Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91512 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. 1 month to post-season
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »
Love those St. Pat's uniforms.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #491 on: March 16, 2019, 05:32:48 AM »
I loved the result of the game.  The Leafs have been way to inconsistent WITHIN games this week.  1 horrible period against the Blackhawks cost them 2 points; same was almost the case last night.  They better put a full 60 minutes in tonight.  I know it's the Sens, but they always show up in the 'battle of Ontario'
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #492 on: March 23, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »
What in the fucking hell is going on with the Oilers? Losing to the Sens at home?

Has Hitchcock had any impact?

Schecter, man..I feel bad. How can they be this bad?

Oh, and if any of you get a chance to see the Noel Acciari fight against the Panthers Saturday night...Holy Mother of lefts!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #493 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »
What in the fucking hell is going on with the Oilers? Losing to the Sens at home?

Has Hitchcock had any impact?

Schecter, man..I feel bad. How can they be this bad?

Oh, and if any of you get a chance to see the Noel Acciari fight against the Panthers Saturday night...Holy Mother of lefts!

Dumpster  Fire. That's what's going on in edmonton. When the president is calling out fourth liners by name at season ticket holder events,  you know that burning garbage smell is coming from our fancy new arena downtown.

As for Hitch, he had the usual impact he has with new teams: great in the beginning, but he eventually loses the room with his coaching style.  The problem in edmonton is that he apparently lost the team immediately after starting out 9-2. There's rumors they're asking about Ken Holland's availability for the GM position. I would love to see some competent people in this organization.

Then again,  maybe this season is all Tobby Reider's fault.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: March 24, 2019, 05:29:31 AM »
Tim, a billion lefts.  That was crazy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2019, 05:44:38 AM »
Edmonton is wasting away the benefits of McDavid and Draisatl. If they don't right the ship in the next year or two, why would either stay past the end of their contract?  What a shit show.

Leafs are limping in to the playoffs, and I dread another Game 7 in beantown. I think it's another first round exit. Dubas needs to rebuild the defence (and try to find a way to unload Zaitsev's contract), and the young bucks need another year of developing their defensive fundamentals to be more consistent.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off at Torts if CBJ doesn't make the playoffs after going all-in at the trade deadline.

Both wildcard races look real interesting. Gonna be a fun couple of weeks.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
The Blues about gave me (and Gary too, I am sure :lol) a heart attack in that 3rd period last night, but held on for a thrilling win over the Lightning. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
The Blues about gave me (and Gary too, I am sure :lol) a heart attack in that 3rd period last night, but held on for a thrilling win over the Lightning.

Yeah. That was a fun one to watch. I felt vindicated when the Lightning PP goal was called back due toniffsides  as the phantom penalty on Perron was a very weak and ‘fortunate’ call for the Lightning. Strong game by the Blues in the face of that caliber of opponent....who they’ve beaten twice now this year.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
Tomorrow night's Oil vs. Kings game is the last one of the season for which I drew tickets. It's so bad in Edmonton right now that I can't even sell them for $30 each (half of my cost...which is discounted to 65% of face value). The oiler's can boast about selling out every game, but that's only because 15,000 of the 18,500 seats are already sold before the season even starts. If they relied on walk up ticket sales you would think they were playing in Florida or Arizona it would be so empty in the arena.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: March 26, 2019, 05:54:34 AM »
Watching Boston blow a 2-goal 3rd period lead was glorious.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #500 on: March 26, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »
Watching Boston blow a 2-goal 3rd period lead was glorious.

I knew you'd love it.  Hated that it happened but that's a good wake up call to them.  60 minutes to beat the best team you may play in the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: March 26, 2019, 08:45:11 AM »
I like the fact that the Blues just had a 4-0 home stand and just beat Tampa Bay and Vegas (who was 10-1-1 heading into the game) back to back. Team game is looking solid and they're playing pretty confident. It's all but a given they'll be playing Nashville in the first round. They're (2) pts behind them with a game at hand so really it's a matter of who is going to get the home ice.

4pts behind Winnipeg for first in the division so there's an outside chance they could catch them should the Jets drop a couple and the Blues manage to keep winning. Either way, coming from where they were on January 3rd to now....it's been pretty remarkable and fun to watch.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #502 on: March 26, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
Glad they finally pulled themselves together - and having Tarasenko in my pool has put me in the money.  Top 5 (out of 141) get paid - I'm currently 4th, and 8 points back of 3rd.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #503 on: March 26, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Glad they finally pulled themselves together - and having Tarasenko in my pool has put me in the money.  Top 5 (out of 141) get paid - I'm currently 4th, and 8 points back of 3rd.

He's pretty motivated to hit that 30 goal mark.....he's at (29) right now. Given the fact that he only had something like 11 or 12 goals in the first 40 or so games and he just missed (5) games with an elbow injury it's crazy to think he may get to (30). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #504 on: March 26, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
The Kings have one 3 in a row.  Armageddon is certainly upon us.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. jockeying for position
« Reply #505 on: March 26, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »
Hard to believe this was 22 years ago already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7DlAjrhm9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voy7FIMQj6o

That game was the catalyst for the Red Wings dynasty that won 3 Cups between 1997 and 2002.  The rivalry faded, but man did it burn bright!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #506 on: March 26, 2019, 12:17:08 PM »
Still the best rivalry I've seen in pro sports. Those two teams hated each other, and for good reason. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides for what made the hatred so strong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #507 on: March 26, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Hard to believe this was 22 years ago already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7DlAjrhm9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voy7FIMQj6o

That game was the catalyst for the Red Wings dynasty that won 3 Cups between 1997 and 2002.  The rivalry faded, but man did it burn bright!

That stuff was so good.  Darren McCarty destroying the turtling Claude Lemieux while Patrick Roy comes flying down the ice, only to get clotheslined by Brendan Shanahan was one of the most epic things ever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »
   Darren McCarty destroying the turtling Claude Lemieux while Patrick Roy comes flying down the ice, only to get clotheslined by Brendan Shanahan was one of the most epic things ever.

It was, but if we can be real, McCarty totally blindsided Lemieux, who was just skating by when McCarty turned and clocked him.  Just about anyone would turtle if they had just been clocked in the face and then the offender tried to pound you some more and attempted to knee you in the head.  At that point, your natural reaction is to protect yourself. Don't get me wrong, Lemieux was a POS, but so was McCarty.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2019, 02:23:34 PM »
The 2002 Western Conference Finals between those two teams was probably my favorite of their match ups.  The skill on display in that series was impressive, to say the least.  I've been to games on both sides of that rivalry, and as a Red Wings fan, it was more fun to go to the games in Denver, as there was always a vocal contingent of Wings fans at those games.  I went to a game during the 07/08 season where about 5,000 Wings fans drowned out about 13,000 Avs fans at the Pepsi Center.  Wings hung on for a 3-2 victory.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #510 on: March 27, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
   Darren McCarty destroying the turtling Claude Lemieux while Patrick Roy comes flying down the ice, only to get clotheslined by Brendan Shanahan was one of the most epic things ever.

It was, but if we can be real, McCarty totally blindsided Lemieux, who was just skating by when McCarty turned and clocked him.  Just about anyone would turtle if they had just been clocked in the face and then the offender tried to pound you some more and attempted to knee you in the head.  At that point, your natural reaction is to protect yourself. Don't get me wrong, Lemieux was a POS, but so was McCarty.

I don't disagree, and I honestly hated pretty much everyone on the Wings from that era (save for Yzerman and Listrom, whom I only "hated" because they were good).  However, if I remember correctly (and I might not be remembering correctly without looking it up), the turtle incident was a continuation of and retribution for something that had happened the prior season (a cheap shot by Lemiuex or something like that), so McCarty's actions can't have come as too much of a surprise.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #511 on: March 27, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »

I don't disagree, and I honestly hated pretty much everyone on the Wings from that era (save for Yzerman and Listrom, whom I only "hated" because they were good).  However, if I remember correctly (and I might not be remembering correctly without looking it up), the turtle incident was a continuation of and retribution for something that had happened the prior season (a cheap shot by Lemiuex or something like that), so McCarty's actions can't have come as too much of a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkMSSxWPrqE

This is the incident in question.  Playoffs of '96, and pretty much what sparked that heated and hateful rivalry for the next decade.  Draper had to have facial reconstruction surgery after this.  I hate seeing hits like this, but god damn, do I miss hockey that was played like it was in the 90's and 00's, and earlier.  Something just doesn't quite feel the same about it now.

[/nostalgia]

(edit - forgot to post link)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #512 on: March 27, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkMSSxWPrqE

This is the incident in question.  Playoffs of '96, and pretty much what sparked that heated and hateful rivalry for the next decade.  Draper had to have facial reconstruction surgery after this.  I hate seeing hits like this, but god damn, do I miss hockey that was played like it was in the 90's and 00's, and earlier.  Something just doesn't quite feel the same about it now.

[/nostalgia]

(edit - forgot to post link)

That was the low point of what was a pretty brutal series.  There was another play in Game 3  where Adam Foote was lining up to hit Slava Kozlov, and Kozlov swerved out of the way and came around with his left hand and punched Foote's head into the boards.  No call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKusPhRHAM

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: March 27, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »
That Lemieux hit on Draper was one of the dirtiest things during that era.  Dale Hunter on Turgeon was another one.  As for gruesomeness.... Only Kevin Stevens gives me more heebee jeebies than Lemieux/Draper.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:33 PM »
Watching B's-Rags on NBCSN...

Is it me or does Bob Mackenzie look embalmed tonight??

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #515 on: March 27, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
 :lol

Maybe a little bit. He's looking a little bit pale.

Speaking of MacKenzie, he's got an awesome job. He's a hockey insider and gets texts from GMs, Scouts, coaches, etc. Hockey is his life. After free agency in July, he gets a nice summer vacation and works on other things. Hockey, hockey, hockey. He's also a really nice guy. Around Christmas time two years ago, I asked him on Twitter the name of a biography he had read over the summer, (I was looking for a present for my dad). He responded, got in contact with the author, and I got an autographed copy. Really cool
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
hey man, there's no one better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: March 27, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »

Lemiuex deserved what he got, but if you are going to do it, do it face to face, don't blindside the guy. I guess you could argue that one good blindside deserves one in return. Also, I thought Draper should have manned up and did it himself instead of relying on a teammate to get his revenge.  Draper was on their grind line as well, so it is not like he was a skill guy who never got down and dirty. 

That was the low point of what was a pretty brutal series.  There was another play in Game 3  where Adam Foote was lining up to hit Slava Kozlov, and Kozlov swerved out of the way and came around with his left hand and punched Foote's head into the boards.  No call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKusPhRHAM

Yep, very cheap, and it's funny how Red Wings fans never remember that.  They just remember that mean old Claude Lemiuex started it all. :\

That Lemieux hit on Draper was one of the dirtiest things during that era.  Dale Hunter on Turgeon was another one.  As for gruesomeness.... Only Kevin Stevens gives me more heebee jeebies than Lemieux/Draper.

I remember seeing the Dale Hunter one live and being absolutely disgusted. I cannot remember a worse cheap shot in a playoff game.   The McSorley slash of Brashear is the worst in any NHL game since I've been alive.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #518 on: March 27, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »
Bob MacKenzie is one of my favorite hockey guys.  He’s got a good feel for the sport and he does a great job of not making himself a part of the story.  All of the NBC guys should take a few hints from him.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #519 on: March 27, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
Bob MacKenzie is one of my favorite hockey guys.  He’s got a good feel for the sport and he does a great job of not making himself a part of the story.  All of the NBC guys should take a few hints from him.
I like how Bob adjusts to the changes in the game in terms of fan engagement and the focus on speed and skill instead of fighting. He realizes how the Hurricanes' "Storm Surge" is bringing in fans to Canes games and people are getting back into the team. It helps that the team is good again, but people are going because there is character and personality to the gameday experience and the players are having fun too. The fans can feel that. Bob doesn't criticize it and is very supportive of it on Twitter. For some reason, it irritates people like Mike Milbury and Don Cherry. (Who wears the most obnoxious suits and draws attention to himself and making it about him. Meanwhile, the team interacting with their fans are the "bunch of jerks")
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline romdrums

« Reply #520 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:51 AM »
How about the Sabres tanking!  5 standings points since the trade deadline.  Didn't they have the best record in the league in November?  I didn't know Edmonton and Ottawa wanted company in the cellar.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: March 29, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
They look absolutely awful.  Just proves that 10-0 run was a fluke (weren't 7 of them by 1 goal and/or overtime?).  Hutton certainly isn't helping them any.  He looks exactly like why St. Louis bailed on him.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #522 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:46 AM »
Nice win by the Wings last night.  It's good to see the young guys leading the charge over their recent win streak.  Hopefully that momentum carries over into next season.  Sure, it kinda sucks for those of us on team tank, but hey, it's good to see that the winning is being led by the youth rather than the veterans.  Also, it's nice to stick it to the B's.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: April 01, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Seems like most teams are out of gas - only 5 teams in the league with more than 6 wins in their last 10.  Seems like pretty much everyone not named Tampa is playing mediocre.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: April 01, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »
Seems like most teams are out of gas - only 5 teams in the league with more than 6 wins in their last 10.  Seems like pretty much everyone not named Tampa is playing mediocre.

Blues are 6-2 in their last 8. One of those losses was a shootout loss and the other was last Friday against the Rangers where they had 46 shots on goal and the Rangers goalie basically stole the game for them.

These days...especially playoff time....I tend to try and not to get too excited......but it's hard not to when they've been playing this well. Last place in the league on January 1st to now a legit shot at winning the division.

2 pts behind Nashville with a game at hand.
2 pts behind the Jets with same games played (Jets have lost 3 in a row and haven't looked sharp)