Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 93343 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Best of three for Lord Stanley's mug
« Reply #1330 on: June 05, 2019, 06:59:03 AM »
Nothing will ever top Mcguire on TSN on trade day back in '08 and him talking to Darren Dutchyshen - and I quote "you're an announcer with a long stick from time to time :eyebrows:" (the "eyebrows" emote is in the quote purposefully)

https://youtu.be/_i5zXLZHGI4?t=106

His interview with Byfuglien wasn't that tolerable either.

And, of course, the ubiquitous call from Eberle's goal at the World Juniors that forever cemented him as the worst hockey commentator ever. The version with his verbal wanking edited out shows just how awful he really is.

WITH: https://youtu.be/R8v8C3scwvg

WITHOUT: https://youtu.be/kghBi1w-c3E
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1331 on: June 05, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »
Nothing will ever top Mcguire on TSN on trade day back in '08 and him talking to Darren Dutchyshen - and I quote "you're an announcer with a long stick from time to time :eyebrows:" (the "eyebrows" emote is in the quote purposefully)

https://youtu.be/_i5zXLZHGI4?t=106

His interview with Byfuglien wasn't that tolerable either.

And, of course, the ubiquitous call from Eberle's goal at the World Juniors that forever cemented him as the worst hockey commentator ever. The version with his verbal wanking edited out shows just how awful he really is.

WITH: https://youtu.be/R8v8C3scwvg

WITHOUT: https://youtu.be/kghBi1w-c3E

I hadn’t seen that call before. Talk about ruining the drama of the moment. The question was rhetorical, Pierre!

That Byfuglien interview was indeed cringeworthy. And that smile after creeping him out is reminiscent of a two year old shitting his pants and proudly looking toward his parents.

Don’t forget IT’S A DOUBLE DION!!!1!1 You could probably make a ten-minute compilation of stupid stuff he’s said.

I imagine his last days in college studying communications went something like this:
https://youtu.be/8fIs-f-jaZY

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1332 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »
Ever notice his insistence on using players' full first names regardless of how they usually are referred?
Chris Letang is always Christoper Letang, Pat Maroon is Patrick Maroon, etc. Always, and I do not understand why. I wonder how he'd feel if everyone started calling him Regis instead of Pierre, since that is his actual first name. Pierre is his middle name.

Also found this gem of an article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/01/30/kendall-coyne-nhls-pierre-mcguire-induces-awkward-moments-booth/2728866002/  🤦‍♂️
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1333 on: June 05, 2019, 10:17:42 AM »
Chara isn't that good anyway.  I can't remember a finals where I could say neither of the two captains were among the best players on their respective teams.

Chara hasn’t been one of the Bruins best players in s long time.

I thought Pietrangelo has been excellent so far. He’s been their best D Man.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1334 on: June 05, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »
I thought Pietrangelo has been excellent so far. He’s been their best D Man.

Iv'e been a Petro detractor for much of the last two seasons......BUT.....his play in these playoffs and particularly this series has really impressed me. He had a couple dumb icing penalties in the SJ series.....but, all in all I think he's elevated his game and has me second guessing my desire to see him off this team.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1335 on: June 05, 2019, 01:33:08 PM »
By the way, don't diss the NBC crew for not knowing how to pronounce his last name.  The CBC crew also do it three different ways

Cherry (mind you, that old coot mis-pronounces evert non-English name!) - Peter-Angelo
Elliotte Freedman - Pet-Rangelo
Ron MacLean - Pietra-Angelo

I do believe it's supposed to be the latter.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1336 on: June 05, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »
By the way, don't diss the NBC crew for not knowing how to pronounce his last name.  The CBC crew also do it three different ways

Cherry (mind you, that old coot mis-pronounces evert non-English name!) - Peter-Angelo
Elliotte Freedman - Pet-Rangelo
Ron MacLean - Pietra-Angelo

I do believe it's supposed to be the latter.

I would expect that the correct Italian pronunciation is pee-eh-TRAN-juh-low.  What I hear most commonly is puh-TRAN-juh-low, and peter-angelo sounds silly to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1337 on: June 05, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
Ever notice his insistence on using players' full first names regardless of how they usually are referred?
Chris Letang is always Christoper Letang, Pat Maroon is Patrick Maroon, etc. Always, and I do not understand why. I wonder how he'd feel if everyone started calling him Regis instead of Pierre, since that is his actual first name. Pierre is his middle name.

Also found this gem of an article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2019/01/30/kendall-coyne-nhls-pierre-mcguire-induces-awkward-moments-booth/2728866002/  🤦‍♂️

I haven’t noticed that, no. But I’m guaranteed to now, and probably won’t be able to in-notice it now. I was also shocked to learn that dolt was actually a head coach at one point. And then to learn he hoisted the Cup with Pittsburgh in the early 90’s. No wonder he’s a Penguins knob gobbler. Explains a lot.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1338 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
I haven’t noticed that, no. But I’m guaranteed to now, and probably won’t be able to in-notice it now. I was also shocked to learn that dolt was actually a head coach at one point. And then to learn he hoisted the Cup with Pittsburgh in the early 90’s. No wonder he’s a Penguins knob gobbler. Explains a lot.

Yep, this was what it says on his wiki.

McGuire joined the Hartford Whalers on August 28, 1992, as an assistant coach and on September 8, 1993, became the team's assistant general manager.[17] On November 16, 1993, McGuire was named head coach of the Whalers, replacing Paul Holmgren, who had stepped aside due to frustration with a lack of effort from his players and a desire to focus on his role as the team's general manager.[18] At age 32, McGuire was the youngest head coach in the NHL. Prior to becoming coach of the Whalers, McGuire had never been a head coach at any level. During his six months as Whalers head coach, McGuire coached the team to a 23–37–7 record.[19] McGuire was fired as head coach on May 19, 1994. After the termination, captain Pat Verbeek called it the best thing that could have happened to the Whalers. He said his teammates had no respect for McGuire and that McGuire was mocked by other teams.[20][21] In 1995, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ruled that McGuire would forfeit half of the remaining salary owed to him by the Whalers for providing confidential coaching evaluations to the Edmonton Oilers. These evaluations had been prepared while he was employed by Hartford.[22]

Later career
Following his departure from the Whalers, McGuire became a scout with the Ottawa Senators. On November 22, 1995, he was elevated to the position of assistant coach.[23] On January 23, 1996, McGuire was fired, along with head coach Dave Allison and goaltending coach Chico Resch.[24]

On August 27, 1996, McGuire was named the inaugural head coach of the ECHL's Baton Rouge Kingfish.[25] He was given a three-year contract. McGuire led the team to a 31–33–6 record and a seventh-place finish in the South Division. On July 12, 1997, McGuire exercised an escape clause in his contract to become the radio analyst for CJAD's broadcasts of Montreal Canadiens games.[26]

I'm surprised he still manages to find work in any capacity in the NHL and now we, the country, is now stuck with this guy when it comes to the biggest broadcasts in the country of the NHL games. 

If only local broadcasters get their chance to commentate Cup Finals games for their team instead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1339 on: June 05, 2019, 06:30:31 PM »

NHL Trump
@trump_nhl
 · 23h
The NHL Trump Research Foundation asks the following VERY TOUGH question.

Who is the MOST ANNOYING of the following four hockey individuals?

Enjoy!

------

NHL Trump
@trump_nhl
·
10m
With just A SINGLE HOUR left in my tremendous poll, pitiful Pierre McGuire continues to hold the shameful lead. Even meathead Mike Milbury, who is an incredibly LOW IQ degenerate, may actually be less hated than creepy Pierre. Stunning!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1340 on: June 05, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
Kev, what fucking sewer are you getting these quotes from?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1341 on: June 05, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
Twitter.

Someone posts about the NHL in the writing style of Trump.  Funny stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1342 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1343 on: June 06, 2019, 10:15:36 AM »
If only local broadcasters get their chance to commentate Cup Finals games for their team instead.

In 2012, the LA Kings play-by-play team called the game 6 clincher, and the team eventually released a DVD with that call synched up with the NBC broadcast video.  It's a little odd in that it's missing some of the crowd/ambient sounds, but it's the best freakin thing ever listening to Bob Miller count down the final minute of the Kings first Stanley Cup Championship.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: June 06, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
Grilling burgers in preparation for the game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: June 06, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
Chars not only dressed, but starting!?!??  Not sure if that's inspirational, or idiotic.

Or both.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1346 on: June 06, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »
I bet if a Blues player was coming back from a broken jaw, NBC wouldn't spend half the time they devoted to Chara.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: June 06, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
:clap:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1348 on: June 06, 2019, 06:42:34 PM »
Bruins dress 7 D and sit Backes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: June 06, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Bruins dress 7 D and sit Backes.

Maybe he needs a hug, Tim.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1350 on: June 06, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Whatever it takes. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: June 06, 2019, 06:57:23 PM »
Reputation penalty.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1352 on: June 06, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »
It was a dick move. Blues have to be happy with the first period.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: June 06, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »
Reputation penalty.

It was a fucking spear, man. And yeah... Blues have to be thankful Bennington bailed them out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1354 on: June 06, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »
Both goalies are locked in.

Backes a healthy scratch. :lol :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: June 06, 2019, 07:04:19 PM »
It's the playoffs. I've seen a million worse penalties not called until this year. And your right it is but this year they are calling a ton of penalties and Mush mouth should have known better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: June 06, 2019, 07:04:50 PM »
Both goalies are locked in.

Backes a healthy scratch. :lol :lol :lol

Yup yup.

No surprise.   He's held back the second line.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1357 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:23 PM »
It's the playoffs. I've seen a million worse penalties not called until this year. And your right it is but this year they are calling a ton of penalties and Mush mouth should have known better.

#Garyshmegland

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: June 06, 2019, 07:05:48 PM »
A plus for the Blues that the B's played so well not to score.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: June 06, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

#Garyshmegland

Wait.  I'm not typing in bolded.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: June 06, 2019, 07:20:19 PM »
A plus for the Blues that the B's played so well not to score.

Dammit.  O'Reilly is hot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1361 on: June 06, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
The Bruins are fucked. they're just not doing enough shooting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1362 on: June 06, 2019, 07:40:44 PM »

That's because the Blues are taking it to them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

?? As of this commercial break, they have more shots this game than they did in game 4 ??

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1364 on: June 06, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »

That's because the Blues are taking it to them.

I don't think that at all. It's a good game, but the Bruins simply are not playing desperate enough.

?? As of this commercial break, they have more shots this game than they did in game 4 ??

Most are from the perimeter. Marchand and Krejci passed up opportunities.