Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91488 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Round 2 -All guts and glory-a!
« Reply #875 on: May 12, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
Agreed.  The 3rd goal he probably should have stopped (although it looked like he might have gotten screened), but he had no chance on the first two goals, the 4th goal was a spectacular individual play by the goal scorer (cannot remember who, but I have seen Tarasenko score goals like that before), and the 5th goal was just bad luck (Shark threw the pick towards the front of the net and it hit Dunn's skate and ricocheted past him before he could blink.

I dunno... I think Binnington over-played the shooter side on that 1st goal (the 2-1).  Both of Meir's goals were unstoppable (killer move; bad luck) - though, on the 3rd with that awesome deke, looks like Parayako could've hustled a little more to put some pressure on Meir's stick?  Pavelski's 5-3 pp goal ... yeah, no chance there either.

Go 'Canes!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Round 2 -All guts and glory-a!
« Reply #876 on: May 12, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
Go Canes eh Chad? Lol

6 to go.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Man that Bruins PP is lethal - 33% for the playoffs.

Well, the 'Canes were down 2-0 to the Caps and came back.  Hoping they can replicate that feat, though not optimistic.  The Bruins look like they are chugging along quite nicely.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Two soft goals by Binnington, who is apparently turning into a pumpkin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Those are both on our dumbass captain.  That awful turnover on the 1st goal completely changed the game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Make no mistake, Logan Couture is filthy, but Binnington has to have those. And yes, Pietrangelo looked a little soft too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I’ll take a scrappy road W from the Blues....a win is a win.

9 down 7 to go
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yep, despite Peicrapelo, we managed to get the W. :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I must've shut the TV off right before the Blues scored their 3rd goal. Good for them for steadying the ship and getting the win. I still feel like they have the advantage in goal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sure they do, but the Sharks have a more explosive offence. The Blues only go as far as their D and Binnington take them. That Blues PP was dreadful.

The Bruins should just decline the next penalty. WTF!

This applies to the Blues now. 3 shorties they've given up these playoffs.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Our power play is wretched. I don’t know why Perron is out there. When he’s on he’s on.....but man, he is pitiful right now. So is #27. I’m no longer calling him by his name.....he’s just #27. I could give a  :censored less about how many minutes he eats up or how good he used to be.....he’s now just an above average D man who insists on turning the puck over 5 times a game....of which all lead to quality scoring chances. I declare by all things holy if the Blues re-sign him after next season I’ll gouge my eyes out and spray expanding insulating foam into my ear canal so I cannot see him play or hear his name.

Robert Thomas should take Perron’s spot on the #1 unit.....Paryako should take #27’s.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Good morning Gary! :lol

Offline goo-goo

I hope the Sharks win the Stanley Cup for Joe Thornton. He deserves it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I guess Perron ‘deserved’ that blind side, cheap shot elbow to the head a few years back also? Honestly, Joe Thornton certainly deserves something but it’s nit his name etched on the Cup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I wouldn't have a problem with Thornton getting a Cup but for:
A. It'd be against the Bruins, and
B. that would mean Eric Karlsson gets one too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I'll just pull for the B's to win to help all you out. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Our power play is wretched.

'Nuff said.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Offline pg1067

Comments like this always bug me.  Neither Thornton nor any other athlete "deserves" anything other than what he earns.  If his team doesn't win the cup, then he didn't deserve it.  It's as simple as that.  Plus, Thornton has been nothing but a choke artist since he joined the Sharts.  One of only four men in NHL history (and only five in North American sports history) to captain a team to a series loss after having a 3-0 lead.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Comments like this always bug me.  Neither Thornton nor any other athlete "deserves" anything other than what he earns.  If his team doesn't win the cup, then he didn't deserve it.  It's as simple as that.  Plus, Thornton has been nothing but a choke artist since he joined the Sharts.  One of only four men in NHL history (and only five in North American sports history) to captain a team to a series loss after having a 3-0 lead.

I get where you're coming from, but there is a flip side, perhaps best shown by a guy like Shane Doan.

Great player who stayed loyal to a team in a non-traditional market, and despite never been given a lot to work with worked his ass off trying to get the Coyotes a cup. You can't say he personally didn't work to a level of a player who could certainly have won a cup, and if anything it was his dedication and loyalty to his team (a good trait) that ultimately cost him a chance.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I know Jeter is the one outside of hockey, and Ovechkin is one of the guys from the NHL, but who were the other two?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chara, for one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That damn Flyers series.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
And they were up 3-0 in Game 7!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That damn Flyers series.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It all turned when Gagne returned from injury and Krejhi went out with one.

Offline pg1067

I get where you're coming from, but there is a flip side, perhaps best shown by a guy like Shane Doan.

Great player who stayed loyal to a team in a non-traditional market, and despite never been given a lot to work with worked his ass off trying to get the Coyotes a cup. You can't say he personally didn't work to a level of a player who could certainly have won a cup, and if anything it was his dedication and loyalty to his team (a good trait) that ultimately cost him a chance.

I see where you're coming from with respect to Doan.  I hated him as an opponent, but that's because he always played my team tough.  The loyalty thing is commendable, and it's a personal choice.  The same can be said for Tony Gwynn.  Ultimately, though, and despite all the good things associated with them, neither was good enough to lead an otherwise unremarkable team to a championship.  In fact, outside of 2012, the Coyotes have never even won a playoff series.  Gwynn's Padres at least made it to the World Series twice (although they only made the playoffs one other time in Gwynn's career).

The other guy that I thought about was Ray Borque.  Before winning in Colorado, did Borque "deserve" a Cup?

I know Jeter is the one outside of hockey, and Ovechkin is one of the guys from the NHL, but who were the other two?

In addition to Jeter:

1. Eddie Goodfellow, captain of the 1941-42 Detroit Red Wings (blew 3-0 lead over Toronto in Stanley Cup Final)
2. Ron Schock, captain of the 1974-75 Pittsburgh Penguins (blew 3-0 lead over NYI in quarter-finals)
3. Zdeno Chara, captain of the 2009-10 Boston Bruins (blew 3-0 lead over Philadelphia in conference semi-finals)
4. Joe Thornton, captain of the 2013-14 San Jose Sharks (blew 3-0 lead over LA in conference quarter-finals)

Ovechkin's Capitals blew 3-1 series leads in 2015 (against NYR) and in 2010 (against Montreal), but they never blew a 3-0 lead.  In 2015, they were up 1-0, but the Rangers won game 2.  In 2010, they dropped game 1 before winning the next 3 and then dropping the final 3.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jesus, Rask has been amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh man, who could forget Eddie Goodfellow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jesus, Rask has been amazing.

Justin Williams is losing his mind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
And now 2-0.  Crowd has gone silent.   That 1st period they were loud!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Soft goal by Rask after standing on his head for 35 minutes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Soft goal by Rask after standing on his head for 35 minutes.

I know. Been a great game so far.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
*Exhales*

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Please Blues, win your series, I don't want to root for the damned Sharks.

Last game was definitely a nail in the coffin for the Canes, no way they are pulling a Flyers and coming back in 7. Damn that was a good series. :D

That said, I get that Williams is the captain, the veteran, and wants to light a fire, but he's got to realize that Marchand has seasons of experience being an asshole and he's not going to magically transform into that role now. His performance in that game will be a dark spot on an otherwise amazing career.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1