optics when a guy takes a hit and is lying on the ice hurt, but that was a good clean hockey check.

The eye test says it was a good clean check.  It SHOULD have been considered a good clean check, but, in today's NHL, it's a penalty.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Kev ... your bitch-slap is getting harder and harder with each morning-after post!  Tell me what in this constitutes charging or interference.

https://youtu.be/6qRnOAVdGEM?t=60

Krug doesn't take a stride between the St.Louis blueline and the it (ie, not charging), and Thomas is in the process of going after the puck (ie, not interference). 

Speaking of hypocrisy, you can't claim Sundqvist's hit is 'a good clean check', while trying to call Krug's as a penalty.

STOP MAKING ME DEFEND ANYTHING ABOUT A BOSTON TEAM!!!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I can't watch YT at work. :)

And I did say this morning, "...could have been called charging or interference."   I did not definitively say today that it should have been a penalty.

And no one says you have to defend a Boston team. ;) 

No thoughts on the Bruins scoring a goal with an illegal extra man on the ice??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh no doubt they missed that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
At this point, what's done is done.  If the Blues keep playing this physical, they will be tough to beat.  The place is gonna be rocking this Saturday night. :metal :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, the Canadian broadcast didn't even pick up on that.  Guess it wasn't a big deal.   :D ;)

Seeing a pic of it though... yeah, missed call for sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Monday night games are rough though.  LOL

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Oh no doubt they missed that.

What bothers me is that not a F’n word about it....like no big deal. The Bruins only scored a goal there...nothing to see here. Just more crap the Blues have to/did overcome.

I’ll tell you this, I’m going to be livid if Sundquist gets suspended. He was penalized and that was that. Honestly, if you watch the replay the red was right there and wasn’t going to call anything until that dude went down.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
But he is injured. Most likely concussed so I'm betting a game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
But he is injured. Most likely concussed so I'm betting a game.

Not to be insensitive but ‘so what’? The reason he’s injured isn’t because of Sundquist but because of him changing direction. It was questionable whether he should have even gotten a penalty now he could face suspension?

Whatever. I’m sure the same standard will be applied to Boston should one of their players.....wait...sorry.....couldn’t even finish that sentence to be a smart ass. We know it won’t.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
A head hit is a head hit in this league.   It's not what I think, it's what the league thinks and does.  So I'm guessing he's suspended 1 game.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Brian Burke is now an analyst on Sportsnet up here. Earlier in the playoffs, after Kadri got his suspension, he commented how player discipline in the playoffs - hell, each ROUND of the playoffs - is weighted differently than the regular season. He said that when he was head of player safety, disciplinary action in rounds 1-3 were weighted 2:1 (ie, a 1 game playoff suspension is tantamount to a 2-game regular suspension), and that the finals was weighted at 4:1. That's why Lemieux only got 2 games for that brutal hit on Draper way back when - 2 Finals games was equivalent to an 8-game suspension.

If Sundqvist the gets even a single game, that's BS, as that hit by that player would not warrant a 4-game suspension in the regular season.

I'll bet a c-note there is no action.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
He's also only getting a hearing for boarding, not an illegal hit to the head.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have zero faith in the NHL, so I am expecting a bull shit suspension.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Although not the worst in the playoffs, the officiating hasn't been great thus far, that said I'm happy the better team won both games.

Now the Blues need to win AT LEAST one of their home games, because I have to see Joe next week, and I have to deal with him while the Bruins are ahead I may lose my shit. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have zero faith in the NHL, so I am expecting a bull shit suspension.

1 game.

St. Louis’ Oskar Sundqvist has been suspended for one game for Boarding Boston’s Matt Grzelcyk. https://t.co/2W0ZLnn9fI

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Sometimes I hate being right. :lol :lol

Horst shit decision, and his absence will affect their penalty kill, but this will just piss the Blues off and make them play better Saturday. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
F’n horse crap decision. That’s what this is. Boarding? Really? You can’t make up the crap that has happened to the Blues this post season. And yes, this decision is crap. Careful not to check one of the Boston guys fellas.....may get suspended for playing hockey.

F’n ridiculous.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
So that makes the tally from last game a six on four PP goal and now losing a key cog in the machine due to a Boston’s player inability to skate? Got it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Show a random non hockey fan Kurgs hit then Sundquists and ask them which one got suspended and  9/10 answer Kurgs. His hit was 10x dirtier than Sundquists

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
It's all about the head. Told you guys. Krug's hit wasnt the head. The league has gone mad with head hits no matter how it happens.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Most of the Boston media on TV tonight say real time there is no way he could slow himself down from the hit. Most are agreeing with you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
It’s all about something and it’s not the head. Trying to neuter the Blues from playing a heavy game.

I’m with Kev on this.....Berube and Co. haven’t made any excuses this far on the MULTIPLE BS CRAP things that have happened despite having every right to. They’ll press on and play a heck of a game three.

Can’t wait to see what goes against them in that one. Maybe the NHL will revoke Tarasenkos foreign work permit due to a misspelling on the application?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:16:07 PM by gmillerdrake »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Most of the Boston media on TV tonight say real time there is no way he could slow himself down from the hit. Most are agreeing with you.

Well they should. Any intellectually honest hockey fan can see that wasn’t a penalty. Watch the replay. The ref doesn’t even lift his arm for a penalty until long after the hit. Wasn’t going to call it until the player fell to the ice. Can ref on optics like that. Ref the play.

Offline Rattlehead

The Krug hit was definitely dirtier and completely unnecessary in my opinion. I never played Hockey and don't have a complete grasp on all of the rules, but it amazes me that blatant targeting like that is legal.

The Sundqvist hit was just a routine check and the guy happened to be in an awkward position...

But here we are talking about a Sundqvist suspension, meanwhile Krug's hit is being celebrated by teammates/fans/media  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:21:37 PM by Rattlehead »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The NHL is like the NFL: they want us to believe that they actually care about concussions and head injuries when we know they really don't.  They know big hits are what get a lot of people excited about watching the game, but the minute a guy gets hurt due to a hit, even when it was clean and there was no intent to injure, they get their PR stooge to put out some release that nobody with a brain buys.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Meanwhile Blais catches an elbow/shoulder that was directly targeted at his head and it’s a ‘good’ hit. Good because he’s a Blue

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meanwhile Blais catches an elbow/shoulder that was directly targeted at his head and it’s a ‘good’ hit. Good because he’s a Blue

Let's not go there. There are plenty of physical plays that we all can complain about.  The only reason this one was called is that it was about the head.

I would be fine with 2 minutes boarding and move on. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Let's not go there. There are plenty of physical plays that we all can complain about.  The only reason this one was called is that it was about the head.

I would be fine with 2 minutes boarding and move on.

I understand not wanting to go there. It was a hockey hit. I bring it up because according to the NHLs interpretation and explanation of Sundquists suspension that hit on Blais was just as egregious.

My point is.....we now have the NHL cherry picking hits to give suspensions for depending on how loud a fan base or ownership group complains. And, I’m frankly just fucking fed up with seeing the Blues get the short end of the stick EVERY Fn time there’s a stick for the short end to be had. It gets a tad old after 30 or so years.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Sundqvist saw numbers basically the entire forecheck. I somewhat understand the argument of Grzelcyk having a bit too much speed in the attempt to play the puck, but it doesn't change the fact Sundqvist did NOT have to deliver the check.

I'll just refer to the player safety decision here, because I basically agree with the presentation and argumentation on why it was an illegal check that could've easily been avoided. I don't necessarily agree with the suspension though, but it should've been 5 and a game. https://www.nhl.com/video/sundqvist-suspended-one-game/t-277440360/c-68343803

I'm not sure what the hit on Blais is about, haven't seen any controversial footage.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:25:12 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
They are not cherry picking.  Hit to the head is a hit to the head even though Griz put himself in a vulnerable position.