Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 78900 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 first impressions)
« Reply #840 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
They all read 7.5.
Correct, everybody gets 7.5, next round.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2018, 10:37:39 AM »
They all read 7.5.
Correct, everybody gets 7.5, next round, except Chad who continues his upward trend and gets a 9.0.

Fix'd... amirite??  :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #842 on: September 05, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
can we get some first results up in here  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 results 1-3/11)
« Reply #843 on: September 05, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
can we get some first results up in here  :corn
If you insist.

Round Four results, 1-3/11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hyperomm – From Nothing to Eternity (2017), submitted by TAC
First impression: Not really what I’d normally expect from the genre, but there’s a certain sense of fun that makes this rather enjoyable.

Final opinion: In my experience, melodic death metal is generally pretty serious, tending to either focus on the heavy side or going instead for mood. So this album was surprising in a way, as it doesn’t especially do either of those things and instead it’s got a real sense of fun and energy. It actually reminds me quite a lot of early-ish Children of Bodom - maybe not as atmospheric, but with a bit more variety and less reliance on the whole neo-classical metal schtick. As a result, I’m actually digging it more than Bodom - can’t say what staying power it will have, and the novelty might wear off a bit, but I can only rate albums based on my current opinion and right now I’m finding it really enjoyable. It’s also particularly impressive for a one-man band, a very nice example of the opportunity that modern technology provides to talented people who in days gone by probably wouldn’t have had the chance.
Score: 8.0

The Fall of Troy – Phantom on the Horizon (2008), submitted by Puppies
First impression: Don’t have a strong view on this from first listen. It sounds good, but there’s a lot going on so I’ll need to hear it some more.

Final opinion: This is really different, and so so so much better, than the other album I’ve heard by The Fall of Troy. I thought you were maybe being a bit risky sending this based on how I rated, but now I can see why you felt confident. This is very solid post-hardcore leaning towards full-on metal, with some fierce energy and great instrumental work. Definitely a Mars Volta vibe at times, in some of the quirkier melodic moments. But is also goes pretty intense on occasion. Which I don’t always find they do as well as the tuneful and technical stuff - some of the intense moments are great, but others leave me feeling pretty cold. That’s a fairly minor complaint though. Overall, this is excellent and it’ll definitely prompt me to give some more of their albums a try - grateful for recommendations!

Thumpermonkey – We Bake Our Bread Beneath Her Holy Fire (2010), submitted by LordCost
First impression: This is fairly weird stuff. Not really sure what to think so far.

Final opinion: After your high in the last round, this is rather less successful. It’s not bad at all, but like the Mr Bungle, there’s stuff that just doesn’t work for me really. I often like or even love music that’s quite weird, but obviously weirdness can take different forms and be executed in different ways. The rather discordant oddness that appears on this album and in Mr Bungle at times (and other music of course) really needs to hit me in the right place, but normally it doesn’t. That said, there’s still plenty to like on the album, and even in the bits where the music doesn’t do it for me, the singer has a great voice and a lot of character. At times he has the emotion of Daniel Gildenlow, while at others he has a dark epic style that sounds like the guy from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. There’s actually the occasional similarity with SGM, but without the distinct dark vibe that makes them so engaging (in their best stuff anyway). So yeah, this is good, but I don’t love it.
Score: 7.0

Ranking so far

1   LordCost  = 8.0 + 7.5 + 9.5 + 7.0 = 32.0
2   Puppies*  = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.5
3   TAC*       = 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.0
-----------------------------------------
?   Train       = 8.0 + 8.5 + 9.0 + ? = ?
?   Parama    = 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Lethean   = 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Luoto       = 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + ? = ?
?   Luke*      = 7.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Jingle*     = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Sacul*     = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Katt         = 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 + ? = ?

*on probation until round five

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #844 on: September 05, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Poor TAC, still not getting the 7.5 he loves so much

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #845 on: September 05, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
Poor TAC, still not getting the 7.5 he loves so much
Yeah, that's the second time in a row he's accidentally done too well.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #846 on: September 05, 2018, 01:21:13 PM »
Not sure I'd call getting .5 more than a 7.5 as doing too well. :lol

I tolerate the vocals for the most part on the Hyperomm, but I think musically it's amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #847 on: September 05, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
I tolerate the vocals for the most part on the Hyperomm, but I think musically it's amazing.
He's not the best death metal vocalist I've heard, but he's fine. I agree the strength is in the music, which is really enjoyable.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: September 05, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
I'll admit the hyperomm album kinda didn't do it as much for me on revisits but it's still a pretty solid record yeah

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #849 on: September 05, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Regarding Fall of Troy; the Ghostship is basically 'objectively' their best record (even though it was released as an EP), but I had 'Manipulator' in my album top 50, because that one means more to me. Their first two (of which you heard Doppelganger) are half good, half bad really, but Doppelganger does contain some great songs. In the Unlikely Event is TFOT not exactly at their best, but the album is more 'slick' and streamlined, which doesn't fully match with the rawer sound on Doppelganger and Manipulator. The band disbanded after In the Unlikely Event, but did a reunion years later, releasing 'OK', which I have never heard.

So, as far as recommendations go:

Manipulator.
In the Unlikely Event if you want the same sound, more streamlined; for rawer stuff go to their first two records.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #850 on: September 05, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
I wanted you to publish my result later this time :lol
Two days ago the new Thumpermonkey single called Veldt came out on bandcamp and I wanted to say to you to listen to the new song, maybe it would have helped the score of the album I sent to you, don't know why  :lol. But I was busy for work and other things and I didn't find the time to write here.
I think the new album would be more up your alley if it will mantain the same style. The album comes out at the end of October when this roulette is probably finished, so I couldn't sent it anyway, but hopefully in the future I could send them without losing points in almost every roulette  :lol

The stuff from Bake and the EP before Bring Me Sun For Breakfast is sometimes nerdy while still really original but can leave you a bit cold, while Veldt central part is really powerful and hit me emotionally when I listened to it for the first time. I'm actually waiting for that song to be released in studio for 4 years, after having seen a live recording of that song during the Tim Smith Benefit Concert in November 2013  :P

I'll leave the link here since I've talked a bit of that song.
https://thumpermonkey.bandcamp.com/album/make-me-young-etc

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #851 on: September 05, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »
Sent my final album.  :-[

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #852 on: September 05, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
Oh man there's only one more round before the semifinals huh

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #853 on: September 05, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
Well, I'm nothing if not consistent. Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding Fall of Troy; the Ghostship is basically 'objectively' their best record (even though it was released as an EP), but I had 'Manipulator' in my album top 50, because that one means more to me. Their first two (of which you heard Doppelganger) are half good, half bad really, but Doppelganger does contain some great songs. In the Unlikely Event is TFOT not exactly at their best, but the album is more 'slick' and streamlined, which doesn't fully match with the rawer sound on Doppelganger and Manipulator. The band disbanded after In the Unlikely Event, but did a reunion years later, releasing 'OK', which I have never heard.

So, as far as recommendations go:

Manipulator.
In the Unlikely Event if you want the same sound, more streamlined; for rawer stuff go to their first two records.
This is pretty much how I feel about the rest of The Fall of Troy's albums. I wanted to send Manipulator, as it is also in my top 50 albums, but based on your tastes and how you felt about Doppelganger I went with Phantom instead. Manipulator is where I would go next though. It's so over the top technical and an extremely fun listen. Plus there's some really great sing along/scream along :biggrin: parts.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 results 4-6/11)
« Reply #854 on: September 06, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »
Thanks for the extra info on TFOT and Thumpermonkey, I'll definitely check out more of their stuff once the roulette is over (good lord I'm going to have so much music to listen to).

More results you say?!

Round Four results, 4-6/11
Results 1-3 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2470608#msg2470608

Be'lakor – Stone's Reach (2009), submitted by Luoto
First impression: Quite a bit of this sounded like it wasn’t doing anything the genre hadn’t been doing for 10-15 years already, but there’s some lovely stuff later in the album so it might grow on me more.

Final opinion: OK so this is the biggest grower of the roulette so far. On my first listen it felt to me like a lot of it was only a minor update on what some of the Gothenburg bands were doing in the 90s (so actually I meant 15-25 years ago, damn I'm old). And to an extent I sort of still think that's the case. But with repeat listens, firstly it becomes clear that the quality is very high, and secondly the nuances do actually stand out more. When they go more atmospheric/uber-melodic is the real highlight for me, as they do it so well. The album's close is absolutely wonderful in that regard and already stood out on my first listen. But other songs have great segments like that too, like some of the stuff in Sun's Delusion. My first impression was that this might end up around a 7.5, but it's gained a full point.
Score: 8.5

Conception – Flow (1997), submitted by Lethean
First impression: Nice album, enjoyable mix of different influences.

Final opinion: I've heard of Conception as I'm a big fan of Østby’s work in Ark and of course Khan from Kamelot, but I've never heard anything by them. I like it. This album doesn't sound nearly as unique or exciting as either of those two bands, but then this album is 20 years old now, so I imagine there are things they did that were pretty new. Certainly the album brings together a nice range of different prog and metal influences. I can almost hear Kamelot’s brand of prog-power metal at times, and there's plenty of classic rock influence too. Some of the softer moments call to mind bands like Pink Floyd, and there's even a dose of 90s grunge on occasion. Overall, I like this a fair bit, but it doesn't excite me enough to beat a 7.5.
Score: 7.5

Zeal & Ardor – Stranger Fruit (2018), submitted by Train
First impression: This ranged from “oh god yes this is so good” to “hmm, not sure this is working”.

Final opinion: Man, I absolutely ADORE some of this. I definitely feel like you've understood my tastes well, and the musical things that are likely to excite me. The stuff that is basically gospel/spiritual but with a rock/metal edge is so good - brilliant mood and emotion with an intensity that just raises its impact and makes it even more evocative. Gravedigger’s Chant is a perfect example of this, and so early in the album it sets the scene wonderfully. Songs like Servants and Ship On Fire are heavier but similarly get a superb balance and fuse the styles together well, and the closer is great too. Unfortunately, the quality isn't uniformly high throughout. Mostly it's when the all-out black metal comes in that it's quite jarring, the songs that do this don't seem to fuse together so well. Plus, I think I just don't find him particularly good at writing black metal. So it's a bit of a frustrating album really. The good stuff is so so good, and on further listens the rest has become tolerable enough to make it an enjoyable listen overall (and some of the black metal tracks are actually decent, like Row Row). But it's just not consistent enough and the low points do drag it down a bit. Also the couple of synthtronica tracks are cool but totally don't belong on this album.

Ranking so far

1   Train         = 8.0 + 8.5 + 9.0 + 7.5 = 33.0
2   Luoto        = 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 8.5 = 32.5
3= Lethean    = 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 32.0
3= LordCost  = 8.0 + 7.5 + 9.5 + 7.0 = 32.0
5   Puppies*  = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.5
6   TAC*         = 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.0
?   Parama    = 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Luke*       = 7.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Jingle*     = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + ? = ?
?   Sacul*      = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Katt          = 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 + ? = ?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:34:36 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:16 PM »
Pretty much exactly how I feel about z&a, there's about a half an album's worth of great stuff, a quarter of an album of weird filler, and the rest is solid but not especially effective

Also dammit no results for me yet I'm gonna die  :corn

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #856 on: September 06, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
I had a feeling that could be my first impression line, and the final write-up is also quite expected. Be'lakor are indeed not particularly original, but their music has loads of personality because they virtually never recycle a riff or melody, in addition to the songs being generally longer than those of their peers. It's a big reason why people often find Stone's Reach a serious grower of an album.

By the way, a UK melodeath band named themselves after Countless Skies. Truly a classic song.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #857 on: September 06, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
I probably should revisit it sometime since I only really listened to it once

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #858 on: September 07, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
I can live with that, still glad I was able to show you something different and catch you offguard and apparently got you to really like some of those tunes. Most people I talk to feel that there's too much filler. I think Manuel's album pacing skills are about as random as his combination of genres, I think tunes like Solve + Coagula, The Hermit and The Fool (and even Built on Ashes, the closer, which makes the end of the album pretty lackluster) are completely misplaced and/or unnecessary. That's a big reason this album dropped out of my top 10 and is looking to drop out of the top 15 as well (currently #14), even though it's by far my most played album mostly due to the 5-7 songs I have had in constant rotation pretty much since they released.

I have a good idea of what to send but want to think it over first, I have a pretty busy period coming up so if I don't send this afternoon it will likely have to wait until Sunday. Should be okay right?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #859 on: September 07, 2018, 01:06:44 AM »
hey what the heck built on ashes is excellent

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #860 on: September 07, 2018, 01:14:07 AM »
Also dammit no results for me yet I'm gonna die  :corn
Maybe I'll leave you to the final set, just for kicks. :neverusethis:

I can live with that, still glad I was able to show you something different and catch you offguard and apparently got you to really like some of those tunes. Most people I talk to feel that there's too much filler. I think Manuel's album pacing skills are about as random as his combination of genres, I think tunes like Solve + Coagula, The Hermit and The Fool (and even Built on Ashes, the closer, which makes the end of the album pretty lackluster) are completely misplaced and/or unnecessary. That's a big reason this album dropped out of my top 10 and is looking to drop out of the top 15 as well (currently #14), even though it's by far my most played album mostly due to the 5-7 songs I have had in constant rotation pretty much since they released.
Yeah about half the album is absolutely brilliant.

I have a good idea of what to send but want to think it over first, I have a pretty busy period coming up so if I don't send this afternoon it will likely have to wait until Sunday. Should be okay right?
Of course, no rush. There are two more sets of results to go until round 5 formally starts, which will probably be sometime over the weekend. But obviously people can feel free to send for the next round 5 whenever they're ready.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: September 07, 2018, 01:19:25 AM »
#2 This is pretty good. Didn’t wow me on first listen, but there are some cool and unexpected things in there.

#6 You really weren't wrong in your submission description. This is nice stuff, though a lot of it blurred together a bit on first listen.

#8 More variety than I was expecting, and some brilliant stuff, but also some stuff I felt less convinced by.

#9 This isn't quite like anything else in my collection, but it has a lot of really lovely stuff.

#10 More variety than I was expecting, and it's all pretty good though it'll take more listens to decide how much I like it.

these are the ones left & they all sound pretty mixed opinion-wise, great  :lol
i barely had a description in my PM so I feel that rules me out of being #6
i sort of expect to be #8 now & that the heavier stuff doesn't do it for you

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #862 on: September 07, 2018, 01:58:42 AM »
Well turns out I made up my mind anyway and sent, expecting at least a solid 6/10 for this one, or maybe even higher!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 results 7-9/11)
« Reply #863 on: September 07, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »
Jolly perceptive of you, Parama.

Round Four results, 7-9/11
Results 1-3 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2470608#msg2470608
Results 4-6 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2471022#msg2471022

New Horizons – Inner Dislocation (2018), submitted by Jingle
First impression: This is pretty good. Didn’t wow me on first listen, but there are some cool and unexpected things in there.

Final opinion: There's lots about this that I like. It's enjoyable and varied prog metal, with strong performances and lots of fun and surprising elements. The symphonic backing in the opener is awesome for example, and there are things like that popping up throughout the album. There are a few things that stop it from being really great for me though. Although it's a lot of fun, I think the writing jumps around a bit too much for my tastes. Like most prog bands when they're starting out, they have a lot of promise and cool ideas, but they really need to refine them more to grab me. I'm also not too keen on the vocals, either the singer's voice (talented enough but I find his phrasing is quite off-putting) or more importantly the vocal lines which rarely have much in the way of good hooks (although there are some really good moments, like Borderlands pt 2). So yeah, solid but not amazing. Also, wtf at your friend saying they sound like Haken. This sounds nothing like Haken. :lol

Rolo Tomassi – Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It (2018), submitted by Parama
First impression: More variety than I was expecting, and some brilliant stuff, but also some stuff I felt less convinced by.

Final opinion: Like the Fall of Troy, this is an absolutely immense improvement on the earlier Rolo Tomassi album I've heard. There are still elements I'm not really a fan of. Mainly, I just don't enjoy most (though not all) of the screamo vocals in the full-on metalcore sections, of which there are a fair few. But this album is much more balanced and varied than what I remember of Cosmology. It's still very schizophrenic in the way it shifts moods from one extreme to the other and everything in between, sometimes very suddenly, but the way it does so mostly feels fresher and more exciting. I don't dislike all the harsh vocals, and some of the heavy stuff is excellent, like in Whispers Among US and Contretemps. And the female singer has a great voice. There are some wonderful moments throughout. But like the Zeal & Ardor album, while the highs are super high and the album is a good listen, the stuff I'm not keen on does hold it back overall.

Sons Of Seasons – Magnisphyricon (2011), submitted by Katt
First impression: You really weren't wrong in your submission description. This is nice stuff, though a lot of it blurred together a bit on first listen.

Final opinion: Yeah, you were definitely right that there are similarities to Kamelot, which are quite striking at times. Especially the dark, theatrical prog-power metal vibe, and occasionally the singer’s voice. But actually I find this more proggy and varied - stylistically, tonally - than Kamelot. I’m actually digging this almost as much as Kamelot’s best stuff, which while not as diverse has a certain character to it that means it stays slightly ahead. But this is really good stuff. Ranges from dark and emotional to really epic and heavy at times. There’s still a bit of a sense of everything blurring together a little, but it’s a solid album nonetheless.

Ranking so far

1   Train       = 8.0 + 8.5 + 9.0 + 7.5 = 33.0
2= Parama   = 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 32.5
2= Luoto      = 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 8.5 = 32.5
4= Lethean   = 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 32.0
4= LordCost  = 8.0 + 7.5 + 9.5 + 7.0 = 32.0
6= Jingle*     = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 31.5
6= Puppies*  = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.5
8= Katt         = 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 = 31.0
8= TAC*       = 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.0
?   Luke*       = 7.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 + ? = ?
?   Sacul*      = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + ? = ?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: September 07, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
rip my 8's
TAC can we trade  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #865 on: September 07, 2018, 08:44:04 AM »
:lol

Honestly though, the good bits are so good they'd often tempt me to increase the score. But then there'd be a load of stuff I didn't like much and I'd think "nah 7.5 it is".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: September 07, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
I didn't hear the Haken reference either... and FWIW, he is RJ, and he actually said "with a worse singer" - I just didn't want to set that as the tone before you even listened!   :rollin

Totally fair assessment, and I'll take the 7.5

Sending my final submission.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LordCost

« Reply #867 on: September 07, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
I'm curious about snippet #9. I thought it would have been about my submission but it's not.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #868 on: September 07, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
I didn't hear the Haken reference either... and FWIW, he is RJ, and he actually said "with a worse singer" - I just didn't want to set that as the tone before you even listened!   :rollin
You cheeky bastard. :lol With this and sending me Lalo's music, I feel like you need a lesson in fair play.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
You cheeky bastard. :lol With this and sending me Lalo's music, I feel like you need a lesson in fair play.

It's not like you're new at Roulette'g... you know my motto is "Win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 final results, send for R5!)
« Reply #870 on: September 07, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
Managed to get some good listening to the last two albums this afternoon, so can finish the round. Am genuinely pleased at how I've managed to keep on top of these and didn't have to boot out any of the probationary participants.

Round Four final results
Results 4-6 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2471022#msg2471022
Results 7-9 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2471150#msg2471150

Astronoid – Air (2016), submitted by Luke
First impression: This isn't quite like anything else in my collection, but it has a lot of really lovely stuff.

Final opinion: Gosh, this is quite lovely. It’s definitely difficult to define. You described it as “euphoric post-black metal”, RYM lists them as “Blackgaze, Post-Metal, Progressive Metal, Shoegaze”, and I’ve seen all sorts of other descriptions online such as “dream thrash”. I think it speaks a lot to how unique this music is. It’s super energetic, and speed/riff-wise has a lot in common with black metal and speed/power metal, but melodically and harmonically it’s very upbeat and pretty, and the vocals are incredibly light and airy. It’s a really interesting and pleasant mix. I’m not 100% sold on the production, but this is their debut LP and it’s still a pretty good sound. Plus, the style is one that can get away with a slightly muddy mix, as like most post- genres it’s largely about the soundscapes and mood, which are great. It’s not perfect, but it’s a gorgeous listen.
Score: 8.5

Hooverphonic – A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular (1996), submitted by Sacul
First impression: More variety than I was expecting, and it's all pretty good though it'll take more listens to decide how much I like it.

Final opinion: This seriously doesn’t sound like it’s more than 20 years old (though I realise it’s been remastered really nicely). What a great vibe it has. It starts really nice downtempo trip-hop/electronica, and after a couple of tracks I thought I knew what I was getting, and I was digging it. But then the album goes in all sorts of other directions. Those don’t always work brilliantly - there are couple of psychadelic-ish tracks in the middle (Nr 9 and Sarangi) that aren’t especially interesting for example. But most of the album is great, and the variety keeps it engaging. Like, Revolver is really weird, but it’s also lots of fun and nothing like anything else on the album. I can see myself returning to this a fair bit in future, when the mood takes me towards this style, and I’m keen to check out more of their stuff.

Ranking so far

1   Train       = 8.0 + 8.5 + 9.0 + 7.5 = 33.0
2= Parama   = 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 32.5
2= Luoto      = 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 8.5 = 32.5
2= Luke       = 7.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 = 32.5
5= Lethean   = 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 32.0
5= LordCost  = 8.0 + 7.5 + 9.5 + 7.0 = 32.0
7= Jingle      = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 7.5 = 31.5
7= Puppies   = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.5
7= Sacul      = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.5
10= Katt      = 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 = 31.0
10= TAC      = 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 31.0

So, only 2 points between top and bottom of the current standings. This is the last round before the semi-finals, and everyone is capable of getting into the top 6.

Let's do this! Send for round 5 if you haven't already.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R4 final results, send for R5!)
« Reply #871 on: September 07, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
Managed to get some good listening to the last two albums this afternoon, so can finish the round. Am genuinely pleased at how I've managed to keep on top of these and didn't have to boot out any of the probationary participants.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #872 on: September 07, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
I think he means earlier than this upcoming round  :lol since 5 people are getting the boot after this round regardless

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #873 on: September 07, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
I think he means earlier than this upcoming round  :lol since 5 people are getting the boot after this round regardless
Correct. It would be pretty astonishing if all 5 probationaries make it into the semis!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
I know I know... I'm just being punchy.  It's been a long week at work.