Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91445 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLS!
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2018, 06:25:05 AM »
Chad, how far are you from Niagara Falls?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »
Right now ... an hour (in no traffic).  Come March ... 20 minutes
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
Mike Yeo finally gets fired. Is Coach Q gonna get a new job this week!? I hope, that’d be a lot of fun to see.

I don’t know what it is with Yeo. This happened with the Wild too when he was here, he just loses the team. Does he piss off the veterans? He pissed off Parise and Sutter too and the team stopped listening. I don’t know what team would take a chance on him again
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
Mike Yeo finally gets fired. Is Coach Q gonna get a new job this week!? I hope, that’d be a lot of fun to see.

I don’t know what it is with Yeo. This happened with the Wild too when he was here, he just loses the team. Does he piss off the veterans? He pissed off Parise and Sutter too and the team stopped listening. I don’t know what team would take a chance on him again

The only reason he had any success as a Blues coach was he took over for Hitch. I’d season. Trended down ever since then.

I’m curious to see who’s next. Would love Q but I don’t see it happening.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2018, 04:18:31 AM »

Shut out in 2 straight games (3 out of 4) and to the only team with a worse record than you will do that to a coach.

Makes their win over the Leafs that much more maddening.  Clearly they played their best game of the season that night.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
I haven't seen the Pens play this bad for this long since before Sid and Geno came into the league. Too many problems right now to even dissect. They basically aren't doing anything well. Goal tending, defense, secondary scoring, coaching, etc... all has been poor.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
To be fair, Buffalo has been on a run, and look really solid.  But yeah... blowing a 4-1 lead, and losing 8 of 9 is pretty bad.

Makes their win over the Leafs that much more maddening.  Clearly they played their best game of the season that night.

LOL... I guess once a team beats the Leafs, they've blown their load for a while.   :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:57 AM »
To be fair, Buffalo has been on a run, and look really solid.  But yeah... blowing a 4-1 lead, and losing 8 of 9 is pretty bad.

Yeah, it's not about the game last night specifically, more about the last stretch of 9 games... Rough stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »

LOL... I guess once a team beats the Leafs, they've blown their load for a while.   :lol

The Blues actually played their best game against the Sharks at home. Looked awesome and like they'd maybe turned the corner. And that was/is the issue with the Blues this season. One game they look like legit contenders.....next game they can't beat the worst team in the league with a greener than green rookie in net.

The coach wasn't ALL the problem but it's the most obvious and simplest place to start. Our GM is part of the issue as well. Some years back when he decided Jake Allen was our goalie of the future after a very limited window of success he doomed us to deal with Allen's mental fragility all the while shipping two very capable and good goalies out. What I wouldn't do to have Carter Hutton as our starter right now. One of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen. The exact opposite of Allen when it comes to mental toughness.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
Honestly, I thought McLellan might actually make it to December. I guess not.

May the Hitch era begin in Edmonton.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »
No games tonight, but here's a feel good story.  Not sure if it got any air coverage in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYfhY5gVl8

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »
That's great Chad. Thank you for posting.

Hopefully the NHL Network has an extended piece.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
That’s awesome! :metal     

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
Everyone who had Buffalo leading the league the 1/4 season mark, raise your hand.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

The rest of the Top 10 looks about right, but I was expecting Wpg to be top 5.  Colorado is a nice surprise - that line of Rantanen-MacKinnon-Landeskog is probably the best in the league right now - sorry Bruins fans (actually, not sorry).  Impressive that Boston has won 3 of the last 4 given the injuries (though, against mid-tier teams).  Looking forward to tomorrow night.

The three NY-NJ teams are surprises to me - positive for NY; negative for NJ.  Florida and St.L have to be the obvious disappointments - both were expected to contend for at least a WC spot, but both have seemingly played themselves out of the playoffs.

It's still only an 8 point gap between 1st and being out of the playoffs, so nothing is for certain.

5 days and counting for the Nylander situation to be resolved.  I hope it's a trade, (whether outright, or sign-and-trade), or a bridge 2-year deal.  I don't think the Leafs need his offense as much as they need a long term $6-$7M d-man.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I'm just looking forward to December 1st because I'm sick of hearing about Nylander on Facebook from TSN  :lol

I've been reading today that it sounds like they're close to a deal, somewhere around the 7 million range. If true, it'll be interesting to see how they handle the future. I'm not well versed in Maple Leafs contracts, but don't they have a few other players that will be commanding big pay days? Matthews and Marner will both be big contracts. Matthews will want Tavares money at least, I don't know about Marner. I just think it will be interesting since they still need to address their defense
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Matthews and Marner are the Tier 1 RFAs.
Gardiner and Hainsey are UFAs
Then there are a handful of Tier 2/3 FAs - both in the restricted and unrestricted categories.  Kapanen is the most interesting RFA given his play stepping in to Nylander's role.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Everyone who thought Hextall would get fired before Hakstol raise your hand...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

I heard on the radio this morning that the Bills and Sabres are undefeated since November 4.   :omg:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone who thought Hextall would get fired before Hakstol raise your hand...

Not this Cochise. It's a shame... I think Hextall has a good enough team together (except between the pipes- and injuries haven't helped). Horrible decision to have Pickard start on Saturday, and that's on Hakstol.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stan Bowman should be fired. To fire Joel Fucking Quenneville and replace him with a 12 year old??? WTF??

Offline dparrott

I heard on the radio this morning that the Bills and Sabres are undefeated since November 4.   :omg:

Well that would explain them beating the Sharks.   ::)  The streak continues.

And I can't believe how bad the Kings are.  Wow.    :tdwn
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

And what... 7 of those 10 wins have been in SO/OT!?!?!   :omg:

Offline dparrott

Sabres are in first and the Kings are in last.  WTF?  This is truly bizarro world.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

Hey...two in a row and 6-7 in November, so they seem to be trending up slightly.  And Quick is back (although, unless he starts scoring goals, things may not change much).

I've only just started watching games this season.  The Kings still have time to turn things around, but they're in need of a fairly major roster overhaul.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Matthews back in the lineup tonight.  Shame to see Gauthier get the scratch, as all of the bottom 6 had been contributing and/or producing.

Damn... more injuries on the D for Boston.  Miller taking that puck in the throat on Monday was kinda scary.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Same with the Blues. Great off season upgrades and dumped some dead weight but it hasn't translated into anything at this point. If they can get a good streak going they can work themselves back into a wild card contention fight.....but that has to happen this month or it'll be a done deal for this season. It's possible....but, I'm not getting my hopes up

Offline Dittomist

Same with the Blues. Great off season upgrades and dumped some dead weight but it hasn't translated into anything at this point. If they can get a good streak going they can work themselves back into a wild card contention fight.....but that has to happen this month or it'll be a done deal for this season. It's possible....but, I'm not getting my hopes up

"Playoffs?? You kidding me??? Playoffs??? I just hope we can win a game!" Yeah, the Blues have been baffling and hopeless this season. Many people were predicting them to be Stanley Cup contenders this year with the addition of Ryan O'Reilly (who has easily been their best player) and so to see them in last place is such a shock. I'll be seeing them next month against Buffalo so hopefully they can turn things around by then.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

"Playoffs?? You kidding me??? Playoffs??? I just hope we can win a game!" Yeah, the Blues have been baffling and hopeless this season. Many people were predicting them to be Stanley Cup contenders this year with the addition of Ryan O'Reilly (who has easily been their best player) and so to see them in last place is such a shock. I'll be seeing them next month against Buffalo so hopefully they can turn things around by then.

Huge expectations for the season heading in to it and just a huge disappointment this far. But.....they could go on a run. They have the talent and it’s still early enough in the season to get back in it with some good hockey. Problem is.....they show no signs of being a team that can throw a nice 8-2, 9-1 run together.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Such a treat to have Matthews back.  Damn, that PPG goal.  He can be pin-point accurate - I think that's his third goal that is 'post-and-in'.  The Leafs PP was fairly ordinary with out him, but now that he's back, it's nice to be able to remind everyone of this again...

Protip - don't take penalties against the Leafs.

SJ was #1 in the league with only 3 PPG against in the last 21 GAMES.  Leafs lit them up 3 out of 4 PP chances.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
So a quick recap of what's happening in Philly.

Paul Holmgren as GM sells the farm and never brings Philly a championship, only cap hell.

He is then promoted to President and Hextall is brought in, effectively digs us out of the ditch and does a great job refreshing the prospect pool, while admittedly not doing anything great at the NHL level.

Hextall is fired, press release says that full effort goes towards hiring a new GM.

A few days later assistant GM and assistant coach are fired.

-----

Biggest takeaways at this point are why is Paul Holmgren making these firing decisions before hiring a new GM. And IF he's going to do that, how the fuck do you not fire the head coach who pretty much everyone wants fired at this point, or at least the assistant coach in charge of the Flyers penalty kill which has been atrocious for years.

I really, REALLY hope the Flyers don't get a new GM who sets the rebuild back too far, we were making good progress, which would show better results with a better coach.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Philly is apparently talking to Chuck Fletcher in NJ about the GM position.  Wouldn't be too bad a hire,  i think.  He did some good work in Minnesota during his 9 or 10 seasons.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah... you guys have a lot of solid young talent - especially on the blue line.  With Simmonds being a UFA, I'm sure you could fetch a decent return for him in March.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The Nylander Saga Ends!!

6 Year 41.77M--AAV of 6.9M against the salary cap.

The Leafs have 5.1 in Cap space as of right now, which there will be a bit more space next year when the cap inevitably goes up. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on this, I really am not good at reading contracts and salary cap issues, but how with such little space, and at least two players who are going to command 10+ million in a new contracts do they keep the core together? The Leafs need to address their defense at least a little to get over the hump. They're an amazing team, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

Do trades and not signing certain players get them there? The two Leafs reporters I follow on Twitter, James Mirtle and Kristen Shilton (:heart) all say Nylander's contract is team friendly and sets them up well for future contracts. I trust Kristen when she says it, but Mirtle gets so defensive over the Leafs, it's hard to separate some of the things he says into the fact or fiction category.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
They may only have $5M in cap space available this year, but when you look at all their FAs, they actually have $23M for next year at the moment (assuming no increase in the cap).  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs.  Marner and Matthews won't be the problem... They'll get paid.  The problem is going to be Kapanen (he'll want $4M-ish I suspect), as well as the others currently on the roster that would land in the $1M-$3M range (Johnsson, Leivo, Ennis, Lindholm & Sparks) plus a handful of minor-league players.  Not to mention Hainsey and Gardiner as bigger ticket UFAs.

I think it's a great deal for Willie, bad deal for the team (Dubas caved... if this was the contract he was willing to offer, he should've just done it a month ago), and absolutely catastrophic for about 10 other GMs.  There are easily ten other 2-year players that are ahead of Nylander in ability and value - Laine, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Aho, Boesser, Point, McAvoy, Werenski off the top of my head.

I'm thrilled to get him back, but it has all the possibilities of being a Lucic-ugly deal in the long term.  I don't see him being a Leaf thru the entire 6 years to tell you the truth.  I could go on and on over this, but not sure everyone wants to hear my ramblings over a 20-goal guy that isn't likely even to be on PP1 this year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's a big contract.

David Pastrnak snubbed from the All Star ballot for the second year in a row. WTF??