Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91464 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The biggest hole in the Bruins lineup is their anthem singer apparently!

Oh ffs!  Would a mod please move this to GD.  :zeltar:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:59:14 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - vBruins seeking a new singer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
I mean, it IS music related.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »
 :lol at both!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
 :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
Good start to the new thread!  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »
Hell of a start indeed. It could be an omen that the Blues will finally win the cup!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
Hell of a start indeed. It could be an omen that the Blues will finally win the cup!

:metal   That's what I'm talking about.

But I know better      :'(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
As far as the Blues go....I like what Armstrong did to change the chemistry in the locker room. Added some grit with O'Reily and Maroom.....I like the Tyler Bozak addition as well.

Center was a huge weak spot for us last year and now it's looking good. Obviously the Blues largest issue will be Jake Allen and if he can manage not to have the 2-3 week stretch of time in January where he falls apart. He's done it two seasons in a row. Dude is super talented physically and 'can' be a great goalie....even steal a playoff series like he did against Minnesota two years ago....but he head cases out a lot.

In an article in the Athletic this summer Jeremy Rutherford interviewed him and Allen mentioned he did alter his off season regime a bit this year to include something he's never done before. He wouldn't say what it was but an anonymous source said that it was a Sports Psychologist. I'm good with that if it helps. He needs to be a bit mentally tougher. He gets down and loses confidence WAY too easily....especially for a goalie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
nhl.com did a bit on the teams that look like they've improved the most, and the Blues were there.  They've got three solid lines by the looks of things.  If anyone can keep pace with the Preds and Jets, I'll bet it's them.  Avs and Stars aren't there yet, Hawks didn't do much to improve as best I can tell, nor did the Wild.  The Central still looks like the most competitive division in the league.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
The Central is going to be a bloodbath this year.  The top of the Atlantic is going to be nasty as well.  That could be a division with 4 teams over 100 points and 4 teams under 75 points. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
And the Pacific Division looks like it's going to be a few nice islands surrounded by nothing but floating trash.  Just like in real life!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
The Central is going to be a bloodbath this year.  The top of the Atlantic is going to be nasty as well.  That could be a division with 4 teams over 100 points and 4 teams under 75 points.

Who do you see as the fourth?  Do you think the Sabres are improving THAT much?  Or do you think it's the Panthers?  I think it's guaranteed the Bolts/Bruins/Leafs will all be north of 100, and it should be a tight race for 1st.  The east is surely going to be a clear line between the have's and have nots... including the Metropolitan.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
Tampa Bay can't be too happy about how they played in that Washington series. Hope we can build off our stellar season and get to the Stanley Cup. Kucherov should have another MVP caliber season, and I think our young goaltender, Vasilevskiy, having full season  as a starter under his belt should give him more confidence. He had some terrific saves last season. I still need Stamkos to step. it. up.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
Well, obviously, the Kings can't be happy with how they stacked up getting swept against Vegas.  Their offense during the series was really lacking.  Sadly, imo, Rob Blake's answer to that is signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 3 year contract at $6.25M a year.  This guy hasn't played in the NHL in five years and he didn't really leave the NHL on the greatest of terms from what I heard.  Maybe he might end up paying dividends in the end and have a great season, playing with Kopitar (shouldn't be too hard to accomplish).  Hard to say.

That stated, I still feel good about the upcoming season.  As long as Quick is healthy and plays consistently well and our usual guys (Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, etc.) plays solid and remain healthy and the younger guys (Iafallo and Kempe) continues to tap into that young potential and turn that into greatest for the most part, everything should be fine.  So for me, they need to play solid hockey in all the games they play, stay healthy, and avoid legal issues.  Do all three and it's an easy trip to the playoffs where anything and everything can happen.

The Pacific division is still going to be tough to go against.  I know the other California teams (where both Sharks and Ducks are more consistent at making the playoffs than the Kings in their history) are going to play really well against the Kings, so the Kings got to play well back.  Don't know how Vegas will stand now that the honeymoon phase is over, but I don't expect them to suddenly drastically get run over and I do think they will remain competitive in the standings.  Coyotes will probably have that "sucks for the most part, can be really good for a good period of time" phase.  The Canadian teams (Flames, Oilers, Canucks) will have that certain sense of unpredictability where they will really suck in one game, can be really dangerously playoff-competitive good in another game which makes me afraid to go against them at times.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:26:21 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:12 PM »
Well, obviously, the Kings can't be happy with how they stacked up getting swept against Vegas.  Their offense during the series was really lacking.  Sadly, imo, Rob Blake's answer to that is signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a 3 year contract at $6.25M a year.  This guy hasn't played in the NHL in five years and he didn't really leave the NHL on the greatest of terms from what I heard.  Maybe he might end up paying dividends in the end and have a great season, playing with Kopitar (shouldn't be too hard to accomplish).  Hard to say.

That stated, I still feel good about the upcoming season.  As long as Quick is healthy and plays consistently well and our usual guys (Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, etc.) plays solid and remain healthy and the younger guys (Iafallo and Kempe) continues to tap into that young potential and turn that into greatest for the most part, everything should be fine.  So for me, they need to play solid hockey in all the games they play, stay healthy, and avoid legal issues.  Do all three and it's an easy trip to the playoffs where anything and everything can happen.

The Pacific division is still going to be tough to go against.  I know the other California teams (where both Sharks and Ducks are more consistent at making the playoffs than the Kings in their history) are going to play really well against the Kings, so the Kings got to play well back.  Don't know how Vegas will stand now that the honeymoon phase is over, but I don't expect them to suddenly drastically get run over and I do think they will remain competitive in the standings.  Coyotes will probably have that "sucks for the most part, can be really good for a good period of time" phase.  The Canadian teams (Flames, Oilers, Canucks) will have that certain sense of unpredictability where they will really suck in one game, can be really dangerously playoff-competitive good in another game which makes me afraid to go against them at times.

I agree with pretty much all of this and was not nearly as impressed by the Kovalchuk signing as some were.  I kinda figure, at best, he'll score 20 goals, and at worst, it'll be a fuckin' disaster.  I felt like the team performed above expectations in 2017-18, so 2018-19 will be a bit of a we'll see.  If Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick can play to the levels they're capable of, we'll probably be in good shape, although, as mentioned, the Pacific Division will be a bitch.

By the way, I MISS THE FROZEN FURY!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »

Who do you see as the fourth?  Do you think the Sabres are improving THAT much?  Or do you think it's the Panthers?  I think it's guaranteed the Bolts/Bruins/Leafs will all be north of 100, and it should be a tight race for 1st.  The east is surely going to be a clear line between the have's and have nots... including the Metropolitan.

I think the Panthers have a good chance of getting there.  They finished at 96 points last year and I think they are poised to get back into the postseason mix.  Montreal and Ottawa are going to be terrible this year, and if Henrik Zetterberg LTIRetires this season, the Wings will be as well.  I think Buffalo will be marginally better, but I think they are still 2-3 years away from really making noise in the division.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »
Buffalo is like the Clippers of the NBA.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 10:46:48 PM »
Interesting Mount Puckmore discussions...
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24265978/undefined

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 04:26:05 AM »
Interesting Mount Puckmore discussions...
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24265978/undefined

No time to read it now... just quickly skimmed it, and the only one they got absolutely right was Detroit... and maybe Tampa.

Man, how do you narrow it down to just 4 for the Canadiens??

Offline romdrums

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
Sounds like it's all but official that Henrik Zetterberg will be LTIRetired soon:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/08/28/detroit-red-wings-henrik-zetterberg/1128632002/

I'll be sad to see him go but I'm hoping this helps Ken Holland finally kick start the rebuild.  It's time to lose for Hughes!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 04:32:00 AM »
With less than 2 weeks to pre-season, and a month until the regular season, I'm gonna try and stimulate some discussion like the NFL thread did leading up to the season - starting with the Atlantic division.

Biggest story of the off-season had to be the Leafs/Tavares signing; biggest current story has to be where Erik Karlsson is going to land.  This is a division of haves (Bolts, Bruins, Leafs), and have nots (the rest - with Florida somewhere in between).  Pretty solid chance (injuries not withstanding) of the top 3 being all over 100 points again this season - all have strength down the middle, a stud of a goaltender, and lots of talent that can put the biscuit in the basket.  Bolts definitely have the edge over the Bruins and Leafs on the D, though McAvoy looks ready to step up and be a top candidate for the next generation of A-list defencemen.

NHL.com ranked the top 10 players in the division:

Karlsson
Kucherov
Tavares
Stamkos
Bergeron
Hedman
Matthews
Barkov
Marchand
Eichel

Hard to argue with that - though, I really don't see Karlsson as the BEST player in the division.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Buffalo can do.  I can certainly see them jumping up to 5th, maybe even 4th place if they get some decent defense/goaltending.

Offline romdrums

Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. A look at the Atlantic
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
The Atlantic is such a contrast between the Haves and the Hab Nots.  Kinda weird to see a division where there will be 3 teams in the race for the Presidents Trophy and 3 teams in an equally intense battle for the #1 overall pick in the 2019 draft.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
And the Sens were just an OT winner away from the Stanley Cup Finals just 15 months ago!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 06:48:34 AM »
Right?  Melnyk needs to sell that team.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
Any Hurricanes fans around here? Can someone please explain why they gave up on Noah Hanifin?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
Wow... I totally missed that news.  That kid is gonna be a stud in a couple of years.  Strange that you let an RFA go like that.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »
Any Hurricanes fans around here? Can someone please explain why they gave up on Noah Hanifin?

First time hearing of the player, but I found it interesting that he was basically traded for Dougie Hamilton. Looks like they let go of a few younger, potentially great prospects to get a couple older, proven guys and maybe make a run in the next year or two. Dougie is a great defensemen and can only be better than what he was last year, since he'll be playing on a better team.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Pacioretty off to Sin City.  Vegas has bolstered their team pretty good, but I still don't see that lighting-in-a-bottle season being repeated this year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »
Pacioretty off to Sin City.  Vegas has bolstered their team pretty good, but I still don't see that lighting-in-a-bottle season being repeated this year.

That trade really underscores the one major blunder by McPhee in an otherwise godlike season, which was the initial Tatar trade and how much he overpaid.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »

That trade really underscores the one major blunder by McPhee in an otherwise godlike season, which was the initial Tatar trade and how much he overpaid.

Can't wait to see Bergevin trade Nick Suzuki for veteran grit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »

First time hearing of the player, but I found it interesting that he was basically traded for Dougie Hamilton. Looks like they let go of a few younger, potentially great prospects to get a couple older, proven guys and maybe make a run in the next year or two. Dougie is a great defensemen and can only be better than what he was last year, since he'll be playing on a better team.

Well, Sweeney tried to use the pick he got for Hamilton, along with the Jones 1st rounder to jump up and take Hanifin in the first place. I wonder if he offered Hamilton straight up for Carolina's pick in the first place.

Hamilton is a good player for sure, but I wonder what the issue the Canes had with him. Did they not want to extend him, yet are fine paying Hamilton's contract??

Well, they get Pacioretty and lose James Neal. I might consider that a step back.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
So....everyone has a man crush. Admit it.

Well, my man crush was just traded. :sadpanda:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
Steve Yzerman resigned as GM for The Lightning.  Let the speculations of him really rebuilding the Red Wings begin.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
Steve Yzerman resigned as GM for The Lightning.  Let the speculations of him really rebuilding the Red Wings begin.

That's a surprising move.
I thought they said he was staying on as an adviser. Do you think he'll end up back in Detroit?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
I have no idea, but I just see the news in my usual outlets of Steve Yzerman resigning and you think there may be a lot of comments thinking (and desperately hoping) that he ends up back with Red Wings in a managerial role and make that team great again...... (don't care either way since Red Wings are on Eastern Conference).

I am reading that he is staying as an adviser for Bolts, mainly due to wanting to spend more time with family.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:20:26 PM by Anguyen92 »