Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91494 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLS!
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
I agree that the Leafs D is a big gap. Disagree wholeheartedly that goaltending is an issue. Andersen is definitely a top-8 goalie in the league. He has always had a slow October.

Game tomorrow v the Caps will be a nice litmus test.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
Austin Matthews is on pace for 136 goals! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Solid game by the blue-and-white last night.  Freddie was a rock in the last 6 minutes with a handful of great saves to preserve the win.  4-0 on a road-trip is nice.  Here's hoping they can keep it rolling at home next week.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »
Looks like Leafs/B's will battle all year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
Looks like Leafs/B's will battle all year.

Bring on Nov 10th!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Awesome winner from Sid last night. One of the prettiest goals I've seen in a while.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »
Fantastic comeback by the Leafs last night.  They were not the better team (despite the SOG count).  They were totally stymied and outclassed in the first 2 periods.  I had to keep reminding myself that the Jets are an elite team, so it's not a disaster to get beat by a team of that caliber - especially when you lose your top dog*.  Lots of hard work in the 3rd, and a couple of great forechecks leading to turnovers and perfectly placed shots to beat Hellebucyk, and they're now 8-3.  :fistpump:  The Atlantic is looking surprisingly strong - Habs, Sabres and Panthers as surprises (though, the latter for disappointing reasons).

* - Matthews officially to miss 1 game... but methinks it's gonna be more like 8-10 like he missed last year.  I got a feeling he's gonna have this recurring shoulder injury thru his career.

In other news, Bruins lose, so that's always a good thing.   :biggrin:  Hard to believe Price has more wins with the Habs than Roy did.   :omg:  And was that a pretty goal by Domi, or what!?!?!  Pens dominate the west, and look pretty fuckin formidable.

What's with LA?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
LA is surprising to me, too. I didn't  expect to see them at
the bottom of the div. They're about where i expected the oilers to be.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2018, 08:23:02 AM »
Pens with a killer Canada trip, seems like it was a really solid trip for the team beating Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »
Pens with a killer Canada trip, seems like it was a really solid trip for the team beating Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Only 1 of those Canadian teams is an actual contender, so the Pens should come out on top against the rest of those teams. Still nice to see them crush Calgary though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »

Only 1 of those Canadian teams is an actual contender, so the Pens should come out on top against the rest of those teams. Still nice to see them crush Calgary though.

Don't count the Oil out so soon.... 3-game winning streak, and now 2nd in the Pac.

And Matthews is out 4 weeks.  As soon as I saw that hit on replay, I thought '8-10 games minimum'.  It didn't just look bad... it sounded bad.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
I'm trying  not to get too optimistic  about the oil. It's still  really early,  and the D is sketchy at best. However,  if Talbot/Koskinen can keep playing like they have been,  then there's some hope.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »

No doubt, but those are the games you have to start piling up wins from early in the year. You have to win the ones you should win.

That said - I agree with Jingle - I think the Oil will be okay.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
Rough start to the season for the Blues......but the last 5 their 3-1-1 and have scored 24 goals....so things are turning around a bit. Bunch of new players and players that were hurt last year trying to figure out how to play together. I'll take this slow start that leads into solid hockey over the fast, great start they had a year ago that led to them missing the playoffs by a point. Good thing is I have zero expectations from them this season so it should be a relatively stress free year.  :lol   who am i kidding..right?  :biggrin:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
Had a pretty cool experience last Wednesday. A local writer who covered the Blues for 14 years at the Post Dispatch and who now writes for The Athletic, Jeremy Rutherford, ghost wrote Hall of Fame Blues Center Bernie Federko's life story. The book is called 'My Blues Note'....pretty cool story of his life and playing career. I'm buddies with Rutherford and he got me an early copy...really enjoyed the book.

so last Wednesday they had an event that was a town hall type deal....$35 a ticket you get to sit in this small hall with Jeremy and Federko and they did a Q & A and talked about the book...the process of writing it....heard some stories that weren't necessarily in the book...so on and so forth. At then end of the Q & A they both signed your book and you had a few minutes with them.

Rutherford texts me that day and asks if I was going to that event and I said 'yep' and he says we should just ride together, so we did. Well, after the Q & A when the line formed I made sure to be the last person because I knew I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon being I rode out with Jeremy. It gets down to me being last....took my pic with Bernie....said a few things...got my book signed (for my Dad) and thought that'd be that.

Well Bernie had to sign another 30 or 40 books for some online orders so Jeremy and I just hung out there and chatted with him and some workers while he did that. He gets done, looks at JR and I and says..."How about going and getting some cocktails boys?" Jeremy asks me if that'd be cool and I was like "Umm....no....I don't want to go hang out with a Hall of Fame Hockey player"  :lol

Of course I'm going with them. We went to a local bar ....they had a couple beers....I don't drink so I just sipped some water....but I got to sit and chat and hang out with Bernie Federko for the next two hours or so. We left the bar around midnight. It was such a neat experience....just hearing him talk about some old stories....hearing some behind the scenes things that go on with the Blues now...like I said, it was just really neat. Federko's a real down to earth guy that didn't have this attitude of being 'better' than anyone. I mean, here I am a nobody really and I talked to him for a couple hours like you'd talk to one of your buddies. Just 'real' conversation without any nervousness or anything. Was quite the experience.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
Of course I'm going with them. We went to a local bar ....they had a couple beers....I don't drink so I just sipped some water....but I got to sit and chat and hang out with Bernie Federko for the next two hours or so. We left the bar around midnight. It was such a neat experience....just hearing him talk about some old stories....hearing some behind the scenes things that go on with the Blues now...like I said, it was just really neat. Federko's a real down to earth guy that didn't have this attitude of being 'better' than anyone. I mean, here I am a nobody really and I talked to him for a couple hours like you'd talk to one of your buddies. Just 'real' conversation without any nervousness or anything. Was quite the experience.

That cuz he wasn't!   :lol

jk man, I always thought that Federko was a meat-and-potatoes player, nothing flashy, but always dependable.  Like a taller version of Denis Savard.  Solid offensively in an offensive era, and no slouch defensively either (though his career +/- suggests otherwise!).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »

That cuz he wasn't!   :lol

jk man, I always thought that Federko was a meat-and-potatoes player, nothing flashy, but always dependable.  Like a taller version of Denis Savard.  Solid offensively in an offensive era, and no slouch defensively either (though his career +/- suggests otherwise!).

When reading the book I was surprised at how ‘good’ he was. He put up solid numbers every year. Had (10) straight 100+ point seasons. He’s pretty sour in the book about being under appreciated also. Like you said....he was a solid player for a long time but wasn’t ‘superstar’ caliber. He was elite ...just not a household name.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »
Can the Blues just fire Yeo now and get it over with?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
I know we're only 12-15 games into the season, but there are some fairly big surprises - NYI, Mtl, Minn, Cgy, Van on the good side; Stl, LA, Ana, Fla, and Wash on the not-so-good side.

Oh, and THIS is the VGK team I expected last year, and predicted for this year (last night's SO win notwithstanding).

Getting Murray and the Pens at home was just what the doctor ordered for the Leafs offense last night (sorry Mikey).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »

Yeah. They’re a train wreck. It’s brutal.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

Their defense is atrocious.  Defensive breakdowns everywhere and Allen has been shaky, and even on nights where he does look good, he still gives up goals because he is left hanging out to dry.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »

Their defense is atrocious.  Defensive breakdowns everywhere and Allen has been shaky, and even on nights where he does look good, he still gives up goals because he is left hanging out to dry.

Just when we go out and ‘fix’ the power play.....leading league in PP goals right now......our once very reliable defense vanishes.

Coupled with the fact that Jake Allen has proven to be just a slightly better than average goalie who literally cannot make a big save and has let a fair share of soft goals go by. I’ve defended him for three years now but I’m done with that. Even when your D leaves you out to dry the elite goalies in the league find a way to make the saves in those moments. He’s incapable of doing that. It’s a mess

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
Getting Murray and the Pens at home was just what the doctor ordered for the Leafs offense last night (sorry Mikey).

:lol It's all good.

I'm not the type to blame goalies or panic based on a small set of games (when it comes to goalies), but Murray is worrying me a bit. He's been terribly inconsistent.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2018, 08:36:00 AM »
Jon Stevens out in LA, Joel Quenneville out in Chicago. Some big moves at this point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
Gee, I wonder who the next Kings coach will be. Thanks Chicago! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »
Gee, I wonder who the next Kings coach will be. Thanks Chicago! :lol

No kidding. Of course the Blues will dick around for another two months and only then fire Yeo......which will lead them to miss out on coaches like this....only to hire some other unproven hack.

If Armstrong had any balls and could get over his massive ego....he'd have fired Yeo the second he heard about Q getting axed and went all in on the effort to hire him. It would be neat to have another 'real' coach.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
So.... will the fiasco  in Ottawa affect Duchene's value as a free agent next off-season?

I think it looks awfully bad,  but at the and of the day some GM will back a dump truck full of money to his house for a max year contract. Dude still puts up some big numbers.

Discuss.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:59 PM »
All underperforming teams surely have players that think and say this. Shame on the UBER driver. I'll bet they never get another pro athlete to use their service again.

I think the media is making a mountain out of a molehill, and creating the controversy.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
All underperforming teams surely have players that think and say this. Shame on the UBER driver. I'll bet they never get another pro athlete to use their service.

I agree the driver shouldn't have been recording, but you still shouldn't say that stuff about one of your current coaches in public regardless of how very true your comments are.  Of course players talk smack about their coaches behind their backs,  but do it in private with your buddies.

I guess it seems like a bigger deal to me because it's coming on heels of the Karlsson/Hoffman circus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
I don't have a problem with the Uber recording, nor do I have an issue with the players venting. What I do have a problem with is the fact that this got released to the public.

If I was an Uber, I'd record everyone that I picked up, for my own safety. However, I feel that it should be posted that recording in in process.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:23 PM »
Two things.

If I was the Blues, I'd fire Yeo and get Q.

The Ottawa situation. As many members of the hockey media, former and current players, and hockey executives have said regarding the situation--Good team, bad team, these conversations happen on every team and aren't bad. Hell, who hasn't bitched about a boss or manager. Yeah, these players are a bit more in the spotlight, but I have absolutely zero problem with them talking the way they did. Also, they aren't far off with what they said.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:03 PM »
All underperforming teams surely have players that think and say this. Shame on the UBER driver. I'll bet they never get another pro athlete to use their service.

I agree the driver shouldn't have been recording, but you still shouldn't say that stuff about one of your current coaches in public regardless of how very true your comments are.  Of course players talk smack about their coaches behind their backs,  but do it in private with your buddies.

I guess it seems like a bigger deal to me because it's coming on heels of the Karlsson/Hoffman circus.

But it wasn't in public.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2018, 08:46:18 AM »
I have no problems with the uber driver having a camera, it would be almost stupid not to if you do that full time, nor do I blame the players for venting. As was already mentioned it's something literally everyone does at some point. But that driver releasing the footage is a serious issue.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
I have no problems with the uber driver having a camera, it would be almost stupid not to if you do that full time, nor do I blame the players for venting. As was already mentioned it's something literally everyone does at some point. But that driver releasing the footage is a serious issue.

It would've been easier to simply type..

What TAC said!

I don't have a problem with the Uber recording, nor do I have an issue with the players venting. What I do have a problem with is the fact that this got released to the public.

If I was an Uber, I'd record everyone that I picked up, for my own safety. However, I feel that it should be posted that recording in in process.

;D