Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 78915 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (FINAL first impressions 2 of 2)
« Reply #1295 on: September 30, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »
yeah, i have no clue  :metal

i'm gonna shoot you if #9 is about mine because it is indeed "a lot of fun."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (FINAL first impressions 2 of 2)
« Reply #1296 on: September 30, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »
i'm gonna shoot you
Sounds like a proportionate reaction.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1297 on: September 30, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
i'm gonna shoot you
Sounds like a proportionate reaction.
See, there he goes threatening the moderator again  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1298 on: September 30, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
don't test me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1299 on: September 30, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
I’m dead.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1300 on: September 30, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
You literally already lost, you're just playing for 4th place :P

And here I am beating a dead horse

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: September 30, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
Parama's emoticon in Indiscipline's:

:deadhorse:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1302 on: September 30, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
You calling me a horse?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1303 on: September 30, 2018, 12:50:12 PM »
You're right, you're not nearly majestic enough to be a horse. More like an angry donkey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: September 30, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
More like an angry donkey

I believe that's the band we're featuring in our weekly album thread right now!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1305 on: September 30, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
No that's Arrogant Axolotl

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1306 on: September 30, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »
#12 is probably Wintersun, and several of those could work for Ótta. Most of the first impressions are positive vibes so I'm not really worried :tup
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Should be good to start posting results starting tomorrow.

Order of results, in case not obvious:

6th place
5th and 4th place
---------
3rd place
Runner up and winner

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Ready to die  :metal

Do you have a good idea of the winner is by now?  :corn
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:53:06 PM by Parama »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I guarantee I'll be 6th. Tony Sly will be too generic and Chthonic too extreme  :facepalm:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Do you have a good idea of the winner is by now?  :corn
The winner is the thing I have the least good idea of. Partly because I've focused my listening on the 4th place match to start with (as those results come first) but also because, based on what listening I have done, it feels really close.

FEELING TENSE ENOUGH YET?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I hope I rank better than luke

Offline LordCost

Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (FINAL hangmang)
« Reply #1312 on: October 01, 2018, 03:20:51 PM »
Nah, that's The Tea Club - Quickly Quickly Quickly

Pretty good album
I did not comment before because I didn't want to spoil I was the sender of that album, but if you have guessed The Tea Club and Shaolin Death Squad in Elite's roulette I'm worried about having enough music for your roulette  :lol. I saw that you have rated a lot of albums on Progarchives and I discovered The Tea Club on that site because that album was the top rated one of 2012, although I've seen now that the album has fallen in the 7th position for that year.

I have no idea if ariich likes or dislikes both albums. I hope one of them is the one described as a gem of an album.
I listened yesterday to Quickly Quickly Quickly and Firebears is now definitely my favourite track, even if I have enjoyed all of them in various periods.
I think the production on the Aereogramme album will be a weak point, but I hope you'll like a lot the ballads like Black Path or In Gratitude.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I have a better ask, do you have a good idea of who's coming in third yet?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have a pretty good idea who's coming in 6th.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (6TH PLACE)
« Reply #1315 on: October 02, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
I have a better ask, do you have a good idea of who's coming in third yet?
A pretty good idea.

Anyway, let's do this.

Fourth place match results, part 1 of 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
6TH PLACE: TAC

Fields Of The Nephilim – The Nephilim (1988)

First impression: I like the moody vibe, but that might be about it. A lot of it didn't interest me much and I'm not really a fan of the vocals.

Final opinion: Eh, you were right to be worried. :lol About half the songs are pretty good. The Watchmen, Moonchild and Celebrate in particular have some nice stuff. There’s a moody vibe throughout that’s pretty cool, in those songs plus a couple of others. In general the songs I like are those where the atmosphere is a bit more evocative, and also where the vocals are clearer. For about half the album, he just seems to mumble away and it really doesn’t do it for me. And unfortunately, even in the half of the album I do like, I don’t find any of it exciting enough to make up for the stuff that I don’t like. Sorry dude, I appreciate you sending something different and introducing me to a band I’ve often heard of but never checked out. I don’t hate it, but this was a bit of a miss.
Score: 6.0

Sky Empire – The Dark Tower (2018)
First impression: Pretty good stuff, though not particularly original and I'm not yet sure about the singer.

Final opinion: Well, you definitely get the award for Newest Album Submitted, given it had only been out a day! And overall it’s a solid debut, although it definitely suffers from sounding far too much like DT (SDOIT/TOT-era especially) a lot of the time. I’ll mostly forgive them - everybody needs to start somewhere - but it’s just too much at times. They would definitely benefit from crafting their own style a bit, or at least using a wider range of influences. The album is at its strongest in a lot of the instrumental passages. The playing is consistently superb, and some of the sections are really well-crafted. Still not desperately original, but really top notch, right up there with bands like DT and Haken who are normally the masters of the prog metal unison. There are also some solid hooks in some places (Sorcerer’s Apprentice has some very memorable melodies in particular) but other vocal sections aren’t nearly as strong. Overall, a promising start for this band, enough to keep me paying attention in future, but they’ll need to do something a bit different if they want to keep my interest.
Score: 7.5

Variety score: 2.5/5
A lower-mid score here. Some differences - as you pointed out, one very old and one very very new, plus Sky Empire is clearly a lot heavier, faster and flashier. But broadly speaking, both are serious rock albums, proggy, and pretty much all in minor keys. In terms of the range of music I listen to, they’re not too different really.

Total score = 6.0 + 7.5 + 2.5 = 16.0

You’ve been on quite a journey in this roulette, Tim. Thanks again for the awesome stuff you sent me - shame the semis and finals couldn’t keep up the momentum you’d built in the group stage!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1316 on: October 02, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
Based on how you argumented that variety score I'm expecting about 3.5 :corn
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1317 on: October 02, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
i'm expecting to score better than TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1318 on: October 02, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
i'm expecting to score better than TAC

Shouldn’t be too hard.  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1319 on: October 02, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »
Henceforth this roulette shall be renamed The Rise And Fall Of TAC.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1320 on: October 02, 2018, 11:54:42 AM »
e n d m e

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1321 on: October 02, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
Patience young padawan. Tomorrow will be 4th and 5th place. You'll need to wait until Thursday to find out you've come third.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1322 on: October 02, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
 :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:  :sadpanda:

Screw the losers bracket nobody cares about their results :neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1323 on: October 02, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
Henceforth this roulette shall be renamed The Rise And Fall Of TAC.

Well, at lest I kept my streak alive as the Last Standing Fogey. I'm happy with that!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1324 on: October 03, 2018, 02:39:38 AM »
Making good progress with more listening, so I think I should be able to post results faster than one a day after all. Watch this space.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (5TH & 4TH PLACE)
« Reply #1326 on: October 03, 2018, 04:38:55 AM »
Fourth place match results, part 2 of 2
Part 1 (6th place) here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2478556#msg2478556

5TH PLACE: LordCost

The Tea Club – Quickly Quickly Quickly (2012)

First impression: This sounded good, although I was a little distracted and much of it didn't grab my attention. Further listens needed.

Final opinion: This definitely feels like a grower, and there’s quite a lot to take in. It’s melodic, but the tunes are often slightly unusual. And it’s very proggy/art-rock-esque, so the songs are all rather sweeping, covering lots of different ideas. I’m not surprised I didn’t really take it in on first listen, as it can quite easily drift by in the background. I like it though, lots of really good stuff. Definitely a 70s prog influence, but as you noted in your submission, a modern twist too. Kind of reminds me of bands like The Flower Kings in that way, but bringing in other influences like Pain of Salvation and Radiohead. I’m not sure why you were worried about the vocals, I think they suit the music very well. I was undecided on whether to give this a 7.5 or 8.0, but it’s got better with each listen so I feel it appropriate to give the higher rating!
Score: 8.0

Aereogramme – Sleep & Release (2003)

First impression: This is certainly very dynamic, but for some reason it didn’t grab me too much on first listen.

Final opinion: There’s something quite exciting and dynamic about this album, but at the same time it doesn’t really grab me all that much. There are some great moments for sure, and I like that the album covers so much ground in terms of styles and moods, but those great moments are few and far between and most of it strikes me as good but nothing special. Overall it’s an interesting blend of post-hardcore and Smashing Pumpkins style alt-rock, but what I find quite exciting is the way it moves between a lot of different ideas and influences. I’m sure some people would find the gear-shifts between tracks fairly off-putting, but I quite enjoy them actually. They keep the album unexpected and are done in a way that doesn’t jarr too much. But it’s held back from a higher rating by the individual songs themselves only occasionally doing it for me.

Variety score: 2.5/5

Like TAC, there are some obvious differences between these two albums, but overall and in the context of my tastes, they’re not all that distinct really. Two dynamic, proggy rock albums. One goes a lot heavier and is more serious, while the other is lighter and more airy, but they’re both guitar-driven rock albums with similar energy levels to each other.

Total score = 8.0 + 7.5 + 2.5 = 18.0

Dude, thanks again for taking part and sending me lots of good, interesting music. And especially thanks SO MUCH for Arcane Roots!

4TH PLACE: Luke

Chthonic – Bù-Tik (2013)

First impression: This is a lot of fun although maybe not as unique as I might have expected. I dig it though.

Final opinion: Yeah this is very enjoyable, but it’s a bit… monotone maybe? Props to you for sending Taiwanese black/death/thrash metal (as as you’ll see below, it was good for your variety score) but as much as I enjoy the album, I also find it just slightly disappointing. All the tracks are great, but they’re all basically the same, so on further listens the album gets less interesting as it goes on. Related to this, they also don’t really make any interesting use of the authentic Taiwanese folk instruments they use. There’s the odd short interlude, but otherwise stylistically this could be any western metal band. This wouldn’t bother me if the album had more variety, and the sameyness wouldn’t bother me if there was something more unusual and unique about the style. But the combination of both slightly brings down what would otherwise be an excellent album.

Tony Sly – 12 Song Program (2010)

First impression: This isn't at all what I was expecting, but what an absolute gem of an album.

Final opinion: I’ve never really listened to No Use For A Name, but I’m aware of Tony Sly as a punk/hardcore frontman who died due to possible overdose (it was mainly references in the latest NOFX album that prompted me to find out about him). I had no idea that, like Frank Turner, he moved completely away from that and into folk music for his solo work. Obviously this is very American where Turner is very English, and it’s also a lot mellower than most of Turner’s stuff, but otherwise I hear a lot of similarity. Also occasionally reminiscent of Ben Folds’ ballads, only guitar- rather than piano-based. This is very moving, and clearly deals with his own personal struggles in a very sincere way. And even though it’s all pretty laid-back folk music, there’s quite a variety of moods and ideas that keeps it fresh throughout (the short run-time helps too). When it finishes, I just want to put it back on again. It’s really, really lovely stuff.
Score: 9.0

Variety score: 4.5/5

This doesn’t warrant a full 5.0 because it’s certainly possible to be more different than this, but these are still pretty much as different as I would have expected in this roulette. The Chthonic is entirely riff-driven and pretty much non-stop heavy, where the Tony Sly is never remotely harsh, all very delicate and moving. You nailed the theme of the round, without a doubt, though as it happens you’d have achieved fourth place anyway on album ratings alone.

Total score = 7.5 + 9.0 + 4.5 = 21.0

I honestly nearly eliminated you in round one because I was really unsure about being able to manage 11 participants (needlessly, it turned out), but I’m so so glad I brought you through. Such variety of great music I wouldn’t have got from anyone else!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1327 on: October 03, 2018, 04:59:15 AM »
I'm in the top 3? :neverusethis: wow!

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1328 on: October 03, 2018, 05:10:52 AM »
Chuffed to finish in 4th but it's kind of bitter sweet. I was toying with sending 12 Song Program earlier in the roulette but thought it'd be a solid 7.5 at best. Wish I'd sent it earlier now as I might actually have been in the running to win this.

Cheers for having me as I'm glad to be able to send this sort of stuff and have it actually score well.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1329 on: October 03, 2018, 05:28:50 AM »
#1 This is damn epic. Takes elements of two particular bands I like and fuses them together well. I dig it.

#5 This has some amazing stuff. Not yet sure what I think about how it all fits together yet.

#8 I like it. Not the biggest fan of the production, but it’s very moody and atmospheric.

#10 This is really great, right up my alley but not like anything else this roulette. Reminds me of a couple of other bands but pretty different at the same time.

#11 Probably the best thing I’ve heard in this specific genre.

#12 This is very grand. A little on the cheesy side at times, perhaps, but extremely enjoyable.
Alright, I'll take a shot at this:

1: Xanthochroid
5: Solstafir
8: Gunship
10: fun.
11: Slice the Cake
12: Wintersun

Me and Parama likely have higher scores for the difference bonus, but based on this I'm gonna say me at #3, Luoto at #2 and Parama at #1. Feel like fun. could be a solid 9
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.