Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91500 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Someone always screws the Blues
« Reply #945 on: May 16, 2019, 01:27:56 PM »
Without getting into the great debate about reviews and such right now I just want to say that it's an awful day to be a Blues fan, or a hockey fan in general.

Given the play was near the net and four officials should have had their focus at or near the puck there is just no excuse for that getting missed, and the Blues got shafted in an otherwise great game.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #946 on: May 16, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
I will stick to the same stance as I did on the SJS/VGK debacle... great teams overcome their obstacles - they don't blame their circumstances on them.  This is a big one, but there was no guarantee that the Blues would've won if the right call was made.  The only fact for sure is that they DID lose because of the call.  They still could've lost this game.  If the Sharks win in 7, then it'll be a summer of 'what ifs' regarding this call.  If the Sharks win in 6 or less, they deserve it.  If the Blues win, no one will remember (or at least care about) this call in a few months.

Great teams overcome their obstacles.  Stanley Cup Winning teams overcome and rise up.  Time for them to shut up, and put up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dparrott

« Reply #947 on: May 16, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
Oh don't worry, I'm sure the Sharks will crash and burn at some point like they always do.   It might not be in the WCF, but they will probably not get past Boston.  It'll probably end up the same as their last SCF with Pitt.

Many people are calling the Sharks cheaters.  A split second mental error that was not caught by the officials is not the same as a calculated plan to get an advantage against the other team.  Cheaters is a harsh word. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #948 on: May 16, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »
Given the play was near the net and four officials should have had their focus at or near the puck there is just no excuse for that getting missed, and the Blues got shafted in an otherwise great game.

I agree. That's not to say the play isn't whistled dead like it should have been....face off....puck dropped and the Sharks score 30 seconds later. But to lose on that play still stings. Should the Blues lose this series that's going to be a brutal 'L' to have taken.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: May 16, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Oh don't worry, I'm sure the Sharks will crash and burn at some point like they always do.   It might not be in the WCF, but they will probably not get past Boston.  It'll probably end up the same as their last SCF with Pitt.

Many people are calling the Sharks cheaters.  A split second mental error that was not caught by the officials is not the same as a calculated plan to get an advantage against the other team.  Cheaters is a harsh word.

Agreed.  The Sharks aren't the culprits here ... the zebra's are.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: May 16, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
I will stick to the same stance as I did on the SJS/VGK debacle... great teams overcome their obstacles - they don't blame their circumstances on them.  This is a big one, but there was no guarantee that the Blues would've won if the right call was made.  The only fact for sure is that they DID lose because of the call.  They still could've lost this game.  If the Sharks win in 7, then it'll be a summer of 'what ifs' regarding this call.  If the Sharks win in 6 or less, they deserve it.  If the Blues win, no one will remember (or at least care about) this call in a few months.

Great teams overcome their obstacles.  Stanley Cup Winning teams overcome and rise up.  Time for them to shut up, and put up.

Whole Heartedly agree Chad. It sucks but hey......don't Fn ice the puck over and over and give their star players a breather. Don't let a soft tying goal go in and then let that soft game winning OT goal go in and it's mute. Score on an empty Fn net and this isn't a conversation. I'm not blaming the Loss on the refs....Blues did their part to even allow that retarded play to happen. But for that hand pass to have been missed by (4) officials that are supposed to be engaged in the game is unforgivable...it's brutal.

I'll still maintain that the Sharks haven't shown me anything to be scared about. A couple fortunate bounces and calls/non calls have went their way....good for them....but this Blues team has been resilient all year. I fully expect to head back to SJ with a tied 2-2 series. Chances were SJ was going to split anyway so....just win tomorrow night and call it even.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: May 16, 2019, 02:12:38 PM »
All that call did was give me my first real chance to throw my remote this playoff series and I couldn't even do it because my kids were watching with me. I just looked at them and told them they needed to leave the room...now....because I couldn't guarantee how long I'd hold the mumbling cursing of an irate Dad back.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #952 on: May 16, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »

Whole Heartedly agree Chad. It sucks but hey......don't Fn ice the puck over and over and give their star players a breather. Don't let a soft tying goal go in and then let that soft game winning OT goal go in and it's mute. Score on an empty Fn net and this isn't a conversation. I'm not blaming the Loss on the refs....Blues did their part to even allow that retarded play to happen. But for that hand pass to have been missed by (4) officials that are supposed to be engaged in the game is unforgivable...it's brutal.

I'll still maintain that the Sharks haven't shown me anything to be scared about. A couple fortunate bounces and calls/non calls have went their way....good for them....but this Blues team has been resilient all year. I fully expect to head back to SJ with a tied 2-2 series. Chances were SJ was going to split anyway so....just win tomorrow night and call it even.

Yes.  A better worded version of what I was trying to say.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #953 on: May 16, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
I just got home so I'm reading the last page.

I don't really subscribe to the fact that the Blues should have overcome, closed things out in regulation. The game is the game, and that's how it goes. But the game CANNOT end like that, no matter who scores it. This is an embarrassment to the league. They had a chance to fix this during the Bruins series and somehow chose not too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #954 on: May 16, 2019, 06:09:19 PM »
Would someone please tell me why Todd Gurley sounded the horn before the game tonight? He looked about as into it as he did the Super Bowl.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:02 PM »
Nino Neiterdiver.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #956 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »
Here is another way of looking at it: I read someone say that Schenn was blocking the view of the dumbass ref behind the net.  Okay, so if that is true, that means he lost sight of the puck and the play should have been blown dead, right?  That is what they always tell us.  If the ref loses sight of the puck, he blows it dead.  So either he couldn't see the puck and failed to do his job properly, or he saw the puck and was too blind/stupid to see the hand pass. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #957 on: May 16, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
That's a reach. I'm sure refs' views get blocked every shift at one point or another.  That'd be cause for a lot of whistles.

It's Toronto's fault!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: May 16, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
No, it's the officials' fault.  Yeah, it is moronic that a play like that cannot be overruled, but if 1 of 4 officials cannot see what happens with the puck, then they should fire the entire crew and start over from scratch. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #959 on: May 16, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
Well, it's crazy they missed it, I'll give you that. I've seen a million hand pass calls and half the time, I didn't even see it. Last night's could not have been more blatant.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #960 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:55 PM »
B's need to shoot more.  One less pass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #961 on: May 16, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
No kidding.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #962 on: May 16, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
Who knows....if the refs called the penalty on the puck over glass we dont even get to the hand pass with a power play goal
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
Time for some rest.

LETS GO BLUES!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #964 on: May 16, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
Eh, it's over.  It's extremely difficult to win an evenly-contested series when one game is stolen from you.  I didn't watch tonight's game (I am assuming Boston won) and will not watch any more once the Blues get eliminated.  F this league.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: May 16, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
Don't give up hope man.  Only down 1.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #967 on: May 16, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
Ugh. Here we go again. Let’s go whoever comes out of the West. Please don’t make me watch Boston win it’s third championship in six months.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline dparrott

« Reply #968 on: May 16, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
This is the third Boston team to be in a league final in six months.  Even more crazier, it might be against ANOTHER California team!!!  What are the odds of THAT?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
So it turns out the officials could have used a rule to overturn the Sharks winner the other day.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-admits-to-missed-call-on-karlssons-game-3-ot-winner-224116442.html

Rule 38.4(ix) lets the NHL “assist the Referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g. to ensure they are “good hockey goals”). For example (but not limited to), pucks that enter the net by going through the net meshing, pucks that enter the net from underneath the net frame, pucks that hit the spectator netting prior to being directed immediately into the goal, pucks that enter the net undetected by the Referee, etc.”

So the four officials all not only weren't watching the puck to see the hand pass, but they ignored a rule that could have overturned an illegal goal that decided a game in the conference finals.  Awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You missed copy/pasting the part where Campbell said "you could probably use [Rule 38.4(ix)] but i think it has to be a discussion [before expanding use of that rule]."

You don't just start expanding use / interpretation of any rule mid-way thru round 3.

Jim Hughson (primary play-by-play guy for Canadian broadcasts), suggested making the hand pass a legal thing in all zones.  While it's an interesting idea, the problem isn't egregious hand-passing ... the problem is getting egregiously missed calls corrected when the human eye(s) miss them in real time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
In all the leagues they keep adding rule that seem to have a convoluted affect.  Doesn't it seem so simple to have a guy at the league office look and rule on these?  We are not talking for hooks, trips ect.  Just the big moment things like goals.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
In all the leagues they keep adding rule that seem to have a convoluted affect.  Doesn't it seem so simple to have a guy at the league office look and rule on these?  We are not talking for hooks, trips ect.  Just the big moment things like goals.

The problem becomes, here and in earlier discussion, where you draw the line. This case is easy because the puck went in so soon after the hand pass. But what if they pass it around the zone for 15 seconds and then score? The firm truth is still that the play should have been blown dead on the hand pass and there would be no goal as a result. What if they cycle it for a minute? Same thing. What if they take it out of the zone, play at the other end for a while, bring it back and then score? Same thing. I don't want to leave it to officials to determine some random point something like a hand pass or high stick (not deflection into the net, just knocking down) led to a goal. Either the system stays the way it is now or the play HAS to be reviewable back to the previous whistle, in my view. Because any infraction that would have caused the play to be blown dead between that whistle in the goal would negate the goal. And I don't think that's something anyone wants either.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's easy.  The hand pass in the offensive goal is illegal so it's a no goal.  No replay because 4 ref miss it shouldn't kill the opportunity for replay.

Offline dparrott

If the hand pass leads to a goal, isn't that an assist?  All assists should be reviewable.  If a hand pass leads to passing the puck back and forth, that's not an assist on a goal? Should not be reviewable?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
You missed copy/pasting the part where Campbell said "you could probably use [Rule 38.4(ix)] but i think it has to be a discussion [before expanding use of that rule]."

You don't just start expanding use / interpretation of any rule mid-way thru round 3.

Based on how the rule is read, it could have been applied, but the officials and the league all showed they have no balls.  The way the officials quickly skated off the ice, like they just robbed a bank, said it all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Based on how the rule is read, it could have been applied, but the officials and the league all showed they have no balls.  The way the officials quickly skated off the ice, like they just robbed a bank, said it all.

You and I must've been watching a different game then.  They huddled for a minute or two before leaving. Ultimately, the conversation was "Did you see it?" x4 ... "Nope" x4.  "Are hand passes reviewable"... "Nope" x4.  What more is there to talk about?  There's nothing to announce to the arena or to debrief with the Captains/coaches.  Call on the ice was a goal; the game is over.

It was a missed/bad call, and these four have been benched now.  On and off ice officiating is governed by the Governors/owners.  And if there isn't a general consensus (let alone an official vote) that this specific rule can/should be used is wide use, it's not up to the four zebras on the ice - or the situation room - to make that decision midway thru the 3rd round.  It's a no win situation for them in that moment.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

You and I must've been watching a different game then.  They huddled for a minute or two before leaving. Ultimately, the conversation was "Did you see it?" x4 ... "Nope" x4.  "Are hand passes reviewable"... "Nope" x4.  What more is there to talk about?  There's nothing to announce to the arena or to debrief with the Captains/coaches.  Call on the ice was a goal; the game is over.

It was a missed/bad call, and these four have been benched now.  On and off ice officiating is governed by the Governors/owners.  And if there isn't a general consensus (let alone an official vote) that this specific rule can/should be used is wide use, it's not up to the four zebras on the ice - or the situation room - to make that decision midway thru the 3rd round.  It's a no win situation for them in that moment.

To clarify, I meant after their brief huddle. They gave no explanation to the Blues, just bolted once they decided.  And one of them did a hand pass motion when they were discussing it, almost like he thought maybe he saw it, and in that instance, that is when the above rule can be applied.  Get with the league and get their assistance to confirm it is a good goal or not, but they were gutless and just decided to call it a good goal even though one of them clearly had some doubt and bolted like their asses were on fire.

The fact that the league had still not made an official statement about it is shameful. We only know about these 4 clowns not working again this playoff because Colin Campbell emailed it to someone in the press.  There has been no statement, no apology to the Blues organization.  Not that that makes it better (the ass raping the Blues got will still stand), but a good organization would have been on top of this right away.  But this is the NHL...

Edit: correction, Campbell said it on a radio show, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:48:14 AM by KevShmev »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Also, from that article I posted earlier, I forgot this little nugget:

“I don’t think I would use that card in the third round of a playoff — I’m not so sure San Jose would appreciate if we used that rule for the first time in that game, even though it would would’ve been correct,” Campbell said.

San Jose wouldn't have appreciated them interpreting a rule in the correct way?  He and the league are giving the Blues organization and the entire city the middle finger.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's finger service.  That's bullshit for we fucked up.  I get your pain Kev but I wouldn't give up.  They league needs to fix this.  They simple need to have the league office look at all goals.  It takes a minute or 2 for them to look at a goal like this.