Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30300 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
I'd think the Breaking Benjamin show would be cheap.  THey played the same venue over the summer and I would have gone but was on a business trip but knew it didnt sell out and second hand tickets were cheap... and now they are coming back and I'm not sure the support is as popular as last years, maybe the same so I guess I'd expect similar results. 

Another reason why I didn't just buy the ticket to rock bundle, other than Slipknot, I think I'll be able to get a better ticket later.  The Slipknot show is an impressive line up, really would love to see Gojira but Behemoth and Volbeat are known bands too for support.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
Seeing a Groupon for cheap seats (i.e. far seats of course) for Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria at the Greek Theater in LA.  I have heard of them, I've heard good things about them here and elsewhere, but not really dig deeper into these bands.  They put a good enough live show?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
Seeing a Groupon for cheap seats (i.e. far seats of course) for Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria at the Greek Theater in LA.  I have heard of them, I've heard good things about them here and elsewhere, but not really dig deeper into these bands.  They put a good enough live show?

GO. They are doing Crack the Skye in its entirety. Don't miss it. Yes, the show is a good one. Very good live band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:15 AM »
I’m seeing Steven Wilson tomorrow.

Then Haken on the 15th of March
A festival with Haken, Leprous, Tesseract and more on the 22/23 of March

And then later in the year I’ll see Rammstein, Ayreon and Devin Townsend.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »

GO. They are doing Crack the Skye in its entirety. Don't miss it. Yes, the show is a good one. Very good live band.

I've always thought Mastodon was shit live - no stage presence. Music isn't the issue. Coheed on the other hand is a fantastic show all around.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »
I saw Mastadon last year, I went in blind to that concert and was not impressed.  They weren't terrible, but definitely didn't make me want to listen to them.  I think they had a couple songs that I enjoyed, but felt like as chknptpie said, they had no stage presence so they weren't interesting to watch for someone who wasn't familiar.  I thought their sound was poor too, but that could have been the venue.  I didn't know any Primus who was the headliner last year but didn't have the sound or boring issue with their set yet I was also blind to their music going in.  Just my opinion.  That same Mastadon and Coheed tour is coming here but I don't like the venue and I don't plan on going.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
HEY:  Question for you all:   I have chance to see the Claypool Lennon Delirium (Les Claypool from Primus, and Sean Lennon, son of John).    $35 ticket, general admission.  100% going.   But... for $179 I can meet Les and Sean.   I'm not the hugest M&G guy (though I did meet the Neal Morse Band last tour just because) but what say you?  Is it worth that to meet the son of a Beatle?   It's about as close as I'll ever come, to be honest, and while I would never be so crass as to mention his dad or say that's why I'm there, it's still cool (plus a huge fan of Les).

I think by typing this I just talked myself into doing it.  Yeah!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
I was going to say, from reading it, it sounds like you want to so you know your answer.   

Personally, I've never paid for a M&G and find it kind of uninteresting to pay for, but I can imagine there's a scenario where I would

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »
re: Mastodon - I wouldn't call them shit. THey were solid. Just not exciting. But you don't pass up an opportunity to see Crack the Skye live in its entirety. And Coheed is a blast live, so that'll be good.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
Just grabbed a ticket for Billy Sheehan and Talas at the Iridium in NYC on March 6th.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
I pulled the trigger on the Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria show.  Not only were the tickets on Groupon costed $22.00, but Groupon had a 20% off sale on purchases today and this show was qualified for it, so I only had to pay $17.60 for the show.  I think these are good seats if the seating chart is correct.  This image below is probably where I am seated at right where the crappy circle is at in the South Terrace section.

I don't know if this is the best ticket I have ever purchased in terms of value for the amount paid and for the view I am getting, but I think this is a pretty good grab for $18.00 if it is true.  On a Saturday as well.

Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 29th, 2019

Also, on the topic of VIP Meet & Greets.

On that topic, I paid for a $250.00 pass to go to an album-listening party for Alter Bridge's 6th album in September (which admitting, they haven't created yet, but they will be in the studio next month) in Orlando, Florida.  That listening party includes not just hearing the new album before it is in stores, but it includes a meet & greet with the band and probably an hour live set.  I mean it would awesome to meet my heroes in person albeit only for a short moment in time and seeing Alter Bridge is always a great thing for me.  I wouldn't do this for any band, but since this was the same band where if I had around $2,000-3,000, I would fly out to London to see their shows at the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra in 2017, so doing this listening party is a no brainer for me.  Plus, I haven't traveled out of state in almost 20 years and this is as great as a reason to do so.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »
I’m seeing Steven Wilson tomorrow.

Hopefully it'll be good! Saw him yesterday and it was great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
Picked up Maiden tickets when they first went on sale. Got great seats for my local show. They are playing the next night about 90 minutes away, so I went and got seats in the nosebleeds. Back-to-back Maiden nights from two different vantage points. Probably won't be able to do that again, as the first night was expensive as hell, but this should be cool.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »
Speaking of Iron Maiden, they added a second night in Brooklyn to their tour this summer so I am planning on going both nights now.  They did back to back nights there two summers ago and that was one of the best weekends so looking forward to doing it again.

Last Friday I went to see Less Than Jake do their first show of the year, almost exactly one year since I last saw them at the same venue.  I must say this show was so much better.  For one, the crowd was larger and rowdier.  Really big and active pit all night.  But what I loved so much was a fresh set list, having seen them once a year for the last 4 years, it was nice to get some songs I haven't seen in awhile.  Plus they were having a good time, you could tell.  Like every other song they got some fan interraction, they allowed one guy to dance on stage when a shoe landed on stage and he claimed it (the first guy tried to claim it to get on stage but had two shows so they kicked him off  :lol) one song had like 6 little kids on stage, another song had a couple dancing on stage, the singer gtabbed the phone from someone to call the phone owners boss to tell him he wasn't coming in tomorrow, to ending the set with the Trombone player doing his solo short song Mississippi Mud.  It just was all in good fun and it showed, it could wind up being my favorite show of theirs I've seen, and I've seen a lot.  I also got fist bumps from the entire band before they hit the stage.  Always a plus being able to directly interact with one of your favorite bands.

Less Than Jake LIVE @ Starland Ballroom NJ

and here is a my short tweet from the concert, essentially I made this short clip because I found it so funny.  Before bringing on the small kids, they said they weren't going to curse, then after the song the singer says if anyone calls that segment lame on social media tomorrow, fuck you while the kids were stil on stage  :rollin as the bassist tries to shuffle them off and they try to talk back dropping the f bomb.  I was on the floor laughing.

https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1099350368234995714

and then that leaves me with tonight, Disturbed at MSG.  Three Days Grace is opening but aparently go on at 730 which cuts it close for me to get there from work so I might miss some of them, but I don't really know their music.  My friend hooked us up with tickets in a suite so this should be a fun one tonight.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be adding Queensryche and Fates Warning in NYC next month to my list, as well as Tony Macalpine.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2019, 12:54:19 PM »
Speaking of queensryche, the same venue I saw Less Than Jake announced Geoff Tates Operation Mindcrime show today. I dont know if I'll go but this is after I see Avantasia and maybe if Tate is good live I'll go check out his show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
and another concert announcement today to add to my list:

August 7th - Korn and Alice in Chains @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

Not really a Korn fan, saw them once and really never got into their music so I just couldn't get into their live show, but after seeing Alice in Chains last year, I am totally cool checking them out again in my backyard.  It's coheadline too so while I'm not sure who goes on last, at least we get full sets and not an opener set (I get the feeling Korn is headlining).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »
SKIP. I just don't wanna spend a bunch of cash to see AiC play 70 minutes. This is what things are coming to now. MOre money, less of the artist you really want to see. Ugh. I realize it is all subjective, and I'm sure at some point there will be a double-bill I love that someone else will hate. But I miss the days of a true headliner. I'm thankful Dream Theater can still pull it off.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2019, 02:50:43 PM »
SKIP. I just don't wanna spend a bunch of cash to see AiC play 70 minutes. This is what things are coming to now. MOre money, less of the artist you really want to see. Ugh. I realize it is all subjective, and I'm sure at some point there will be a double-bill I love that someone else will hate. But I miss the days of a true headliner. I'm thankful Dream Theater can still pull it off.

I think you can thank Live Nation for that.  This seems to be one of their tours where they pair two bands who are big but not big enough to play these venues on their own, so they double bill to get fans to fill the seats.  I think it works well for casual fans like myself in this case, but sucks big time for the hardcore fans. The thing that sucks even more though, is they are touring with TWO MORE bands.  Like, why do they need 4 bands on the bill?  That just waters down everyone's sets even more.  Last summer when Def Leppard and Journey coheadlined, they had no opener so both bands played their full set with encores.  It probably sucked for whoever opened each night to play their first song in front of a small crowd that was still showing up, but I think that was really cool for the hardcore fans to not get cheated of a full set just because it's coheadline. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
I noted that - four bands on the bill. Oy. I really just wanted to see Alice in Chains, ya know. But you're right, its these big conglomerates, along with SO MANY bands touring (because that's where the money is). The competition is healthy to a degree, but it has really saturated the marketplace. And on one hand, it is cool to see so many shows (I have 13 this year so far, up through September), I know that only a handful of those (this past weekend with Neal Schon, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater) will give me old school size setlists. The rest will likely be shorter and watered down to a degree with additional acts.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2019, 03:04:20 PM »

I think you can thank Live Nation for that.  This seems to be one of their tours where they pair two bands who are big but not big enough to play these venues on their own, so they double bill to get fans to fill the seats.  I think it works well for casual fans like myself in this case, but sucks big time for the hardcore fans. The thing that sucks even more though, is they are touring with TWO MORE bands.  Like, why do they need 4 bands on the bill?  That just waters down everyone's sets even more.  Last summer when Def Leppard and Journey coheadlined, they had no opener so both bands played their full set with encores.  It probably sucked for whoever opened each night to play their first song in front of a small crowd that was still showing up, but I think that was really cool for the hardcore fans to not get cheated of a full set just because it's coheadline.

I concur.  I honestly don't like 4-band bills when the only band that I want to see plays around 70-80 minutes or so.  Like the Nothing More show I went to last Friday.  Four bands on the bill.  I honestly don't really like (not hate, mind you) three of those bands where I wouldn't want to see them at their own show.  The one band I wanted to see, Nothing More, played for around 70-80 minutes or so, but by gosh, they made those minutes count.  With that said, I had a good time all around and the crowd was really amped the whole time.

I'm thankful that Alter Bridge isn't big enough do co-headliners in amphitheaters here in the states and that their headliner shows (which includes two opening bands) lasts for around 100 minutes or so.  More than adequate for those wanting to see them, but for guys like me, I would rather they have no opening band like DT does for their shows.  That stated, they would be the band opening for the co-headliners in the summer like they did in 2016 and only get 35 minutes which is just not adequate, but that's only way they can get exposure in front of bigger crowds in the states.  In Europe, it's a different story altogether, but even they had three opening bands in their last UK arena tour and they got only 90 minutes.  The year later when they played in London, how long they did get?  2 hours 15 minutes.  Honestly, for the core fanbase that Alter Bridge has, what would we prefer?  Something similar that DT has which is a longer show, no opening bands, and give them that chance to explore playing deeper cuts.

The Disturbed show with only Three Days Grace opening had more than an adequate enough time for both bands.  Three Days Grace got around 50-55 minutes.  Disturbed got around 90-100 minutes.  May not draw as much as a four band bill in the summertime, but I had a blast the whole way and it's my favorite concert so far out of like 11 I have planned so far in 2019.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »
My wife saw Nothing More this weekend. I had seen them twice, once opening for Lacuna Coil, the other on a bill with Periphery. Incredible live band for sure. Total energy. According to the Mrs., same this past weekend. But she was also bored to tears by the openers. I think NM played what you got - about 80 minutes or so. Something like that.

As for AB, I'm waiting for it to happen. The last three tours here in the Bay Area, they played the 1,800 standing room Regency Ballroom on AB III, 2,800 seat Warfield Theater (Fortress), and then stepped back down to the REgency for The Last Hero. My guess is, that's what they'll do again, but I can't shake the feeling that one of those co-headline bills is coming our way. I sincerely hope not, but for them to at least go back up in size to The Warfield, they may need to. Fingers crossed it won't be necessary and they will do do their own headline tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
The Disturbed show with only Three Days Grace opening had more than an adequate enough time for both bands.  Three Days Grace got around 50-55 minutes.  Disturbed got around 90-100 minutes.  May not draw as much as a four band bill in the summertime, but I had a blast the whole way and it's my favorite concert so far out of like 11 I have planned so far in 2019.

Speaking of... that's tonight for me, I'm guessing TDG goes on at 730 and disturbed at 9?  Was that the case for you?  Im actually about to bolt work a bit early to try to make it on time.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:03 PM »
As for AB, I'm waiting for it to happen. The last three tours here in the Bay Area, they played the 1,800 standing room Regency Ballroom on AB III, 2,800 seat Warfield Theater (Fortress), and then stepped back down to the REgency for The Last Hero. My guess is, that's what they'll do again, but I can't shake the feeling that one of those co-headline bills is coming our way. I sincerely hope not, but for them to at least go back up in size to The Warfield, they may need to. Fingers crossed it won't be necessary and they will do do their own headline tour.

I wouldn't mind AB doing a co-headlining tour for bigger crowds and play 75 minutes or so (because this band has worked hard to get to where they are to warrant it), but only if it's a band that would fit well with them.  I would be pumped if they do a tour with a band like Skillet, Sixx: A.M., or Sevendust and both bands get equal billing and play around 3,000-5,000 people at a time.  Of course, they could do the rational thing and have no opening bands and play 2.5 hour sets and still play to around 1,500 people or so.  It's not like the opening bands in their past tours have really moved the needle in terms of crowd size.  Sure, Like A Storm, Black Stone Cherry, Adelitas Way, Nonpoint, and All That Remains has way more radio play on Sirus XM Octane and Turbo than AB, but those bands are not really the biggest dealbreaker to see an Alter Bridge headlining show or not.

Speaking of... that's tonight for me, I'm guessing TDG goes on at 730 and disturbed at 9?  Was that the case for you?  Im actually about to bolt work a bit early to try to make it on time.

Yeah, those were similar start times.  I got to the venue around 5:30 PM and waited around and TDG started at 7:25-7:30.  Can't remember what time Disturbed started.  I say if you get to your seat around 8:45, it should be fine to get settled before Disturbed starts their set.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:25:51 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »
I like Korn and like AIC just the same. They remind me of middle and high school. I just hope Korn pulls some rare stuff from the vaults. Like Alone I Break, Thoughtless, something from Take A Look In The Mirror.

AIC should bust out...What The Hell Have I, Sea of Sorrow, I Stay Away, or Rotten Apple.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
Decided to see John 5 tonight at Launchpad (our local small imitate venue). Opening band isn't my cup of tea at all. They're called Dead Girls Academy, generic pop-metal...think, My Chemical Romance mixed with Linkin Park with some Screamo.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »
Decided to see John 5 tonight at Launchpad (our local small imitate venue). Opening band isn't my cup of tea at all. They're called Dead Girls Academy, generic pop-metal...think, My Chemical Romance mixed with Linkin Park with some Screamo.

Oh boy, I see what you mean by that.  This is the first image I pulled when I googled the band name.  I know its a bit crass to judge band's music based on their band photos, but you look at this photo and tell yourselves, "what do they play?"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2019, 07:40:58 AM »
Shared this is the Disturbed thread, but also will share here:

Disturbed and Three Days Grace Live @ MSG

and a first for me, eating lobster tails and crab legs at a metal concert (my IG post, you'll have to swipe to see the foods)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BubrsKCgB0P/

next concert up is Saturday for Within Temptation and In Flames in NYC.  I'm not in love with the latest Within Temptation, but I had a blast seeing them like 5 years ago or so, and I am really looking forward to seeing them again.  The show is almost sold out too apparently.   :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2019, 09:42:20 AM »
wow what a line up just announced for special 25th warped tour anniversary show in Atlantic City this summer.  Two day festival, so it's not a traditional warped tour but I am loving this line up of bands.  I definitely want to go

311, Offspring, Bad Religion, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Dirty Heads, Blink 182.... so many bands I enjoy.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2019, 12:51:52 PM »
Saw Mastodon in February which was a good start of my concert year.

March is going to be pretty busy:
March 15th - Haken with Bent Knee and Vola
March 17th - Alestorm
March 22nd - Prognosis Festival with Haken, Leprous and Soen among others
March 23rd - Prognosis Festival with TesseracT and Devin Townsend among others
March 26th - Neal Morse Band

Juni 15th - Dream Theater

Still have to decide if I'm going to get tickets for The Ocean, Downfall of Gaia and Herod at March 25th

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2019, 02:43:07 AM »
I'm in Amsterdam for work, but I might be able to pull this off Friday night, its a bit of a drive from here but if I can get out of work at a normal time, I should make it after the opener (and I don't mind the drive, should be scenic for me since this would be exploring somewhere I've never been):

March 8th - Kamelot and Evergrey @ Doornroosje, Nijmegen NL

(I have no idea how to pronounce the venue or town)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
I'm thinking about grabbing a ticket for the Experience Hendrix tribute tour when it hits NJ at the end of the month. Satriani, Eric Johnson, Dave Mustaine, Doug Pinnick, and others all jamming on Hendrix tunes sounds like a pretty great night :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
I'm thinking about grabbing a ticket for the Experience Hendrix tribute tour when it hits NJ at the end of the month. Satriani, Eric Johnson, Dave Mustaine, Doug Pinnick, and others all jamming on Hendrix tunes sounds like a pretty great night :hat

I saw ads for this and just thought it was like a cover band show, but seeing all these musicians listed makes it pretty interesting.  They are bringing this show to Count Basie in Red Bank, maybe I'd go to that (I'm assuming you are looking at the NJPAC show)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »

I saw ads for this and just thought it was like a cover band show, but seeing all these musicians listed makes it pretty interesting.  They are bringing this show to Count Basie in Red Bank, maybe I'd go to that (I'm assuming you are looking at the NJPAC show)

Yeah, I'd do the NJPAC show since I could just PATH over to Newark after work.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm in Amsterdam for work, but I might be able to pull this off Friday night, its a bit of a drive from here but if I can get out of work at a normal time, I should make it after the opener (and I don't mind the drive, should be scenic for me since this would be exploring somewhere I've never been):

March 8th - Kamelot and Evergrey @ Doornroosje, Nijmegen NL

(I have no idea how to pronounce the venue or town)

Don't expect a scenic drive. I would recommend the train. The Nijmegen train station is next to the venue.
You avoid the traffic jams and will be able to grab a few beers.

The venue is great, one of my favorites in the Netherlands. Enjoy :tup