Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91468 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLS!
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
I read an interview with Anson Carter today where he talks about a similar situation that happened with the Caps team driver.  Driver overhead, and misinterpreted,  a conversation Carter was having with his hairstylist, and reported it to the GM and coach. From that point forward he assumed anytime he walks out the door someone is likely listening, and possibly recording.

Should the driver have released the video? No

Should a celebrity/pro athlete be conscientious of what they say outside the privacy of their home? Absolutely

They're entitled to as much privacy as any other person,  but the fact of the matter is that they aren't going to get it once they're out of their home. It's a side effect of fame.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/anson-carter-uber-drivers-mcphee-1.4894952

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2018, 06:51:04 PM »
Bullshit hooking call on Crosby before the PP goal. Backstrom totally held Crosby's stick against his body with his arm. I wish refs would stop falling for this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
I saw a headline/article drumming up notions of Morgan Reilly's start potentially putting him in the Norris conversation.  Whoa whoa whoa there fellas... let's not start suckin his dick that much yet.  The Leafs had an explosive offensive start, and Reilly's played good since then, but I don't see this being a break-out year for him to make him a Tier 1 d-man (hence the talk is still of getting such a defencemen in a trade for Nylander).  But it got me thinking...

The league has an award for the best defensive forward... why don't they have an award for the best offensive defencemen?  Too often the Norris seems to go to the guy that logs a shit-ton of ice team, and is at least Top 5 in defensive scoring.  To hell with how well he is defensively, so long as he's not a liability.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
The league has an award for the best defensive forward... why don't they have an award for the best offensive defencemen? 

Amen, brother. On no planet should Eric Karlsson ever be considered the league's best defenseman.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2018, 05:29:47 AM »
Tim, Joe...

I'm even gonna watch the game 'live' tonight so I can text you and not be spoiled while the Leafs kick your asses.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
That's right!  So did you hear about Rask's leave of absence?  Something personal is going on with him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2018, 05:46:31 AM »
That's right!  So did you hear about Rask's leave of absence?  Something personal is going on with him.

I heard... only a few days/games though.  You guys will be getting Andersen on back-to-back nights.  That doesn't happen often.  I'm surprised that Sparks didn't get the start last night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »
I'll be watching!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
I'm even gonna watch the game 'live' tonight so I can text you and not be spoiled while the Leafs kick your asses.

Still waiting for those texts! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2018, 07:51:20 PM »
Oh I got a few. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »
Seriously though, anything less than a 5-1 win would be embarrassing.

Back up goalie
No Matthews, Nylander
2nd night of B2B

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
Leafs blew their load in the 1st with 20 shots. Halak kept the Bs in it. Then the Leads just blew after that. Totally ran out of gas. Patranak is somethin else.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
Patranak is somethin else.

Not to be a homer, but I feel like he's still totally under the radar league wide.

At 22, he already has 106 goals.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
His body can be in the worst position and still get a laser on net.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2018, 10:50:55 PM »
That's what Chad gets for ruining my night last night :lol The Devils seem to only show up to the rink with their A game or their F game, no in between, and it's been far too much of the latter lately.

What's the word on Nylander anyway? I've been stashing him away on my fantasy team's bench.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2018, 05:16:11 AM »
That's what Chad gets for ruining my night last night :lol The Devils seem to only show up to the rink with their A game or their F game, no in between, and it's been far too much of the latter lately.

What's the word on Nylander anyway? I've been stashing him away on my fantasy team's bench.

The Leafs aren't going to give him what he wants.  He's 3rd in the priority of having cap space for long term deals for him, Matthews, and Marner.  I've predicted from the moment I heard he was holding out that he'd be dealt.  Recurring rumour has been Carolina, though new info is that Dubas (Leafs GM) has started asking teams if their interested in him, and if so, start thinking about the structure of contract offer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2018, 06:00:42 AM »
The Leafs still need a stud defenseman too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2018, 06:46:44 AM »
The Leafs still need a stud defenseman too.

I've been saying that for a year.  Told a buddy of mine last year - when Marner was in a slump - that a 1:1 trade of him for Hanafin could be beneficial.  Good thing they didn't do that!  Nothing wrong with Hanafin, but Marner is gonna be a Top 5 player in the league in the near future (imo).

Of the under 22 crowd, I think the Top 5 is/will be:

McDavid
Matthews
Marner
Pastranak
Barzal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2018, 06:49:32 AM »
I love Marner. He's shown in a very short time to be a Bruins killer. Even though he had a great assist on the goal, He was pretty quiet last night. I didn't really notice him. They should trade Nylander for a D Man though. They need to manage their cap for a major defensive upgrade.

Damn, they are fast though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
I love Marner. He's shown in a very short time to be a Bruins killer. Even though he had a great assist on the goal, He was pretty quiet last night. I didn't really notice him. They should trade Nylander for a D Man though. They need to manage their cap for a major defensive upgrade.

Damn, they are fast though.

Marner wasn't his usual self last night, for sure.

The good news is that Marleau's contract frees up $6.25M after next year; Hainsey ($3M) and Gardiner ($4M) are UFA's this year.  Hainsey will likely be gone, or cheaper (given his age), and I can see them letting Gardiner (or both) go in search of upgrading for a single $7M guy and developing some of the farm talent to fill the blue line.  Given Reilly is already in at $5M for a few more eyars, they sure as hell aren't gonna pay Gardiner more than that.

There's a couple of mid-tier players that are RFA's this year and will need to be signed as well - Kapanen, Johnson (Calder Cup MVP last year), along with Sparks are gonna chew up a few mil in cap-space.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2018, 08:13:13 AM »

The Leafs aren't going to give him what he wants.  He's 3rd in the priority of having cap space for long term deals for him, Matthews, and Marner.  I've predicted from the moment I heard he was holding out that he'd be dealt.  Recurring rumour has been Carolina, though new info is that Dubas (Leafs GM) has started asking teams if their interested in him, and if so, start thinking about the structure of contract offer.

Sign him, trade him, doesn't matter much to me, just get him on the ice :lol I think I saw that December 1st is something of a deadline in how league years accrue or something like that.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
Yes... RFA's have until Dec 1 to be signed, or they sit the whole season.  One way or another, the Leafs will do something.  If he isn't signing, they'll extract some value for the asset.  In the broadcast last night, it was said only Kyle Turas ever went this long as an unsigned RFA - he was signed by the Coyotes (in '13 I think... maybe '11), then traded to the Sens a couple of weeks later.

My bet is even if he does sign with the Leafs, they'll deal him.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
Mike Comrie sat out 30 games in 02-03 in his contract dispute with the Oilers.  The CBA was completely different back then though,  so i don't think there was any deadline for players to sign.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »
As always, really enjoyed the HOF induction ceremony.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »
The NHL Network has added Mark Parrish to the studio team. He's a riot. It's so refreshing to hear commentary like his.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2018, 11:26:49 AM »
That Leafs v. Kings game last night was just embarrassing...

...and wake up this morning to find Tanner Pearson traded to Pittsburgh for Carl Hagelin, who is an FA at the end of the season.  The rebuild is on and will be painful (although getting tickets on Stubhub should be a lot less painful on the wallet now).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

...and wake up this morning to find Tanner Pearson traded to Pittsburgh for Carl Hagelin, who is an FA at the end of the season.  The rebuild is on and will be painful (although getting tickets on Stubhub should be a lot less painful on the wallet now).

Yeah, I watched up to the 4-1 goal.  LA looked no better than an AHL team.  Hagelin is a shell of the player he was in the years the Pens made the Cup runs, so I'm confounded by this move.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

Yeah, I watched up to the 4-1 goal.  LA looked no better than an AHL team.  Hagelin is a shell of the player he was in the years the Pens made the Cup runs, so I'm confounded by this move.

They have similar cap hits ($3.75M for Pearson and $4M for Hagelin), but Pearson is under contract through the 20-21 season, whereas Hagelin has no term left after this season, so I assume the point is to give the Kings cap flexibility (and the Kings may move Hagelin at some point for (a) draft pick(s)).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #168 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »

They have similar cap hits ($3.75M for Pearson and $4M for Hagelin), but Pearson is under contract through the 20-21 season, whereas Hagelin has no term left after this season, so I assume the point is to give the Kings cap flexibility (and the Kings may move Hagelin at some point for (a) draft pick(s)).

I like this deal for the Pens. Hags has been largely ineffective this season and going back to last. I like getting a younger guy, for longer, for less.

Bigger picture though, Hags has become a staple in the locker room and Rutherford wanted to shake this room up (as the Pens are underachieving this year). This will definitely shake things up, not sure if it will be for the better or not.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #169 on: November 14, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »
I mean it really does suck to see Tanner Pearson go.  I can understand the rationale of it (he's been underperforming the most out of the bunch, even though the team has been horrifyingly underperforming so far this season).  It also does suck to trade away a younger player (that was a first round draft pick in 2012) that had shown to perform well in better circumstances. 

I mean this was a guy that was drafted the year the Kings won the cup in 2012 at #30.  Found himself on the main roster in 2014 and was in a high scoring line-up with another young-and-comer (Toffoli) and a solid consistent goal scorer (Carter) and that line-up was doing a lot of their scoring against the Blackhawks in the playoffs in 2014 (who was pretty darn tough to beat, especially when the Kings were playing them in that time period) and was a vital guy in that cup win in 2014.  I'm fairly positive that Pearson will do well with the Penguins and will probably be more upset (at Kings' management more than anything else) if he was playing well and it shows in the numbers at the end of the season.

I've been reading around that Carl Hagelin has his good moments and qualities, but hasn't been showing them that much so far this season, so I don't know if the move will energize him or the deteriorating Kings team, but stranger things have happened, some good, some bad, so let's see.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:30:21 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2018, 07:24:35 AM »

McDavid
Matthews
Marner
Pastranak
Barzal

This list has me wondering if there's some bias towards North American players, considering the current points leader is a 22-year-old from Finland ;) I think Rantanen is better than both Pastrnak and Marner.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
I've been reading around that Carl Hagelin has his good moments and qualities, but hasn't been showing them that much so far this season, so I don't know if the move will energize him or the deteriorating Kings team, but stranger things have happened, some good, some bad, so let's see.

Die hard Pens fan here - he's my view of Hags.

He was a HUGE part of the back-to-back Cup teams a couple years ago. Since then, he's been struggling to find his touch. His hands look like they might have turned the corner, as he's getting older, to just being stone. He's had a lot of trouble finishing over the last season and a half, to the point where he passes up a lot of scoring looks to pass. Things he still does well - he's insanely fast. Like insanely fast. Chasing down pucks, this guy will burn people. His speed with the puck has gone down, but he's still a burner without the puck. He is a strong position guy on the PK, he can eat minutes there for you guys. He's also not afraid to play down in the corners to retrieve pucks and set others up. He's played with Malkin and Kessel a lot in his time here, so he knows how to play with talented guys and do the dirty work required to play with snipers and scorers. Finally, and importantly - he's a great locker room guy. Total team dude, funny, good guy.

I think this trade might be a good change of scenery for both guys. The Pens needed a locker room shake up and this makes sense for that. I wish Hags all the best in LA, he was fun to watch here.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »

McDavid
Matthews
Marner
Pastranak
Barzal

This list has me wondering if there's some bias towards North American players, considering the current points leader is a 22-year-old from Finland ;) I think Rantanen is better than both Pastrnak and Marner.

Fair enough, and I'm likely biased towards Marner since I see so much of him.  As for Rantanen... that's a sample of 20-ish games, and yeah... he's playing elite right now.  Pastranak (not North American) looks lights out; Barzal I'm basing mostly off his performance last year.

And as I said... "will be" was part of the consideration.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:47 AM »
I mean it really does suck to see Tanner Pearson go.  I can understand the rationale of it (he's been underperforming the most out of the bunch, even though the team has been horrifyingly underperforming so far this season).  It also does suck to trade away a younger player (that was a first round draft pick in 2012) that had shown to perform well in better circumstances. 

I mean this was a guy that was drafted the year the Kings won the cup in 2012 at #30.  Found himself on the main roster in 2014 and was in a high scoring line-up with another young-and-comer (Toffoli) and a solid consistent goal scorer (Carter) and that line-up was doing a lot of their scoring against the Blackhawks in the playoffs in 2014 (who was pretty darn tough to beat, especially when the Kings were playing them in that time period) and was a vital guy in that cup win in 2014.  I'm fairly positive that Pearson will do well with the Penguins and will probably be more upset (at Kings' management more than anything else) if he was playing well and it shows in the numbers at the end of the season.

I have a friend whose last name is Pearson, so since the day he was drafted, Tanner was known to my circle of hockey friends as "Cousin Tanner."  She's pretty bummed about the move, but the reality is that he's been horrible this season:  no goals, one assist and a -9 in 17 games (not that anyone else on the Kings has been any good).  Ultimately, it's a decent move to clear cap space for the next season or two and not much more than that.  If we get any performance from Hagelin this season, that will be gravy (albeit probably pointless gravy since the Kings almost certainly aren't going anywhere).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2018, 11:06:35 PM »
No Nylander; No Matthews for 9 games.  Leafs are leading the league (though, with an extra game over TB and Nash).  Reilly has been pretty damned impressive - he's already got as many goals as he had all of last year.

And Buffalo!!!  :omg:  I knew they were gonna be improved, but I wasn't expecting this much.  They just might have a shot at the playoffs.  I'm looking forward to being a fan - since I'll be living 5 minutes from Buffalo, and 15 minutes from The Keybank centre.  Just might look to take in a few games a year.

And the Isles!!  Mind you, looks like a lot in the Metro are underperforming.