Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 78904 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (R3 results 8-9/11)
« Reply #735 on: August 29, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
I have no idea why I wrote agitated because I meant to say excited.

I really need to sleep more than five hours a day. :lolpalm:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #736 on: August 29, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
Well I think I'm ready to take some risks going forward, so why not? Let's see if I can net me a 9 next round...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #737 on: August 29, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »
Well I think I'm ready to take some risks going forward, so why not? Let's see if I can net me a 9 next round...
Golly, I don't know if I should be excited or scared. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #738 on: August 29, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
Oh boy!   Gonna have to be careful with my next pick.  I seriously cannot figure this roulette out. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #739 on: August 29, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Oh boy!   Gonna have to be careful with my next pick.  I seriously cannot figure this roulette out. :)
Tastes!

Other than that, not sure there's much to figure out. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: August 29, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
Well, I sent something a bit heavier this time. I'll see how that works out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #741 on: August 29, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
The suffering is real! Rich is making me wait last for my result...... :|

Must mean I'm eliminated.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #742 on: August 29, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »
Need is really fantastic though. I saw these guys live and they were tight as hell. Ridiculously good.

Yes!  I saw them in support of Orvam, and thought they were fantastic.  Last year I made a point to catch them opening for Evergrey and they were every bit as good, and by that time I knew the songs better and it was a killer show.

I also saw them supporting for Evergrey. Both bands were incredible; there weren't a lot of people for Need set, maybe like 30 or 40 total, and I was the only one who was singing along so the singer kept glancing at me. :lol And everyone in the band and their management, starting from their merch guy (who got really agitated when I walked into the venue in the band's shirt) to the actual band members were so excited to meet their fans. The merch guy gave me a pick and some stickers for free, and the band was happy to chat and sign the ProgPower DVD I bought.

Also apparently there weren't a lot of foreigners at the show, so when I walked to the bar to get a beer during the break between Need and Evergrey, the guy at the bar thought I was associated with the band somehow (probably my three-weeks-unshaven beard gave him a hint) and told me I had to get a permission from the band manager to have a beer. :lol

Need seem like really nice guys and they hung out with people at ProgPower most of the weekend, and at the Evergrey show too.  They totally made the most out of that ProgPower appearance.  I remember I'd listened to Orvam once or twice and was on the fence.  Their set was so energetic and tight and the singer sounded better than on the album and I think it was a great experience for the crowd as well as for them.  On the Evergrey tour, I had a couple friends who saw them in different cities and said they stole the show.  I definitely hope to see them back at some point. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
The suffering is real! Rich is making me wait last for my result...... :|

Must mean I'm eliminated.  :corn
Mwuahahahaha.

Nah you're good. :biggrin:

Round Three final results
Results 1-3 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2467835#msg2467835
Results 4-5 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2468062#msg2468062
Results 6-7 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2468186#msg2468186
Results 8-9 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2468585#msg2468585

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phi – Cycles (2018), submitted by Luoto
First impression: I was sort of expecting something less heavy, but this is solid and has quite a lot of groove.

Final opinion: I was already familiar with Phi’s last album, which I liked but didn't love. This one definitely has something a bit more engaging about it. It's a bit heavier, which is more a descriptor rather than inherently good or bad, although I do think it suits them quite well. The production is punchier, and a few of the songs have a nice sense of groove in the riffs. For these reasons, plus a couple of very strong choruses (like in Children of the Rain, which is mostly a strong opener), I do think I like it a little more than Waves of Sound. I still wouldn't say I love it, though. For every section I find really engaging, there's another that I merely find good. So yeah this is very good but it hasn't won me over to being a big Phi fan.
Score: 7.5

AFI – Sing The Sorrow (2003), submitted by Puppies
First impression: Pretty cool album, surprised at some of the feelings it evoked in me.

Final opinion: Yeah I definitely listened to this album a bit waaaaay back when it first came out, but clearly not enough to remember it and rate it when I joined RYM. So valid, for this roulette, and a really interesting listening experience. On first listen I didn't think I really recognised any of it, but there was something familiar enough about it to really remind me of that time in my life - university days and many “alternative” (ie metal, rock, indie) club nights (can't believe that's actually 15 years ago, I'm so old). On second listen the songs actually sounded really familiar and I was almost able to sing along to some of them (especially Silver and Cold, and Dancing Through Sunday). This brand of emo-tinged pop punk is definitely a product of its time, and the production is a bit dated (and overly compressed). But regardless, it's really enjoyable album helped further by the nostalgia factor.
Score: 8.0

Ranking so far

1   Train       = 8.0 + 8.5 + 9.0 = 25.5
2= Parama   = 8.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 = 25.0
2= LordCost = 8.0 + 7.5 + 9.5 = 25.0
4   Lethean   = 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.0 = 24.5
5= Luoto      = 8.5 + 8.0 + 7.5 = 24.0
5= Luke*     = 7.5 + 8.5 + 8.0 = 24.0
5= Jingle*    = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.5 = 24.0
8= Sacul*     = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 23.5
8= Puppies*  = 7.5 + 8.0 + 8.0 = 23.5
10= Katt       = 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 23.0
10= TAC*     = 7.5 + 7.5 + 8.0 = 23.0
-----------------------------------------
*on probation until round five

Remember, there are two more rounds until the semis. Even KatTAC are only 1 point off top 6 at the moment, so it's all to play for. Once into the semis, scores become irrelevant and it's a knockout.

So with that in mind, hit me with your best stuff for round 4!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I can't believe sent what I just sent, probably very risky :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I'm starting to wonder if anything is gonna score below 7.5 beyond the first round  :lol

I actually don't have anything lined up atm but I'm sure I have a ton of good stuff for you so I'll go find something and send tonight yeah

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man, I need to step up my game... but even if I get a perfect 10 I'll still be easily outclassed by most everyone else at the rate scores are going  :lol Challenge happily accepted! Will send tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'm starting to wonder if anything is gonna score below 7.5 beyond the first round  :lol
Honestly I was wondering the same thing. The last two rounds have been ridiculously strong. Someone surely has to slip up at some point. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Honestly I was wondering the same thing. The last two rounds have been ridiculously strong. Someone surely has to slip up at some point. :lol

Here's the thing... after 7ish years of roulette'g, people have a good handle on the tastes of the hosts - especially when one is on v4 like ariich and I are on, and Elite just finished.  It's actually not surprising that the stuff we're collectively sending is stuff Rich is finding rather appealing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Don't tempt me  :lol

Offline LordCost

Searching on Ariich's RYM profile I found another band like Katatonia in the first round, which has only two albums rated and both with a good score, but I will send something riskier.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Honestly, I can't navigate the RYM thingie. That website is f'n maddening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

bruh. go down to search and type in an artist and then you know whether or not to send them. it's easy  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

bruh. go down to search and type in an artist and then you know whether or not to send them. it's easy  :lol

Hah, actually that much I can do. But the backspace button doesn't seem to work.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Here's the thing... after 7ish years of roulette'g, people have a good handle on the tastes of the hosts - especially when one is on v4 like ariich and I are on, and Elite just finished.  It's actually not surprising that the stuff we're collectively sending is stuff Rich is finding rather appealing.
This is true. Also within each roulette, I think scores initially increase as people get a handle on what tends to speak well to me, and then taper off again a bit as people run out of stuff to send. :lol We'll see if that happens this time though, so far the average scores for the 11 participants that have been in throughout have been 7.9 for round 1, 8.0 for round 2 and 8.2 for round 3!

Don't tempt me  :lol
Interestingly Train is probably in the best position to play it safe for a couple of rounds, but he's apparently going risky anyway. :lol

Searching on Ariich's RYM profile I found another band like Katatonia in the first round, which has only two albums rated and both with a good score, but I will send something riskier.
Very intriguing - feel free to PM me what it was because I have no idea. I think I'll need to change that rule next time I do a roulette. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LordCost

Sent the album and my longest ever submission comment via PM :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent something proggy, dark, and heavy.

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sent a genre blurring masterpiece  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

+ 3... though my 'dark' is probably a little lighter than yours's
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
scale of darkness: puppies > katt > jingle

though I'll fight puppies for it this round  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I don't know of mine is dark, but it's definitely heavy.

• DTF.org Member
So this is the dark and heavy round. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So this is the dark and heavy round. :metal
Apparently so. This could prove a pretty bleak week. :lol

In b4 Sacul send synthpop

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i don't think what i sent is particularly dark, but it can be pretty heavy

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach

I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to update your ranking because I'm pretty sure I've sent the darkest album :corn

train >>>>>>>>>> puppies > katt > jingle
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member

I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to update your ranking because I'm pretty sure I've sent the darkest album :corn

Train sent Scott Walker's The Drift.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

It's banned, sadly.

God it's so miserable that album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Train sent a big bowl of dark matter

• DTF.org Member

It's banned, sadly.

God it's so miserable that album.
Then he sent Univers Zero's Heresie?
aka Puppies_On_Acid