Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30423 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #490 on: November 27, 2019, 09:29:05 AM »
As of now, my next concert confirmed is Greta Van Fleet at the end of the year, but a few I am interested in and will see if I can make:

November 29th - Chon, Between The Buried and Me, Intervals @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ - With my parents and friends home for the holidays, this may not be possible but if nothing is going on, I may check this out.

December 14th - Thank You Scientist @ Mercury Loung, New York City NY - I come home from Denver this afternoon, if I get in on time and feel up to it, I'd love to check them out as I just got their latest album and really enjoy it.  Just may not be possible to make this due to a flight that day.

Between The Buried and Me played a great show, I just wish they were the headliner so they could play more songs. I just didn't like CHON so I left early.

Thank You Scientist was amazing. I brought my 6 year old so we had to leave maybe a little past the halfway point of the setlist but it was so worth it. I left the show thinking Anchor was the best live song for me this year. the opening band Teat Time was also decent. I didn't care for Bent Knee.

I would've went just to see CHON and Bent Knee.

I wish these tours would've came here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline earlilano

« Reply #491 on: November 28, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
^^ Were you the one wearing the DT Scenes from A Memory t-shirt, because I spotted someone in line wearing that shirt at that show?

Yup, that was me. When I saw your shirt I was tempted to ask if you were on the DTforums.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: November 28, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »
Seeing Beyond the Black tomorrow for my final concert of this year and not going to lie, I'm excited! Been listening to their three albums for these past two weeks. Hopefully I manage to get to the first row.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: November 29, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
Nice, I recommended Beast in Black to my friend and somehow he ended up listening to Beyond the black and really liked it, recommended it right back at me but I have yet to listen.

My local concert venue is doing their black friday two for one ticket sales today.  Scooped up Streetlight Manifesto for Decmber 20th, and while these are 2019, I also got Queensryche with John 5 and Sleeping with Sirens.  I can sell my extra ticket for face value and essentially just got myself a cheap ticket for each of those shows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: November 29, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
I really want to see The Squirrel Nut Zippers this December for their Christmas show but It's a mighty busy time to do so. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: November 29, 2019, 02:18:52 PM »
Already in Jersey for Intervals, Chon and BTBAM tonight  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
Already in Jersey for Intervals, Chon and BTBAM tonight  :metal

Nice, my grade school friend who lives in San Fran is in town tonight so a bunch of us are chilling and I'm not going to go to this show.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: November 29, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
Nice, I recommended Beast in Black to my friend and somehow he ended up listening to Beyond the black and really liked it, recommended it right back at me but I have yet to listen.

They're like... very stock symphonic metal with great melody hooks. I can give you a few great tracks if you'd like to.

Honestly I've been pretty jaded with all the prog all the time, this should be amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #498 on: November 29, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
Sure, it sounds up my alley and my friend has similar music tastes so a recommendation from him seems legit.  I just don't recall seeing them talked about here and have never really heard of them before.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: November 30, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
Hell, man. Talk about wrapping up the year with a damn flourish. Beyond the Black were awesome, beyond belief really. Damn! I haven't enjoyed a concert this much in a while. Just fantastic all around.

Photos, PM to cram and in-depth thoughts are coming up when I crash home, currently typing this at a bus stop

edit: okay maybe tomorrow, I loved the gig though, it was awesome but I'm tired as hell
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:59:27 PM by Evermind »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #500 on: December 05, 2019, 05:12:14 PM »
Well, managed to get to see some shows in December, thanks to some below face value tickets on Stubhub.  Under $25.00 for the show at the Observatory and under $33.00 for a nosebleed far back and center seat at the Honda Center.

The Hu - The Observatory - Santa Ana, CA.  December 5th, 2019.
KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas featuring Cage the Elephant, Beck, Jimmy Eat World, Angels and Airwaves, and more - Honda Center - Anaheim, CA.  December 7th, 2019.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: December 05, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
Nice, I was just thinking the other day about the KROW show last year.  It actually featured 3 bands of 3 brothers each.  How crazy is that?  Greta Van Fleet, AJR, and The Interrupters.  I ended up seeing all of those bands this year and that KROQ show was my first time seeing those three.  I guess you can say that festival had some lasting music impressions on me.  I really don't know anything about the bands playing this year, (although Ive seen Jimmy Eat World a couple times and not really a fan) but I'm sure you will have fun.  Non stop music for 6+ hours is a fun time.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #502 on: December 05, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »
Just got back from seeing one of my favorite bands of the last 30 years, The Nixons at a small venue called The Stanhope House.  They're touring for the first time in 20 years (all 4 original members).  Unfortunately, the drummer missed the show tonight.  He's also the drummer in Seether who had a show, too.  So, his son filled in for him.  Apparently, he's also a pretty competent drummer.  They put on a great show which included 2 of the 3 new songs they've put out in 2019. 

It's a short tour they're doing with Sponge.  But, if they're in your area, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.  The tix are pretty cheap, too. 

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #503 on: December 06, 2019, 08:32:11 AM »
Been to Opeth  and Rival Sons last month and tonight this years last concert by Marillion and friends

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #504 on: December 06, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
So I saw The Hu along with Crown Lands in Santa Ana, yesterday.  I had a good night. 

Crown Lands was an interesting opener to me.  They looked like guys that is part of the group of young bands that looks to emulate classic rock bands (see Greta Van Fleet and Dirty Honey).  However, the band they choose to wear their influences on looked to be Rush, particularly 70s Rush.  They are from Ontario, Canada and they choose Closer to the Heart as their intro tape music.  There was only two guys, a guitarist and a drummer and the drummer is the vocalist.  The vocalist sounded and made gestures like Robert Plant as well in one particular song and I thought to myself, "Did I somehow magically go back in time 45 years ago?  Because, I know I'm not in 2019 with this certain lighting of the stage and all."  Oddly enough, for some reason, the drum sound was shockingly on the low end of the volume during a song and the roadie acted fast to make sure that gets fixed and the band didn't break stride at all. They kept playing as well as they could have in that spot and the crowd cheered when the drum volume was fixed and the crowd liked their set.  I liked it a good amount as well.  Nice to see a more younger band pick Rush as one of their influence.

The Hu was honestly pretty good.  This show was part of I believe their first tour ever in the states and the Observatory was packed.  It had around 500 people.  There was 8 guys on stage.  Two guitarist (although one guitarist had quite a unique shape for his guitar.  Don't know if it is a customarily crafted guitar that suited the Mongolian culture), a drummer, another drummer that has some interesting looking drums, two guys with stringed instruments, a bassist, and the vocalist that played the flute in some parts.  They had like seven mics on stage and they were harmonizing well with their throat singing style. I don't know how the heck you can throat sing in an 80 or so minute set and not kill your voice.  If you are able to do that for many years, you can go far with that style.

The band played great.  They looked genuinely happy to be in Southern California in a city that's not really a high populated city like LA or Anaheim.  The crowd was really into them.  The crowd looked to be more leaning towards the side of the heavier metal fans.  I stayed back thankfully, because the show had a big pit going at times in the center of the rail and despite not knowing any lyrics since it was all in Mongolian, people were really into them.  It also helps that The Hu had an easy "HU! HU! HU!" chant with the fists up to get people into it.  I was standing next to an older women that saw them in San Diego and is already thinking about traveling to Mongolia to see them in the future.  The band also had a lot of mileage of a setlist.  Going for like 80 minutes on like one album and a few other songs and they played their big track that's been on Octane from time to time "Yuve Yuve Yu" twice.  Figs man, they actually did a better job having a longer setlist with not that many songs than I've seen bands (that's billed as a single headliner) with like 5 albums and they only give us 70 minutes of a headlining set.

I'm glad I've spent the $25.00 on Stubhub to see them.  Nice to see an emerging promising band when they are starting out on their first tour in the states.  For me, their uniqueness in sound, look, and the instruments they used that goes with their Mongolian culture sets them apart from the drivel of new bands that I hear on Octane.  I can see them going far and it's would be nice to say that if they do make it big, I can say that I was there when they were playing in a enthusiastic room that held 500 people on their first US tour ever.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:38:32 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: December 10, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »
The Hu remind me of my friends band while he was in college, it was instrumental prog metal with an erhu. 

Anyway, I'm in Denver and apparently it's a two night "Slackfest" for the ska band The Slackers.  Each night doing a by request set.  I hardly know them at all, they are a bit old school ska closer to reggae.  However, a 2 day pass was 35 and a one day was 30.  I bought a 2 day, give myself some options here, but it seems I'm definitely going tonight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: December 11, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
Might as well go back, I had fun last night.  I'd say there was no more than 200 people there, but they played for about 2 hours just taking requests from the crowd too which was cool.  I guess it wasn't a predetermined set and they just went with the flow.  Either way, felt like old times with the skanking going on and the local show vibe it had.  Hung outside with a bunch of people who all smoked together, including the opening band.  Just a cool hang out if nothing else, but the music while not metal or even rock, it was really enjoyable.

The Slackers - Rude and Reckless (by request) Live @ Bluebird Theater Denver

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #507 on: December 12, 2019, 09:22:17 AM »
Going to see...
The Tea Club, Bent Knee, and Thank You Scientist tonight. Last show of 2019 for me.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #508 on: December 12, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Going to see...
The Tea Club, Bent Knee, and Thank You Scientist tonight. Last show of 2019 for me.

I'm hoping to make the show Saturday.  Flight lands at 4:20pm and I need to go home which is out of the way first, so if flight is on time and I feel up to it (work is kicking my ass this week and tomorrow will be the busiest of the week) I may actually be able to make it.  Listening to TYS right now and that show is the last of the tour so it will probably be really fun. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #509 on: December 12, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Going to see...

I'm hoping to make the show Saturday.  Flight lands at 4:20pm and I need to go home which is out of the way first, so if flight is on time and I feel up to it (work is kicking my ass this week and tomorrow will be the busiest of the week) I may actually be able to make it.  Listening to TYS right now and that show is the last of the tour so it will probably be really fun.
I saw Bent Knee and Thank You Scientist is June and it was a lot of fun. Tonight's show is in a seated 230 seat venue and its a great little venue.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: December 14, 2019, 04:45:42 PM »
Solid flight home today even with this crap weather here in NJ, regardless, on the train heading into NYC for Thank You Scientist and Bent Knee. Will miss Tea Party but should see most of Bent Knee. From the horns of the Slackers in Denver to the horns of TYS in NYC  :yarr and next week I'll see the horns of Streetlight Manifesto. Great week for brass instruments.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »
Posted this in the iamthemorning thread but thought I should put it here too.

If you are in Japan, The Flower Kings will do two shows there early next year.... they are on fire so I recommend that you go

-------------

Had a fantastic time at the last show of the The Flower Kings, iamthemorning and Rickard Sjöblom tour on saturday.

Fantastic night out in Stockholm, first a meet up with 15 other progressive music lovers talking over a dinner at O'Leary's and then a concert with three fantastic acts.

First Rickard Sjöblom with Marjana Semkinas guitar playing some Beardfish and Gungfly songs. Then he is joined by Jonas Reingold for a Big Big Train song. And then Roine Stolt, Zack Kamins and Mirkko de Maio join in for Björn Json Linds Brusa högre lilla å..... beautiful

Then comes iamthemorning, the Russian duo Marjana Semkina and Gleb Kolyadin who on this tour were accompanied by the amazing Evan Carson and a Cello player that I did not get the name of. Utterly spellbinding show, though too short. Hope they come back in the near future.
I think they got a better reception than they had expected, the cheers did not want to end.

And The Flower Kings.... probably the best concert I have seen with them so far. Stardust We are..... so great!!!
Also great to see Hasse Bruniusson guesting on The Truth Will Set You Free.
And as a closer everyone comes up on stage and does The Beatles song Long and Winding Road.

Wow..... marvellous concert

I have plugged Evan Carsons album Ocipinski on FB tagging him.
He recognised me at the front of the audience and came up to me after the iamthemorning gig, took my hand and thanked me for all the support. 

After the show I got Ocipinski signed by both Evan and Gleb and got a very nice chat with them both covering lot's of ground, espescially interresting to hear some of their plans for the future.
I also talked a bit to Marjana.

Photos and videos:
https://m.facebook.com/martin.sandberg.334/albums/2004888839647174/?ref=bookmarks

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #512 on: December 17, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
Been on a live horn kick lately, last week saw old school ska band The Slackers in Denver, then Saturday I saw Thank You Scientist in NYC and this Friday is a newer ska band Streetlight Manifesto locally in NJ for another yearly home town show.  They are doing two nights, one of older songs and one night of new songs.  I am currently only going to the older songs (friday) show but I may go Thursday as well since I'm off from work.  This music is always so fun live, plus being a hometown show, it's going to have lots of energy.

Fun fact, I was chatting with the Viernes 13 singer (they opened for The Slackers, ska band from southern Cali) and asked him who is favorite band is.  He said Streetlight Manifesto and had never seen them before.  Makes me feel fortunate to have such good local NJ music (Thank You Scientist is also local) and that I am privileged to be able to see all these bands. 

And last show of the year will be a road trip to Philly, so here's how 2019 is ending  :metal:

December 20th - Streetlight Manifesto @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 30th - Greta Van Fleet @ The Met Philly, Philadelphia PA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: December 20, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
Went to the show last night.  SO much fun.  They bring one of the most energetic shows I can think of.  Being a hometown gig helps, I was surprised how many young people were there.  I may have been the oldest.  Heard some talk waiting to get in about people's first time seeing a concert.  My first concert was a ska band, Less Than Jake, at the same venue (It is now called Starland Ballroom, used to be called Hunka Bunka Ballroom back in 1998) so I know the feeling of these younger folks. 

Ever since I dropped some weight, I've really enjoyed going into the mosh pits.  It's been a fun way to exercise, have fun, and really get into the show with people.  I was in the pit for about 4 or 5 songs and was absolutely drenched in sweat (my shirt from last night is still wet) and exhausted.  It was so much fun and so wild.  Very friendly pit for ska music, but very energetic for this band. 

Looking forward to night 2, they played lots of rarer stuff last night from the "old stuff" and tonight is supposed to be "new stuff".  I hope we see a new song, we'll see.  Another cool thing, on the way out, they handed out a free 3 song live CD titled "Dear New Jersey, Thank You" a nice gesture from the bands to their local and loyal fans.  :yarr

Streetlight Manifesto - That'll Be The Day

In other news, I had a Thank You Scientist video of Terraformer and the band themselves took it down with a copy right claim and strike on my youtube channel (WTF, the first time this has happened after over 500 concert videos).  What a bummer, video was awesome, they sounded great, but apparently the band doesn't want people sharing their music.  Specifically saying "we feel like it’s a poor representation." when I reached out to the band to reconsider.   >:(  I think the video got a few compliments before it's takedown.  I think it would have helped them get exposure as I shared it a bunch of places (DTF Discord, Reddit, Facebook).  Oh well, kind of sours me on the band and I definitely won't be traveling 2 hours each way to see them again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: December 21, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »
My body is not happy with me, besides two good workouts the last two days, two nights in the huge pit and I've got some aches and pains today  :lol I'm getting old, but it was so worth it.  SO MUCH FUN.  I can't say much more about how amazing these two nights were with Streetlight Manifesto.  Spent my morning combining footage from both nights into one long video:

Streetlight Manifesto Live Back 2 Back Nights @ Starland Ballroom NJ

Such a wild crowd for this band.

one more show to close out 2019 with Greta Van Fleet!  Their rescheduling of this show from earlier this fall has worked out nicely for me!  I'll be on the floor  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #515 on: December 30, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
Ugh so upset, I've been sick the last couple days and still not feeling good today.  Had to sell my Greta Van Fleet ticket, that wasn't a local concert and would take way too much effort and risk me being sick for even longer.  Sad way to end what was otherwise an AMAZING 2019 concert year for me.  I plan on making a Top 10 Concert Moments of 2019 video soon, but I think my count sits at 59 concerts now  :'(

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #516 on: December 30, 2019, 11:50:34 PM »
I just got back from seeing Greta Van Fleet at the Metropolitan Opera House in Philadelphia.  First off, the opener, Aaron Lee Tasjan, was a pleasant surprise.  He fronted a traditional 3-piece (singer/guitarist, bassist, drummer).  He had a Tom Petty vibe going.  He played about 7-8 songs.  Next was GVF.  I have to admit, I've loved their musicianship.  Haven't been the biggest fan of the vocalist.  A little (or a lot) too much of a Robert Plant rip-off.  I mean, how many times can a 23-year-old vocalist throw the word "mama" into a song?!?  Anyway, back to GVF.  They were fantastic!  Josh's pipes were in fine form all night long.  They played a 12-song set, complete with some extended jams and a solo section for each instrumentalist.  My wife really wanted to see them and got the tix.  I'm glad she did because it was a great show.