Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91574 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. All-Stars !! ?? ??
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »
Friggin' Ducks' goalie was a SIEVE yesterday.  Metro goalies should have shared the MVP.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »
I just posted in the NFL thread, but that was the lamest All Star weekend I think I've ever seen. Other than Marc Andre Fluery, who looks happy to be anywhere, no one looked happy to be there.

They spent so much time on the technology thingy. While the Pro Bowl, which I normally hate, takes you inside the huddle where you can hear the QB's call plays, the NHL shows you a puck trail. BFD!

Also, what's with the name plates floating over the players during the action? That's what numbers are for!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
I think all that stuff was essentially a commercial for some sort of NHL streaming app.  The puck trail was dumb when Fox did it 20 years ago (or whatever it was), and it's dumb now.  The player labels were annoying and got in the way of the action
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
Lol NBC Sports.  The puck/player tracker technology was used on a couple of replays on the CBC broadcast, but largely just talked about vs actually used. 

I'd say most players were having fun - other than those that were in the premier passer competition.  The league has to do something about that one.  Talk about a kill-joy.  Horribly designed event. 

As far as the games go, the Atlantic/Metro game was pretty good - the Metro was the one division that clearly cared about having some defensive zone coverage - hence only giving up 4 and 5 goals.  The Pacific looked god-awful.  CBC had Jack Eichel mic'd up - that dude was hilarious.

Announcer:  "Jack, what's your strategy"
Eichel: "Just not be on for the game-winning goal against"
<next shift... Jack is on when the Metro scores>
Eichel: "There's a minus".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2019, 06:03:55 PM »
Jake Muzzin is a nice pickup for the Leafs. Signed through next year. Gave up a first rounder and prospects. Chad, those kids any good?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
There had been some positive talk about Gunderson, but I'd never heard of the other kid. Bigger thing is if they decide to do anything with Gardiner or Hainsey. I'm not sure who would take/need either of them as rentals, or if the Leafs just do the obvious, and make Ozhiganov their 7th D and put him up in the press box.

I'm kinda jazzed abount getting him - who I would have preferred over Pieterangelo. Though, the Leafs are in need of a RH defence, not another lefty. Zaitsev is their only RH shooter on the blue line.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2019, 05:56:41 AM »
I'm not a huge Pietrangelo guy on his own, but I think he'd be a great fit for the Leafs.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
I have not been interested by the NHL all stars game for over 25 years.  It's a show for kids.  Just got to open the tv as McDavid was up to skate his fastest lap and it was all I needed.  Honestly, I can't argue with the players who do not go to the week-end.  There is no interest of watching a big farce of a hockey game like that.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2019, 08:18:18 PM »
I must say that there is no bigger melodramatic big time flopper than Ben Bishop.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2019, 05:35:10 AM »
My word, the games coming out of the all-star break are sloppy as shit.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
The Ducks gotta fire Carlyle now. 2 wins in their last 17, and two massive losses in a row. Three games in a row that Gibson is a sieve and gets pulled.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2019, 07:52:13 PM »
Yeah, their season has been an absolute f'n disaster.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
So after the Matthews signing, rumor is they want Marner’s contract to be single digit, 8 or 9 per year? That’s ridiculous. I only see stats, but isn’t Marner a better player? No way the Leafs are able to sign him, right jingle?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2019, 01:20:00 PM »
This year, Marner's stats look better, but he's been A) healthy, and B) consistent.  Matthews has had a couple of multi-game slumps, but is still their #1 guy - make no mistake about it.  Marner is a 100% lock to remain a Leaf.  The consensus is they'd LIKE to get him under $10M, but likely won't.  They'll drop Johnson and/or Kapanen before bailing on Marner.

It's kinda like MacKinnon and Rantanen.  Who'd you rather have?  Rantanen is looking better on paper, but overall, MacKinnon is the better/more valuable player. Or draw the comparison to Sid/Geno.  Pick any #1/#2 player combo.  Such is the case for  Matthews/Marner.  As far as 21 year olds go, Matthews is the more valuable asset.  Marner will get paid, don't worry.  It's gonna be tight to get all the pieces they need under the cap, but it's doable.

Bet everything you own that Marner gets a deal from the Leafs before July 1, and stays a Leaf.  The fear around here is that Marner *is* that type of player that can/would get offers from other teams, despite how much extra the price-tag is in compensation to the Leafs.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2019, 11:44:02 PM »
Dubas seems to be able to make magic happen, so I think you're right.
However, apparently Marner's agent is negotiating through the press right now:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mitch-marners-agent-leafs-trying-lowball/

“So far they’ve been trying to lowball (Marner),” agent Darren Ferris told the Toronto Star‘s Dave Feschuk Tuesday. “That’s the reason we’ve come to this point.”

“Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you’re asking (Marner) to take one again? It’s nonsense,” Ferris told the Star. “Mitch already did them a favour on the entry-level deal.”

I realize this probably amounts to nothing, but I think it's weird to do this through the press. Although this is Toronto, so I guess it's not surprising
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2019, 05:29:56 AM »
Well, that quote from Ferris sure makes him seem like a douche.  I saw this quote on nhl.com this morning, regarding when/how Marner signs - virtually no chance it happens during the season.  No biggie... it's just how some players/agents want to role.

"Our thought process has not changed on that," Ferris said in a phone interview Tuesday. "We want Mitch focusing on the season. We don't want any off-ice distractions."

Maple Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas said he remains confident that an agreement can be reached, even if talks are delayed until the spring.

"For us, if they want to talk, we're here," Dubas said. "But we're respecting their wishes. And I would expect everyone else would as well with how they handle Mitch. When they're ready to sit down, we'll talk.

"He's going to be a Toronto Maple Leaf for a long time regardless how we have to come to that. It's no issue at all."

Dubas was certainly trying to plant the seeds that Matthews is more valuable than Marner ... repeated comments of his AAV being what it is because he's a 'goal-scorer', and a 'center'.  Marner is neither of those.  And in reality, goal-scoring centers are more valuable / rare than play-making wingers.  When you look at their total body of work over 2.5 seasons, Matthews has the better stat-sheet on a per game basis (since he's played 30 less games than Marner due to injury).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2019, 05:43:39 AM »
Bet everything you own that Marner gets a deal from the Leafs before July 1, and stays a Leaf.  The fear around here is that Marner *is* that type of player that can/would get offers from other teams, despite how much extra the price-tag is in compensation to the Leafs.

That won't happen.

I will guarantee that if the Leafs go $10+mil for Marner, they will never win a Cup. They'll be the Blackhawks but without the Championships.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:05 AM »
So after the Matthews signing, …...

So I guess I was out of the loop on this yesterday. This was a done deal?

Yikes! That is a huge f'n contract. That's an over pay, as it was for Nylander. Who's doing their contracts? Peter Chiarelli? No wonder Marner's agent is acting the way he is. He's probably thinking that he's willing to accept that he (Marner) is a $1M a year less player than Matthews, but no way is he a $2M a year player less.

I like Marner. Love him, actually, but he is way overvaluing himself. But hey, if the Leafs are handing these contracts out like candy, why not go for it?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2019, 06:03:24 AM »
Gritty like young Hart and the streaking Flyers

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2019, 06:04:25 AM »
That kid has been fantastic!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2019, 06:15:40 AM »
You may be right Tim, but it's the new way of handing out contracts - pay for future performance, not past.  Lucic was also a disaster of a contract (speaking of Chiarelli), but that was paying based on past performance.  Look at all the young RFA's that are killing it - Point, Rantanen others... They'll all get high single-digit AAVs.  Teams aren't waiting for the timeframe where they have to pay out once these players are in their UFA years.  The tide is changing.

And given a new CBA is coming, it's a reasonable expectation that the cap could get up towards the $100M mark in the coming years - so betting on these Tier 1 players to continue their performance and locking them down now is likely to be the rule, not the exception.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2019, 06:25:23 AM »
but it's the new way of handing out contracts - pay for future performance, not past. 

Oh, I know that. I don't mind it really. Pay your best players in their prime. No issue with that.

Dumb question, and I should know this, but what does classifying $50+M as a "Signing Bonus" mean? How does that benefit the team?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »
I'm not totally sure, but I suspect that actual cash flow vs AAV plays a part.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »
The other night, Tuukka Rask became the Bruins ALL TIME winningest goalie. Think about that.

Thanks Toronto! ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
The other night, Tuukka Rask became the Bruins ALL TIME winningest goalie. Think about that.

Thanks Toronto! ;D

You're welcome!  And I just heard the other night that (didn't know this), the Leafs are still carrying $1.3M of Kessel's cap hit :zeltar:

And Ovi passed Federov last night as well.

Further clarity on yesterday's comments from Marner's agent:

According to The Toronto Star's Dave Feschuk, comments made by Mitch Marner's agent Darren Ferris regarding the Maple Leaf winger’s contract negotiations in his column from Tuesday were intended to refer to events from the summer.

“So far they’ve been trying to lowball (Marner),” Ferris told Feschuk in the Star column, published hours after Matthews signed a five-year contract extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs. “That’s the reason we’ve come to this point.”

Ferris clarified those comments on TSN Radio 1050 on Wednesday morning, explaining that the quotes were "taken out of context from the summer."

"Unfortunate that the article had to come out yesterday,” he added.

Ferris reiterated that Marner still plans to wait until after the season to work on an extension, but the two sides made progress on a deal before the season started and that there is no animosity between the two side in neogitations. “We’re not far off. We last ended on a positive note," he told TSN Radio 1050 Toronto.

Feschuk then tweeted after the TSN 1050 interview that the quotes were from Tuesday and that he just spoke to Ferris, who acknowledged he meant to say they 'referred to' events from the summer.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »
Signing bonuses as opposed to salary is strictly cash flow for the owner. They changed the cap hit rules in the last CBA to eliminate cap circumventing by front loading a contract, so now it's average annual cap hit regardless of salary. Basically,  it creates a competitive advantage for teams with exceptionally wealthy ownership since they can entice players with massive cash up front.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:43 PM »
Most importantly signing bonuses payout even if there is a lockout.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #342 on: February 07, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
That,  i did not know. I imagine that was a big factor in the negotiations between the Leafs and Matthews' agent since all signs are pointing to another lockout in 2020

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
That,  i did not know. I imagine that was a big factor in the negotiations between the Leafs and Matthews' agent since all signs are pointing to another lockout in 2020

I don't see that happening.  Both the league/owners and players are getting paid.  Would not be a good idea for either of them to have a work stoppage.  Back in 2004, salaries were spiralling out of control.  Things have been comfortably stable for 15 years now, I can't see either playing too much hard-ball.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2019, 07:04:01 PM »

I don't see that happening.  Both the league/owners and players are getting paid.  Would not be a good idea for either of them to have a work stoppage.  Back in 2004, salaries were spiralling out of control.  Things have been comfortably stable for 15 years now, I can't see either playing too much hard-ball.
I'd say there's already some punches being thrown with the league canceling the world cup next year. And I'm pretty sure salaries are at an all time high (although so is revenue). The cap has nearly doubled since the 04-05 lockout,  and, once again,  the Canadian dollar is nowhere near the US dollar making it more difficult for the Canadian markets. Call me pessimistic,  but these are the exact same conditions that led to a lost season in 05.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
And yet 5 of 7 Canadian teams are in line for the the playoffs; 2 are leading their division, and 3 of the top 4 in the league overall.

I don't see any stoppage in the horizon. The cap increases a direct result of higher revenues. That was NOT the case in '04.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
The Blues have been on a roll and are now in the last playoff spot in the West, with games in hand on every team in the West still.  Just setting us up for the big letdown! :facepalm: :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
The Blues have been on a roll and are now in the last playoff spot in the West, with games in hand on every team in the West still.  Just setting us up for the big letdown! :facepalm: :lol

:metal   They’re playing well. Have been since mid December. I’ll take getting hot and closing the season well over last year when we started off on fire but then fizzled out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #348 on: February 08, 2019, 12:27:18 AM »
Yeah, what a difference a month makes for the Western Conference! The Ducks and Avalanche are crumbling at an astonishing rate, the Wild no longer appear inevitable, and the two Central Division teams that spent the first half of the season in the basement of the standings--the Blues and Blackhawks--are now on fire. There are so many teams separated by only a few points and so it will be really exciting to see who eventually gets those wildcard spots. Up until a couple weeks ago, it had been such a dismal season for Blues fans and so it feels great to celebrate again, largely thanks to a rookie goalie determined to make a good first impression.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: February 08, 2019, 04:24:04 AM »
Yeah, the west has been all over the map with ups and downs.  And despite the Flyers' loss the other night, they're the hottest team in the league right now - though still a long way from a playoff spot.