Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 92830 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Blues hoist the Cup!!!
« Reply #1680 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
I don't have much issue with any of the rules.  They all serve as a deterrent to stop play.  The 'unintentional' part of dislodging the net ... oh well.  All 'puck-over-glass' penalties are unintentional, but that doesn't mean they don't go without consequence.  And the key point in that rule isn't the 'unintentional" part, it's the "if an official determines'.  Sounds like they're giving officials the ability to make a determination, not simply that it's an absolute (ie, defender dislodges the net therefore no line change).

Gonna be a fun next 10 days with all these RFAs.  Does anyone think there will be any offer sheet extensions.  Lots of rumours around the Marner side of things in that regard, but I don't know if anyone else is potentially the target of an offer sheet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1681 on: June 21, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
I don't expect any offer sheets. There's lots of talk around Marner, but I think that's just the TO media hyping it. I think it's more likely he ends up holding out like Nylander if the parties are indeed $2M apart in expectations.

I read a piece on sportsnet today that there's only been 1 offer sheet not matched in the last 20 years. I remember that day very well, because the media here in Edmonton (not to mention a lot of upset fans) were in a frenzy trying to figure out what the hell Kevin Lowe was thinking giving up 3 -1st rounders. The Leafs would make off like bandits with 4 1st rounders for Marner in an offer sheet situation, but that doesn't help them win during the 5 year Auston Matthews window.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1682 on: June 21, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »
I was just reading an article on Marner. I see he hit his career high in goals this year.

45?....nope.
40?....nope
35?....nope
30?....nope

He scored 26 goals! Twenty Six! And he played all 82 games.

ONE goal every three games and that costs $11m?

And I like him, but I was shocked at how few goals he actually scored this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1683 on: June 21, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
I don't have much issue with any of the rules.  They all serve as a deterrent to stop play.  The 'unintentional' part of dislodging the net ... oh well.  All 'puck-over-glass' penalties are unintentional, but that doesn't mean they don't go without consequence.  And the key point in that rule isn't the 'unintentional" part, it's the "if an official determines'.  Sounds like they're giving officials the ability to make a determination, not simply that it's an absolute (ie, defender dislodges the net therefore no line change).

My comment was that I don't really like the idea of "penalizing" a team for something that happens unintentionally.  That includes the puck-over-the-glass delay of game penalty.  Don't like that either.

Since a player dislodging the net always does it either intentionally or unintentionally, the officials have always had to make a determination regarding intent.  Granted, the consequence of unintentionally dislodging the net is relatively minor, but I still don't see the point of this rule.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: June 21, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
The (negotiating) position by Marner right now isn't around goals scored, it's around value to the team - and he's pegging Matthews as his "comparable".  Well, he's over-valuing himself in a big-big way, and he isn't the only one (Laine is supposedly asking for $10M+).  I hope these GMs knock them down a peg.  Lots and lots of rumours are flying around, but if Marner doesn't get any offer sheets, then his only leverage is holding out.  Dubas isn't even asking for a 'hometown' discount, and I do think he is willing to over-pay him.  He's just not (rightly so) willing to make him the 3rd $11M-man on the team.  Those economics don't work to build a team around.

At the $$ that Marner wants, I do think the Leafs may let him go for the four 1st rounders they'd get in return.  That, or (like O'Reilly) match and trade.  The problem with taking the 4 first rounders is that 2 are next years; 2 can be in 2021.  So, the team will have burned most of Matthews contract without the value of those assets.  So, match and trade makes more sense to build a team around Matthews (and Tavares) for immediate benefit, not benefit in 2022/23.

Marner would be crazy to leave.  The Leafs can put SOOOO much of his contract up front (wasn't Nylander's like $18M signing bonus, and he's getting $8.3M payment on July 1 - that's almost 1/2 his contract paid out in the first 8 months!).  Plus, the endorsement deals that he would get as a Leaf blow away what Florida or the Islanders could possibly offer.  Plus friends and family are all here.

I'm hopeful that a lot of the rumours are just media BS, and that he ultimately signs for the low 10s.  I think that's a landing point Dubas would be comfortable with.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1685 on: June 21, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »

This page felt like it was missing something......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: June 21, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
I so want to go and dig up your rage post from a couple years ago of you flipping off the entire fucking roster.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1687 on: June 21, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: June 21, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
I so want to go and dig up your rage post from a couple years ago of you flipping off the entire fucking roster.

I think those were from embedded pics on my old photbucket account....don't know if they'd still show up. I fully stand behind that sentiment at the time though  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: June 21, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
Yeah... I dug it up, and all those pics are toasted.  The thread is locked, so I can't even properly 'quote' it.  But, here ya go.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41864.msg1952641#msg1952641

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: June 21, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »
Brings back memories.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Hughes goes 1st overall.
« Reply #1691 on: June 21, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
No surprise that Hughes goes 1st overall.  He's a lock to be a superstar.  Kane-quality potential for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1692 on: June 21, 2019, 06:28:25 PM »
No surprise that Hughes goes 1st overall.  He's a lock to be a superstar.  Kane-quality potential for sure.

Oh shit. Forgot this was on..

Kane?  I feel like he'll be closer to Gudreau. (sp?)

I'd be happy with Kakko though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: June 21, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »

Oh shit. Forgot this was on..

Kane?  I feel like he'll be closer to Gudreau. (sp?)

Jackie-Hockey  :lol ??  Style-wise, you're probably right.  I just meant the likelihood that he'll be a Top5 or Top 3 player in the league for a big part of his prime years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1694 on: June 21, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
Top 3?? That's a tall order, as is Top 5. You think he's that good?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1695 on: June 21, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
Love the reaction of the kid Detroit picked.

I think that kid could be a stud.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: June 21, 2019, 07:17:27 PM »
Top 3?? That's a tall order, as is Top 5. You think he's that good?

Sure... in 5-ish years (when he's 23/24) who are gonna be the top players?  McDavid is a given.  Who's next?  Mathews, MacKinnon, Barkov, Petterson, Pastranak, Point, Johnny G, Eichel, Keller, Aho, Marner??  The league has always seen players peak years are 25-29.  Some of these have a ways to go to show they are / could be Top5.  Hughes dominated the USNP like no one else, including Matthews and Kane.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1697 on: June 21, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
Yeah, maybe you're right.  I just feel like he's too small.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: June 21, 2019, 07:21:42 PM »
Yeah, maybe you're right.  I just feel like he's too small.

Marner and Gaudreau don't seem to have a problem with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1699 on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
Yeah, I know.

I guess I get that from the Bruins refusing to pick anyone over 6'.  :lol

(other than Brandon Carlo)

Oh, and Pierre Maguire...STFU!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1700 on: June 21, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »
Why is Quennville up there with the Panthers? Did I miss something?

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1701 on: June 21, 2019, 07:47:28 PM »

Oh, and Pierre Maguire...STFU!

I sometimes wonder what some iconic, classic hockey calls would have been like had McGuire been a part of them in those years.

Gary Thorne: “Gretzky had it, lost it... Yzerman pucks it up... Yzerman moving, blue line chance SCOOORE! DETROIT WINS!”

Pierre McGuire: “Yes they do, Gary! They win indeed! And it’s all because Stevie Y from Cranbrook, British Columbia goes top shelf over Jon Casey’s shoulder and hits the post with an absolute laser of a slap shot! What a release with Yzerman’s magical play, and the crowd loves it! Yzerman’s magical play...”
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:56:52 PM by Snow Dog »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1702 on: June 21, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »

I believe that's his next coaching gig after Blackhawks gave him the boot which I found it be a bit baffling given that the Blackhawks was .500 after 15 games when they announced it.  I would have loved it if the Kings was .500 after 15 games last season.  John Stevens got booted at the same time as well and Kings' record was way worst.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1703 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:20 PM »
Would've liked Raphael Lavoie, but Beecher is a 6'3" Center. I'll take it. Thank God they drafted someone over 6'.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1704 on: June 21, 2019, 09:26:35 PM »

This page felt like it was missing something......

That picture cannot be posted enough.  :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1705 on: June 21, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
Um, yes it can.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: June 22, 2019, 04:39:44 AM »

Apparently you were so nervous about playing the Leafs in Rd 1, you missed the news.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/panthers-hire-joel-quenneville-next-head-coach/

You heard it hear first, Florida teams finish 1-2 in the Atlantic next year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1707 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Bold prediction.

I am interested to see how those paper champions, otherwise known as the Tampa Bay Lightning, bounce back after the epic gag job they did in the 1st round this year.  I am sure they will have a great regular season again - they have too much talent not to - but will they man up in the postseason the next time around?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1708 on: June 22, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
That seems more like a question than a prediction.

Are you still working on your bold prediction?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1709 on: June 22, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
The "bold prediction" was in response to Chad's post above mine.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: June 22, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
My bold prediction is the Blues win another cup within O’Reily’s current contract he has (4) more years with us. We have a few of the core players locked in for that time. I think they can get another one. It’s time to get greedy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:50:11 AM by gmillerdrake »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: June 22, 2019, 10:40:29 AM »
Subban trades to New Jersey.....details of trade still unknown but it’s done.

Wow! So glad won’t have to see him play that much anymore. Not because he’s good but because of ‘how’ he plays.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1712 on: June 22, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »

Wow! So glad won’t have to see him play that much anymore. Not because he’s good but because of ‘how’ he plays.

I had read a rumor that some of his teammates were getting tired of his act, similar to what happened with him in Montreal, so I am not surprised by this.

My bold prediction is the Blues win another cup within O’Reily’s current contract bye has (4) more years with us. We have a few of the core players locked in for that time. I think they can get another one. It’s time to get greedy.

I like it. :tup :tup

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1713 on: June 22, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »
Subban is still elite,  so im sure Jersey will tolerate his antics. They'll certainly be an improved team next season just from the moves the last 24 hours. And if the TSN report is correct,  NJ gave up peanuts to get subban.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1714 on: June 22, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »

Kind of like how you post in hockey threads.  ;D