Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 93430 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Best of three for Lord Stanley's mug
« Reply #1295 on: June 04, 2019, 02:55:53 PM »
I mean, we got a solid period of shot after shot of Chara on the bench yesterday and the announcers lamenting the fact he wasn't playing. Whatever....

So you're saying if it was Pietrangelo, they wouldn't have done the exact same thing? C'mon, man!

It took several rounds for NBC's on-ice reporter to pronounce Pietrangelo's correctly (and I am still not sure he is, since I have largely tuned him out).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1296 on: June 04, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Persecution complex much?

Hey, I had to double check the spelling myself. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1297 on: June 04, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »

That’s what happens when your team continuously gets treated like that by the broadcast team. Same thing happens to the Rangers. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between the Blues and the Rangers (well up until recently when St. Louis started to get their shit together while the Rangers went into rebuilding mode). That’s probably why I like the Blues so much. They remind me of my team.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1298 on: June 04, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
When have the Rangers ever been treated like shit by NBC? If anything, they've tried to prop them up too much on the telecasts. I mean, there ain't a heck of a lot going on there to talk about, and hasn't been for some time.

I can see Network TV being slow to catch up with reality and they tend to come up with lazy story lines.

Like the Backes/St. Louis one. I cannot believe how much play that has gotten from the network. He's such a non factor.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1299 on: June 04, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
I think he's asking for consistency.  They called every little ticky tack call on both sides in the first 3 games and then the Blues coach speaks up and they let everything go.  I'm fine with most go but be constant.  It's the games coaches play and I get it.  It's a chess match.

That’s what happens when your team continuously gets treated like that by the broadcast team. Same thing happens to the Rangers. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between the Blues and the Rangers (well up until recently when St. Louis started to get their shit together while the Rangers went into rebuilding mode). That’s probably why I like the Blues so much. They remind me of my team.

Count we can't trust you.  You hate everything Boston in sports. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1300 on: June 04, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
This is the result of NBC always featuring the same teams on Sunday afternoon games throughout the years and whatnot.  The top announcing teams know those teams better because those teams (Penguins, Capitals, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, etc.) are always given the primo national games.  And even the East always gets the top announcing team throughout the first three rounds, so to them, the Bruins are a team they know, while the Blues are one of those Western Conference teams they rarely cover and thus no little about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1301 on: June 04, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
This is the result of NBC always featuring the same teams on Sunday afternoon games throughout the years and whatnot.  The top announcing teams know those teams better because those teams (Penguins, Capitals, Blackhawks, Bruins, Flyers, etc.) are always given the primo national games.  And even the East always gets the top announcing team throughout the first three rounds, so to them, the Bruins are a team they know, while the Blues are one of those Western Conference teams they rarely cover and thus no little about.

That I agree with completely. It's the same fucking teams all the time. Caps/Hawks/Rags.

Please give me some Western matchup that does not include Chicago.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1302 on: June 04, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »
NBC SUCKS. I cannot STAND their on-air personalities. Even Emrick, who I used to be able to stand, has become overbearing to me. Mike Milbury is a fucking goon with nothing between his ears but bitterness and cement, Pierre McGuire is honestly one of the worst personalities to represent hockey in my own personal memory, and Olczyck, while being very knowledgeable, doesn't come across as someone I want to listen to talk every other minute. Micheletti, or however you spell his name, isn't terrible, but certainly isn't great. Likewise Keith Jones isn't horrible, but he isn't good, and Roenick.....I didn't like his personality as a player let alone as someone I have to listen to.

I miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. I miss coverage and analysis that was about educating and explaining the game, not selling faux storylines and gimmicks to draw attention. I rewatch old Cup broadcasts from ESPN and ABC with wanton nostalgia. I actually mute the games when McGuire has his bench and on-ice interviews, and I no longer watch between periods.

I know I'm griping for no fucking outcome, but it pisses me off every time I watch a game and remember how much I used to love National Hockey Night, and how this shit is what we have now.

Carry on...
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: June 04, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
NBC SUCKS. I cannot STAND their on-air personalities. Even Emrick, who I used to be able to stand, has become overbearing to me. Mike Milbury is a fucking goon with nothing between his ears but bitterness and cement, Pierre McGuire is honestly one of the worst personalities to represent hockey in my own personal memory, and Olczyck, while being very knowledgeable, doesn't come across as someone I want to listen to talk every other minute. Micheletti, or however you spell his name, isn't terrible, but certainly isn't great. Likewise Keith Jones isn't horrible, but he isn't good, and Roenick.....I didn't like his personality as a player let alone as someone I have to listen to.

I miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. I miss coverage and analysis that was about educating and explaining the game, not selling faux storylines and gimmicks to draw attention. I rewatch old Cup broadcasts from ESPN and ABC with wanton nostalgia. I actually mute the games when McGuire has his bench and on-ice interviews, and I no longer watch between periods.

I know I'm griping for no fucking outcome, but it pisses me off every time I watch a game and remember how much I used to love National Hockey Night, and how this shit is what we have now.

Carry on...

I'm totally with you on Thorne and Clement. Damn, those guys were great.

It's funny what you say about Olczyck. I agree. He is very knowledgeable, but (I can't believe I'm going to do this) I feel like he hates the Bruins. :lol

Emrick is fine. I like Millbury, but can understand why everyone outside of Boston doesn't. I love me some Keith Jones, and the addition of Patrick Sharpe has been excellent.

I'm done with Pierre Maguire. But I feel during these finals that he's been a lot more reserved.

I'll say this, the Bruins had Brian Boucher do all three rounds and I thought he was fantastic. He sounded fresh and had great insights, especially on the goaltending.

How about the NHL Network guys? I've always liked Kevin Weekes, but lately he's turned into the black Pierre Maguire. STFU man!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1304 on: June 04, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »

Therefore the Cinderella storyline...

They are in the business of selling storylines.

Here's the NBC schedule for the past season.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/08/13/your-2018-19-nhl-on-nbc-tv-schedule/

Caps...8 games
Hawks...8 games
Pens..7 games
Rags...5 games
Bruins...5 games
Blues...4 games
Bolts...4 games

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1305 on: June 04, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »
The only one out of all of them that is tolerable is Patrick Sharp. Not only is he one of the only ones who actually knows what he's talking about.....he's about as unbiased as you can get. Near all the others you can 'taste' who they like by what they talk about and how they talk about it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1306 on: June 04, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »
Can Youtube TV give us the option to watch the Canadian feed of NHL games that would be hosted on NBC?

I do feel like I have the NBC broadcasts muted more often than not.  Doc Emrick is all right.  I find Pierre more tolerable than most although I can understand why a lot of people would not stand him.  Both of them emphasizing where players play in college can get overbearing though.  It's like wrestling where Jim Ross used to drop a fact where a wrestler played football for.  I highly doubt the majority of the viewers are really interested where a player played hockey in college, unless that viewer went to the same college.  All of the other hockey personnel on NBC that I'm familiar with (Olczyck, Millbury, Roenick, etc.), I can live without hearing them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1307 on: June 04, 2019, 05:42:35 PM »
Millbury is the worst.  He always sounds cranky and like someone just shit on his hamburger.

Doc Emrick is great; I would never knock him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1308 on: June 04, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
The only one out of all of them that is tolerable is Patrick Sharp. Not only is he one of the only ones who actually knows what he's talking about.....he's about as unbiased as you can get. Near all the others you can 'taste' who they like by what they talk about and how they talk about it.

What is Jones' bias?

I mean, I can't think of any of them that lean a certain way. I guess I'm missing it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:57:41 PM by TAC »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1309 on: June 04, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
Millbury is the worst.  He always sounds cranky and like someone just shit on his hamburger.

Doc Emrick is great; I would never knock him.

I love Emrick.

And I think Millbury is mostly great because he sounds cranky and like someone just shit on his hamburger.

I also desperately miss Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.  Every time I hear highlights from an Orioles game or they show one on MLB Network, it makes me nostalgic for late 90s/early 2000s hockey.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1310 on: June 04, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
Meanwhile, LOL at Backes again.  What a huge crybaby he has become.   He comes off like 'Wah, wah, we didn't get all of the calls for once, so I am going to complain about it."

https://nesn.com/2019/06/david-backes-questions-officiating-after-bruins-game-4-loss-to-blues/

Sounds a lot like how someone(two) was posting last page.  :biggrin:

Oh, thank god for Sportsnet/CBC. I'd listen on mute if I had to watch NBC coverage. At least NBCSports had the brains to hire/borrow at least one of the Canadian broadcast teams (Chris Cuthbert) for the earlier rounds.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1311 on: June 04, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »

Difference being we had/have a legitimate gripe.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: June 04, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1313 on: June 04, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »
So do we about how the officiating changed for game 4.  :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1314 on: June 04, 2019, 07:01:58 PM »
The officiating has been a complete non factor in this series. The best team has won each game. There's general inconsistencies for sure, but the officiating hasn't impacted this series one iota.

That's just ridiculous. I mean, please. That is tired.

The refs have missed calls both ways. They fell for the Bruins embellishing in game 3 and the Blues embellishing in game 4. Again. Non factor. Crying about the refs completely undermines you guys' actual knowledge and ability to have a legitimate hockey conversation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: June 04, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Pfft, you are the one still yapping about the officiating...:P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1316 on: June 04, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »
Not at all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: June 04, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »
So do we about how the officiating changed for game 4.  :neverusethis:

Should have been like that from the start. And there were still two weak calls....one against each team.

The officiating has been a complete non factor in this series. The best team has won each game. There's general inconsistencies for sure, but the officiating hasn't impacted this series one iota.

That's just ridiculous. I mean, please. That is tired.

The refs have missed calls both ways. They fell for the Bruins embellishing in game 3 and the Blues embellishing in game 4. Again. Non factor. Crying about the refs completely undermines you guys' actual knowledge and ability to have a legitimate hockey conversation.

Don’t disagree about the team that should have won the games won the games. Will strongly disagree and politely chuckle at the notion I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to hockey.

Love ya though  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: June 04, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
Gary, Gary, Gary.  You did see the  neverusethis face right? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1319 on: June 04, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »
Will strongly disagree and politely chuckle at the notion I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to hockey.

I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to hockey. I said that and I totally believe it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: June 04, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »
Gary, Gary, Gary.  You did see the  neverusethis face right? :lol

Never use this face? What’s that one. Ha ha

Will strongly disagree and politely chuckle at the notion I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to hockey.

I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to hockey. I said that and I totally believe it. 

You knew that I know you knew I know’d.....so we now know that we both know we know.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1321 on: June 04, 2019, 07:41:44 PM »
Chara is out with a broken jaw.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1322 on: June 04, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »

I’m with Marty regarding Pierre. I don’t mind the rest of the NBC crew that much except Milbury, who’s just always been a dumbass, so hey, let’s give him a microphone!  :loser:  Besides, Kathryn Tappen isn’t some bad eye candy either.

The old Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts were where it was at for me though growing up. We had a satellite dish and tuned in to CBC every Saturday during the season. My dad LOVED Coach’s Corner and Cherry’s brashness. I kinda miss those times...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: June 04, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »
Nothing will ever top Mcguire on TSN on trade day back in '08 and him talking to Darren Dutchyshen - and I quote "you're an announcer with a long stick from time to time :eyebrows:" (the "eyebrows" emote is in the quote purposefully)

https://youtu.be/_i5zXLZHGI4?t=106

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: June 04, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
Chara is out with a broken jaw.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: June 04, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »
Speaking of long sticks... if it wasn't for Chara's, maybe his jaw would be intact.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: June 04, 2019, 08:52:59 PM »
Tim, link?

I assume he is but I haven't seen a report that says it's official yet.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1327 on: June 04, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Chara isn't that good anyway.  I can't remember a finals where I could say neither of the two captains were among the best players on their respective teams.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1328 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
Nothing will ever top Mcguire on TSN on trade day back in '08 and him talking to Darren Dutchyshen - and I quote "you're an announcer with a long stick from time to time :eyebrows:" (the "eyebrows" emote is in the quote purposefully)

https://youtu.be/_i5zXLZHGI4?t=106

I’ve watched that a few times before, and every time, I get uncomfortable myself seeing how close he’s standing to Darren. Then *that* line comes out of his mouth, and I have to wonder, “Is he on a registry somewhere?” Lesser things have qualified as sexual harassment in the workplace. It’s hilarious how as soon as Darren says, “Long stick,” the eyebrows shoot up like Gronkowski’s do if he heard the number 69.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: June 05, 2019, 05:11:47 AM »
Quote from: KevShmev link=top3ic=52793.msg2556795#msg2556795 date=1559703256
Chara isn't that good anyway.  I can't remember a finals where I could say neither of the two captains were among the best players on their respective teams.

The problem is that puts us to our 9th in the depth chart for the Defenseman