Author Topic: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Free agents - frenzy and feast  (Read 91463 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I see Chara is back for the third period. Maybe Patrice Bergeron will join him after sitting out the first 40 minutes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Big response by the Blues tonight. Both Blues wins were games where the Bruins lost a D-man for the last two periods. That's been a huge advantage for their forecheckers who were already effective as it was.

Bruins who were basically inactive tonight:

Bergeron
Pastrnak
Kuraly
Debrusk
Heinen
Krejci
Backes

Ryan O'Reilly went beast mode tonight.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Nice win Boys! Now let’s take the next one in Boston.

14 down 2 to go.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice win Boys! Now let’s take the next one in Boston.

I have the Blues winning Game 5 and the Bruins winning Game 6.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
You high brah.  No way B's lose game 5. 

I also called it a 7 game series so....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Blues earned that one.  3rd period domination.

Best of 3 for the Cup.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, that was my prediction. They'd split in each city.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Civil War Schwartz
@GenSchwartz
·
2m
Beloved

Our city has never experienced a summer's victory, tonight our forces led by Col. O'Reilly have chased the barbaric invaders from our home land.

We give chase, heading north east we expect heavy resistance

Yours
Jaden
#STLBlues

Bayonets!!! :metal :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that was my prediction. They'd split in each city.

Yep. You nailed that one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Blues earned that one.  3rd period domination.

Best of 3 for the Cup.

Last 10 minutes, 1 shot for the B's.  Domination for sure.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Amazing how a team that looked so bad 48 hours ago can turn around and bitch-slap their opponents the way they did.  Could've been a 7-2 win by the Blues if not for Rask (and a crossbar).  Vince Dunn - for only played 12ish minutes - had a big impact.  Blues get a key d-man back, while the Bruins lose another.  If Chara is a scratch, and Grzlecyk is likely to be, that's gonna be a big weight for McIvoy and Krug to carry.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official 2018-2019 NHL Thread - v. Best of three for Lord Stanley's mug
« Reply #1271 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
Yeah, but Joe already said there's no way the Bruins lose Game 5 at home, so we might as well start looking ahead to Game 6... :P

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1272 on: June 03, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
Huge win for the Blues tonight, but now is not the time to savor the victory. The Bruins are gonna play their asses off to defend their home ice in Game 5, so you boys better do the same. I can’t even imagine what the Enterprise Center would sound like with the potential to clinch a Stanley Cup victory, but I would love to find out.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: June 04, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »
Yeah, but Joe already said there's no way the Bruins lose Game 5 at home, so we might as well start looking ahead to Game 6... :P

Lock of the day. Lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: June 04, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »
Huge win for the Blues tonight, but now is not the time to savor the victory. The Bruins are gonna play their asses off to defend their home ice in Game 5, so you boys better do the same. I can’t even imagine what the Enterprise Center would sound like with the potential to clinch a Stanley Cup victory, but I would love to find out.

Agreed.  I don't see a scenario where Boston doesn't win game 7... so they better win tonight so they can have a chance on Sunday.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: June 04, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »

Agreed.  I don't see a scenario where Boston doesn't win game 7... so they better win tonight so they can have a chance on Sunday.

Thursday.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: June 04, 2019, 06:54:21 AM »
In each series they've played the Blues have gotten better....I don't see that trend changing. I think last night's game was Bostons chance to put the nail in the coffin. I told multiple people yesterday that I thought the winner of last nights game wins the series and I still believe that.

Obviously I'm saying this with a grain of 'hope' embedded in there because it's my team....but they've held Bostons top line to (1) pt at even strength (an empty netter) and although I don't see them completely being shut down the rest of the way I also don't see them breaking out again like that penalty fueled outburst they had in game 2.

If Chara is out on Thursday I think you're going to see what we already saw last night. The heavy play of the Blues will just continue to wear down Boston.....this is the same game plan the Blues have used every round and it's worked. There's nothing fancy about it. Plus, our top guys are performing so that's a plus.

Not suggesting that this is all over and that is that for the Bruins. Clearly they're a great team. But again, I think they missed their chance to crush the Blues will. Joe thinks game 5 is a 'lock' for the Bruins......let's not forget that the Blues have been just as deadly on the road these playoffs......I think Game 5 is a game the Blues take to send it home for game 6 up 3-2.

It's going to be exciting!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1277 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:28 AM »
I told multiple people yesterday that I thought the winner of last nights game wins the series and I still believe that.

I agree. This is how I felt before the game.

If Chara is out on Thursday I think you're going to see what we already saw last night. The heavy play of the Blues will just continue to wear down Boston.....

Other than a physical and leadership presence, Chara being out might actually be a blessing in disguise. He's been skating in cement this series. It's not like he has been effective. Sanford schooled him in Game 3. The key for the B's D is that all 6 actually finish the game. If Grzelcyk can come back and replace Chara, I believe that's actually a good thing.

Before the series, I actually had the Home teams losing games 5 and 6. But Game 5 is a Must Win for the Bruins, and I don't necessarily feel that way about the Blues.

Hopefully with 2 days off between games from here on out, it allows Bergeron to better manage whatever his injury is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1278 on: June 04, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »
I agree that Game 5 is a near must-win for Boston.  If the Blues win that game and can win the Cup in Game 6 at home...I am not guaranteeing victory, but I would be pretty confident.

If it goes to a Game 7, it is anybody's game.  The Blues are 8-3 on the road in the playoffs, so I do not agree with Chad's statement about there not being a scenario where Boston would lose Game 7 at home.  The Blues have shown that they are as good or better than the Bruins when it is 5 on 5, so they just have to stack out of the box...and stop drawing Boston penalties. :lol :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: June 04, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
Couple fun facts. Blues are 4-0 in the (4) games they’ve given up a short handed goal. And their PP percentage of 11.7% matches the PP percentage of the Stanley Cup winning Boston Bruins when they won the cup in 11’

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
Here's why I say the Blues won't win a game 7.

A) Blues win Thursday and lose Sunday.  Just like Rd 1 vs Leafs, the Bruins are NOT going to lose 3 home games, and in this scenario, they come home having just beat the Blues on their home ice.
B) Blues lose Thursday, and win Sunday.  The trend is that each team alternates games where they out-perform the other... which means Game 7 would be the one for Boston to out-perform.

This series feels eerily similar to the Bs/Leafs - where each vastly outplays the other for their victory thru the first 4 games.  Blues better come out hammering them on Thursday, cuz Boston has been just as good as the Blues at bouncing back after a loss.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1281 on: June 04, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »
Except that the Blues are far better than a team (Leafs) that couldn't get out of the first round. ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: June 04, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
Well, The Blues have been impressive with their defensive play when the other team has the puck.  They close in so fast that there is no time to look to make a play and they've been beating the B's to the puck in their 2 wins.  That's how they have to win.  3 -2 tough defensive play and bide your time to get timely goals.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: June 04, 2019, 09:21:11 AM »
Here's why I say the Blues won't win a game 7.

A) Blues win Thursday and lose Sunday.  Just like Rd 1 vs Leafs, the Bruins are NOT going to lose 3 home games, and in this scenario, they come home having just beat the Blues on their home ice.
B) Blues lose Thursday, and win Sunday.  The trend is that each team alternates games where they out-perform the other... which means Game 7 would be the one for Boston to out-perform.

This series feels eerily similar to the Bs/Leafs - where each vastly outplays the other for their victory thru the first 4 games.  Blues better come out hammering them on Thursday, cuz Boston has been just as good as the Blues at bouncing back after a loss.

While these are good points....the 'x' factor is that the Blues have played (3) really good, tough teams to get where they're at and build a level of confidence. Wheras.....and no offense to the Leafs......Boston hasn't had to play a really tough team yet with the resolve and resources like the Blues possess.

Boston cold very well win the next two games......but in the same breath so could the Blues. I think the longer the series goes the advantage needle swings towards the Blues side. Just my opinion based off of watching this team. This is the part of the season where the intangibles start to play a role and the Blues IMO have more of the intangibles.

They're 'hungry' for the Cup whereas Boston may have the cup experience but I don't think that can match the appetite for your 'first' cup. They have the 'story' behind them of last place to Cup Finals.....they have a group of guys who's had an 'us against the world' attitude sine January and especially in the playoffs where you couldn't write the BS calls and non calls that they've had to overcome.

Listen...i write all of this as a massive 'homer' and out of just wanting to see them hoist the cup......but it doesn't make any of it less true. I truly believe Boston missed their chance last night to win the cup. It's the Blues to lose at this point IMO whereas before last nights game it was Bostons to lose.

As far as Boston not losing three home games.....Blues beat Winnipeg three times in Winnipeg.....a place where they nearly never lost....an environment that most all agree is/was one of the most hostile road environments around....so I'm not convinced that the Blues can't do the same to Boston. Plus, I don't think they'll have to. I don't see how they'd crap the bed should they come home with a 3-2 series lead.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1284 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »

While these are good points....the 'x' factor is that the Blues have played (3) really good, tough teams to get where they're at and build a level of confidence. Wheras.....and no offense to the Leafs......Boston hasn't had to play a really tough team yet

HUH??

The Blues played 3 tough teams and the Bruins played marshmallows?

Let's look at this closer...

The Bruins beat:
Toronto...100 pts
Columbus...98
Carolina...99
Ave..99

The Blues beat:
Winnipeg..99
Dallas..93
San Jose..101
Ave..97

The best team the Bruins and Blues played so far (until each other)were their first round matchups. Columbus had just toasted the Lightning.

I said this before the series:

So, I think the Blues are excellent, as are the Bruins, but both had cakewalks in the Conference Finals. Both teams better be ready to step it up for the Finals.

People act like Pavelski and Karlsson were done in by the Blues. Pavelski was never really recovered from the shot against the Knights, and Karlsson had been hobbled all year. The Sharks flat out quit once it was clear that those guys were out.

To insinuate that the Blues had a tougher road than the Bruins is nothing more than homerism. Maybe they did..slightly. Maybe they didn't..slightly.

.Boston hasn't had to play a really tough team yet with the resolve and resources like the Blues possess.

I agree. But neither have the Blues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 11:18:28 AM by TAC »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: June 04, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
Good points Tim. I’m not suggesting it was a cake walk for Boston, I personally think Winnipeg and Dallas were tougher draws than Toronto / Columbus though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1286 on: June 04, 2019, 11:24:28 AM »
I don't know. I think you're selling Columbus short. As did the President's Cup winning Lightning.

I mean, I'm going to puke if I hear that "This team was in last place on Jan 3rd." The main reason that was was that they hated playing for their clown of a coach, who I will be shocked if he gets another job anytime soon. And they improved the goaltending, and they just may ride Binnington  Cam Ward style all the way to a Cup.

The Blues should've had the first seed coming out of the West straight up. I feel like people like to paint the Blues as some sort of Cinderella story, which is totally ridiculous. They are the deepest and most evenly built team in the West. When they want to play, they can beat anyone, which is something I usually say about the Bruins.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: June 04, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
Um ... really not sure what the Leafs 'didn't make it out of the 1st round' comment is supposed to imply. They ran into the team that has come out of the east, and gave them the toughest run of anyone so far. Hard to understand how that makes them a lesser team than the Blues.

@ TAC - agree with that post entirely. I believe I heard that CBJ and Carolina were the two best teams in the league after the trade deadline.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1288 on: June 04, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
I mean, I'm going to puke if I hear that "This team was in last place on Jan 3rd." The main reason that was was that they hated playing for their clown of a coach, who I will be shocked if he gets another job anytime soon. And they improved the goaltending, and they just may ride Binnington  Cam Ward style all the way to a Cup.

The Blues should've had the first seed coming out of the West straight up. I feel like people like to paint the Blues as some sort of Cinderella story, which is totally ridiculous. They are the deepest and most evenly built team in the West. When they want to play, they can beat anyone, which is something I usually say about the Bruins.

Horse hockey. (See what I did there?)

Regardless of talent, when you go from being the worst team in the league to the Cup finals five months later, that is an amazing story, no matter how you want to play it.

Um ... really not sure what the Leafs 'didn't make it out of the 1st round' comment is supposed to imply. 

It was a sarcastic jab on my part, hence the emoticon that followed.  :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
I feel like people like to paint the Blues as some sort of Cinderella story, which is totally ridiculous. They are the deepest and most evenly built team in the West.

Well the National Coverage they've received in every round they've played thus far they've been the red headed step child to whatever team they've played. Meaning, the focus of the coverage has been on Winnipeg, Dallas, SJ and now Boston. It's comical at this point how invested NBC has been in the 'other' team that StL has been playing. It's been pretty annoying actually but at this point Blues fans are used to it. I mean, we got a solid period of shot after shot of Chara on the bench yesterday and the announcers lamenting the fact he wasn't playing. Whatever....

Like Kev said.....it's a "cinderella" story because they were dead last in the league 4 months before the playoffs started then went on a streak that was awesome to see. Regardless of whether they wanted to play for a coach or not....being good on paper means nothing....it's how you perform. They weren't performing....they were atrocious and it's a testament to Berube and the players that they developed the mindset they did and made the playoffs.

The cup is up for grabs at this point and I don't think there's a 'favorite' right now with three games to play. You can argue Boston because they have two home games but as we've seen home games haven't been guaranteed wins. It's truly going to come down to which team wants it more and who executes. I'll take my chances with the way StL is playing and their history in these playoffs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1290 on: June 04, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
Meanwhile, LOL at Backes again.  What a huge crybaby he has become.   He comes off like 'Wah, wah, we didn't get all of the calls for once, so I am going to complain about it."

https://nesn.com/2019/06/david-backes-questions-officiating-after-bruins-game-4-loss-to-blues/

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: June 04, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »
Meanwhile, LOL at Backes again.  What a huge crybaby he has become.   He comes off like 'Wah, wah, we didn't get all of the calls for once, so I am going to complain about it."

https://nesn.com/2019/06/david-backes-questions-officiating-after-bruins-game-4-loss-to-blues/

Old age has not treated him well. He's so cranky and whiny now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1292 on: June 04, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »

Old age has not treated him well. He's so cranky and whiny now.

It's kinda understandable.  After years of being unable to lead a team really anywhere, he is now hoping to get his name on the Cup by being a decent role player on an otherwise great team and he is getting pissy because it's not as easy as he thought it would be this round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1293 on: June 04, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »
I mean, we got a solid period of shot after shot of Chara on the bench yesterday and the announcers lamenting the fact he wasn't playing. Whatever....

So you're saying if it was Pietrangelo, they wouldn't have done the exact same thing? C'mon, man!

So if a team UNDERPERFORMS  for the first half of the year, and then start to play to their capabilities, that makes them a Cinderella story?

Playing the No Respect card is obviously working for the team and you guys. Geez, you'd think Belichick was coaching the Blues.

Hey, I recognize what the Blues are. They were the ONE team I didn't want to see from the West, and that's what I thought BEFORE the playoffs. They have been a fucking freight train destroying all in their path. Cinderella? Only to people that haven't been paying attention. NBC has been selling that to the nation of uninformed. If supporting that works for you guys, then fine. But I think it's gamesmanship, because it's not reality.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1294 on: June 04, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
It's kinda understandable.  After years of being unable to lead a team really anywhere, he is now hoping to get his name on the Cup by being a decent role player on an otherwise great team and he is getting pissy because it's not as easy as he thought it would be this round.

This scenario kinda reminds me of Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla (Jebus, how did he get such a long birth name?).  From what I read, he carried the Flames for years and reached a point where he leaped to a few teams that looked like cup contenders (Penguins, Bruins, Kings) and it didn't pan out for him in the end and retired with no cup.  At least, Iginla, from what I read, was a relatively class act.