Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 92773 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Best of three for Lord Stanley's mug
« Reply #1435 on: June 07, 2019, 08:19:00 AM »
utter load of mother F'n bull  :censored that Ian Barbashev has a meeting with the NHL on a hit he delivered. If he has a meeting there should have been a number of guys who should be meeting today. MANY hits were questionable on both side. The ONLY reason I see they singled out Barbashev is that NBC wouldn't shut up about it and petitioned for the hearing.

the hit happened literally three feet in front of a ref.....no call. this is another batch of horse shit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1436 on: June 07, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Right the slashed stick. They’ve actually let that go all series.

not slashed....broken....in two pieces...while defending on a PK.

Yeah I saw it man. Legit.

But they’ve let slashed sticks go all series. So the dudes stick broke? Got it. But the refs also missed putting the Bruins on a 5 on 3 as well this series.

I can’t do this on my phone!!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1437 on: June 07, 2019, 08:32:25 AM »
Exactly.  Joe and Tim are smart enough to know their team had gotten some major calls/missed calls go their way in the first two games, so to complain big time about last night would come off as hilariously hypocritical, and they know it. 

I think Boston fans absolutely have a right to complain.  My take is that the fans from a city that has been deprived of championship success, issues like this are taken way out of context and the 'we're being hosed' complaints come out hard.  Fans from a city that have been blessed with championship success, seem to be more patient with the process to get there and recognize there are ebbs and flows.

At least, that's what I'm seeing on DTF.   :biggrin:

Like Tim said, other than the two calls mentioned (and the slashed stick is not what I'd call a "major" missed call), I don't know what the hell you're talking about Kev. I recall some chincy/soft penalty calls - a few more against the Blues than the Bs.  As a reminder, Blues game 2 - ergo they overcame these supposed "major" calls you reference.  Cup winning teams overcome, not blame, their circumstances.

Re: Barbashev... I feared that, as there clearly was head contact (though it's hard to say if the head was the primary point of contact).  The NHL is over-compensating on these hits now.  Might as well make it a non-contact sport - as that is the ONLY way to completely eliminate head contact.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: June 07, 2019, 08:35:35 AM »
Re: Barbashev... I feared that, as there clearly was head contact (though it's hard to say if the head was the primary point of contact).  The NHL is over-compensating on these hits now.  Might as well make it a non-contact sport - as that is the ONLY way to completely eliminate head contact.

that's the thing....it wasn't just Barbashev who had a fishy looking hit. There were a handful on both sides. The Refs had zero control of that game. It's ridiculous that he's the only one going in for a hearing.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1439 on: June 07, 2019, 08:39:46 AM »
You can't trust these bandwagon refs man, first they want the Sharks to win the cup, now they want the Blues to win the cup...
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: June 07, 2019, 08:46:25 AM »

that's the thing....it wasn't just Barbashev who had a fishy looking hit. There were a handful on both sides. The Refs had zero control of that game. It's ridiculous that he's the only one going in for a hearing.

I remember seeing two hits with head contact, both delivered by the Blues.  Sanford on Krug was the other.  Both should be considered clean hits - body-on-body, which included incidental head contact.  Until the league makes it a non-contact sport, there will always be incidental/accidental/unintentional head contact.  So long as the head isn't the primary point of impact, there should be no penalty or action taken.  And that was the case with both those hits last night.  They SHOULD be considered good clean hits, but who the hell knows.  Sundqvist's hit shouldn't have warranted a Finals suspension, but they did it anyway.
 The NHL is as bat-shit wonky and inconsistent as the NFL these days.

Fucking concussion lawsuits.   >:(
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1441 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:04 AM »
Barbashev clearly hit Johansson with a head shot. Intended or not. Barbashev has been headhunting the entire series.

Even Ed Olcyck (sp?) expected that play to be reviewed. Just because it wasn’t called doesn’t mean it want an infraction.

Edit: I actually had no problem with the Sanford hit on Krug.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1442 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Chad is to the Bruins what Kevin Durant was to the Warriors: tired of losing to them, so why not defend/join them!!  :lol :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: June 07, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
Chad is to the Bruins what Kevin Durant was to the Warriors: tired of losing to them, so why not defend/join them!!  :lol :lol

:tup

But not really.  I'm just able to be a liiiiiitle teensy weensy (and by that, I mean a LOT) more objective than you.   :D ;)

Now, if when it's the Leafs in the finals, all bets are off.   :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: June 07, 2019, 08:56:27 AM »
Barbashev clearly hit Johansson with a head shot. Intended or not. Barbashev has been headhunting the entire series.

Even Ed Olcyck (sp?) expected that play to be reviewed. Just because it wasn’t called doesn’t mean it want an infraction.

Edit: I actually had no problem with the Sanford hit on Krug.

Citing Olcyck means nothing. He hates the Blues. Just like the Sundquist hit the reason the Boston player got hit in the head was due to his actions. Dude changed his position after playing the puck...Barbashev was already in motion. Again, just like Sundquist...happened directly in front of a ref...like RIGHT in front of him and no call.

Checking hard doesn’t mean head hunting. Besides...if we’re talking head hunting Boston fans have nothing to complain about. They’ve had their fair share.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1445 on: June 07, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
The Leafs in the finals? Good one. :lol :P

What's next, Tim starts listening to Phil Collins? ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1446 on: June 07, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
The Sunquist hit was a hit from behind regardless. The last second change in Grizz’s position resulted in the head shot. Sundqvist wasn't targeting the head, but it was from behind, all the way.

Look it’s been a physical series. Barbashev has gotten my attention because he comes up high on people. It was bound to catch up with him.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: June 07, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »
The Leafs in the finals? Good one. :lol :P

What's next, Tim starts listening to Phil Collins? ;)

I'm sure you thought the same thing in January.  ;)

It's a good thing I'm here for Gary, cuz you'd make me want to hate the Blues more than the Bs!   :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: June 07, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »
The Sunquist hit was a hit from behind regardless. The last second change in Grizz’s position resulted in the head shot. Sundqvist wasn't targeting the head, but it was from behind, all the way.

Look it’s been a physical series. Barbashev has gotten my attention because he comes up high on people. It was bound to catch up with him.

Yeah. We could argue about this all day. To pretend the Bruins haven’t laid a couple ‘suspendable’ hits out there as well is dishonest. All I’m saying is if Barbashev is now getting a hearing where is the hearing for the couple Bruins hits?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: June 07, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »

Yeah. We could argue about this all day. To pretend the Bruins haven’t laid a couple ‘suspendable’ hits out there as well is dishonest. All I’m saying is if Barbashev is now getting a hearing where is the hearing for the couple Bruins hits?

What, like the one on Tarasenko where he "sold" the head contact?  :lol  Dude, you know I'm 'Team Blues', but I can't recall any hits that were of the same caliber of head contact as the Sundqvist/Barbashev hits.  And don't say Krug on Thomas.  I absolutely hate Krug, but that hit was 100% legit.

DON'T MAKE ME DEFEND ANYTHING ABOUT A BOSTON TEAM!!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1450 on: June 07, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
There’s been no comparable hit by the Bruins as the Barbashev shot.

There’s been plenty of guys hit from behind though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1451 on: June 07, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
I am finding great humor in the "I'm TEAM BLUES, but am going to defend everything Boston" shtick, Chad. That is quality. :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1452 on: June 07, 2019, 10:40:37 AM »
It’s called objectivity.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: June 07, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
It’s called objectivity.

No more than your schtick of 'everyone is out to screw the Blues' or 'we're being treated so unfairly'.  :-* :P 

Seriously though... often point out when others get all homer-y (particularly Bosk with the Dubs/49rs), but fail to recognize how strong it is in your own bias's.  Like I said, when it's the Leafs' turn, feel free to call me out on it if/when it happens.

Just to trigger your medium term memory - I loathe everything about Boston sports, and have been routinely vocal about it - but not so much I disregard facts in the blinding glare of my home team's success.  Maybe I haven't said it here frequently enough, but my playoff motto is ABB - Anyone But Boston. In every sport.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1454 on: June 07, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »
My motto is ABC:

Anyone But Canada

:P :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1455 on: June 07, 2019, 12:36:01 PM »
I'm rubber, you're glue.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1456 on: June 07, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
So Kev if Barbashev is suspended for one game (and all who have these meetings have been suspended) who replaced him for game 6?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: June 07, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
So Kev if Barbashev is suspended for one game (and all who have these meetings have been suspended) who replaced him for game 6?

I’d put McKechrin in. He’s quick and throws his body around as well. I’m sure he’d get a. Suspension for playing hockey also but at least that line would still have an up tempo guy in there.

Ridiculous that it’s even an option he won’t be there considering all the high/questionable hits from both sides last night.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: June 07, 2019, 01:19:21 PM »

I’d put McKechrin in. He’s quick and throws his body around as well. I’m sure he’d get a. Suspension for playing hockey also but at least that line would still have an up tempo guy in there.

Ridiculous that it’s even an option he won’t be there considering all the high/questionable hits from both sides last night.

He play in any rounds so far?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: June 07, 2019, 02:11:12 PM »

He play in any rounds so far?

Nope. That’s why it’ll probably be Fabbri. Berube trusts him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm wondering what the B's will do in games 6?  Do they go with 7 defensemen again?  The forwards seemed gas at the end of the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'm wondering what the B's will do in games 6? 

Lose, hopefully.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hopefully....

I'm hopeful too.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
As predicted the lobbying from NBC announcers and baby boy Cam Neely get Barbashev a one game suspension. Nothing like missing a game for throwing a shoulder into someone’s chest.

Great clip going around Twitter showing Steen getting interfered with/tripped twenty seconds before the bonncall on Bozak. Only difference is he hopped up and kept skating/playing rather than trying to embellish the call further by flailing backwards then laying there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
No penalty on the play. No player hurt or concussion protocol. Only a biased announcing crew whining about it and an angry owner making a phone call.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Be careful at the name throwing at Sea Bass. Lol

https://youtu.be/UYOFv8IArUY

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Uh ... yeah... that's an absolute horseshit call.  NHL has swung the pendulum too far.  Their explanation video even states that Barbashev has no history, no prior fines, and no prior suspensions.  To equate that to a 1-Game Finals suspension is beyond belief.  A 1-game regular season suspension might have been warranted, or a fine only.

The DPS needs to get their fuckin ego's in check.  Judge, Jury, and Executioner??  The NHLPA should make this a priority negotiating point, as this is getting ridiculous.  The league has become low-contact, and pretty soon people will be scared to make any kind of contact, and it will be powder-puff hockey.  I can't rant anything more than what I've ranted about in the past, but Sundqvist was bad enough; this suspension is even worse.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Add that players are actors as well which adds to the issue.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
There is no way that if Barbashev got a suspension for that.....that this:

Didn't warrant a suspension according to the ruling. This hit had more of a head shot than Barbashev's....yet it's a "don't poke the bear" celebrated hit.

Krug had a 100 ft run up to a standing player. I 'get' that it was a 'legal' hit in the eyes of a few. Just because he stopped skating at the Blue line doesn't mean it wasn't targeting....the momentum he generated in that 70 foot sprint and the fact that he zoned in on Thomas when the puck was barely near him...made it a questionable hit. Especially now with these two Crap rulings and their explanations.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the difference is the Blues player knew Krug was coming where Johansson didn't see Barbashev coming.