Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30684 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:58 AM »
I have just realized I didn't attend any (if not counting smaller local bands) concert this year :o Probably seeing Black Tusk on May 24th and Red Fang on June 22nd. Also, since I love Soen's latest album I might travel to Hungary or Slovenia to see them. Mark Knopfler is touring as well, would like to finally see him.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:57 AM »
National Concert Week Sale on LiveNation

https://ncw.livenation.com/?c=LNMP_Promotions_NCW_LN.com_Carousel&_ga=2.154089471.637474016.1556725834-54645397.1444148880

Check it out, 20 dollars flat for tickets for many concerts.  It's lawn seats for my local venue which sucks, but some of the other venues near me this is actually a good deal.  Might pick up some for concerts I otherwise wasn't going to attend.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2019, 10:39:56 AM »
Always wanted to see Bryan Adams. I may pick up a ticket.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
National Concert Week Sale on LiveNation

https://ncw.livenation.com/?c=LNMP_Promotions_NCW_LN.com_Carousel&_ga=2.154089471.637474016.1556725834-54645397.1444148880

Check it out, 20 dollars flat for tickets for many concerts.  It's lawn seats for my local venue which sucks, but some of the other venues near me this is actually a good deal.  Might pick up some for concerts I otherwise wasn't going to attend.

I don't mind lawn seats or nosebleed seats if the discount price is way less than face value.  I snagged a Zac Brown Band ticket in the 300 sections at FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine that was selling for around $90.00 plus fees.  Those things sold out fast.  Granted, there was like 100 tickets when the deal started, but still.  Those sold out in like 20 minutes or so.  Price tickets at $20.00 and people will buy them in a snap.  What a concept.  If only promoters keep it like that on a regular basis.

I do see a better seat in the Live Nation deal for Breaking Benjamin than the seat I got at Groupon for $34.00, so hopefully, I can find some way to get the refund from Groupon and snag the better seat for $20.00.  Not likely, but it is worth trying.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2019, 10:58:13 AM »
just saw Foals last night @ First Avenue. Their shows are a can't miss for me at this point.

I also saw the following shows and reviewed them in my blog recently:
Kindo/Thank You Scientist I saw last week
Jon Anderson'
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
Fates Warning/Queensryche
Jimmy Gnecco
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:59:38 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »
I don't mind lawn seats or nosebleed seats if the discount price is way less than face value. 

My local amphitheater, PNC Bank Arts Center, the lawn seats pretty much suck.  They've added a lot of tiers to the lawn, like now they have cabanas in the back and I heard, although I havent seen, that they are making a VIP lawn section this summer so essentially the only spots on the lawn where you could have a good view still come wiht an extra fee. I did one concert in the lawn last summer and told myself I won't do it again this summer  :lol  Between the rain, and the mud (even if its not raining, only the first few concerts of the summer have a nice lawn, the rest is just a destroyed mud fest), poor sound, and bad view, the only reason for me to get a lawn ticket is if I was going with friends to see a band I don't care about.  (Third Eye Blind for exmaple which my GF want's to go to). 

Also, as someone who likes to get video, it's practically impossible from the lawn now unless you get there early enough to get the few decent locations.

But as I look, most of the shows at this venue aren't selling that well.  I think I could get a second hand ticket for a seat at better value.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
I don't mind lawn seats or nosebleed seats if the discount price is way less than face value. 

My local amphitheater, PNC Bank Arts Center, the lawn seats pretty much suck.  They've added a lot of tiers to the lawn, like now they have cabanas in the back and I heard, although I havent seen, that they are making a VIP lawn section this summer so essentially the only spots on the lawn where you could have a good view still come wiht an extra fee. I did one concert in the lawn last summer and told myself I won't do it again this summer  :lol  Between the rain, and the mud (even if its not raining, only the first few concerts of the summer have a nice lawn, the rest is just a destroyed mud fest), poor sound, and bad view, the only reason for me to get a lawn ticket is if I was going with friends to see a band I don't care about.  (Third Eye Blind for exmaple which my GF want's to go to). 

Also, as someone who likes to get video, it's practically impossible from the lawn now unless you get there early enough to get the few decent locations.

But as I look, most of the shows at this venue aren't selling that well.  I think I could get a second hand ticket for a seat at better value.

Oh, at the bolded.  Wow, you think you can get a seat for less than $20 for these shows?  Nice.

In all fairness, the amphitheater shows that I have my eye on does not have lawn seats.  Fivepoint has all tiered seats plus a GA section, no lawn.  Glen Helen Amphitheater in San Bernardino does have lawn seats, but even though I never been to the venue, I don't think it's worthwhile in terms of travel time to go there.  The only show that I know of there, this summer, is Slipknot, and I'm honestly not a Slipknot fan even though they have Volbeat and Gojira (and both bands is all right with me, just not enough to justify going though).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
Well, I did say better value, not better price.  So for example, a seat under the top at say $25 is better value than lawn for 20 IMO.  And I do think I could find these seats.  I haven't seen so many of these concerts selling this poorly.  The line up this summer is not very good for the venue (unless you are a country fan). 

Funny enough, the one show I did buy a seat for this summer at this venue was Slipknot because I figured that was one that would sell well and its not even on the list for 20 dollar tickets for here. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
I looked up Heart to see if it was worth the money. I've seen them three or four times, always good shows. In fact, in one of their down periods, they literally played a small farming town's May Fair back in 2005, that I went to. Ticket was like 15 bucks. Incredible to see such a band on a tiny stage with literally a farm behind them. Anyway, my daughter hasn't seen them, and she loves Ann's voice, and I looked at tickets...even the cheap ones are 59.90 before fees and taxes. Easy pass for us. That's crazy.

Stuff is way out of hand. WAY out of hand. I am going to see Maiden twice on the upcoming tour. The first show, I have GREAT tickets, and paid through the nose (100 level, first row, clear view of stage, and not that far away from it). The second one, I have nosebleeds, which cost 100 total for both. That is more about just taking in a second gig in two nights with a close friend, and just the experience of hanging and seeing shows, rather than seeing the actual show. But there's no way I'm paying what I paid for the first show ever again if that's what it takes to see Maiden. I love em, but after you've seen a group a bunch of times, there comes a point where enough is enough.

If promoters had three price levels - 75-50-25 (talking TOTAL here, not pre-charges and fees), and just kept it steady, they'd probably be able to book artists two nights in a row, and make a lot more money. But if people continue to pay, they continue to pay...

Anyway, picked up three tickets to see Bryan Adams. Center section of 200 level of my local amphitheater, 17 rows up, but on the center aisle. Should be good enough. Nice Sunday evening with the fam.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
Hmmm, might jump on a cheap ticket to see Michael Schenker at Irving Plaza next weekend if I don't end up going to the Mets game.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Stuff is way out of hand. WAY out of hand. I am going to see Maiden twice on the upcoming tour. The first show, I have GREAT tickets, and paid through the nose (100 level, first row, clear view of stage, and not that far away from it). The second one, I have nosebleeds, which cost 100 total for both. That is more about just taking in a second gig in two nights with a close friend, and just the experience of hanging and seeing shows, rather than seeing the actual show. But there's no way I'm paying what I paid for the first show ever again if that's what it takes to see Maiden. I love em, but after you've seen a group a bunch of times, there comes a point where enough is enough.

If promoters had three price levels - 75-50-25 (talking TOTAL here, not pre-charges and fees), and just kept it steady, they'd probably be able to book artists two nights in a row, and make a lot more money. But if people continue to pay, they continue to pay...

I look at this schedule of upcoming concerts that I got here and I'm like, "Am I mad for buying these tickets and think I can make all of these dates," and I say, yes I am, but there are very few things in life that makes me legit happy.  Going to concerts, playing World of Warcraft, seeing the Los Angeles Kings win the Stanley Cup again.  If I can't go to as many concerts as I can feasibly can (depending on schedule and finances), what's the point of living?  Anyway, here's my updated list after buying tickets to two shows for $20.00 in the Live Nation deal and some purchases last week.  Bolded are the most recently purchased since last week.

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles, CA - May 16th, 2019
Winery Dogs - The City National Grove of Anaheim, Anaheim, CA - May 30th, 2019.
Rob Thomas - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 18th, 2019.
Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 29th, 2019
Shinedown with Badflower, Dinosaur Pile-Up, and Broken Hands opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 21st, 2019.
Zac Brown Band with Trombone Shorty opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 25th, 2019.
Lindsey Stirling with ZZ Ward - Pacific Amphitheater, Costa Mesa, CA - August 7th, 2019
Papa Roach with Asking Alexandria and Bad Wolves opening - Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, CA - August 31st, 2019
Skillet and Sevendust with Pop Evil and Devour the Day opening - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - September 1st, 2019.
Iron Maiden with Fozzy and The Raven Age opening - Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA - September 14th, 2019
Breaking Benjamin with Chevelle and Three Days Grace (with Dorothy and Diamante opening) - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - September 16th, 2019.
Alter Bridge's 6th Album VIP Listening Party with a brief live set - Venue TBA - Orlando, FL - September 17th, 2019

Late August and September will be busy.  Five concerts in less than a three week stretch and three events in the span of four days.  I think I am a mad man for thinking that I can attend both the Breaking Benjamin concert, go to the airport and catch an early flight to Orlando, FL and get to the listening party in one piece with the attention and energy that Alter Bridge deserves, but damn it, it's worth taking that journey.  At the very worst, I may just have to pull out of seeing Breaking Benjamin.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »
I look at this schedule of upcoming concerts that I got here and I'm like, "Am I mad for buying these tickets and think I can make all of these dates," and I say, yes I am, but there are very few things in life that makes me legit happy.  Going to concerts, playing World of Warcraft, seeing the Los Angeles Kings win the Stanley Cup again.  If I can't go to as many concerts as I can feasibly can (depending on schedule and finances), what's the point of living? 

Swap the LA kings with NY Rangers and WoW with say Apex Legends and BAM that is 100% me.  I spend way too much money on concert attending, not just tickets but drinks and travel costs.  It's kind of ridiculous to spend so much time and money going to concerts... and yet, I feel like it's the only thing sometimes that makes me truly feel alive.  There's something special about concerts for me, the atmosphere, the music, the people, that just makes it so much fun and makes me feel like it's worth it. 

After I ended my engagement 5 years ago and felt like I wasted 9 years of my life, I said fuck it, I'm going to spend the time I have doing the things I want to do, the things that make me feel the happiest to leave as little regret as I could because I certainly felt a ton of regret on how I spent the prime years of my life.  I still do, but I look back on the last 5 years and feel like I really have been living the best that I can, no regrets and a big part of that is saying "I'm going to go to that concert"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2019, 10:24:21 AM »
Just got my Sabaton and Hammerfall tickets, but also scooped up this one for the final date of their tour at the same venue (and seat too!) that I recently saw DT which is local and super convenient for me:

October 19th - Toto @ Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank NJ

and tonight.... Winery Dogs!  :metal

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
Went to see SOEN in amsterdam fantastic gig !!

I might go to Rival Sons in Cologne but it's on a monday so there's the might

And already in the pocket are DT in Oberhausen

King's X boerderij Zoetermeer
                                             Ayreon  013 Tilburg

And maybe also Riverside boerderij Zoetermeer

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
After I ended my engagement 5 years ago and felt like I wasted 9 years of my life, I said fuck it, I'm going to spend the time I have doing the things I want to do, the things that make me feel the happiest to leave as little regret as I could because I certainly felt a ton of regret on how I spent the prime years of my life.  I still do, but I look back on the last 5 years and feel like I really have been living the best that I can, no regrets and a big part of that is saying "I'm going to go to that concert"

That is exactly me.  We have that in common.   It was even part of being remarried: "Listen, family first, and I'll be reasonable about things, but if I have the chance to meet Jon Anderson and see him at a 500 seat theater an hour from my house, I'm GOING."

I have few regrets, thankfully, but the few I have, EVERY ONE is something I DIDN'T do when I had the shot, not the other way around. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »
Went to see SOEN in amsterdam fantastic gig !!

I might go to Rival Sons in Cologne but it's on a monday so there's the might

And already in the pocket are DT in Oberhausen

King's X boerderij Zoetermeer
                                             Ayreon  013 Tilburg

And maybe also Riverside boerderij Zoetermeer

Nice list. Still regret not seeing Soen the day before Amsterdam at Prognosis.

In the pocket:
Dream Theater at Oberhausen
Tesseract, Jinjer & The Hirsch Effect at Essen
Periphery, Plini & Astronoid at Doornroosje, Nijmegen

Wil probably add Devin Townsend & Haken at 013 and Riverside at Bosuil, Weert
Maybe also BTBAM in Antwerpen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2019, 12:25:57 PM »
Winery Dogs Live @ Sony Music Hall NYC

amazing concert last night, I think it was a lot better than last tour IMO.  Every song felt awesome, emotional, energetic, musically interesting.  THe jams were great, sounded tight, looked like they were having fun and maybe it was my favorite show from Billy Sheehan. 

Tongiht won't come close to that, at least I don't expect it too, staying local for Skid Row... youth gone wild  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »
I saw Skid Row after the Winery Dogs last weekend and felt like I was watching a band going through the motions except for their newer lead singer who seemed to give 110% with his performance.  I didn't realize until after the show, their singer is the original Dragonforce singer.  I guess he is the only one who goes out with something to prove.  The bass player, Rachel Bolan, looked like the most uninterested musician I have seen perform in a loooong time.  I really enjoy seeing the musicians smile and at least pretend they are into the show and whats going on.  I didn't get this feeling from half the band.  Oh well, I can check them off my list of bands I liked but never saw.  I guess seeing them the day after the Winery Dogs didn't do them any favors, it was pretty clear which bands enjoy what they do and which bands are just doing it.

Skid Row Live @ Starland Ballroom

Tongiht is Whitesnake at the same venue  :metal Definitely looking forward to this one, I don't expect them to blow me away but I do expect a fun evening.

and I just got a ticket (front row balcony  :corn ) for this (thanks to the person who shared the fan club pw on facebook):

October 3rd - Incubus @ Radio City Music Hall, New York City NY

Offline dparrott

« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »
My wife's a huge BTS fan.  We saw them at the Rose Bowl on Sunday.  They played Saturday too, so that's around 200K people total.  I'm not a big fan of the music, but they had pyro, fireworks, laser lights, even a singer on a zipline over the crowd during a song!  Fans can buy lightsticks that flash different colors to the music.  It was quite a show.  3 hours too! They've created their own universe with their fans. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
I saw Skid Row after the Winery Dogs last weekend and felt like I was watching a band going through the motions except for their newer lead singer who seemed to give 110% with his performance.  I didn't realize until after the show, their singer is the original Dragonforce singer.  I guess he is the only one who goes out with something to prove.  The bass player, Rachel Bolan, looked like the most uninterested musician I have seen perform in a loooong time.  I really enjoy seeing the musicians smile and at least pretend they are into the show and whats going on.  I didn't get this feeling from half the band.  Oh well, I can check them off my list of bands I liked but never saw.  I guess seeing them the day after the Winery Dogs didn't do them any favors, it was pretty clear which bands enjoy what they do and which bands are just doing it.

Skid Row Live @ Starland Ballroom

Tongiht is Whitesnake at the same venue  :metal Definitely looking forward to this one, I don't expect them to blow me away but I do expect a fun evening.

and I just got a ticket (front row balcony  :corn ) for this (thanks to the person who shared the fan club pw on facebook):

October 3rd - Incubus @ Radio City Music Hall, New York City NY

I can't figure Rachel Bolan out.  I don't follow them too closely, but from what I gather, he's the guy that's really calling a lot of the shots, he's the guy that flat out refuses to work with Sebastian Bach in any way, and he's the guy that insists on this "club" version of Skid Row.  So why not embrace it?  If that's what you want it to be, why be miserable about it?   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
Yea, I'm not entirely sure.  Could be an off night, or anything really.  But it does kind of strike me as odd if you are the man running the show and you aren't 100% into it.  Could just have been my point of view, but it was a big turn off to see such little emotion.  They even played a more rare song (Forever) and it just seemed like the only one who cared was their new singer who has every reason to care.

Anyway, Whitesnake was awesome last night.  I was impressed because I saw them over the summer and though David sounded crappy and I found their set to be fairly uninteresting, just the hits.  I'd say their set is still a bit lackluster but the new songs actually came across really well live.  But 13 songs for a headliner is a little short IMO, they should have added two more songs.  But that's really my only issue with last night.  I was surprised how good David was, he was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the show last year.  I noticed this from the first verse that he sounded alright.  Also, I've seen many shows in this venue and I had never seen one where they implanted spotlights for the stage like this.  There were 3 huge spotlights on David.  It kind of stands out when the venue isn't that big.  But I guess we just had to see how shiny white his teeth are.  I was surprised there weren't more people there either, I think Tesla had a bigger showing (although Tesla was on a Saturday and Whitesnake was on a Tuesday).  But they had more than skid row the other night for sure.  I really thought the whole band sounded tight. Also easily the most females I've seen at a metal show in this venue. 

Whitesnake - Hey You (You Make Me Rock) Live @ Starland Ballroom

Whitesnake - Is This Love Live @ Starland Ballroom

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Seeing Riverside this Sunday night.  Can't wait!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2019, 02:04:20 AM »
All right, I'm back from the Tedeschi Trucks band concert at the Orpheum Theater in LA.  Let's get the negatives out of the way.  One.  Screw the guy that was smoking in front of me.  I don't care what you do with your body, but you got to realize that you are in LA.  Clean air is hard to find as it is here.  Don't ruin it for the rest of us around in the confined building.  Take it outside if you need to smoke.  Two.  For people that want to travel to LA, I must reiterate this.  Don't drive in the 10 and 110 intersection at night time.  I nearly got into an accident with a truck while merging onto the 110.  Thankfully, no one crashed or got hurt, but that near call gave me something to reflect on for the rest of the drive.

With that being said, the band was really good.  Sure, I didn't know any songs except for like two of them, but they sounded good.  Crowd went crazy every time someone was doing a solo, especially when Derek Trucks was doing it.  Heck, there were moments in the show where everyone was given a brief moment to shine.  The keyboard player did a solo spot, the trumpet and saxophone player had a solo spot, the two drummers had their solos, the bass player did a solo.  Susan Tedeschi showed off her guitar skills as well.  Heck, the backup vocalists had a moment where they get to sing lead.  They played a pretty lengthy set as well.  No openers and around 2 hours 15 minutes for the main set.  Don't know how long the encore was, but I was too tired to go through with it in the end. 

Overall, it was a good show and thankfully, this is the kind of show that can get me ready to see Zac Brown Band since they too incorporate a lot of different musicians playing all kinds of different stuff.  Heck, I recall when watching AXS TV and seeing Zac Brown Band had Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks on stage with them at their Southern Grounds festival one year and played the Beatles' I Got A Feeling.  Was a nice rendition.

Anyway, while it's nice to shift away from going to a hard rock concert and hear something more southern/blues, I need to go back to a good old hard rock show.  I felt like I was too out of place at the Tedeschi Trucks band being decked at all black with my usual Alter Bridge concert-going shirt.  Thankfully, I'm seeing Winery Dogs in Anaheim two weeks so that's a good answer to that.  Plus, it's only 10 minutes away from my house and it's only a 30 minute drive one street from work, so I should be ok when it comes to travel.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:09:32 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »
Went to an awesome concert last weekend locally and it was a very mixed bag of music, but all really cool and interesting.  The main attraction was Avatar who I was not familiar with but their circus type of act really felt appropriate for this show. 

Let's start with the opener, Dance with the Dead.  Imagine metal mixed with techno dance music.  It wasn't the coolest thing to see live.  Just a guitarist and bassist with one or two of them moving to keyboard/dj, so it hardly felt like live metal music but the music itself was kind of cool.  I thought it would be great video game music.  I'd be surprised if they haven't or aren't going to work with some video game.   

Then came the mid course which was what I wanted to see.  One of my favorite musicians around today, Devin Townsend himself doing a solo acoustic set.  I really had no idea what to expect.  I love his music and personality, but have never been crazy about acoustic music overall.  Like sure some songs are cool, but an entire set? Would I get bored?  Oh hell no, Devin was sooooo entertaining.  You could tell he felt like some internal pressure to make sure everyone was having a good time, which it seemed like they were.  He was hilarious inserting jokes not just between songs but in the middle of them or changing lyrics.  He engaged with the crowd often too.  His performances were really cool, he did Strapping Young Lad's Love? which was really cool to see acousticly.  Solar Winds was a highlight as well.  I also got his 5th performance of his new song Why Devin Townsend - Why? Acoustic Live and he ended the set with Life which is an awesome and super fun song, especially when he hums the guitar solo  :lol His set put a huge smile on my face when I really needed it.

Then came the headliner, Avatar.  I had listened to some songs before the show so I knew what kind of music they were, and I knew they had make up, but I had NO IDEA THEY HAD THIS CRAZY SHOW! WOW did they blow me away with their show.  I've seen a lot of shows at this venue and I've never seen a stage set up as big as theirs, I've never seen any pyro in this venue, and then add in the Throne the guitarist was on, the bubbles, the light show, and last but most importantly, the band performance.  I am sold as a fan of this band.  They just blew every band I've seen there recently out of the water. 

One thing that made this show really cool, it wasn't packed, in fact the curtain was shut on one end so I'm guessing maybe only 800 people showed up (place can hold like 2k), but it was a friendly concert.  Been since the Marilyn Manson concert last year that I saw so many females at a show, and not jsut females, but goth females in their fishnets.  But anyway, ended up making a few friends.  A brother and sister from PA, and two dudes from NJ.  The 5 of us hang out most of the night together and was cool as 3 of us were there for Devin and the other two for Avatar and we all left thinking both were amazing. 

However, maybe my favorite part of the entire night were the technical difficulties during Avatar's set.  I LOVE when shit goes wrong and you see the performers find a way to entertain the crowd.  The best ones do something, whether it be musical or just talk and engage the crowd.  THere were some minor issues throughout the show, one of them is in the intro to this song I got Avatar - Let it Burn Live with hiccup during the start but I got up close near the end of the set and got maybe the funniest and best technical difficulty I've seen in awhile.

Avatar has technical difficulties during song intro and blames it on a ghost named Hubert well I think that link title sums it up, but it's kind of hilarious how he comes out behind the stage and is rising and then just.... nothing and all of the sudden bubbles come out from everywhere  :rollin you hear some random people yelling in the crowd "Long Live the King!"  :lol and the singer comes out and starts coming up with a story to explain whats happening. 

Anyway, if you read all that and it sounds like it was fun, relive the whole experience here:

Avatar, Devin Townsend (acoustic), and Dance with the Dead LIVE @ Starland Ballroom NJ

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2019, 05:06:42 PM »
I'd be really interested in seeing Devin acoustic live. I heard that Acoustic album he released and really enjoyed it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2019, 04:20:02 PM »
What made the Devin acoustic set so cool and unique was that it wasn't really just about the music with him, in a way.  Like he was soo engaging.  The way he talked even during songs was just so cool and fun.  He had the place cracking up so many times not just from being saying something funny, but he would sing funny at times too.  It was really more of "The Devin Townsend show" where he kind of just goofed off while playing some songs.  It was so fun and maybe doing it in front of what kind of looked like a circus tent (it was a cover over Avatar's stage set up behing him, but it was circus themed) seemed perfect for that show.  Highly recommend for any fan of Devin.

Last night I was in Worcester MA to see Avantasia, got to meet some of the band too, made some new friends and happened to meet up with some old.  Wonderful night all around. 

I just got to Queens for my next concert, Greta Van Fleet outdoors!  It's a beautiful day, I wasn't sure if I'd do this concert after last night, but today is just so nice out YOLO.  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Damn just checked BandsInTown and be he isn’t coming anywhere near me

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2019, 02:05:42 PM »
Havent felt 100% the last couple days so still on the fence, but since my friend is going and has an extra ticket, I am strongly considering going to The Bash festival tomorrow.  Punk rock and craft beer so sounds like a good day although it may be rainy.  I think for $30 bucks (there was a ticket dump and the secondary market got flooded with under face value tickets) for just a few hours of beer tasting is a good enough price, nevermind seeing one of my favorite punk bands Rancid who I paid I think 60 bucks to see (with Dropkick Murphys) a year or two ago.  Also Pennywise and Suicidal Tendencies?  Sounds like the potential for a good time shit show  :lol  I just got to see how I feel in the morning and what the weather is really looking like

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
Went to that show here a month ago and it was really a good time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:54 AM »
Went to that show here a month ago and it was really a good time.

:metal heading out now

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »
Had a blast at the Bash festival, but sadly the weather didn't hold out for us and Rancid only got to play a few songs before they called cancelled it. So here's my review:

Show starts as a 3 hour beer festival.  For the price to include a beer fest with maybe 25 or so microbreweries (each with 2-4 different beers to sample) was pretty awesome, but was surprised there was a 10 taste limit.  I did not expect that but it turned out to be unneccesary.  You could buy more tickets for tastes, but the breweries didn't like this.  All but one asked for a ticket, so as I got lower I stopped offering the tickets and just got the beer.  They also had a hard stop 4pm.  The breweries wanted to empty their kegs and we were definitely willing to help but a staff guy went to all the kegs and cut them off as everyone complained.  I guess rules are rules, but it seemed like neither the customers nor the breweries wanted it.  Oh well.  This was a fun couple hours so those minor complaints didn't ruin a thing for me. 

The venue was pretty cool, it's a recently abandoned racetrack for drag racing.  I had lots of friends who would go there with their cars to spec them out.  Cool if you are into that, I am not so had never been here, but it was interesting since it was clearly old and not used in some time.  The had the beer festival outside the stands in the parking lot next to the track and the stage was inside between the two stands and the pit was at the end of the roadway for the drag races.  Kind of cool if you ask me.  And since it was GA, you could sit in the stands or go in the pit, security was loose here and it was really nice.

Now the show started with Madball.  Actually thought they were better than I expected.  I didn't think I'd find any of it enjoyable but a couple songs were alright.  The sound was terrible but that's kind of expected for an outdoor punk show.  Once they ended was when the show started to have weather issues.  Literally one dark cloud came over the venue and they called for a delay and told everyone to leave the venue (lots of metal with the stairs and former track so I guess if there is lightning, you wouldn't want to be there).  Kind of odd to leave the venue, espeically when they continued to server (now you had to buy) beer.  Boought a few with the friends and we went to their car to chill.  A solid hour delay and it never rained. 

L7 came on while we were still waiting outside, I guess the sound of music was the alert that we could go back in.  I actually didn't watch them at all, once inside I was just chilling with my friends for a bit during their set.  I really have no comment on them.

Then came Suicidal Tendencies.  Like Madball, not totally my music, but I found their set to be fun.  The singer is really into it.  I've seen them before last year opening for the Misfits.  They didn't sound terribly tight with guitars going in and out, but its hardcore and it works for this music.  You get the crowd worked up and they did.  I'm not going to be buying their albums or going to their shows, but I respect them still doing this for so long.  I remember first listening to them as a kid and thinking they were an old school band then  :lol

Then came Pennywise.  I really enjoyed their set.  I watched from the stands to start and felt like I finally wanted to feel the rush.  Got right into the pit and felt at home.  I haven't listened to them in years but I felt like I knew all the songs (I didn't but I did know more than I expected).  Singer sounded great and overall, the band sounded tight.  I didn't think I'd enjoy them this much.  Here is a timestamped moment, the best moment of this show for me, where the mosh pit gets wild: Pennywise - Society LIVE timestamped for crazy mosh pit moment  :metal

And then came the rain as they played their last song.  Another short delay as it was light and stopped quickly.  At least it actually rained this time.  Rancid finally came on as it was now dark out.  Sucked sooo hard as they sounded good and were just started when during a song the speakers just started alerting and they had to stop and said there would be another weather delay.  This time it downpoured hard though.  It did stop after like 20 minutes, but when I emerged back onto the field, security stated the show is over.  That sucked big time as that was the one badn I really wanted to see and only got a small taste.  It felt like if they just didnt have that first delay then Rancid would have been able to play their set on time.  Instead we got lots of delays and a cancellation.

At the end of the day, the concert and day were a ton of fun so hard to bitch about losing 40 minutes of that day, but it is what it is.  I wasn't even going to go for sure so making a full fun day out of this was worth it. 

On a side note, it totally sucked getting out of there as the place is kind of remote so all us Uber folk got stuck hanging out for awhile so one guy and I hotboxed an old ticket sales booth for the racetrack  :rollin maybe the funnest part of the night really and totally random and cool.  Security came by after to tell us not to go inside as he went into the same box to lock it and had to of had gotten a contact high  :hat

Anyway, here's my full video documenting the entire day: The Bash Beer and Music Festival featuring Rancid, Pennywise, Suicidal Tendencies, and Madball

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
10/17 - Flying Colors

Maybe:

9/20 - Sebastian Bach - He's touring on the 30th of Skid Row's debut and is playing it in its entirety. Plus, I just got all of his solo albums and he still has the pipes. He's playing a little rock club in Lombard on a Friday night. Guessing it should be cheap. Hoping to make this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 06, 2019, 01:53:41 PM »
Debating about seeing OAR tonight.  They are playing at the amphitheater in my backyard and it didn't sell well.  For 10 bucks I could be in a VIP seat (for this venue that means a cushioned chair, great view, and waiter service).  I never really got into them and seen them a few times before but this is more of a "something to do tonight for cheap" type of thing.  I'm debating.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: June 06, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
Debating about seeing OAR tonight.  They are playing at the amphitheater in my backyard and it didn't sell well.  For 10 bucks I could be in a VIP seat (for this venue that means a cushioned chair, great view, and waiter service).  I never really got into them and seen them a few times before but this is more of a "something to do tonight for cheap" type of thing.  I'm debating.

They are so great live! I hope you went!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 06, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »

They are so great live! I hope you went!

They go on in one hour and I did get a super cheap awesome seat, heading out soon since I just got home from work  :yarr