Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91515 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I didn't stay up for the game, but after seeing the highlights just now, that might be the worst call I have ever seen in a playoff game in any sport.  A 5-minute major for barely touching the guy who tumbled and fell wrong?  That is unbelievable.  If I were a Vegas fan, I would have lost my mind over that.  That makes the non-call in the Saints/Rams game earlier this year look like nothing.  Wow.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
For once the other team choked INSTEAD of the Sharks!

Vegas fans are going to be like Saints fans: blaming the end of their season on a ref.  But they had plenty of chances to take the Sharks down and didn't.

You can’t say Vegas choked. No way. They had a dominant 3-0 lead on the road in a Game 7 with 10 minutes to go and had the rug pulled out from under them by that horrible call. At worst that was a 2 minute cross checking call...if that. Pavelski had just been ROCKED by a check the shift before and was undoubtedly still feeling the effects of it.....he stood straight up from the draw and fell rather simply when checked. Had he not hit his head and been knocked out cold that play continues with no whistle and no call. The Refs were letting both teams get away with murder in that game....the fact they threw that call on Vegas right there was pretty bad.

I would be livid were I a Vegas fan. Like Kev said....that call is up there with the non pass interference call on the Rams vs the Saints.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For once the other team choked INSTEAD of the Sharks!

There is still plenty of time left for the Sharks to choke. You know the ancient Chinese proverb:

The sun will rise, the sun will fall
The tide will come, and the tide will go
The Sharks will make the playoffs, and the Sharks will choke out laughably

I was rooting for the Knights, but again, that 3rd period and OT was nuts, great to watch. After that long PK Fleury looked shaky the rest of the game, and although he was overall better than Jones it's no surprise the he let in the final goal of the series. Also a great example of what fresh legs deep into OT can do. Guy basically played next to nothing all night and as a result was able to breeze cleanly be the defense. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline goo-goo

That has been Andre-Fleury's career problem: when he is clutch, he is unstoppable. When he is cold, man, the guy lets in very soft goals.

Unfortunate fall for Pavelski but that shouldn't have been a penalty. However, Vegas had 3 games to close the series out. It was a great series.

The Sharks are going as far as Martin Jones will take them. He might be the weakest link in the Shark's overall game.

Offline dparrott

The Sharks scored 4 goals in 4:01. Even if the penalty was a double minor, nothing would have changed.

The injury fired up the Sharks and Vegas couldn't contain them.  It ain't the ref's fault Vegas didn't kill the penalty. Just like it ain't the ref's fault the Saints threw an INT and didn't stop the Rams in OT.  Stop blaming the refs for failing to stop the opponent.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:24:39 AM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Terrible call, but as has been mentioned, VGK had plenty of opportunities to put this one to bed before, during and after that call.  Plus... how many times do you see 4 goals scored in a major penalty?  That's ridiculous - and part of THAT falls on VGK to own.  Winners overcome their obstacles; losers blame them.

As for the Leafs ... welp.  This was exactly the outcome I knew 100% was going to happen after they couldn't put the Bruins away on Sunday.  More later.  I got work to do sadly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
The Sharks scored 4 goals in 4:01. Even if the penalty was a double minor, nothing would have changed.

I agree that Vegas should have done better in killing the penalty, but that's a straight up untrue statement.

If it was a double minor Vegas would have been at full strength with a 3-2 lead, not with a 3-4 deficit.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree that Vegas should have done better in killing the penalty, but that's a straight up untrue statement.

If it was a double minor Vegas would have been at full strength with a 3-2 lead, not with a 3-4 deficit.

I get the point that Vegas still needed to perform. Deal with it and perform. I get it. But to dismiss the fact that San Jose was dead in the water in that game and at that point in the game....just watching their season tick down.....then are handed a gift wrapped PP....5 minute major at that on a call that should have never been made....to ignore the fact that Vegas was completely blindsided and hijacked by that call is not intellectually honest.

Again I get the sentiment that Vegas has multiple chances to close the series out and they failed to rise to the occasion and not let 4 goals in in 4 minutes. Got it. But think of that exact scenario happening to your team and tell me you wouldn’t be livid? It was a crock of  :censored

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I personally like the fact SJ won because out of those two teams they are the least scary to have to face considering the state of their health/players and goaltending.

Offline kaos2900

I'm a Sharks fan so obviously I'm happy with the outcome. 4 goals in in 4 minutes is unacceptable regardless of the penalty or not. Plus, Vegas tied it to get to OT and could have won it there.

Offline Anguyen92

Again I get the sentiment that Vegas has multiple chances to close the series out and they failed to rise to the occasion and not let 4 goals in in 4 minutes. Got it. But think of that exact scenario happening to your team and tell me you wouldn’t be livid? It was a crock of  :censored

From my observations, the Sharks had their fair share of controversial calls that didn't go their way that cost them games in the series against the Kings in 2013 and 2014.  I recall Game 2 in 2013 where Kings were on the power play, trailing behind 3-2, with the last minutes of the game, and there was some controversy where the puck was out of play and it was either Jeff Carter tipped it out or one of the Sharks tipped it out.  If the refs deemed the Sharks play it out, it would be deemed a delay of game call.  Refs ruled it as Delay of Game on the Sharks.  Kings went on a 5 on 3 and converted both those times to literally steal the game 2 win from the Sharks.  I am not going to complain about that since obviously Kings on the game, but I don't blame the Sharks for being livid at the time.

Another instance was Game 6 in the 2014 series.  Tied game in the 3rd.  Was a solidly played game for both teams.  Justin Williams poked the puck between the goalie's legs and it looked like he may have pushed the goalie while attempting to poke the puck in the goal.  Sharks wanted goalie interference on that one, refs stated the goal was a good one, and then Kopitar turned it up and scored two straight goals.  Once again, I don't blame the Sharks and their fans for being livid on the Williams goal.  Heck, the Kings got screwed in a regular season game against the Red Wings back in late 2013, I think.  Puck was clearly out of play, but it hit the netting, the puck landed on the back of Quick's neck and went in the goal.  Refs deemed that a good goal with no further review (which was absolutely horses***), , tying the game and the Red Wings won in OT. 

It really sucks when these kinds of referee judgment calls has been made and it wouldn't hurt if these calls are more consistent, but that's always a uphill battle to face.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree, it was a crock of shit call.  But to put the blame SOLELY on the refs for that just shifting the blame.  How many 5-minute majors give up 4 goals. C'mon... THAT is on VGK, not the refs.  Yes, Vegas fans have a right to be pissed... but not SOLELY at the call.  How many teams have a BS call against them but *still* win (Boston had a BS non-goaltending interference call go against them in Game 5 ... still they came back and won 2 games to take the series). 

Jesus Gary, now I'm pissed at you now for making me use Boston to validate my point!!!

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree, it was a crock of shit call.  But to put the blame SOLELY on the refs for that just shifting the blame.  How many 5-minute majors give up 4 goals. C'mon... THAT is on VGK, not the refs.  Yes, Vegas fans have a right to be pissed... but not SOLELY at the call.  How many teams have a BS call against them but *still* win (Boston had a BS non-goaltending interference call go against them in Game 5 ... still they came back and won 2 games to take the series). 

Jesus Gary, now I'm pissed at you now for making me use Boston to validate my point!!!

:lol    My work is done.

Like I said....I totally get it. Vegas still needed to perform and rise to the occasion. They blew a 3 games to 1 lead.....it really is their 'fault' they lost the series. I'd still be ticked if I were a Vegas fan because if not for that call I don't see SJ making a come back in that game were they to continue playing the way they were playing. Good on them to use that moment as a rallying call....but that moment should have never happened.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Last for Round 1
« Reply #713 on: April 24, 2019, 12:04:46 PM »
 :lol

Thanks Gary, That just made my day. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I hope Zucarello goes all Nick Kypreos on Binnington.   :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I hope Zucarello goes all Nick Kypreos on Binnington.   :P

:omg:  Watch your tongue Mr!   You know dang well that’s entirely possible, especially with the Blues showing promise.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: April 24, 2019, 12:26:05 PM »
I'm kidding of course.... I just had to snipe back with something.  :lol

You know I'm on team Blues now.  And not the Jackets.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: April 24, 2019, 12:35:19 PM »
I'm kidding of course.... I just had to snipe back with something.  :lol

You know I'm on team Blues now.  And not the Jackets.

:tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:14 PM »
I don't know how ya'll are doing, but this first round wrecked my picks. Even IF game 7 goes my way tonight my best case scenario is 3 out of 8.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. time to dance
« Reply #719 on: April 24, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »

East
Tampa Bay v. Columbus
Boston v. Toronto
Washington v. Carolina
New York v. Pittsburgh

West (going complete opposite of you here pg)
Calgary v. Colorado
San Jose v. Las Vegas
Nashville v. Dallas
Winnipeg v. St. Louis

3-4 in the West.  TBD for the east.  I have a feeling the Canes are gonna pull out the upset.  Washington has looked too inconsistent.

I'm in a pool with 76 people, that allowed for 20 picks.  No one still has 20 players, and 4 people are already lost all their players.  Crazy with all the upsets.  If the Canes do pull out the upset, that's all 4 #1 seeds gone.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
East
Tampa Bay v. Columbus
Boston v. Toronto
Washington v. Carolina
New York v. Pittsburgh

West
Calgary v. Colorado
San Jose v. Las Vegas
Nashville v. Dallas
Winnipeg v. St. Louis

Missed Vegas and Tampa Bay. See about Washington tonight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #721 on: April 24, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Carolina turning into a pumpkin tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #722 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:40 PM »
It just feels like Carolina is gonna win this somehow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #723 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
God I hope so. The Caps are the only team in the league that the Bruins cannot beat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: April 24, 2019, 08:26:15 PM »
Since the Canes are getting all of the chances in OT, they are bound to lose.

Offline dparrott

Yea I forgot it would have been cancelled.  Emotions overruled intellect, sorry.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #726 on: April 24, 2019, 09:30:01 PM »
Nice hearing The Enemy Inside during that TV timeout

Really happy to see Carolina win
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline dparrott

« Reply #727 on: April 24, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »
Nice hearing The Enemy Inside during that TV timeout

Really happy to see Carolina win

I loved Seek And Destroy during the game intro, and Brass Monkey during one of the breaks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #728 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
I think I heard Alter Bridge's Isolation before a faceoff drop as well.  This arena has got some good tracks to play.  I think it's safe to say the Hurricanes earned that goal.  They were playing really well in the OTs, in comparison to the 3rd where they got slaughtered in shots.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: April 25, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »
2 for 8, need to be perfect from here on out just to get above .500. That said the Islanders are the only pick I feel strongly about, so I'll probably get wrecked again this round.

Islanders
Columbus
St. Louis
Colorado

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: April 25, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
East
Tampa Bay v. Columbus
Boston v. Toronto
Washington v. Carolina
New York v. Pittsburgh

West
Calgary v. Colorado
San Jose v. Las Vegas
Nashville v. Dallas
Winnipeg v. St. Louis

Missed Vegas and Tampa Bay. See about Washington tonight.

4 for 8

Islanders v. Hurricaines
Boston v. Columbus

Colorado v. San Jose
Blues v. Stars

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #731 on: April 25, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
Islanders over Hurricanes
Blue Jackets over Bruins

Blues over Stars
Sharks over Avalanche
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: April 25, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
Islanders v. Hurricaines
Boston v. Columbus

Colorado v. San Jose
Blues v. Stars

I hope I'm wrong about Boston, but I just don't think Columbus is *that* good.

Blues/Stars is the only series I'm interested in watching.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #733 on: April 25, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »
8:30 pm local start times for two of the first four Blues/Stars games on a work night.  Thanks a lot for proving once again that you don't give a shit about the fans, NHL. :tdwn :tdwn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #734 on: April 25, 2019, 09:14:16 AM »
8:30 pm local start times for two of the first four Blues/Stars games on a work night.  Thanks a lot for proving once again that you don't give a shit about the fans, NHL. :tdwn :tdwn

Man what a crappy start time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC