Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30425 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »
Let me know if you do, maybe I'd go.  Right now, I'm not since I spent enough money on these two shows (LA is like 3 times as expensive as NYC, Billy himself commented on his surprise of the huge response in LA compared to the sales in NYC on instagram today), but it was a really good show and such a cool setting (however Gramercy Theater is not a nice venue like Lodge Room was).  He said he plans on having different guests at shows too, so while it's no guarantee, I'd guess someone will make an appearance at one or multiple NYC shows.

Also, about him being a dick, he's definitely got a bad reputation, but if you ever listen to an interview, he always comes off as very genuine.  I think the whole death of the keyboardist thing really haunts his reputation for not stopping the tour.  He told a story about a journalist asking about why he's a tyrant  :lol 

Honestly, everything I experienced from him this week, makes me feel he's a good guy at heart but maybe too sincere and a bit awkward.  Including the point and smile at me last night.  I think he just recognized me as being "the camera man" from two nights.  Like I said, small venue, intimate, he could easily see and talk to me in the back of the room if he had wanted to.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2019, 09:10:09 PM »
Well, thanks to Groupon once again, I found myself going to yet another Christmas concert.  This time it will be in the form of a Lindsey Stirling show in her Warmer In The Winter Christmas Tour.  Cost me $35.00 in a good spot in the 100s section.  I've saw her show in Costa Mesa and whilst it was a good show, it was a bit on the shorter side with it lasting only 75 minutes and I don't think her Christmas show will be any longer.  Still, seeing her deliver some Christmas songs in her own twists along with the choreography and visuals in a Christmas setting should make it unique enough for me to make the drive to 90+ minute drive in weekday evening traffic to Ontario.

Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In The Winter Christmas show - Toyota Arena - Ontario, CA.  November 21st, 2019.

So, that makes it two Christmas shows for me in the Toyota Arena in Ontario in a 9 day span.  Fun holiday cheer will be have in non-snowing California.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2019, 01:53:26 AM »
Well, thanks to Groupon once again, I found myself going to yet another Christmas concert.  This time it will be in the form of a Lindsey Stirling show in her Warmer In The Winter Christmas Tour.  Cost me $35.00 in a good spot in the 100s section.  I've saw her show in Costa Mesa and whilst it was a good show, it was a bit on the shorter side with it lasting only 75 minutes and I don't think her Christmas show will be any longer.  Still, seeing her deliver some Christmas songs in her own twists along with the choreography and visuals in a Christmas setting should make it unique enough for me to make the drive to 90+ minute drive in weekday evening traffic to Ontario.

Lindsey Stirling's Warmer In The Winter Christmas show - Toyota Arena - Ontario, CA.  November 21st, 2019.

So, that makes it two Christmas shows for me in the Toyota Arena in Ontario in a 9 day span.  Fun holiday cheer will be have in non-snowing California.

Hopefully the fixed the sound in that Ontario venue. I've had a couple of bad experiences with that venue.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: November 08, 2019, 05:26:19 AM »
Back from Incubus from Asheville. They were on fire last night, amazing set list and Brandon and Co sounded great. What was strange was the theater was only 60% full. There were people scattered all around so it looked more full than it really is but I was in the Orchestra section and my row had me and two other people in it. The three rows in front of me were completly empty. I ended up moved from 18th row to 11th throughout the concert.

I'm now looking for tickets for the December show in Charlotte.

Online faizoff

« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
Sadly had to sell my Tool tickets for the DC date, plans changed and I was no longer going to be in the area during the concert time. Pretty bummed missed my first chance to see Tool and the tickets were right up the stage too.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2019, 08:03:13 AM »
That's a real bummer :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2019, 08:06:21 AM »
Yea, that's unfortunate.

Reap, that sucks about the attendance.  For the two DC shows, the second was like that, might have actually been closer to or under 50% (although the night before was practically sold out).  They are definitely a band on a huge decline.  I think they sold Radio City in NYC fairly well, they've always had strong support in the area, but even then, that's a downgrade from playing MSG.  I wouldn't be surprised if their next album is a dud, that the next time they come through its in an even smaller venue.  Those DC shows were the closest I've ever been able to sit for an Incubus show.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2019, 08:08:42 AM »
I agree about them being on the decline, 8 wasn't that great of an album.

What's weird is that last year (or maybe the year before) they came through Charlotte and almost sold out the outdoor arena which holds about 15k but this time they are playing to a club that holds at most a few thousand.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: November 08, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
Yea, same, it's a big drop off.  My one friend who went to the NYC show said he was a bit dissapointed with the setlist and thinks them not touring for a new album is why attendance was low.  I don't know, Make Yourself is such a good album, I find it hard to believe people aren't showing because they are playing it.  I just think it's because they haven't had a hit single in a long time now.  PLus their new song they are playing this tour... isn't that good.  It still hasn't hit 1 million views.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2019, 05:56:59 AM »
No it isn't, I think they sort of last their way. That trust fall EP was probably the last thing I would call solid. I'm sure if they tour 20 years of Morning View that will be a huge tour, that album was hit after hit.

As far as new music is concerned I wonder if it's mainly Mike E still writing? If so he should maybe ask Ben Kenney to pitch in a bit more. If you haven't checked out Ben Kenney's solo stuff it's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjsTK25awtw

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »
Not a bad song, and something a bit more interesting musically than what Incubus have been doing.  I don't really follow them that closely to know more about their writing process.  I'm glad my Incubus video has started to catch on, slightly, but hitting 1k views makes me happy because it took a really long time to edit that together. 

Also, just realized I've gone to over 50 concerts this year and yet, I only have one more on my schedule for the rest of the year.  I had a few more I wanted to go to but had to book a work trip and also have a family party which means I can't do any of those.  I've got some vacation time to burn still this year, so I've got to look at something to do, but if nothing changes I've done 52 concerts in the first 10 months and one in the last two?  :lol

December 30th - Greta Van Fleet @ The Met Philly, Philadelphia PA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2019, 11:29:11 AM »
hmmm my recent love of Billy Corgan has noticed he's playing in good ole Stroudsburg PA this Saturday.  Looks like I'm 5k points away from keeping my IHG spire status and got lots of extra cash from all my OT in Denver and LA recently.  I'm thinking of checking that out.  Another reason to go, I have like 20GB of concert footage from him that I haven't even uploaded yet.  I think I can combine all three nights for one crazy long and intensive Billy Corgan video.  Shit, I'm considering going to a NYC show next week to make it 4 shows in one video.  We will see, but I've got no plans this weekend and this looks fun, well I know it will be, but another town to visit that I've never been to before as well.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
So, I'm back from Hiromi's concert in Hamburg (which took place yesterday) and I experienced the purest form of happiness possible (musically speaking that is, I'm never referring to anything but that). That's all I'll say for now.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »
I was supposed to be seeing KISS next week with my son for his first KISS concert and they've just announced the whole tour (incl 3 sold out shows in Melbourne) has been cancelled due to Paul Stanley being sick.

That's some sort of build up and letdown -  tickets were bought 13 months ago :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2019, 08:27:35 PM »
Dammit that is the worst. I'm so sorry.  It's your son that has the big letdown. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2019, 08:29:09 PM »
Yeah.............it was a big thing for him - had make up ready to go etc............so he's going to be really upset.   :-[
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2019, 08:30:24 PM »
oof no rescheduled dates?  That sucks so bad, I feel sorry for you and your son. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »
Not at this stage cram and it's hard to see how they'd reschedule unless they postpone other dates.  They have a huge schedule in front of them and I guess this was to be expected at some point at their age.

If they're going to make a big effort to reschedule anywhere it would probably be Australia - we're a big market for them and I think the only country outside of US/Canada that they did the conventions for in the mid 90's.  And especially in Melbourne where they had to put on 3 shows for this tour (around 12k people each with no support bands of note).

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »
Brent, that sucks, man.

Come to Boston!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
wow, thats soooo terrible for the fans there if they never come back.  I have to think he probably really was sick, but they should really try to come back. It's not the end of the road if they dont play there.  So many sold out shows.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #475 on: November 17, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Going to see Ghost tonight  :metal

I have no idea what to expect actually but I've really been looking forward to this. Setlist they have been playing recently looks pretty banging and I hope there is a theatrical element to it. Bring it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
Yea, there's some theatrics involved with their show.  You'll have a good time  :metal

Saw Billy Corgan last night in PA, another awesome show with a totally different setlist than the first two times I saw him.  A fight broke out in the crowd as well, really odd for an acoustic show.  End of the fight and Purr Snickety by Billy Corgan

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
Ghost were so good tonight! They played for about 2 hours and I never lost interest at any point. The whole show was theatrical, the set was pretty much perfect and it was a 'show' in every sense of the word. I now appreciate songs such as He Is and Square Hammer way more.

Next time they play near me I want to try an experiment and take along a friend, who has zero interest in this sort of music, and see what they think! Can't imagine anyone not finding something to enjoy  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
At this point, I'm 100% into getting a ticket for the sold out last of the tour Billy Corgan show in NYC this Wednesday.  He starts three nights there tonight, but having seen 3 shows, I'm just going to try to make one of these and preferably the last as the last show of tours almost always is the most interesting.  Would be a nice mid week treat as well so as long as work doesn't change my plans for me, this seems likely:

November 20th - Billy Corgan @ Gramercy Theater, New York City NY

should also note that the NYC shows are cheaper than LA (by far) and even PA.  Kind of surprising as NYC prices for concerts are almost always the highest you see, but I think he has a bigger LA fan base.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2019, 02:53:58 PM »
So, yesterday at work, I won a contest.  The prize was 4 seats in our company's suite, plus VIP parking, for last night's Trans-Siberian Orchestra show at PNC Arena in Raleigh.

That shit was fucking SWEET.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #480 on: November 21, 2019, 03:03:02 PM »
So, yesterday at work, I won a contest.  The prize was 4 seats in our company's suite, plus VIP parking, for last night's Trans-Siberian Orchestra show at PNC Arena in Raleigh.

Awesome to hear that.  Seeing them a week from Saturday in Ontario, California and bringing my family as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: November 21, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
That's pretty awesome  :metal

so last nights final acoustic Billy Corgan show.... does a 25 song set and then does a 30 minute trivia game show with the crowd at the end with the winner getting to keep his guitar... I'm thinking this was a real bomb although I absolutely loved the ridiculousness of it all.  Before intermission he said he was going to do this and to get picked to be on stage, you could come up to the stage and get a raffle ticket during intermission and if your number was called BIlly would bring you on stage and ask you a question about himself.  Now the questions were TOUGH.  No one was getting them right at all.  He kept going through more numbers as people just kept getting the questions wrong and eventually people were getting pissed and leaving  :rollin

I think that was one of the most ridiculous endings to a tour I've ever seen.  And I recorded the whole thing.  Sadly my camera can't do more than 20 minute videos and the whole thing lasted close to 30 minutes.  So I uploaded the main chunk of it and I'll have to edit all the rest when I get a chance (including someone finally winning, a lady Pam who I had met at the shows in LA and she is probably the biggest fan of his and Billy sung happy birthday to her in LA).   Really awesome for her to win that guitar.   He also mentioned he was going to be fined a lot for going so long after the show should have ended (reminded me of MPs short set comment from Live SFAM)

Anyway, Billy Corgan Trivia Game Show

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: November 21, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »

Awesome to hear that.  Seeing them a week from Saturday in Ontario, California and bringing my family as well.
It was some of the best visual effects (lasers/pyro/etc) I have ever seen at a concert.  Such a good time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #483 on: November 22, 2019, 12:03:30 AM »
All right, I'm back from the Lindsey Stirling Warmer in the Winter Christmas show.  This might have been the best show I've seen in the three times I've saw her.   I just realize that she actually tied Alter Bridge for the acts I've seen the most in concert at three so far.  I had a great view from the 100 sections of the arena.  Easily worth the $35.00 I spent on Groupon.  It lasted around 90 minutes.  She and her band played a variety of some Christmas classics, some Christmas tunes from her Christmas album, and a few of her non-Christmas songs.  Of course, her and her dancers' choreography, various dress attires, hats, and video visuals was top notch.  Lindsey also took it upon herself to sing vocals for a few songs and I think she sounded ok.  Even her drummer and keyboard player dressed up nicely for this kind of show.  I saw various people wear suits for this show and I felt a bit out of place wearing my usual Alter Bridge t-shirt that I have been wearing for like 25 straight concerts. 

Lindsey had some pretty touching stories about the personal battles of life and some struggles with dealing with it, especially during her stint with Dancing with the Stars (which with the way she described it, was a lot more rigorous than one would think with a lot of rehearsals and very little hours of sleep).  I also liked how it wasn't just keyboards, drums, violins, and other backing tracks that suits the song all the time.  She did Hallelujah with just the violin and her keyboardist playing the guitar and she and her backup band also did a medley of Christmas tunes with instruments that would not be out of place with the Hello Kitty instruments that you see musicians playing on Loudwire videos at times.  They still sounded as well as they can be.

Now, the sadder news.  Even with the 200 sections of the arena curtain off and tickets being listed on Groupon for around $25-40, I think there was around 2,500-3,000 people in attendance, which is not great given that with these sections curtained off, the venue could have held around 5,000.  I put the blame on Live Nation as usual.  I don't think people would want to pay around $50.00 for a far back seat in the back section of the 100 sections and the crowd I was in looks to be a more casual concertgoers.  I do think if they format it to allow some 200 sections to be available for tickets and price it at $20.00 (fees included), a lot more people would have come.  It was a pretty solid show with a lot of good visuals, spectacles, some heart-wrenching speeches, and some humor that would be worth a good night out.  I hope if she does a proper tour for her new album, I can catch another show.

Next show will be another great Christmas show.  Trans-Siberian Orchestra in the same venue and I'm taking my family to this show.  This one I know it would be packed, even with the tickets being on Groupon at the first week of sale at $55.00 and even if the tickets are expensive now.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #484 on: November 22, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Sadly had to sell my Tool tickets for the DC date, plans changed and I was no longer going to be in the area during the concert time. Pretty bummed missed my first chance to see Tool and the tickets were right up the stage too.

Off topic but I like your avatar.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: November 24, 2019, 06:19:47 AM »

It was some of the best visual effects (lasers/pyro/etc) I have ever seen at a concert.  Such a good time.

That is awesome! My wife and I wanted to see them this year but tickets sold out quick.

Heading up to Raleigh today for the Tool concert, I'm pretty damn excited. Hef, any good food recommendations around the PNC Arena?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: November 25, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »
I just shared this to the Smashing Pumpkins thread, but figured I should share here as I've done a lot of talk about the Billy Corgan concerts here as well.

Billy Corgan - Cotillions Solo Acoustic Tour of the US from LA to NYC

My full 4 hour video of editting 4 concerts together.  Includes like 40 or so songs from two LA shows, one PA show, and one NYC show.  Also includes the full trivia game show Billy held after the NYC show to give away his guitars he used. 

As of now, my next concert confirmed is Greta Van Fleet at the end of the year, but a few I am interested in and will see if I can make:

November 29th - Chon, Between The Buried and Me, Intervals @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ - With my parents and friends home for the holidays, this may not be possible but if nothing is going on, I may check this out.

December 10/11 - Slackers @ Bluebird Theater, Denver CO - Going to be in Denver this week and this looks like the only show I may have interest in if possible to make it with my work schedule.

December 14th - Thank You Scientist @ Mercury Loung, New York City NY - I come home from Denver this afternoon, if I get in on time and feel up to it, I'd love to check them out as I just got their latest album and really enjoy it.  Just may not be possible to make this due to a flight that day.

December 20th - Streetlight Manifesto @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ - I saw them last year and they were awesome, but I know little of their original music (that show they did the entire Catch 22 Keasbey Nights album) which is the only thing holding me back, but if I am home without plans this night, I will definitely go check this out. 

Offline earlilano

« Reply #487 on: November 27, 2019, 12:58:02 AM »
As of now, my next concert confirmed is Greta Van Fleet at the end of the year, but a few I am interested in and will see if I can make:

November 29th - Chon, Between The Buried and Me, Intervals @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ - With my parents and friends home for the holidays, this may not be possible but if nothing is going on, I may check this out.

December 14th - Thank You Scientist @ Mercury Loung, New York City NY - I come home from Denver this afternoon, if I get in on time and feel up to it, I'd love to check them out as I just got their latest album and really enjoy it.  Just may not be possible to make this due to a flight that day.

Between The Buried and Me played a great show, I just wish they were the headliner so they could play more songs. I just didn't like CHON so I left early.

Thank You Scientist was amazing. I brought my 6 year old so we had to leave maybe a little past the halfway point of the setlist but it was so worth it. I left the show thinking Anchor was the best live song for me this year. the opening band Teat Time was also decent. I didn't care for Bent Knee.

Offline earlilano

« Reply #488 on: November 27, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »
All right, I'm back from the Lindsey Stirling Warmer in the Winter Christmas show.  This might have been the best show I've seen in the three times I've saw her.   I just realize that she actually tied Alter Bridge for the acts I've seen the most in concert at three so far.  I had a great view from the 100 sections of the arena.  Easily worth the $35.00 I spent on Groupon.  It lasted around 90 minutes.  She and her band played a variety of some Christmas classics, some Christmas tunes from her Christmas album, and a few of her non-Christmas songs.  Of course, her and her dancers' choreography, various dress attires, hats, and video visuals was top notch.  Lindsey also took it upon herself to sing vocals for a few songs and I think she sounded ok.  Even her drummer and keyboard player dressed up nicely for this kind of show.  I saw various people wear suits for this show and I felt a bit out of place wearing my usual Alter Bridge t-shirt that I have been wearing for like 25 straight concerts. 

Lindsey had some pretty touching stories about the personal battles of life and some struggles with dealing with it, especially during her stint with Dancing with the Stars (which with the way she described it, was a lot more rigorous than one would think with a lot of rehearsals and very little hours of sleep).  I also liked how it wasn't just keyboards, drums, violins, and other backing tracks that suits the song all the time.  She did Hallelujah with just the violin and her keyboardist playing the guitar and she and her backup band also did a medley of Christmas tunes with instruments that would not be out of place with the Hello Kitty instruments that you see musicians playing on Loudwire videos at times.  They still sounded as well as they can be.

Now, the sadder news.  Even with the 200 sections of the arena curtain off and tickets being listed on Groupon for around $25-40, I think there was around 2,500-3,000 people in attendance, which is not great given that with these sections curtained off, the venue could have held around 5,000.  I put the blame on Live Nation as usual.  I don't think people would want to pay around $50.00 for a far back seat in the back section of the 100 sections and the crowd I was in looks to be a more casual concertgoers.  I do think if they format it to allow some 200 sections to be available for tickets and price it at $20.00 (fees included), a lot more people would have come.  It was a pretty solid show with a lot of good visuals, spectacles, some heart-wrenching speeches, and some humor that would be worth a good night out.  I hope if she does a proper tour for her new album, I can catch another show.

Next show will be another great Christmas show.  Trans-Siberian Orchestra in the same venue and I'm taking my family to this show.  This one I know it would be packed, even with the tickets being on Groupon at the first week of sale at $55.00 and even if the tickets are expensive now.

I think I was behind you in line for Switchfoot in Riverside. Lol.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #489 on: November 27, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
^^ Were you the one wearing the DT Scenes from A Memory t-shirt, because I spotted someone in line wearing that shirt at that show?