Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91427 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. All-Stars !! ?? ??
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
@ Gary... it's absolutely incredulous that the Ducks are -23 on GF/GA and have the 8th wildcard spot at the moment.  You guys are -19, and in last place :omg:.  I guess it doesn't matter if you lose by a goal, or lose by 5... a loss is a loss.

The Blues are 9 pts out of a Wild Card slot right now with (4) games at hand on the Ducks and (3) games on most others (save the Wild only 1) that are in front of them. It's not 'impossible' to make some noise...put together a run and get right back in it. But they lose two games at home to both NY teams that they 'should' have won. Played good hockey yet still found a way to lose. Like I said....they haven't won 3 games in a row this season!!! Gimme a break...really? It's maddening yet at the same time I find myself not even giving a  :censored at this point. I'm more curious to see who gets traded. Because we need to.

I'd ship Petrangelo and Tarasenko both. We aren't going to give Petro the $8+ million a year he'll want after his contract expires next season...so I'd send him packing. Issue is he has a full no trade clause. But rumor is that he'd take a trade to Toronto in a heartbeat.

Tarasenko ***snip*** killing me.

Dude is a shell of the player he was just three years ago. He's missing shots that he has historically buried. He was alone 7 foot in front of the goalie last game against the Islanders with us down by (1) goal with 7 or 8 minutes to play and he just shot the puck center mass into the goalies chest. There was a time where he'd have picked any corner and put that puck where no goalie could save it.

I'd trade him as well while we can. His no trace clause kicks in after this season. He's rumored to be an issue in the locker room and on the team in general due to his practice regiment (non existent) so I'd see what I could get for him and call it even. He's been trending down the past few seasons anyway. I don't see him ever being 'elite'....if he was going to be he'd have already been there. He's been good and above average but he's not next level...probably never will be.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
The thing is the Flyers have a team that *could* be killer this year, but pretty much everything that could be wrong is.

Sounds eerily familiar to the Blues. Could easily be in the top ten teams in the league with the talent they have on this team. Just nothing has worked for them this season.

Started off scoring gobs of goals but were letting in gobs at the same time. Then, when our goaltending shaped up....we couldn't score. Power Play hot? Well then our PK sucked. We've not had all our game working at the same time this season at all. Couple that with the rumored locker room beefs and it's just a bunch of guys who are skilled out there playing hockey rather than a 'true' team out there playing for one another and making the sacrifices necessary. Independent contractors....that's what we have. Not a 'team'.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
@ Gary... it's absolutely incredulous that the Ducks are -23 on GF/GA and have the 8th wildcard spot at the moment.  You guys are -19, and in last place :omg:.  I guess it doesn't matter if you lose by a goal, or lose by 5... a loss is a loss.

Here is the thing, the longer the season goes on the more those types of stats catch up on you, as it's one I always follow. Look at the end of season stats almost any year and you'll see a pretty clear trend top to bottom with goal differential usually going greatest to least with a small exception or two.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2019, 12:29:17 PM »
The thing is the Flyers have a team that *could* be killer this year, but pretty much everything that could be wrong is.

Sounds eerily familiar to the Blues. Could easily be in the top ten teams in the league with the talent they have on this team. Just nothing has worked for them this season.

Started off scoring gobs of goals but were letting in gobs at the same time. Then, when our goaltending shaped up....we couldn't score. Power Play hot? Well then our PK sucked. We've not had all our game working at the same time this season at all. Couple that with the rumored locker room beefs and it's just a bunch of guys who are skilled out there playing hockey rather than a 'true' team out there playing for one another and making the sacrifices necessary. Independent contractors....that's what we have. Not a 'team'.

Plus, an 'interim' head coach.  Just bring back JQ already.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »
It's official, Gary and Kev can stop their bitching, Flyers have under-competed them for the shittier team!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »
Hey now, I don't bitch.  At least relative to my fellow St. Louisan. :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »
It's official, Gary and Kev can stop their bitching, Flyers have under-competed them for the shittier team!

I thought it was quite ironic that the day I lay into Tarasenko he finally scores a goal after 13 games  :lol   And of course Binnington would get a shut out....

Hey now, I don't bitch.  At least relative to my fellow St. Louisan. :P

I'm WAY more subdued than I used to be

Offline pg1067

« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »

My Kings and the Senators scoff at your comment!  The following teams have earned less than one point per game this season:

The Blues have 38 points in 40 games (.950 PPG)
The Coyotes have 39 points in 42 games (.929 PPG)
The Red Wings have 39 points in 44 games (.886 PPG)
The Blackhawks have 39 points in 45 games (.867 PPG)
The Flyers have 36 points in 42 games (.857 PPG)
The Kings have 37 points in 44 games (.841 PPG)
The Senators have 35 points in 43 games (.814 PPG)

Hard to believe a team is sucking worse than the Kings right now, but there it is.  The Blues are flying high by comparison.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #288 on: January 09, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »

My Kings and the Senators scoff at your comment!  The following teams have earned less than one point per game this season:

The Blues have 38 points in 40 games (.950 PPG)
The Coyotes have 39 points in 42 games (.929 PPG)
The Red Wings have 39 points in 44 games (.886 PPG)
The Blackhawks have 39 points in 45 games (.867 PPG)
The Flyers have 36 points in 42 games (.857 PPG)
The Kings have 37 points in 44 games (.841 PPG)
The Senators have 35 points in 43 games (.814 PPG)

Hard to believe a team is sucking worse than the Kings right now, but there it is.  The Blues are flying high by comparison.

Red Wings need to step it up in the Lose for Hughes campaign.  Given their recent play, I think they're ready to make their move.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »
King/TAC... it's on.

Hopefully Andersen is back between the pipes.  TBD after the morning skate.  You guys look to be back to almost full health, so it ought to be a good one tonight.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:18 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
Dayum.  I'm very worried for this team.  They rarely have looked like (up until this week) the 2nd best team in the NHL.  Anderson's injury just proves how valuable he is to this team.  I've got a feeling they'll finish 3rd again in the Atlantic, and will have another case of the yips with Boston.

Great game... and a great win by the Bs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2019, 06:33:58 AM »
Man Tampa looks un-fucking-stoppable.  Injuries don't phase them at all... Losing Vasilevsky for 14 games, and they go 12-2; Miller/Callahan out for a bit?  No problem.

And the Pacific is lighting it up too - Shark and Golden Knights on a tear too.

On the other hand, Anaheim and Colorado are in freefall mode.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:38 PM »
Freakin' Kings look like garbage against Ottawa and then come out and spank the Penguins.  Granted it was a back-to-back for the Pens, but still....  Kings are making me wish football season were longer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2019, 05:24:10 AM »
Last nights win against the Bolts should dispel any question that Andersen is the MVP for the Leafs.  Holy crap the saves he made in the 3rd!  At least 8-10 beautifully setup 1-times for Stamkos (who had 18 shots directed at the net; 10 official SOG!) or Kuch, along with a number of high traffic slappers by Hedman.  After the steaming turd that was the 6-3 loss to the Avs, the Leafs responded magnificently.  Hope they don't fall flat against the Panthers tonight - it would be cool to see them become the 3rd Canadian (and 4th overall) team to get to 30 wins.

The Atlantic is heating up.  A Toronto-Montreal first round matchup is not out of the question - Habs only 2 points behind the Bruins.  Buffalo is only a few back for the last wildcard spot.  Who had either of those their radar when the season started!?!?

Gary... why couldn't the Blues hold it together and whoop the Bruins last night?  It'll be interesting to see if you guys can string a few together, and make a run for a wildcard spot ... or seeing how soft the Central has been, maybe even the #3 spot.  Maybe the Blues won't be 'sellers' over the next month.  Ott-LA-Ana over the next week.  Would love to see you guys go 3-0 there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:02 PM »
So I'm watching Barry Melrose (for the first time) on the NHL network tonight.

Is he OK?

I mean, I'm surprised to see he is 62, but he's coming off as drunk. All red faced and slurring his speech. Maybe that's how he talks. I honestly havent seen him on TV in a long time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2019, 05:23:44 AM »
Hope they don't fall flat against the Panthers tonight - it would be cool to see them become the 3rd Canadian (and 4th overall) team to get to 30 wins.

Or... they could just drop another steaming turd against a team that hasn't won in 7, and a goalie that hasn't won in 6.  I guess the Leafs are now the cure that ails a struggling team.

Everyone who had the Islanders leading the Metropolitan at anytime other than the first 2 games in the season, raise your hand.

That's what I figured.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #298 on: January 19, 2019, 07:40:45 AM »
Jingle,  is Nylander getting absolutely skewered in there TO media right now? I just realized he has 3 pts in 18 games coming out of a contract holdout, which doesn't seem like it would sit well with Leafs fans.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
Yup. Fans and media think the next step is for him to be a healthy scratch. I fucking hated the deal from the outset, and thought Dubas should let the little brat sit for a year. I predicted he wouldn't even get 40 points when he was signed ... now he's looking like he might not even get 20 points.  He isn't producing points, and has been a defensive liability.

Meanwhile, the deal means the Leafs likely won't be able to keep both Kapanen and Johnson, which pisses me off - they're proving to be more complete players than Nylander, and it's not like the Leafs need Nylander's offence - even when he is producing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »
I actually think Kapanen is better.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
He certainly has been this year. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
I didn't think the Nylander deal was that bad if he could put up 60-70 points per season, which should have been quite attainable. He's almost like the Leafs version of Lucic...except he's not out of shape and a slow as fuck skater, of course.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
Back when the deal was signed, I said this had all the potential to be a Lucic-bad deal in the long term.

I'll tell you this, his shit-ass performance is surely pissing off a lot of young RFA's - guys like Rantanen, Point, Marner, Laine, Tkachuk, Boeser, Aho, Connor ... All guys having great seasons, but their holdout leverage has to be weakened the longer Nylander looks like shit. Just goes to show that a 2 month holdout is a major performance risk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2019, 06:25:18 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't trade him tbh, but I guess that shows what the rest of the league thought about him. I visit the TSN website daily, and I don't remember any pressure the Leafs were under.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2019, 07:14:35 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't trade him tbh, but I guess that shows what the rest of the league thought about him. I visit the TSN website daily, and I don't remember any pressure the Leafs were under.

Leafs were humming along.  On Dec 1st, after signing Willie and the win against the Wild, they were 19-8; since then, 10-8-2 - .700 winning percentage to .500.  Granted, Andersen was out for 6 games.  The general consensus was that he would improve the team.  It's been the exact opposite in every way.  That isn't entirely on Nylander, but it is what it is.  I think everyone thought he'd need 8-10 games or the month of December to get into a groove.  Clearly, training camp and actual playing time critircal is for a young player.  I believe this season is gonna be a wash for him... 25 points at best ... and he'll return to his 60-point form next year.  I don't think he'll be anything more than a 60-70 point guy though, and the Leafs are gonna be stuck over-paying him for the next 6 years.  I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

Sad news is, Johnsson and some other young talent are gonna have to be traded to get the upgrade on defense the team desperately needs.  Word is that Kapanen isn't a trade option, despite some GMs asking for him.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:23:27 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:16 AM »
Peter Chiarelli fired. Wow, he fucked up the Oilers big time. Did the Oilers not talk to anyone in Boston before hiring him?
Handing out ridiculous contracts....Saw this coming 3000 miles away.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2019, 07:09:23 AM »
Peter Chiarelli fired. Wow, he fucked up the Oilers big time. Did the Oilers not talk to anyone in Boston before hiring him?

Shoulda happened a long time ago.  How does a franchise get 3 CONSECUTIVE #1 picks, 4 in six years - WITH ONE OF THEM BEING CONNOR FUCKING MCDAVID - and the team still sucks ass!?!?!?  The legacy of Taylor Hall... essentially he was given away for waivers.  A #1 draft pick for waivers .... THAT NO OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE CLAIMED!

Nylander has his best game of the season (looking like the 'old' Nylander), and now the team is off for 8 days.  :lolpalm:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2019, 11:16:43 AM »

Shoulda happened a long time ago.  How does a franchise get 3 CONSECUTIVE #1 picks, 4 in six years - WITH ONE OF THEM BEING CONNOR FUCKING MCDAVID - and the team still sucks ass!?!?!?  The legacy of Taylor Hall... essentially he was given away for waivers.  A #1 draft pick for waivers .... THAT NO OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE CLAIMED!

Nylander has his best game of the season (looking like the 'old' Nylander), and now the team is off for 8 days.  :lolpalm:
Yakupov was given away for waivers. Hall at least returned Larsson, who is desperately needed on this roster. The issue on the Hall trade is that it should have been Larsson+picks or players. No way those players are equal.

Eberle was given away for nothing,  especially when you consider they've already moved on from the return piece (Strome).

Lucic's contract is a fucking 2 tonne boat anchor for another 4 years after this season.  That's going to be Shotgun Pete's legacy here in edmonton.

What i want to know is why the hell Katz (owner) or Nicholson (president of Oilers entertainment) let the idiot sign Koskinen to a multi year deal worth nearly double his current salary if the planwas to fire him anyway.  Or maybe that was just the last straw since Koskinen put up a .889 save pct the very first game after the signing.

Sigh.... it's going to be another long stretch run and off season

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
Yakupov was given away for waivers. Hall at least returned Larsson, who is desperately needed on this roster. The issue on the Hall trade is that it should have been Larsson+picks or players. No way those players are equal.

Eberle was given away for nothing,  especially when you consider they've already moved on from the return piece (Strome).

Lucic's contract is a fucking 2 tonne boat anchor for another 4 years after this season.  That's going to be Shotgun Pete's legacy here in edmonton.

What i want to know is why the hell Katz (owner) or Nicholson (president of Oilers entertainment) let the idiot sign Koskinen to a multi year deal worth nearly double his current salary if the planwas to fire him anyway.  Or maybe that was just the last straw since Koskinen put up a .889 save pct the very first game after the signing.

Sigh.... it's going to be another long stretch run and off season

Oh yeah... right - I was mixing up that it was the Eberle deal that landed you guys with Strome, and ultimately Spooner who cleared waivers last week!  Eberle for a player that NONE of the 31 teams in the league seem to want - including the Oil :lol. The Koskinen contract was another head scratcher. You guys (or I guess it was just Pistol Pete) seem to commit to these goalies who demonstrate some flashes of brilliance, and assume that is the norm rather than exception.  Talbot?  Koskinen?  Neither of them can carry a 60+ game load.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »
To be fair, I believe both Talbot and Koskinen could be #1 goalies, the problem with the Oilers is they have no semblance of defense on the team. When you can't defend I don't see the point in paying a goalie that much when it should be a priority to use that money to fill out the glaring holes throughout the roster.

That being said, the signing still doesn't make sense. Why give Chiarelli the OK to sign him if you were even thinking of firing him? Why sign him right now for that price, when waiting to the end of the year is either going to save you money or you sign him for the same amount with a little more added confidence after seeing him play 25 more times?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2019, 06:56:58 PM »
To be fair, I believe both Talbot and Koskinen could be #1 goalies, the problem with the Oilers is they have no semblance of defense on the team. When you can't defend I don't see the point in paying a goalie that much when it should be a priority to use that money to fill out the glaring holes throughout the roster.

That being said, the signing still doesn't make sense. Why give Chiarelli the OK to sign him if you were even thinking of firing him? Why sign him right now for that price, when waiting to the end of the year is either going to save you money or you sign him for the same amount with a little more added confidence after seeing him play 25 more times?

In the press conference Nicholson said the Koskinen signing was an organizational decision, but maybe that was him trying to save face. It was one of the first questions asked by the media lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
So ... Nate MacKinnon is too injured to do the fastest skate, and is being replaced with Kendall Coyne, U.S. Women's National Team.

This is fucking awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »
So ... Nate MacKinnon is too injured to do the fastest skate, and is being replaced with Kendall Coyne, U.S. Women's National Team.

This is fucking awesome.

Rumor has it that Peter Chiarelli was about to sign her to a 7 year $80 mil contract.

Edit: Damn, she can fly!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:47:21 PM by TAC »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2019, 05:31:36 AM »

This is fucking awesome.

Rumor has it that Peter Chiarelli was about to sign her to a 7 year $80 mil contract.

Edit: Damn, she can fly!

Sportsnet up here flashed a stat that her time was faster than 4 previous fastest skater winners, including Peter Bondra ... who I remember was a fast mofo.