Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30379 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »
All right, I had some time to reflect and rest and turn my brain off and now I'm ready to talk about the I Am The Highway - A Tribute to Chris Cornell show at the Forum, last Wednesday.  Here are my long thoughts.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way.  The Forum was so disorganized in comparison to the Disturbed show at the same place, last week.  It was raining hard that day and there were throngs of people trying to figure out where to go, where to check in, where to find the metal detector.  I ponder the thought that if there was anyone that did not buy a ticket for the show, they would have found some way to sneak into the Forum and that sorta concerns me a bit regarding the security (even though they certainly had their hands full when it comes to the rain, the bigger crowd, and luckily, nothing went horribly wrong in that sense).  I got in on time and early and was at my seat at 6:00 PM and waiting for the show to start at 7:00PM.  Well, I dozed off a bit since the show didn't start at 7:00 PM at the time and the Forum was like around 40% filled which gave me another pause for concern.  Thankfully, 7:30 PM and things finally got going.  The remaining members of Soundgarden (Kim Thayil, Ben Shephard, and Matt Cameron) came out to the stage and Matt Cameron came out with the speech (and had a teleprompter on the side of the venue just in case he missed something.  That teleprompter was there when someone had a big speech to say) and talked all the great points of Chris Cornell, not just a musician, but as a person and a good humanitarianism.

With all that said, they finally get down to introducing the first band, they stated that they couldn't found a better band to start this show off than The Melvins.  Now, I must state that the sound for The Melvins was not really that great.  They were the only band I had to resort to wearing ear plugs during the four hours I was there.  Plus, I didn't know a single song from them so they did their stuff and closed their set off with their version of Soundgarden's Spoonman.  The host of the night was late-night host Jimmy Kimmel and he talked about how he started his career in LA in the early 90s working for the big mainstream radio station (KROQ) for rock and bands like Soundgarden at the time and get the crowd hyped for what was coming. 

The cool thing about the stage is that there was a setup for one band and once that band's set is done, the stage is able to rotate itself to phase out one band's setup (drums, amps, etc.) and introduce another band's setup which should ideally reduce the waiting time between sets.  While people were waiting for the next band, various artists like Alain Johannes (a guy that works a lot with guys like Dave Grohl and Josh Homme) would so up and do one acoustic-ish track from Chris Cornell's solo work.  Johnny Cash's son came out and talked about his father and talked about a rendition that Johnny did of a Soundgarden song and introduced the next guy to play that version that Johnny Cash did and it was Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme that did Rusty Cage.  Ryan Adams played a song from one of my favorite albums from Chris, Higher Truth.  It was a song called Dead Wishes.  Didn't think anyone would play something from the Higher Truth album so that was really a nice surprise.  He had a small three/four piece strings section to accompany it and he did it in a manner that Chris would have done for his personal solo shows and also played Soundgarden's Fell on Black Days. 

There were some pop musicians that did one track, acoustically-like.  Adam Levine (of Maroon Five.....) did the song, Seasons, one of Chris' solo songs.  Miley Cyrus, of all people, played another Chris solo song, As Hope and Promise Fade.  Chris Stapleton (a guy that I think I would get into more if I dig into his stuff) did another Chris solo song, The Seeker, and you know something?  It didn't really suck at all.  It was more than tolerable enough and maybe due to the nature of this show, they felt they really need to deliver on this night and not play off their supposed image for just this night and I think they did that and the crowd (which was more of a mainstream rock crowd that would dig a lot of the 90s rock and listen to KROQ more frequently than the Active Rock/Modern Alternative Metal crowds that was at the Disturbed show) give them a good amount of appreciation for it. 

Speaking of the crowd, the people around me were friendly enough except for one couple that was really really drunk, especially the guy since he was bumping into people and somewhat spilling his drink.  Didn't really ruin my enjoyment of the show, but it was an observation that had to be made.  Some people came from Seattle and other parts of the world to see this show and I know a couple of people from the Download Festival Forum traveled all the way from England just to see this show (well, one guy from England wanted to take a vacation to San Diego and this show just so happens to be within the time he is in California, so of course, he's going to take the chance to see this).

The next rock band that would come out would be Foo Fighters and everyone was on the feet for this one.  They played a deep Soundgarden track, No Attention, off of the Down on the Upside album.  They throw in a couple of covers songs (and not the kind of covers that they normally would play in their shows).  It was all right, but their set wasn't as great as when I saw them in 2015 (shockingly, that was during the tour where Dave Grohl had to play on his throne since his leg was broken).  Everyone else, but Dave, left, and he was going to go all "Dave Grohl's story time" mode, which I will always nourish.  He stated how the one guy that would really appreciate this particular show (especially the part where part of the proceeds would go to a charity that Chris really supported) would sadly not be here for this and then closed the Foo Fighers set with Everlong, which of course, everyone sang along to.

Another cool thing the show did in between sets was they would show footage of who Chris Cornell is as a person.  His life, his music, his efforts as a humanitarianism, and the people who knew him and the celebrities that knew him.  They showed live footage of a Soundgarden song from back in the old days before they really took off with Badmotorfinger and Superunknown where they were in a small club and Cornell was really at the peak of his sex appeal which had his long Jesus hair, his shirtless chisel chest, his voice was in primetime mode, and all of the energy that came with it.  Honestly, if you ask me, he really looked a more ampted of version of Robert Plant in the 70s if Robert Plant broke through in the 90s.  At some point, the video screen also highlighted some songs for his acoustic shows and the charm that comes with it, including one of my favorite tracks from anything he's done, I Am The Highway.

The next band showed up and Jimmy Kimmel introduced this band as the following.  In the times he had bands show up and play on his show, they would do a small set outside of the studio they do the Jimmy Kimmel Show (short plug here.  Alter Bridge did one of those sets on Jimmy Kimmel in 2011, at their peak of mainstream rock recognition on the backs of AB III and their biggest single in radio, Isolation.  All right, sorry about that, back to the main story).  He stated that there were only two cases that there had to be full security coverage during those sets, but you don't know what's going to go down in those sets.  One of them was Lionel Richie, because, as Kimmel put it, he's Lionel Richie.  The other band was none other than Audioslave which segues nicely to Audioslave doing their set and the crowd was on their feet for this again.  Only Tom Morello and Brad Wilk showed up as the original members of Audioslave.  Don't know why Tim Commerford didn't show up, but I'm sure he had his reasons.  No matter, they had more than a suitable replacement on the bass and none other than Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler and played Cochise (with Jane Addiction's Perry Farrell on vocals), Be Yourself (Juliette Lewis singing this one), Set It Off (with Rise Against's Tim McIlrath), and Like A Stone (with Brandi Carlile).  My goodness, Audioslave put out the best set yet and the funk part of it got people going and the best crowd reaction so far was Like A Stone singing along to the closing chorus.  You think that would be great to end the Audioslave on a good note like that right?  Wrong!  They took this to a bigger ending by having Metallica's Robert Trujillo on bass and Dave Grohl singing Show Me How to Live.  Holy cow, you try singing along with Dave Grohl on that song and see if you can keep up with his natural aura that Dave Grohl can bring.  My voice was really cracked at that point at the end of that one.  My goodness, the Audioslave set was going to be really hard to top.  I don't envy the next band that had to follow that.

That stated, while we were waiting in between bands, Chris's family members came out and thanked us for being here.  His wife came out and talked about the usual great things about him.  One of the more bittersweet part of the show, though, was when his daughter, Toni, came out with Ziggy Marley (Bob Marley's son) and they played Bob Marley's Redemption Song which was a track that Chris would play in his solo shows from time to time.  You just can't help, but feel in sorrow during that moment and it was a lovely performance.

The next heavy band on the set was introduced by Jack Black.  He get the crowd warmed-up by delivering his version of the chorus of Spoonman.  He pondered whether or not Chris Cornell actually hit a note that didn't actually exist in the world and if that note can open portals to another world.  Then after 5 minutes of buttering up this crowd, the next band was still not ready and Jack Black had that "I didn't prepare enough material for this" look to him and was looking to take requests from the crowd to sing something (No, he wasn't going to do Freebird, he stated).  Then, some "random" guitar player in black came out and play the bridge to Metallica's One (the "Darkness imprisoning me. All that I see. Absolute horror." part) and Jack Black sang along to that part.  Oh yeah, that guitar player?  It was FRIKEN JAMES HETFIELD OF METALLICA!!!  Thankfully, for Jack Black, he can finally introduced Metallica to the stage and then they went on to play that bridge to One.  Before they got to lyrics part, Jack Black already left and James paused and stated "Where's our lead singer?"

So Metallica went on to do their set and it's not really every day you get to go to a concert and witness Metallica live in person and holy cow, the venue was electrifying for that one.  They went on to play two deep cuts from Soundgarden's Ultramega OK.  The cool part was they played For Whom the Bell Tolls and MASTER OF PUPPETS!!!  I never saw Metallica live and probably will never get to see them live (due to ticket prices being too darn expensive for me to pay), so holy cow, to watch them play Master of Puppets live was an absolute highlight and the crowd, obviously, was so into it.  Now I really do want to see them in their own show.  I just hope the price would not be too horrifying.

Afterwards, at that point, it was starting to get late around 11:00PM and there were two key bands left for the night.  Temple of the Dog and Soundgarden.  Temple of the Dog came out and did their set and everyone was on their feet again.  Oddly, they stated that they were not going to do Temple of the Dog yet and wanted to do stuff from Euphoria Morning and then everyone sat back down.  Another cool highlight was when Alice in Chains' Jerry Cantrell and William Duvall came out and play Soundgarden's Hunted Down.  Then they finally got going to play the Temple of the Dog stuff: Reach Down, All Night Thing.  Miley Cyrus came back out to sing "Say Hello 2 Heaven" and quite frankly, it did not suck at all while the Temple of the Dog set closed with the appropriate song for them, Hunger Strike, with Chris Stapleton filling in the Eddie Vedder parts and Brandi Carlile doing Chris' part.

Unfortunately, it was 11:30 PM at that point and I was really tired at that point and had to make the rather tough decision to take off and go home and sadly, miss the Soundgarden set.  It was raining really hard, I was really tired, and I knew leaving now would mean less traffic to get out the Forum.  I think I made the right call as I got home at 12:30PM (could have gotten home sooner if I didn't get a little lost trying to find the entrance to the 405 freeway and if someone didn't get pulled over by the police at midnight at the 405 which caused a traffic jam).  Apparently, the Soundgarden set was solid.  People liked The Pretty Reckless' Taylor Momsen on the vocals and Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins helped out as well with singing The Day I Tried to Live.

Overall, looking back at this long post, I had a great night out.  I think going into this show, everything worked out as great as it can be.  I was there for four hours.  Got to hear a lot of great songs that spans Chris Cornell's catalogs from Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, Audioslave, and solo.  The downside was I didn't hear an actual live performance of "I Am The Highway," "You Know My Name," or "Burden in My Hand," but that was a small gripe to this great show.  I would easily say it was worth paying the $95.00 for the very nosebleed seat (was in the 200 sections row 24) that I paid, but I wouldn't want to do that again for any event in the near future.  I still enjoyed the Disturbed show better though mainly due to better venue organization, better view for the price I paid (paid $40.00 to be in row 18 in the 200s) and the songs and crowd atmosphere was tailoring more to me than the tribute show.  Nonetheless, this was a great night for music and I think the people that was a part of that show and organized that show should be proud of what they accomplished.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:14:33 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2019, 04:46:22 PM »

Editied to add TYS and AW

March 24th- Dream Theater
May 3rd- Thank You Scientists
May 28th- Alien Weaponry
May 29th- Riverside

This year is getting busy...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »
Gutted that I can't get out of work to see Mastodon tonight 😭

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2019, 03:34:25 AM »
Anguyen,  sounds like a crazy show.

Heading to LA now for work, seeing Elton John Wedneaday at Staples Center is so far looking likely to happen.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2019, 04:58:24 AM »
Is this going to be your first time seeing Elton John?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
Added Neal Schon's Journey Through Time to the list for 2019.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »
February:
Lazuli
Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy
InVertigo and Melanie Mau/Martin Schnella

June:
Midsummer Prog Festival (line-up complete: IQ, Focus, Jolly, Pure Reson Revolution, The Flower Kings, The Intersphere)

July:
XIV Night of the Prog (so far: Nick Mason, IQ, The Steve Hillage Band, Ranest Rane, t, In Continuum, Dilemma, Karcicus, Oak, The Windmill)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »

First and likely last

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
February:
Lazuli
Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy
InVertigo and Melanie Mau/Martin Schnella

June:
Midsummer Prog Festival (line-up complete: IQ, Focus, Jolly, Pure Reson Revolution, The Flower Kings, The Intersphere)

July:
XIV Night of the Prog (so far: Nick Mason, IQ, The Steve Hillage Band, Ranest Rane, t, In Continuum, Dilemma, Karcicus, Oak, The Windmill)

You get IQ twice in as many months. I've seen them twice in 25 years, and I had to travel 3k miles for one of those shows. I'm in the wrong fucking country man.

(In Continuum kicked ass at Progstock btw)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »
 :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
February: Omnium Gatherum at a local club this Friday
August: Rammstein in Tampere

Still not sure if I'll go to Tuska or not.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
The first set of dates for Devin Townsend's Empath tour was released today. And there's a very high probability I might attend one of the shows on that tour.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »

Just bought tickets for A.C.T so this is my 2019 so far...

2019-02-23 Stockholm Waterfront - Steven Wilson

2019-03-05 Stockholm Nalen - Pineapple Thief and O.R.k

2019-03-31 Stockholm Kraken - Riverside and Lesoir

2019-04-01 Stockholm Skandiascenen - The Neal Morse Band

2019-05-02 Stockholm Fryshuset - Avantasia

2019-06-01 Stockholm Bryggarsalen - A.C.T

2019-09-15 Tillburg 013 - Ayreon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
Got a suite seat for the sold out Elton John concert at the Staples Center tonight.  Tried using the facebook event page to buy a ticket and I got so many scammers after me, which ending up with me trolling them back so the laughs were worth the annoyance in the end (debating about tweeting the conversation with one because it was just too funny but also ended up being disgusting on my own part  :lol), but I did get a stubhub ticket for $160 after fees.  Not bad.  :hat Heading out soon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »
Saw BOC in January.
The Neal Morse Band in February.
Queensryche/Fates Warning in March.
DT in April.
Riverside in May.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »

First and likely last

You're going to have a hell of a time. He is amazing live. When i saw him it it was like seeing Tom Petty in the sense that you forget how many hits he has.

I just saw my favorite guitar player Michael Kelsey is coming to town in March. I'm surprised because when I went last time I was one of like 3 people there to see him. Ticket prices this time are $3. I don't even know how he makes money.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »
I've got tickets to see Marillion 5 times this year - that's excessive, even for me. Nothing else on the radar yet, hope some good shows announced soon coz I need cheering up!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »

First and likely last

You're going to have a hell of a time. He is amazing live. When i saw him it it was like seeing Tom Petty in the sense that you forget how many hits he has.

Yea, not only the hits, but wow he played for over 2.5 hours straight essentially.  Left stage for a bit before Funeral for Friend (which was probably the highlihgt of the night because he came back with all the smoke around the piano which was really cool looking) and the encore but otherwise just kept playing the piano non stop and singing.  Awesome performance and the percussionists added a lot to the live sound.  I had an absolute blast.  I'll make a full video when I get home (I was such an ass in my mostly empty suite similar to the Ghost concert  :lol)  But I got a couple of the hits:

Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting LIVE @ Staples Center LA
Elton John - Rocket Man LIVE @ Staples Center LA

Online pg1067

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
Going to see YYNOT on Saturday.  REALLY looking forward to it!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2019, 06:09:46 AM »

Just bought tickets for IQ so this is my 2019 so far...

2019-02-23 Stockholm Waterfront - Steven Wilson

2019-03-05 Stockholm Nalen - Pineapple Thief and O.R.k

2019-03-31 Stockholm Kraken - Riverside and Lesoir

2019-04-01 Stockholm Skandiascenen - The Neal Morse Band

2019-05-02 Stockholm Fryshuset - Avantasia

2019-06-01 Stockholm Bryggarsalen - A.C.T

2019-09-15 Tillburg 013 - Ayreon

2019-09-21 Stockholm Fryshuset Klubben - IQ

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Bought a ticket for Devin Townsend today. So in November I'm going to see him live on the Empath tour. This also marks the first time I'll see him play live, missed the chance the last two times he's been to Norway. Not gonna repeat that a third time.  :metal
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
Any word on what his live band is going to be for the Empath tour?  Or if he is doing a full Devin set or is it just going to be Empath?  He's fantastic live, seen him three times now and am waiting for him to announce NA dates.

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
Any word on what his live band is going to be for the Empath tour?  Or if he is doing a full Devin set or is it just going to be Empath?  He's fantastic live, seen him three times now and am waiting for him to announce NA dates.

He said this in an article I found; "I am proud to announce that for the first 'band' tour of the 'Empath' cycle, I am going to stretch my wings in ways I have not had the opportunity to do before and tour with a 'backing band' that can shift and morph as the music dictates instead of adhering to a click track."

And also this; "I have spent considerable effort think about the things I wanted to do for these shows, and one thing I came out of DTP with was the awareness that I wanted to incorporate a more improvisational element to what I do. With the best players I can find, my plan is to interpret my back catalogue, as well as the 'Empath' material, in ways that may change nightly. less computers, and less of a rigid structure. I want to use 'Volume 1' as a way to bring my music to people in a potentially new way. People playing music..."

So yeah, it would seem he's mixing it up a bit each night.

Source by the way, from Prog. https://www.loudersound.com/news/devin-townsend-announces-empath-european-tour-dates

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2019, 11:49:53 AM »
oh wow thats really awesome, definitely would want to check that out and maybe even do multiple dates if he really is changing things up nightly, including the older material  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
2019 is going to be the biggest concert year for me in years.

Feb 12th- Elton John
Feb 23rd- Between the Buried and Me
March 1- Neal Morse Band
August 9th- Slash (Probably)
August 25th- Iron Maiden

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
Booked my first show in the relative summertime.  Also, first show in my local amphitheater for the year and it's the day after my birthday.  Coming full circle for this one.

Shinedown with Badflower, Dinosaur Pile-Up, and Broken Hands opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 21st, 2019.

Shinedown was for a good part of my life, my second favorite band ever, and their show at the LA County Fair in Pomona in 2013 was the first ever concert that I can recall ever going to.  Got to see them for free as you only needed admission to the County Fair and my community college was handing out free admission to the County Fair on that particular day.  That stated, sure, their last two albums were not as enjoyable to me, but a show of a band I like is still worth going to.  Now I get to see them at my local Amphitheater for only $25.00 thanks to a deal on Groupon.  This seat is a little further to the far left of the venue than when I saw Lindsey Stirling/Evanescence, last year, but I manage to score a third row ticket in the 300 sections, so it should be a better view than when I saw Shinedown in 2013.

My current list now.

Nothing More with Of Mice and Men opening - Belasco Theater, Los Angeles, CA - February 22nd, 2019.
Within Temptation with In Flames opening - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - March 19th, 2019
Dream Theater - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - March 21st, 2019
Switchfoot - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA - April 5th, 2019
Shinedown with Badflower, Dinosaur Pile-Up, and Broken Hands opening - FivePoint Amphitheater, Irvine, CA - July 21st, 2019.
Iron Maiden with Fozzy and The Raven Age opening - Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA - September 14th, 2019

I noted that Zac Brown Band has also announced their two shows at the FivePoint Amphitheater in July.  I do want to go to that as from I've seen in proshots, they are a great live band and they deliver a variety of solid covers.  Tickets for even the worst seats there are too steep though, around $70-90 for the upper rows in the 300s.  Hopefully, there will be a Groupon offer of these shows that I can buy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:25:48 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your concerts for 2019: Delain w/ Last Union in Moscow, RU - Feb 16th
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
Alright, so with the lack of discussion in this thread, I hope you guys don't mind if I post my concert experiences here, similar to how Cram posts his YouTube videos. I could reasonably do it in the band threads, but as I have a lot of concerts for this year (by my standards), I would prefer to keep it in one thread, and creating a new thread just for that certainly seems idiotic. The premise is that I post my thoughts of the experience at the same night I was at the concert, so I still remember lots of details and I'm still high (or low) on the whole gig atmosphere.

If this doesn't belong in this thread, simply delete this post and I'll repost this in Delain thread.

Delain (headliner) with Last Union (support) at Izvestiya Hall, Moscow, Russia - Feb 16th, 2019

The Premise

While all the responsible and irresponsible people made their New Year resolutions, which—and I'm not trying to mock anyone, except myself—are usually include losing weight, hitting the gym, deal with your internal problems, make the relationship with your significant other better, I made one New Year resolution for myself. You see, in 2018 the amount of concerts I went to was ridiculously low, perhaps two or three, and I wanted to fix it this year. Not only that, but since 2016—which is pretty much everyone stopped attending concerts with me, either because I was insufferable (which I don't think I was, and I asked), or because my friends started to settle down, had kids, grew older, their backs are aching, concerts aren't that fun anymore, you know—since 2016, I don't remember a single concert I put any effort in. I always would arrive right before the beginning, settle down near the bar, grab a beer and watch the distant silhouettes of my favourite artists bounce back and forth, left and right on the scene. This year, I decided to change that.

So my stupid New Year resolution was, basically, to attempt to get to the first row at every GA concert I'm attending this year, if the concert day doesn't interfere with work (in which case it's simply not possible). I wasn't even sure if that was doable, but today was my first playtest, so to speak. Today, Delain—whose music I discovered about two years ago and missed their last concert in Moscow—were playing on Saturday in my city, and I wasn't about to miss it. Besides, my vacation to Hamburg is about to begin, and this was a good way to get back into the concert mood, as the last concert I visited was iamthemorning, all seated, in a proper theatre, autumn 2018 if I remember correctly.

As stupid as my resolution sounds, it absolutely worked, because I had a blast today.

The Venue

There are a few venues in Moscow that dare to host metal concerts, and I pretty much visited all of them—except you never know, because they keep being shut down (mostly because of the fire safety issues, which in our country means that you didn't give enough money to the fire safety inspector), and sometimes new venues arise and older ones crumble, but this time, the venue was the one I've never visited, and as I researched it, it mostly hosted some of the very popular artists of non-metal scene. So that was surprising. It was also quite near the center of the town, which made it convenient to get to.

Now, the venue itself wasn't much—and I didn't get the chance to really see it, as I rushed to the first row and after the show I just exhaustedly slumped against the scene for a few minutes; but its tactical position was excellent: there was a McDonalds nearby, so in case you needed to use a toilet—and after four and a half hours on a street in winter you probably need to—it was there, and if you also wanted to have a beer, there was this little shop on the corner which had it (I didn't find it until I left the venue), and if you drank a few beers and needed to pee, hey, there's a McDonalds nearby.

I was, I think, ~10th in line, and I arrived 4,5 hours before the doors were to be opened, and I used the McDonalds trick once, and then the doors were opened and I ran—well, technically, first I went through the security check, and then I got rid of my coat, and then I ran—past the merchandise stand to the scene, where the best places right in front of the mic were already taken. Well, I settled down a few places to the right, directly against the guitar player space.

The Show

First we had Last Union as an opener, a female-fronted progressive metal band from Italy. They played a forty-minutes long set, and the problem is, the sound was horrible. I'm not a sound guy, so I wouldn't know what exactly was wrong, but you couldn't hear the singer at all, and all you could hear were bass, drums and rhythm guitars. Good thing that I brought my earplugs, I thought, but even after I plugged them in, I still struggled to hear the singer in about half of the moments. They seemed tight, and the songs seemed good enough—I'm not exactly familiar with the songs, although I checked out their latest album called Twelve because JLB was on it (more on that later)—so if it wasn't for the sound, it would've been a better opener than we usually get. Mostly, opening bands at Russian gigs suck, but sometimes you strike gold with them. So here are, of course, some godlike quality photos from my phone:

The crowd received Last Union well, but you could feel they were pumped for Delain. The local fan club also prepared a little thing to surprise the band—they were handing out pieces of red cloth to everyone in the first few rows with instructions to tie them around your wrist and then pull them off and wave them during a certain section of Masters of Destiny, which we successfully did. Delain opened with Go Away, then played Masters of Destiny and from the front row you could tell by the look on the band's faces that they were at least a little bit surprised and honored as we started waving those pieces of red cloth like we were mad. Charlotte mentioned it right after the song, and I love little things like that—they always make for an interesting experience both for the fans and the band.

The setlist was heavily Moonbathers-oriented, with two new songs from Hunter's Moon and some of the older material. The Human Contradiction was featured a bit with two or three songs, and of course there were some setlist staples like We Are the Others. Charlotte dominated the stage, which, for me—as it was my first time seeing Delain live—came as a surprise; she has fantastic stage presence. The sound was improved a lot compared to the Last Union: it wasn't overwhelmingly loud, you could hear Charlotte just fine, and I ended up ditching my earplugs during Go Away, the very first song of the set. As the set was drawing to a close—after a half-assed attempt of an encore, where the band was off stage for like 30 seconds, just enough for Charlotte and Otto to shrug off their jackets—jumping and headbanging to the chorus of We Are the Others, I found myself to be absolutely exhausted and brimming with joy and happiness.

I also should note how the crowd was engaged during the whole show. Was it Charlotte's work, or was it just the fact that Delain is loved in Russia, I don't know, but I can only name a few shows where the crowd was as enthusiastic as they were here, which are probably Sabaton and Powerwolf in Moscow (both bands have a huge fanbase here) and Edguy in Koln, which I was lucky to see during my vacation in 2017 (the crowd knew and sang every fucking song). We were really loud today, and while it has become a routine (and probably always was) for the band to say "hey, you are a brilliant, fantastic audience!", and while it's probably was the same fake thing today, somehow for me it felt that this time we deserved it. Maybe it's just the magic of the whole concert experience returning to me after a really dry year. That doesn't make it less enjoyable, though.

The Aftermath

The band did their final bow, left, and we were left standing there, sweaty, tired and delighted. I wandered over to the bar to grab an overpriced beer as I wanted something to wet my throat with after 100 minutes of screaming and singing, and then we started to slowly leave the venue, as apparently there was another concert there that night, so the security began ushering us towards the exit. That was when I noticed the Last Union guitar player (the one with salt-and-pepper hair, I sadly don't know his name) standing there absolutely alone, which was weird enough, so I approached him for a quick conversation before security could force me out of the building. In the true nature of DTF, I asked him about JLB. :lol Well, first I complimented him on the show and on their last album, and then I asked him about JLB's involvement on the album. This is probably old news for everyone here, and someone probably covered it in some interviews, but hey, there goes. He admitted he didn't speak English too well (so basically he's like me), but he said the whole thing with JLB started with the band e-mailing him, being huge fans of his work in DT, and it went on and on for a year or more (I guess they were messaging back and forth to set the date, or perhaps JLB just took a year to respond? He was a bit unclear on that point and I didn't ask further), and JLB listened to the material Last Union sent him and liked it, so he agreed. I also asked if they were expecting JLB to agree or if they were surprised this actually went through and happened, and he said it was totally the latter. At this point people noticed the guy and ran to take pictures with him, so I wished him and the band all the best and went to grab my coat back.

This was a hell of a way to start my concert year, because, honestly, the sheer energy during Delain's set was incredible. As it was finished, I was utterly exhausted, thirsty and aching in a few places, and even as I type it now, I'm pretty sure tomorrow my throat, my legs and my back are going to feel the ramifications of this night (and I know, I'm only 25, so shut up fogey folks :P). Hopefully I didn't catch a cold standing for 4,5 hours in the wind before the venue entrance. But even as it is, it was worth it. This gig reminded me why I love music so much, and why I loved going to see my favourite bands so much, and as this year goes on, I fondly look at the stack of tickets on my desk, and wonder what kind of magic will those bands pull out of their sleeves on their shows—because they'll have to work hard to top Delain. This was a fantastic experience.

Next up if anyone's interested in these kind of posts: Steven Wilson's show in Hamburg on Feb 20th
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
 :metal Delain is really fun band, they are on my list for 2019

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
March 28th - Muse in Toronto Ontario
April 4th- Dream Theater in Toronto Ontario
September 14th - King Crimson in Toronto Ontario
September 17th- Steve Hackett in Oakville Ontario

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
So far for this year (already happened or tickets are already purchased):

February 13th- Neal Morse Band, Jersey City NJ
February 16th- Neal Morse Band, Glenside PA
April 10th- Dream Theater, Red Bank NJ
April 12th- Dream Theater, New York NY
April 13th- Dream Theater, Philadelphia PA
May 3rd- Winery Dogs, New York NY
May 19th- Thank You Scientist, Brooklyn NY
June 8th- Mastodon/Coheed and Cambria, Camden NJ

I'm also considering grabbing tickets for Tony Macalpine in NYC next month and Riverside at a venue near my office in Jersey City for May. Also thinking Morsefest in August is a real possibility considering how great the NMB shows this week were.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »
Two of those DT and TWD are on my list as well  :yarr

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:23 PM »
:metal
Photobucket sucks.

Online pg1067

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
Going to see YYNOT on Saturday.  REALLY looking forward to it!

A little late with a follow up.  The YYNOT show was absolutely killer!!!  They played 6 songs off their self-titled debut album and a shitload of Rush covers.  Here's the set list:  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yynot/2019/alvas-showroom-san-pedro-ca-395c17b.html

The venue was killer.  It felt like a a rehearsal room in the back of a music store.  It sat less than 100 people, and my friend and I sat literally 10 feet in front of the bass player.  The band was tight, and they stuck around on stage after the show talking to everyone.  They have some shows coming up in Massapequa, NY and Stroudsburg, PA ( https://yynotband.com/shows ).  I strongly encourage anyone in the area to check them out.

More recently....last week, I took my 15 year old daughter to see what appears to be her favorite band, Panic at the Disco.  There were two opening acts.  We missed the first entirely and only caught the last couple of songs by someone called Two Feet.  It was basically a guy making noise on his guitar and vaguely singing, while another guy "played" beats on some sort of electronic percussion and did other samples and such.  Absolutely awful.

In the interim, before PITD started, they played a bunch of Beatles -- specifically early Beatles.  While I prefer later Beatles, I took this as a good sign.  Going into this, I had heard only 2-3 PITD songs, and I didn't really remember any of them.  I was pleasantly surprised.  The base band was guitar, bass, drums and vocals, and they had a trio of string players (violin, viola and cello) and a trio of horn players (sax, trombone and trumpet) who were on and off the stage, depending on the song (the singer also picked up a guitar for 1-2 songs and played piano on a couple others).  My understanding is that the singer is the only "official member" of the "band," and his vocals were lights out.  What an incredible range this guy had.  The energy was there throughout the approximately two hour show, and they played a KILLER cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody."  I'm not going to run out and buy a bunch of their stuff, but this band had chops and catchy, upbeat songs, so I really enjoyed myself.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
They are doing a ticket to rock sort of thing where you get a ticket to 3 different shows at your local shed and it lists all the bands but no dates.  So I guess you get the discount if you are willing to risk the dates.  But some of this stuff has leaked anyway so I *think* I am adding these to my list:

July 6th - Slipknot, Volbeat, Behemoth, Gojira @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 31st - Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Three Days Grace @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

There's one more touring pair, Korn and Alice in Chains, that I'd like to see but I haven't found the leaked date for it yet.  Also at the same venue.

Then it seems very likely I have to travel next week meaning I will miss the Disturbed/Three Days Grace concert at MSG  :censored but also opens up seeing Greta Van Fleet next week in Amsterdam  :hat  We shall see.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Holy butts.  Thanks for the heads up Cramx3.  That Breaking Benjamin/Chevelle/ Three Days Grace touring is playing in Irvine on September 16th.  Two days after Maiden.  That’s an easy ticket buy depending on prices in the 300 sections.  Heck Breaking Benjamin was on Groupon for last year’s show.  They may show up on Groupon as well.  Never seen Chevelle but I hear good thing about them and heard their big songs on radio.

The only thing I hope for is that the Alter Bridge album listening party I am going to does not lie in the same week as Iron Maiden and Breaking Benjamin.