Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91484 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. will both #1 seeds GAG??
« Reply #665 on: April 21, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
Red Wing fans finally have some hope and promise for the future.  Here's hoping Stevie Y brings the same success as GM that he did on the ice, as well as his years as the Lightning GM.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #666 on: April 21, 2019, 09:21:36 AM »
Speaking of Toronto, I read that this is the first time since the early 00's (2002, I think) that the Maple Leafs are the last team from Canada alive in the playoffs.

'04 technically... since both they/Mtl were eliminated in the 2nd round, but the Leafs went 6 games.  Not a surprise really, since they didn't make the playoffs again until 2013, and haven't made it out of the 1st round since '04.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: April 21, 2019, 09:26:30 AM »
Speaking of Toronto, I read that this is the first time since the early 00's (2002, I think) that the Maple Leafs are the last team from Canada alive in the playoffs.

'04 technically... since both they/Mtl were eliminated in the 2nd round, but the Leafs went 6 games.  Not a surprise really, since they didn't make the playoffs again until 2013, and haven't made it out of the 1st round since '04.

Damn. I honestly didn't know their recent history had been that poor.  I'll be rooting for them today. :tup :tup

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #668 on: April 21, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »

But Calgary made the finals that year, so Toronto still wasn’t the last Canadian team standing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #669 on: April 21, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
Damn. Toronto couldn't wrap up the series and the momentum shifted on the Bruins favor.

Sucks for TJ Oshie. Out with a broken clavicle and he had surgery.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:43:24 PM by goo-goo »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: April 21, 2019, 07:05:21 PM »

But Calgary made the finals that year, so Toronto still wasn’t the last Canadian team standing.

Oh yeah... rite. Well, there won't be any Canadian teams going on to the second round. No way Boston loses 3 at the Garden.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: April 22, 2019, 05:52:35 AM »
That was one helluva soft goal by Flower.  Sharks got dominated (from what I can tell of the stat sheet), but now have all the advantage and momentum.

God I hope they win.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »
Chad has no confidence in the Leafs taking game 7.

I have doubts since I think the Leafs speed are the B's Kryptonite.

Both teams won 2 games on the road.

Which team and impose their will to the other.  for me, the team that scraps for the puck, beats the other team to the puck, the little extra keeping the puck in the opposing zone is the team that wins.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 22, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »
Special teams was the difference yesterday.  Bruins PP 2-2; Leafs, 0-3.

I hope the refs let 'em play tomorrow.  All 5 were chincy penalty calls yesterday.

Best I can hope for is Rask having one of his 'off' games, and Andersen stealing one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: April 22, 2019, 07:45:44 AM »
Rask can have those games.

Brian was wearing a line in the rug from pacing yesterday.  He allow swallowed a half dozen swears because my nephew was with us. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
I hope the refs let 'em play tomorrow.  All 5 were chincy penalty calls yesterday.

This is what I loved about game 6 between the Blues and Jets. The Refs let them play....the calls that were called were very obvious calls....a couple high sticks and blatant trips. Everything else was old school playoff hockey. Each team knew the line and it was fun to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #676 on: April 22, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »
Wow! Canes showing some stones tonight!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #677 on: April 22, 2019, 07:52:24 PM »
Amazing the difference in crowd noise between the two games when flipping back and forth.  Caps/Hurricanes is nice and loud in Carolina, while Preds/Stars is quiet as a mouse in Dallas.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #678 on: April 22, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
What do you guys think of that Washington goal that was disallowed? I never heard the whistle and didnt hear it on the replays either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: April 22, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
What do you guys think of that Washington goal that was disallowed? I never heard the whistle and didnt hear it on the replays either.

That was a shit call. I am guessing the reason was the ref lost sight of the puck, even if he hadn't blown the whistle yet, and that ended the play before Ovechkin jammed it in, but if that was true, why was it reviewable?  Didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #680 on: April 22, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »
Radulov has really turned it around in Dallas. Feel sorry for Rinne. His window for winning the Cup is closing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: April 23, 2019, 05:16:04 AM »

That was a shit call. I am guessing the reason was the ref lost sight of the puck, even if he hadn't blown the whistle yet, and that ended the play before Ovechkin jammed it in, but if that was true, why was it reviewable?  Didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm virtually certain that a disallowed goal because of a blown - or intent to blow - whistle is not reviewable.

Buh bye Preds.

Now, if my two most hated franchises would kindly eliminate themselves tonight, all will be right with the hockey world.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #682 on: April 23, 2019, 05:28:42 AM »

I'm virtually certain that a disallowed goal because of a blown - or intent to blow - whistle is not reviewable.

Then I have no idea why that wasn't a goal. ??? ???

Oh, and it was awesome to see Nashville get knocked out in the first round. :hat :hat

Stars will be a tough opponent next round, though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: April 23, 2019, 05:56:01 AM »

Buh bye Preds.

Now, if my two most hated franchises would kindly eliminate themselves tonight, all will be right with the hockey world.

At least it's a 7pm EST start.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »

Oh, and it was awesome to see Nashville get knocked out in the first round. :hat :hat

Stars will be a tough opponent next round, though.

Stars will be tough for the Blues. We don’t match up well against them AND they’ve had our number for a couple seasons. But, it’s the perfect team for the Blues to face because if you’re going to win the cup you need to rise to these type of occasions. Stars aren’t a ‘better’ team than the Blues.....but the Blues will need their best to beat them. Should be a fun series to watch.

And....I already detest every Stars player....even just looking at them makes me angry

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: April 23, 2019, 07:33:01 AM »

My initial response was before seeing the highlights.  I just assumed from goo-goo's comment that it was disallowed because the play was blown dead.  Now having seen the replay, and the fact it was reviewed, it makes no sense.  How does anyone know what is / is not goaltender interference with the way the Situation Room is making calls??  Honestly, the Leafs got away with one on Sunday - Matthews goal was pretty much interference between Hyman/Rask, but the wasn't called as such... and yet this one last night *is* considered interference??  I think the situation room might just be flipping a coin, because rarely do we see calls over-turned ... except for offsides - 1mm over the line, and they'll overturn those all day long.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Honestly,  i prefer the international rules where as soon as a player enters the crease it's a whistle. No possible chance of interference,  and no possible chance of ridiculous issues like the Brett Hull Dallas/Buffalo fiasco. The argument against is that it removes the battle in front of the net, but it really just moves it outside the paint.

I hope these playoffs are the push the league needs to finally make the rule change.

Offline goo-goo

Jeremy Roenicks was saying that Alex pushed Mzarek's pads when trying to hit the puck. Still think it was very bogus the way officials handled that call.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Man, I wanted the Preds to win but that OT was some of the most entertaining hockey all year, holy cow.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

And....I already detest every Stars player....even just looking at them makes me angry

:lol :lol

Honestly,  i prefer the international rules where as soon as a player enters the crease it's a whistle. No possible chance of interference,  and no possible chance of ridiculous issues like the Brett Hull Dallas/Buffalo fiasco. The argument against is that it removes the battle in front of the net, but it really just moves it outside the paint.

I hope these playoffs are the push the league needs to finally make the rule change.

Good God, no. That would be awful.  Too many great goals would be disallowed because of incidental "in the crease" actions.  The way they do it now is great, last night's bizarre ruling notwithstanding.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
3rd & 4th shift saved us tonight. They played with tenacity.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
There wouldn't be any incidental in the crease disallowed goals because it's a dead play as soon as a player enters the crease, regardless of what's going on in the play or which team has possession. The difference in the old NHL rule was that players could be in the paint so long as there wasn't a goal on the play or something stupid like that. The international rule is no skates in the paint period. Goalie interference goal reviews don't exist in the IIHF, so it obviously works.

Offline goo-goo

Toronto is out. Wonder why Babcock didnt switch lines earlier or let Matthews, Nylander and Tavares play more minutes. I know think Babcock is an overrated coach.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Good lord I’d be ticked if I were a Vegas fan. Don’t know how you give Eakins a 5 minute misconduct because Pavelski couldn’t stay on his feet.

Offline dparrott

4 GOALS IN 4 MINUTES!!!!!  PAYBACK BITCHES!!!!   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  Pavelski's injury was the kick in the ass the Sharks needed!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
4 GOALS IN 4 MINUTES!!!!!  PAYBACK BITCHES!!!!   :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol  Pavelski's injury was the kick in the ass the Sharks needed!

Amazing turn of events but that call was highly questionable.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

This is the type of series that turns division-mates into rivals. San Jose/Vegas has the potential to be one of the marquee rivalries in the league.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dittomist

Yeah, that was definitely one of the craziest games I've ever seen. Vegas got screwed for sure with that bogus penalty, and I'd have more sympathy if that happened to just about any other team. Their fans have had very little to complain about for the team's brief history and so it's about time they start spending some time in Heartbreak Station like the rest of us. The other Game 7 tonight was far less exciting, and even though I picked Boston to win the Cup on my bracket, I was kinda hoping that Toronto could finally slay that beast.

Offline dparrott

For once the other team choked INSTEAD of the Sharks!

Vegas fans are going to be like Saints fans: blaming the end of their season on a ref.  But they had plenty of chances to take the Sharks down and didn't.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Anguyen92

What a game 7.  Here are my thoughts that I posted in another forum as the Sharks was scoring their goals.

Oh boy.  That's one.  I don't see them getting two more in a row, but the major penalty and Pavelski out could cause the Sharks to deal a lot of pain.

NO WAY FRIKEN WAY.  This is the Sharks we are talking about.  Like I'm going to believe that they can get three straight in this time of game.  Yes, they were able to complete a huge comeback in 2011 (me and my huge diarrhea problem back then felt such huge pain).

WHATTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oasdfjio asdjoasjvauisdhviopehvuqwejuvilwqehnvqewjgvvhjnwqj vkkwvnqweoveqwovnowqvvqewklvnerqwnewqbobnwrebwre

This can't be happening right now. How can a team melt down so hard at a critical time?

As for the major call. Man, that's going to a tough one for the Golden Knights to swallow, but regardless the call was right or not, they should have had the mental fortitude to make good plays to clear the puck and kill the clock.  They had the Sharks reeling.  You just cannot give them life in some ways, shape or form.  They will make you pay hard.  I felt that pain back in 2011 in Game 3 when they played the Kings.  I had horrible diarrhea issues to make it worst so I felt huge pain when the Sharks won that one.  To let in 4 goals in that time frame is just absurd and should never happened.  Reminds me of that time the Kings scored three Power Play goals (and they always suck in the power play) off a major penalty from the Devils (boarding to Scuderi) in Game 6 in 2012 that led them to win the cup, but at least, that call wasn't as controversial as the Pavelski injury that led to the major.

All right, since I didn't have a rooting interest in that Sharks/Golden Knights series for obvious reasons, I can go back to rooting against the Sharks and root for the Avs in this one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:05:24 AM by Anguyen92 »