Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91473 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Seattle makes it 32
« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
Did the owner approve it? The whole article is so weird, especially coming off of a shutout against the Predators. Couldn't they have waited until a losing streak? I don't know if the best way to light a fire under someone is to call an on-record meeting with journalists and call your star players "fucking horse shit" although quite frankly with the money these guys make, they should always be bringing their A-game. But players have off years and Dallas isn't really that bad, it just seems so weird. We'll see what happens...

Maybe the Wild should try doing something like that too. Call out Parise and Suter and many others...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:26:41 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
Wow! Stars CEO with owner's approval goes nuclear on Seguin and Benn.

Yeah... that was something else.  And after a WIN.  It's not like this was an 'UBER' moment caught unsuspectingly.... it was a fucking interview.

All Star selection in the Atlantic is gonna be tough on the Leafs/Lightning.  There are 4 spots for the following players:  Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Vasilevsky, Tavares, Marner, Reilly, Anderson.  And that assumes that Buffalo/Boston will only be sending 1 player each - which means Marchand and/or Pastranak won't be going (Boston's pick could be Halak); and one of Eichel/Skinner won't be going.

I'll bet both the Leafs/Lightning send the extra 3 spots, and it'll be Point, Marner and Reilly.

Tampa - Vasilevsky*, Kucherov, Point*
Toronto - Andersen*, Marner*, Reilly, Matthews
Buffalo - Eichel (maybe Skinner)
Montreal - Domi
Boston - Halak
Florida - Barkov
Detroit - Green
Ottawa - Chabot

* - one of Vasilevsky/Andersen; Point/Marner
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2018, 07:58:05 PM »
Anyone else watching the Juniors Tournament?

Holy crap, this is some amazing hockey. These kids are incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #248 on: December 31, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »

I watched the Can v. Rus game tonight,  but i haven't been very interested in this tournament for the last few years.  Not sure why,  since i used to follow very closely. Tonight's game,  despite the result,  was pretty damn good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2018, 09:29:30 PM »
Last night's OT between the US and Sweden was ridiculous. Some of the best hockey and skating I've ever seen.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »
Went to the Devils matinee game today because by waiting until 1/2 an hour before gametime I was able to snag a seat 15 rows off the ice for $33. Third straight win coming out of the Christmas break, all without Taylor Hall. A lot of the contributions have been coming from the younger players we were counting on to take a step forward this season, which hopefully bodes well for the rest of the year. And then what else can I say about Mackenzie Blackwood at this point. He's been lights out since he came up from the AHL, going 3-1 in four starts (even looking sharp in his one loss) and with an overall save % of about .963 if you include his two relief appearances.

We also got a contender for what I'm calling the "Die in a Fire" award (the trophy is known as "The Marchand") as after the game was out of hand Antoine Roussel decided to start bouncing Damon Severson's head off the ice

https://twitter.com/RTaub_/status/1079832651215847430

Dude already has a max fine this season for biting someone :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2019, 05:11:08 AM »

I usually do catch some of the games, but haven't had the time to.  Now that we're in to the medal rounds, I'll try to make it happen.  Thing is, mrs.jingle is not a sports person ... AT.  ALL.   >:(
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: January 01, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »

I usually do catch some of the games, but haven't had the time to.  Now that we're in to the medal rounds, I'll try to make it happen.  Thing is, mrs.jingle is not a sports person ... AT.  ALL.   >:(

My wife is the exact opposite. She loves sports but does not understand my obsession with music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: January 01, 2019, 06:43:12 PM »
I see that this feature is almost a year old, but I just watched it on YouTube last night. It's a Sportsnet story on Kevin Stevens. It's gripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bId96qoM9M

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:01 PM »
I see that this feature is almost a year old, but I just watched it on YouTube last night. It's a Sportsnet story on Kevin Stevens. It's gripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bId96qoM9M

Thanks Tim... can't wait to watch this.  Stevens/Recchi/LeClair was a killer line behind the awesomeness of Lemieux/Jagr.  I remember that game/hit.  Second most horrific thing I remember from those days (Clint Malarchuk being #1).  I was too young to remember Salming's.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
Just watched that.  Man, what a rough road he had. 

When that was done, there was a 1/2 segment on Kariya as a recommendation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l31TA0MLA.  Man that guy was fun to watch.  Too bad his injuries derailed him.  The Stevens hit is the one usually referenced, but that cross-check that Suter gave him (they show it twice in this segment) I think was the one that really started his head injury issues - not to mention a lot of other injury problems that plagued his career.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. All-Stars !! ?? ??
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2019, 07:19:05 AM »
IMO, those are some fucked up All-star inclusions / exclusions - especially from the Atlantic. 

Domi - not in; Point/Marner - not in; Reilly - not in.

Jimmy Howard, Carey Price, Stamkos are in ??  I'm sorry, but none of them are having All-Star years.  And I get that it's in SJ, but Karlsson and Pavelski are also NOT having All-Star seasons so far.  Favoring them over the likes of Draisaitl or Lindholm, and Giordano is insulting.

Some of them still have a chance to make it on the 'last man' votes, but they should've been selected outright.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
Welp... Andersen just placed on IR, and Sparks is undergoing concussion protocol.  Leafs goaltending situation ain't so hot.  Time to see if the team can step it up defensively.  This might actually be a good thing - force them not to rely on Andersen to bail out their defensive deficiencies.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
Pretty excited to see St. Louis get the All Star game in 2020.....and, it coincides with my birthday so I'm thinking what better gift, right?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:29 PM »
Pretty excited to see St. Louis get the All Star game in 2020.....and, it coincides with my birthday so I'm thinking what better gift, right?

I would think a better gift would be a more competitive team lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2019, 02:51:33 PM »

Though... Gary's probably thinking about a realistic and attainable gift.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »

I went to the 1996 All Star Game in Boston and the night before for the Skills Event.  It was fun.  Ray Bourque scored the game winner and the place went nuts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2019, 07:52:02 PM »

I would think a better gift would be a more competitive team lol

I gave up on that. At least I know for sure the All Star game will be here. Although, being the NHL stole Scott Stevens from us and gifted him to the Devils.....I wouldn’t be surprised if they move it to Dallas or something two weeks before the game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2019, 08:30:32 PM »
At least I know for sure the All Star game will be here. Although, being the NHL stole Scott Stevens from us and gifted him to the Devils.....I wouldn’t be surprised if they move it to Dallas or something two weeks before the game.

:lol

You're not wrong (about the bolded part).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
Few things in sports have ever left me as bitter as having Scott Stevens ripped away from us did.  That bitterness took decades to dissipate, probably because he was like the first in a long run of ex-Blues that won a Cup elsewhere once I reached adulthood and took wins and losses more to heart. 

Fortunately, I have reached the point where I only expect the Blues to let me down now, so the losses I take in stride and the wins I enjoy more because they seem so unexpected.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
My god, the Kings suck.

And that sucks....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
My god, the Kings suck.

And that sucks....

Well to be fair, it was Tampa - they are 12 points ahead of the next best teams in the league.

And wow... Vegas is coming back from the dead.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
My god, the Kings suck.

And that sucks....

Well to be fair, it was Tampa - they are 12 points ahead of the next best teams in the league.

If only it were just the Tampa game....

Last night was the Kings' 42nd game of the season and they have 35 points.  On a pace for 68 points, which would be the team's worst finish since 2006-07.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2019, 12:16:44 PM »
You and Gary/Kev can fight it out for the best odds to win the lottery pick.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
Voted for the All Star Last Men In:

Bergeron
Backstrom
Laine
Giordano

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2019, 08:05:18 PM »
Voted for the All Star Last Men In:

Bergeron
Backstrom
Laine
Giordano

Well, you got 1 (maybe 2) out of 4 right  :biggrin:.  Not sure how one can give the nod to Laine over Landeskog - the latter is 1 more goal, 16 more assists, and is + 30 higher (+19 vs -11 for Laine).  Seems like a no brainer to me.  Bergeron... out 14 games and still an all-star?  Matthews wouldn't be an all-star if he hadn't been voted in.  Backstrom - well, it was a toss-up between him and Letang, and I went Kris.  Giordano is the obvious choice for the Pacific.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
  Bergeron... out 14 games and still an all-star? 

You don't hockey do you?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
  Bergeron... out 14 games and still an all-star? 

You don't hockey do you?

I do.  I also know a homer pick when I see one.

That said, I voted Reilly!   :lol  Now, he is #2 in +/-, and #2 in points by defensemen (leading in goals).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
You and Gary/Kev can fight it out for the best odds to win the lottery pick.

Hey now. Tonight the Flyers play the Blues for the rights to determine who gets to fight with the Kings for those odds.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2019, 09:45:48 AM »
Hey now. Tonight the Flyers play the Blues for the rights to determine who gets to fight with the Kings for those odds.

It's still shocking to me just how bad the Blues are. They haven't won three games in a row all year. Just when they look like they could put together a good streak.....they play like a$$ again for a few games. Zero consistency, no heart or drive.....it's pretty bad.

You'll be facing our back up goal keeper Binnington, who is pretty good. Or I should say....has promise. That is the only thing that will keep me interested in the game tonight is to see how he looks. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »

It's still shocking to me just how bad the Blues are. They haven't won three games in a row all year. Just when they look like they could put together a good streak.....they play like a$$ again for a few games. Zero consistency, no heart or drive.....it's pretty bad.

You'll be facing our back up goal keeper Binnington, who is pretty good. Or I should say....has promise. That is the only thing that will keep me interested in the game tonight is to see how he looks. 

You'll be facing one of the seven goalies we've had dressed this season.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2019, 09:55:28 AM »
You'll be facing one of the seven goalies we've had dressed this season.

:lol    Not laughing at you.....laughing with you. The good thing about being SO bad this year is my blood pressure has been great. I have zero expectations when watching a game.....in fact, I like watching how the Blues can find new creative ways to lose a game. So...I'm much more tolerable to be around. Just ask my wife. She's loving the Blues sucking so bad this year.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
As opposed to me - I lose my shit when the Leafs under-play.  It's rewarding and frustrating at the same time to have a team that legitimately can/could win every game - I obviously don't mean that literally... they're not gonna go 41-0 to finish the season  :lol.  But when they play like turds in a 4-0 loss to NYI; or don't show up until 10 minutes left in the 3rd to force OT against Detroit ... well, it's maddening.  It's a good thing they're talented as shit across the board, because there are a LOT of games that they should have lost where Andersen and/or some offensive heroics have salvaged a victory.

@ Gary... it's absolutely incredulous that the Ducks are -23 on GF/GA and have the 8th wildcard spot at the moment.  You guys are -19, and in last place :omg:.  I guess it doesn't matter if you lose by a goal, or lose by 5... a loss is a loss.

@ Nick... that's some tough goaltending issues you guys have had.  Doesn't help that your offense stinks too! 

Fuck me sideways, I took a flyer on both those teams in my pool... taking Tarasenko and Ghost.  Those two guys are killing me.  It was a box selection pool (19 categories with 5 players per category).  Tarasenko was in the same group as Marner/Point :zeltar: ; Ghost was in the A-list defense box with Burns/Karlsson/Carlson/Headmen.  If I take Marner and Burns, I'm leading the pool.   >:(  Instead, I'm in 19th (of 141).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »
I've barely even watched the Blues in the last month or so.  I am not fan of torturing myself, which is also why I never listen to Kiss or Nickelback.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »
The thing is the Flyers have a team that *could* be killer this year, but pretty much everything that could be wrong is.

Goalies are the obvious start. Elliot was the one consistently decent goaltender and he's spent most of the year injured. Hart is unproven and has had great game and shaky games, and just no way you can depend on him to carry a team yet. So when Elliot is out I do feel from the psychological aspect of the game players are shaky constantly wondering if anything matter since their goalie will never bail them out or make those big saves that win games.

Building out from there both are big defensive names have had major setbacks this year. If Provorov and Ghost play as good or better as last season and thus take the pressure from everyone below them this entire season looks different. At this point I just hope they get back on track for the future. We still do have one killer defensive prospect that can hopefully help out going forward as well.

Offensively if you're not Claude Giroux you're a disappointment in some way. Simmonds doesn't have the grit of previous seasons and is down a peg in speed. He and Voracek both have defensive issues. JVR started the year injured and is only now finding his game again. Coots is a good solid TWF but not the powerhouse he was last season. Nolan Patrick isn't doing what you expect from a #2 pick at this point and Konecny is having scoring issues. Dale Weiss still makes our lineup. The other younger forwards can sometimes be good, but are rarely pushing the team ahead. At one point or another Weal, Laughton, Raffl, and Lindblom have all shown signs of something better at points in their career but none can seem to elevate right now. One of the better forwards has been recent call up Varone.

All that said I have always said and will always say Claude Giroux is THE most underrated player in the league. Every year there are hot hands that garner more attention than him, but over the course of the past 10 years there has not been a more consistent point producer in the league except Crosby, who is much more injury prone, and Giroux has constantly elevated the play of those on the ice with him.

IF either Hart starts dominating the NHL like he did in juniors, or Elliot comes back in great shape, AND some of the things listed above turn around I can certainly see this team doing MUCH better in the 2nd half, but likely too little too late for the playoffs.