Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91498 times)

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
There's no way the Leafs don't end up in cap trouble,  unless they can find some serious value contracts.  I don't even think the Nylander deal is that bad if he puts up similar, consistent numbers. They have a problem, albeit a good one,  in that they have some serious talent in their top 6. They'll have 3 $10M+ contracts up front,  plus Nylander, plus 19 other players.  And Matthews is going to be more like $12. A third or more of the cap will be Tavares,  Matthews  and Marner, so there's definitely going to be issues. Although, Chicago was in a similar situation in 2010-201, and they managed to make some bold moves and win two more cups, so it's definitely possible.

On a related note,  it burns me to my very core that the Leafs are this good.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Couple of things in their favour - Marleau frees up $6.25 after next year ... there's a small possibility they could unload that to a team that has cap space, since it's actually only 4.25M payment next year - for a 40 year old that could still be a Top 6 well-rounded player on a lot of teams.  You wouldn't get much in return other than freeing up cap space.

Hainsey/Gardiner are $7M combined.  Their talent can be replaced for cheaper - Dermott is looking REAL good, and could easily be the #2 or #3 D-man.

The cap will invariably go up a little, and then quite a bit more after this CBA.  It's not implausible that Marner or Matthews sign a bridge deal, looking to cash in even bigger in 2021.

I think the management has a plan for all of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Thanks for responding jingle and clearing that up. It makes more sense.

I was doing more research on the subject this morning and this article popped up later in the afternoon. It does a good job at looking at a future lineup that revolves around this cap, although I view Matthews asking for McDavid money and Marner wanting Tavares money, but we'll see. Dubas is a smart guy.
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/12/02/re-signing-william-nylander-brings-new-questions-for-toronto-maple-leafs/
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a good article.  I didn't mention it in earlier posts, but the Zaitsev contract is killing them too.  He's a #4 d-man at best, making #1-#2 money.  Why Lou thought he had to get locked in to a 6-year deal after just one good World Cup tourney is baffling.  I don't know that they'll pay Matthews more than Tavares, and Marner getting up to $10M might be a stretch.  Seeing as how Nylander wanted $8M-ish and came in at under $7M, in his own mind he's taking a pay cut to stay with the Leafs.  The prevailing belief is that Matthews and Marner will too.  The prevailing belief is also that the league and PA are still operating under the premise that the 27/28 year old timeframe is when players cash in big.  Exceptions for the likes of McDavid of course. 

If they keep Matthews under Tavares, and Marner under $10M, it allows them to get better (or at least stay neutral) on defence.

The league is slowly shifting to a model where they are paying for future performance expectations, rather than past performance.  It's not a bad thing, so long as these kids actually do perform up to expectations.  With the rule changes in the league, they're showing at 20 and 21 years old, they can perform - the top 6 point getters in the league are all under 25.  It'd likely be Top 7 if not for Matthews' injury.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Seattle makes it 32
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:51 AM »
Holy shit... $650M for the buy-in.  VGK's fee was (just??) $500M.  Ya gotta believe the expansion draft is going to be just as friendly (or even MORE friendly) to Seattle as it was to VGK.  The league will want them to have a competitive and successful product out of the gate. 

Arizona moves to the Central.

No word yet on the cap - rumoured to be $83M next year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
  Ya gotta believe the expansion draft is going to be just as friendly (or even MORE friendly) to Seattle as it was to VGK.  The league will want them to have a competitive and successful product out of the gate. 

Bettman said that the draft would be under the same rules with Vegas being exempt from the draft.

Get a load of the owner. It's like Weekend At Bernie's.

EDIT: The owner was looking mighty CREEPILY at Jackie Redmond during that interview.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:42:34 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
  Ya gotta believe the expansion draft is going to be just as friendly (or even MORE friendly) to Seattle as it was to VGK.  The league will want them to have a competitive and successful product out of the gate. 

Bettman said that the draft would be under the same rules with Vegas being exempt from the draft.

Get a load of the owner. It's like Weekend At Bernie's.

EDIT: The owner was looking mighty CREEPILY at Jackie Redmond during that interview.

Jackie Redmond is pretty creepy looking herself.

And there's an article up at NHL.com that says what you said:  the draft rules will be the same as for Vegas, with Vegas being exempt (for some unfathomable reason, since Vegas will have played four seasons by the time the draft takes place).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »
Re: Seattle. Not sure what to make of this. The goal of the sports community here has always (since the Sonics left) been to secure a new/relocated NBA team. The attitude has generally been "If getting an NHL team helps us in that goal, great!" The buzz over this announcement has exceeded my expectations, and I think an NHL team can do well here. We do have the Seahawks, who are wildly popular, and UW football as well, so I hope a third winter sport team can achieve a high level of popularity. I won't comment on the arena situation, I don't have it in me to go in to all that and I am sure no one here cares. But that is going to be a huge issue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Curious Chris... how far from the border is the (likely) arena going to be?  I'm just wondering how similar (geographically at least) it is to the Toronto-Buffalo situation?

Buffalo's KeyBank center is only 15 minutes over the border in Fort Erie, so there is a pretty big market of Canadian fans within an hours drive.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
So happy the NHL is coming to my adopted city. While I don't live there, I am there often enough, and will be supporting the new Seattle team.

Chris is right in that the goal seemed always to reacquire an NBA team. But I think with today's announcement, that is one step closer to reality. Basketball is my #1 sport, and I bleed T-Wolves green and blue, but I have always supported the Sonics, and was, just like any other sports fan with ties to Seattle, crushed when they were moved. It's only a matter of time before a franchise comes up. I don't quite see any of the current teams being moved, so it would have to be expansion. But with the success the NBA is having, perhaps that will happen over the next six or seven years.

For now, very glad the NHL is coming to Seattle. Can't wait to support the team.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online pg1067

« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
Curious Chris... how far from the border is the (likely) arena going to be?  I'm just wondering how similar (geographically at least) it is to the Toronto-Buffalo situation?

Buffalo's KeyBank center is only 15 minutes over the border in Fort Erie, so there is a pretty big market of Canadian fans within an hours drive.

By the most direct land route, Key Arena is 112 miles from the U.S.-Canada border (about 142 miles to Rogers Arena in Vancouver).  It's a little shorter to Victoria, BC, but it'll take twice as long because of the ferry.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »

Got my name wrong, Pal. I am not Curious Chris.

I will trust pg1067's quote, that sounds about right. What he left out was the traffic. Once you get to Everett, that last 20 or so miles is going to feel like an eternity to get to Seattle. Brief history for non-locals: the arena is in a horrible location. It is old (by current arena standards) and Howard Schultz couldn't get funding to get it renovated, which is why he sold the Sonics at the first chance he could. It is largely a residential area with limited ingress/egress. Parking is extremely limited, though I do not know how that is going to be addressed. A local investor proposed an arena for basketball and hockey in the downtown area, by the Mariners' stadium and Seahawks field, in an industrial area with more space and easier access to multiple freeways, that would be 100% privately financed, but got no traction or support from city officials. They own the existing Key Arena and property and were never going to let any other place house any potential hockey and/or basketball team(s). I have not followed any news with regards to the new developers and what they are going to do to the area and arena, so I cannot speak to that.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

Got my name wrong, Pal. I am not Curious Chris.

I will trust pg1067's quote, that sounds about right. What he left out was the traffic. Once you get to Everett, that last 20 or so miles is going to feel like an eternity to get to Seattle. Brief history for non-locals: the arena is in a horrible location. It is old (by current arena standards) and Howard Schultz couldn't get funding to get it renovated, which is why he sold the Sonics at the first chance he could. It is largely a residential area with limited ingress/egress. Parking is extremely limited, though I do not know how that is going to be addressed. A local investor proposed an arena for basketball and hockey in the downtown area, by the Mariners' stadium and Seahawks field, in an industrial area with more space and easier access to multiple freeways, that would be 100% privately financed, but got no traction or support from city officials. They own the existing Key Arena and property and were never going to let any other place house any potential hockey and/or basketball team(s). I have not followed any news with regards to the new developers and what they are going to do to the area and arena, so I cannot speak to that.

It has always seemed dumb to keep things at Key Arena. I mean, they have the ability to buy up (and I believe one developer did) the land near Safeco and CenturyLink, to build an arena. It would seem a no-brainer to put it there. I agree, anyone who hasn't been to Key Arena -- it is a nightmare with traffic. I understand the city government wanting control and a use for Key Arena, but it seems awfully selfish and not practical, given the situation. But hey, if they got the NHL, my guess is, they have some idea of what to do for getting there and parking. At least I hope so.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 04, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
I followed the whole Chris Hansen saga pretty closely, bit with any real interest in the NBA/NHL, but because it was a window in to the ineptitude of the mayor's office and city council. Imagine in a time when cities are facing a backlash on publicly funded sports areas, having someone say "Hey, I own this land free and clear, and would like to build an arena wholly with my own money" and having the mayor/city council say "No, we really think we can do better that that." The way the Mariners, the Port, and the ILWU sabotaged Hansen's plans from the start is criminal.

Once Tod Leiweke's group got involved, I stopped following the story.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2018, 05:24:51 AM »
Leafs/Sabres... very entertaining game; very un-entertaining OT.  At one point, Buffalo burned 37 seconds just skating around their own zone during a line-change and trying to get their play setup.  Overall I'd say they burned another 30 seconds with lots of useless skating around just trying to setup a play.  I know that puck possession is paramount in 3-3 play, but man they looked like they were playing afraid. - they were playing 'not-to-lose'.  And in the end, literally... 10 seconds left and the Leafs start behind their own net, come up ice on a 2-2 and Matthews with that deadly snap-shot.  Top shelf where they keep the peanut butter.

Protip #2: Don't get to OT with the Leafs.  4-0

Matthews... 15 goals in 14 games.  And his best-bud Nylander back (prolly tomorrow, if not, Saturday).

None-the-less, Buffalo has a great team, and excellent future ahead of them.  I think they'll grab at least a WC spot this year.  Despite their current 4-game losing streak, all have been by 1 goal, and playing b2b against Preds/Leafs while traveling... pretty impressive.  Just goes to show they had a bit of good luck with them for that 10-game winning streak (7 of which were in OT/SO).  They just need to not be playing from behind - TV crew last night flashed the stat that during that 10-game streak, they had the lead for only 34 minutes.  I'm looking forward to Buffalo being my #2 team when I move to the area in March.

DAT Flames/Blue Jackets game!!!   :omg: :omg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2018, 06:50:48 PM »
Love watching Stu Grimson on the NHL network. That guy was a fucking beast. Yet he seems like such a mild mannered dude on TV. He's on with Brian "no one knows more about hockey than me" Lawton. I'd like to see Stu punch him right in his face. :lol

A couple of weeks ago, Stu was on with Kelly Nash  :heart and he called her "Young Kelly"  and she was like, "Did you just call me young?"  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
I'll support the Seattle team if I like the name and branding.  The Golden Knights was a let down for me.  It's a good thing their team was great or they would have looked silly.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online pg1067

« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2018, 09:33:45 AM »
I'll support the Seattle team if I like the name and branding.  The Golden Knights was a let down for me.  It's a good thing their team was great or they would have looked silly.

Thought you were a Kings fan?

Anyway, I saw that "Sockeyes" won some sort of local poll to pick a team name (of course, if that mattered, the Anaheim Ducks would be called the "Dukes" - after John Wayne).  I think Sockeyes is a DUMB name.  For starters, if they used the colors of the fish as the team colors, it would probably result in the ugliest regular jerseys in professional sports.  Second, why give your team's detractors an easily formed pejorative name - "SUCKeyes"?  Third, while the meaning of "sockeye" might be well known in the PNW and, in general, to folks who fish, I imagine it's going to generate a lot of "what the fuck is a 'sockeye'?" comments.

Some of the other stuff I saw in the fan poll was better but not great (e.g., Cascades).  If I didn't generally despise singular team names, I would say that the Grunge would be good.  Metropolitans would be the best name, but it won't happen since there's a "Metropolitan Division."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: December 11, 2018, 06:45:51 AM »
Here's hoping the Leafs actually show up and ... WORK ... rather than just relying on talent.  That 2-game suspension on Hyman was bullshit - and I'm not being a homer in saying that.  When is a body-check on someone admiring their pass a suspendible offense, let along a fucking penalty?  This is going to be a no-contact league in a few years.  I'm all for letting skilled players play, but it's still a physical sport.  Could Hyman have held up... sure.  But it wasn't dirty, it wasn't dangerous... it was just a hard hit.  Man, Scott Stevens wouldn't have lasted 2 years in the current NHL - he'd have had a lifetime suspension by now.

In other news... guess coaching wasn't the only problem in St.L?  Feel really bad for you Gary/Kev... things don't look promising for the team, and a fight in practice ???

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #229 on: December 11, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
In other news... guess coaching wasn't the only problem in St.L?  Feel really bad for you Gary/Kev... things don't look promising for the team, and a fight in practice ???

Yep. Bortuzzo (who has plenty of fights under his belt) fights the young kid Sanford. WTF? Picking on a kid who's half your size? It's an utter mess and dumpster fire in StL right now.

There is a massive problem with our 'core' guys who've now been through three coaches. Steen, Petrangelo, Schwartz, Allen and Tarasenko. It's unspoken but known that Steen was pi$$ed when Petro was anointed Captain by our GM instead of it being him. Ever since then there has been talk of 'team Steen' vs 'Team Petro' in the locker room. On top of that....apparently Backes was the only guy who could reign in Tarasenko as far as getting max effort in practices and games and stop him from whining when he wasn't scoring.

Tarasenko's no-trade clause doesn't kick in until next season. I'd see what I could get for him and ship him. He's a talent yes....but he's the easiest to move right now. Petro's contract ends next year and he's gonna want top tier D money. I wouldn't give it to him. He's upper tier potential and has flashes of it but I don't think he ever gets there. He has a full no trade though....but I'd be shopping him.

no one is going to take Steen and his $5 Million a year hit for the next 4 years. He's only good for Penalty Kills and third line efforts these days with an occasional goal when we really don't need it. Full no trade clause.

Schwartz is hurt as much as he plays. He can be the straw that stirs your teams drink when he's healthy and going but for the most part he's another one I'd turn the page on. Full no trade clause though.

And then there's Jake Allen. He's super gifted and talented....has proven he can steal a playoff series yet he head cases out at least once a year. You can't blame this season on him though. Early on when the team was scoring a ton our defense was non existent and he was getting peppered left and right. Then, as we tighten our D up we can't score meaning he gives up a goal an loses. Hard to trade him though with a full no trad and $4.35 Million dollar salary.

I'm talking blow it up. Those guys aren't 'bad' players and would be a gift to most other teams but I'm F'n done with them. Send them packing and let them win a cup with whichever team they end up on in Traditional former Blues player style.

Funny thing is....they are SO freaking bad this year I don't/can't even get mad  :lol   I have absolutely zero expectations. I just feel horrible for the owner Stillman who has done EVERYTHING he possibly can as an owner for these players/coaches/GM....including spending to the cap this season. and they reward him with zero drive or heart. It's pathetic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
5 or more goals against in 6 of their home games already this year.  And did I see that they just put Chad Johnson on waivers? 

Man, what a cluster.  Those NTC might not be as harmful as you think.  If the culture and performance continues to be this bad, why wouldn't some of these guys want to get the fuck out of Dodge?

Online Dittomist

« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
Yeah, as a disgruntled Blues fan, the only thing that brings me any comfort this season is seeing their arch rivals, the Blackhawks, fail even more (tonight they could lose their 9th in a row).  It seems like the Blues players are already sick to death of that lame new song that plays after every single goal and victory, and so they're choosing not to hear it. At this point in the season, they are clearly the most disappointing team in the league, while the Flames are the most improved.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
At this point in the season, they are clearly the most disappointing team in the league, while the Flames are the most improved.

Respectively, LA and Buffalo might have a word to say about who's more disappointed / improved.  Though, I'd tend to agree... StL does look like the team that has failed the most to meet expectations.

Online Dittomist

« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »
At this point in the season, they are clearly the most disappointing team in the league, while the Flames are the most improved.

Respectively, LA and Buffalo might have a word to say about who's more disappointed / improved.  Though, I'd tend to agree... StL does look like the team that has failed the most to meet expectations.

Yeah you're probably right about the Sabres, especially considering just how long it's been since they've made the playoffs (or even came close). It makes me wonder if they'd be doing just as well had the Blues given them Jake Allen instead of Carter Hutton.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »

Yeah you're probably right about the Sabres, especially considering just how long it's been since they've made the playoffs (or even came close). It makes me wonder if they'd be doing just as well had the Blues given them Jake Allen instead of Carter Hutton.

Blues didn’t give them Hutton, he signed with them. Blues couldn’t give away Jake Allen right now.....especially in the off season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
New Jersey disappoints me a lot, mainly because they were doing so well last year and seemed to really hit a stride, it's sad to see them regress in a not so strong Metro. I haven't watched many of their games, but it seems goaltending is the issue?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2018, 02:02:11 AM »
That 2-game suspension on Hyman was bullshit - and I'm not being a homer in saying that.  When is a body-check on someone admiring their pass a suspendible offense, let along a fucking penalty?  This is going to be a no-contact league in a few years.  I'm all for letting skilled players play, but it's still a physical sport.  Could Hyman have held up... sure.  But it wasn't dirty, it wasn't dangerous... it was just a hard hit.

Time for you to check up on the rule about interference. It was a late hit that was completely unnecessary, and what led to the decision to suspend Hyman is well argumented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtLw97Ux1FQ - I'm also worried that Hyman might've retaliated McAvoy's earlier action for which he got an appropriate penalty. That kind of shit needs to go away from any sport.

And Stevens is probably one player that inspired this development in the first place. He played part in shortening two hall-of-famers' careers with hits to the head.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:29:57 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
I don't know, Luoto. I'm surprised he was suspended. They never put a time for what the "brief window" is, nor compare it to the time elapsed from pass to check. He f'n buried him, but I thought he was just finishing his check. MacAvoy needs to have his head up and stop admiring his pass. Hyman doesn't take another stride after the pass is made.

...and I'm a Boston guy. I honestly had no issue with the hit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2018, 07:55:12 AM »
First... for the hundreds or thousands of clean hits Stevens had over his career, I'll be the first in line to say that the Lindros and (ESPECIALLY) Kariya hits were bad.

Second ... on the Hyman hit.  I can see it being an interference penalty, but even then, it's a coin toss.  We see 'nudges' that were late like that one all the time.  Hyman's hit wasn't in the head, he didn't leave his feet, he didn't take any strides leading up to it.  It was a clean and (imo) marginally late hit - sure as hell didn't seem "extremely" late.  But here's my real issue with this.  In the effort to get rid of the bad hits (looking at you Tom Wilson), the league is seeing that players don't expect to get hit at all.  Why was McIvoy vulnerable in that position?  Because he's just standing there not expecting to be hit.  That's just irresponsible on his part... he's in the corner, and there are 2 forecheckers coming in on him.  He should be expecting and READY to take a check.  But he isn't.  It seems there's this mentality (especially with the young 20-somethings) that they don't have to protect themselves, why... because the league will. 

The Leafs were down 6-2 at that point I believe.  It had been a bad game for them.  It's not uncommon - and frankly should be expected by the winning team - that a team going down that badly... TO A CRUCIAL DIVISIONAL RIVAL ... is going to get physical.  McIvoy should get a 2-game suspension for leaving himself so vulnerable.  jk, of course.

FWIW, I thought it was utter BS for Hainsey to take exception of the hit on Reilly too.  That was as clean as it comes.  The idiot (Reilly) was skating with his head down across the middle of the neutral zone.  What did he fucking expect??

I can't wait for Grapes to weigh in on this Saturday.  He has before - and pointed to the lack of development for kids to teach them on how to take a hit.  It's a players own responsibility to keep themselves 'safe'... no one else's.  Not the league's, and certainly not your opponent.  The only responsibility the latter has is to not make a dirty hit.  Hyman's was not dirty in any way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »
McIvoy should get a 2-game suspension for leaving himself so vulnerable.  jk, of course.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
He f'n buried him, but I thought he was just finishing his check.

He took two strides the moment McAvoy passed the puck, from about 18 feet away. That's not finishing a check, sorry. I'd probably take one game off that suspension though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:36:34 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
He f'n buried him, but I thought he was just finishing his check.

He took two strides the moment McAvoy passed the puck, from about 18 feet away. That's not finishing a check, sorry. I'd probably take one game off that suspension though.

As much as I'd like to agree with TAC, Hyman could have not made the hit at all.  He had plenty of time to veer off.  It was more than 'finishing' a check... he was definitely creating a hit (for all the reasons I pointed out above).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
It was definitely lining him up more than finishing a check for sure. He was definitely running him. I just didn't have a problem with it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
There's games ya win that you didn't deserve.  The Leafs had stole a couple this year thanks to some puck luck and stellar goal-tending from Freddie.  I guess it's only fair for them to give one up in that regard.  They played an amazing 59 1/2 minutes against TB last night - including 4 posts, 8 shots on one of their PPs, and a swarming PK.  A costly turnover from Nylander (he still looks like a pre-season player), a blistering shot by Kucherov that was actually a glove save, but the shot was so hard Freddie's glove flinched back an inch or so over the goal-line, and a 35-second lapse in play at the end of the 2nd.

I was hoping Vasilevsky might not be in top form after a 14 game layoff.  Boy, was I wrong.  That's gotta be the goal-tending performance of the year.

Awesome game.  I can't wait for the next 3 these two play.

I feel bad for Florida, as I think the Leafs are gonna have a massive chip on their shoulder for playing so well, but still taking the L.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2018, 05:50:13 PM »
Wow! Stars CEO with owner's approval goes nuclear on Seguin and Benn.