Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 98304 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 8 - the home stretch
« Reply #1750 on: September 28, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
I had some high (ish) expectations, and this failed to meet them

Yeah thanks that's mine.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1751 on: September 28, 2018, 10:04:21 PM »

Not bad for this kinda style, but not great either

Lots of parts that I should love

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1752 on: September 29, 2018, 12:37:57 AM »

This is probably mine
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1753 on: September 29, 2018, 12:38:59 AM »

Yeah thanks that's mine.

I reckon I'm in with a shot here on this one mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1754 on: September 29, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »

Yeah thanks that's mine.

I reckon I'm in with a shot here on this one mate.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: September 29, 2018, 06:51:35 AM »
Whatever it takes to fail
Gonna do it

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: September 29, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »
Gonna do it

220, 221... whatever it takes
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1757 on: September 29, 2018, 08:04:56 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1758 on: September 29, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
Tasteful and in moderation - *you* got the memo.
Perhaps your most plain an uninteresting submission
Juuuuust a bit outside
What is this, the guilty pleasure round?
Wasn't sure what to expect here, and this was a very pleasant surprise
Seriously, what the fuck?
2nd half WAY better than the first
Love the slow gradual build
That was a lot to digest
Not bad for this kinda style, but not great either
Did not care for the backing vocals in the chorus
Lots of parts that I should love
...combining one of my favorite things with 2 of my least favorite things
Shred-a-licious
[/s]

My possibilities. Some good, some bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:37 AM »
Bumping this just to save it going to page 2.......

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: October 02, 2018, 05:57:45 AM »
Thanks boss.  I'm actually gonna post my final writeups today sometime, but not the scores.  Gonna torture the top 4 just a little bit longer. :-*

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1761 on: October 02, 2018, 07:37:50 AM »
Gonna do it

Now why is that funny again?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: October 02, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Results later tonight.  Who sent what ...

Train of Naught: Tasteful and in moderation - *you* got the memo.
Solution .45   Winning Where Losing Is All

jjrocks88: Perhaps your most plain an uninteresting submission
Diamond Head   Call Me

Elite: Juuuuust a bit outside
Tesseract   Smile

Kattleox: What is this, the guilty pleasure round?
Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah   Lake Shore Drive

Stadler: Wasn't sure what to expect here, and this was a very pleasant surprise
Concrete Blonde   Carry Me Away

TAC: Seriously, what the fucking fuck?
Eternal Of Sweden   Surrounded By Shadows

Puppies: 2nd half WAY better than the first
Psychotic Waltz   Into the Everflow

Lowdz: Love the slow gradual build
Magnum   Les mort Dansant

lonestar: That was a lot to digest
Kaipa   Our Silent Ballroom Band

wolfking: I had some high (ish) expectations, and this failed to meet them 
Midnight Sun   Nemesis

Bolsters: Not bad for this kinda style, but not great either
Diabulus in Musica   Healing

Evermind: Did not care for the backing vocals in the chorus
David Gilmour   Rattle That Lock

Kingshmegland: Lots of parts that I should love
Special Providence   Irrelevant Connotations

Lethean: ...combining one of my favorite things with 2 of my least favorite things
Solefald   Eukalyptustreet

Indiscipline: Shred-a-licious
John Norum   Eternal Flame

Gonna do it

Now why is that funny again?

Because you don't find it funny.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:39:38 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1763 on: October 02, 2018, 08:10:22 AM »
Congrats Ruslan.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: October 02, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »
I mean half the chorus are backing vocals in my song...

But it does look more positive than Kade's or yours, yeah. We'll see after the results are up.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1765 on: October 02, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
Guilty pleasure? GTFO. That song is awesome, nothing wrong with it at all!

I have no guilty pleasures btw. I happily admit to listening to Britney Spears alongside my heavy metal. Being tr00 is overrated  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1766 on: October 02, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
Kinda figured that comment was mine, its such an intricate 20 minutes of bliss.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: October 02, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »
Guilty pleasure? GTFO. That song is awesome, nothing wrong with it at all!

I have no guilty pleasures btw. I happily admit to listening to Britney Spears alongside my heavy metal. Being tr00 is overrated  :lol

I'm with you, 100%.  I don't care for him too much (because of the style more than anything, and that melismatic singing he does) but "U Smile" is one of my favorite songs on my iPod.   Oh, and I also love Night Ranger.  So there.   

Offline Lowdz

Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 8 Results imminent
« Reply #1768 on: October 02, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
Love the slow gradual build...

Yeah I’m still waiting for the  “but the vocalsl” 😀

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: October 02, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
In alphabetical order, the Round 8 writeups.

Bolsters:  Diabulus in Musica / Healing
Heavy as fuck, and right on the edge of sounding too 'thrashy' for me.  It wasn't bad for this For operatic/symphonic metal, but not great either.  I wasn't totally in love with Zuberoa's vocals; Tarja and Floor are the standard-bearers for operatic-metal (Tarja was my introduction and Floor takes it to another level with in being able to deliver opera range and so much more).  That 'traditional' opera section at the 4 minute mark was kinda weak - the high pitched scream leading right back to the main (thrashy) riff was a very jarring and awkward bridge.  Otherwise, despite not being "great", this was a very good track - not quite enough to make me want to dive into them, but enjoyed this none-the-less.  Was it enough to overtake Evermind... we shall see.

Elite:  Tesseract / Smile
Juuuuust a bit outside … of my strike zone - where you've been with a lot of your submissions.  You were pretty consistent stuff just outside of my current preference for what I like to listen to, with a gem or two tossed in there.  This fits the same bill… our preferred flavour of prog-metal is just slightly out out of sync.  The varied vocal styles - clean, whiney/wail, screams/growls - didn't sit well with me.  The guitar tone also grated on me after repeated listens.  The overall flow and musicianship was fine, but "fine" unfortunately ends up at the bottom of the list.

Evermind:  David Gilmour / Rattle That Lock
On the first few listens, I had some serious fears that, to use a baseball analogy, your closer just might have blown the save for you. Kudos for being true to yourself in sending Gilmour, but something didn't jive here.  Almost everything  was ordinary at best, and I was *not* a fan of the backing vocals in the chorus ... At.  All.  He sounds good, and the guitar solo and outro were both excellent (though the solo was pretty short; the guitar outro was great - just again with those backing vocals).  Don't feel too bad though, I'm not a fan of Robert Plant solo stuff over the last 25 years either - he (and Gilmour it would seem based on this tune) is simply making a style of music that has strayed a little too far from everything that I love about Zeppelin/Floyd - too much groove; not enough rock/metal/prog.  Pins and needles for you until tomorrow.  Yeah, I'm being a prick.

Indiscipline:  John Norum / Eternal Flame
A little thin on the production, but that's some seriously shred-a-licious guitar work right off the bat.  Who knew?? I never really got anything that shreddy in Europe, and of course, I love me Goran Edman (as Katt and Evermind know).  Double dipping within the roulette is some seriously sly cheating :tup

jjrocks:  Diamond Head / Call Me
Not bad by any means, but it was pretty uneventful.  Not much here captured my attention… perhaps your most plain and uninteresting submission this whole roulette.  Just a typical mid-tempo 4/4 rock tune with a basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-outro structure.  The musicianship and vocals were rather ordinary, which didn't save it from sounding like something I've heard a hundred times before.

Kattleox:  Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah / Lake Shore Drive
What is this, the guilty pleasure round? This had early 70s fuck-rock all over it, and it sure was catchy hell. There was a TV show that was very well known in Canada in the 70s/80s (jj will know what I'm talking about) - The Littlest Hobo.  This tune gives me all the same vibe and feels of that theme song.  It was fun as hell, like listening to Zeppelin/Hot Dog - it's not something that's going to be a regular go-to song, but I'll love this every time I play it.  I'm not going to make the mistake of rating it at the bottom just because it's not my normal cup of tea (like I did with Zydar's submission of Gloria by Mando Diao in Roulette v1 - damn I still love listening to that tune), but it ain't gonna be a top 3 tune either. 

kingshmegland:  Special Providence / Irrelevant Connotations
Much like your Bleed submission, there was way too much wankery here with little cohesion to pull it together.  There are lots of individual moments that I should (and some that I actually did) love, but just as I'm getting into those parts, there's an abrupt turn, and I've got the equivalent of sonic whiplash.  As RJ will attest in cheffing, you can't just put together a lot of good things and expect the sum of the individual parts to be good/great.  There has to be a rhyme and reason to the recipe, and this tune didn't deliver that for me.

Lethean:  Solefald / Eukalyptustreet
Ballad + harsh vox + non-english.  You're combining one of my favorite things with two of my least favorite things.  It was like a 2-on-1 beatdown.  I probably could've been ok if it was just the grows, or just not-English, but the two combined squashed any enjoyment I had from the music.  This song felt every bit like a 9 minute track - and then some.  I gave it a solid 5 listens before pulling the ripcord.  Another hard 10.

lonestar:  Kaipa / Our Silent Ballroom Band
That was a lot to digest, but once I was able to, man.  Wow.  Soooooo many fantastic elements.  Quintessential *prog* here.  Love Aleena's vocals, especially the intro.  Every listen to this song just made it better and better as I was able to take it in.  The atmosphere that the keyboard provides throughout the entire 22 minutes made me all warm and fuzzy.  The slow gradual build over the first 1/2 of the song was like aural foreplay.  Lovely vocal harmonies interspersed with brief little guitar runs just as they almost blow their load at the 8 minute mark - and then chill with a 3 minute instrumental breakdown filled with a plethora of key/guitar unisons and callbacks, and a nice little guitar solo.  Act 2 comes to a climax after 6 more minutes of frantic bliss, and then a nice cuddle for 5 minutes.  Someone pass me a cigarette.

lowdz:  Magnum / Les mort Dansant
Yeah, I was totally wrong to say I wasn't a fan of Bob's voice. I'm now certain that what I didn't like about Magnum was because of their music.  I've tried Storyteller once (I must've been multi-tasking and not really taking it in, because if it's anything like this tune, I gotta give 'er another go).  I also have a Best-of from Magnum, and was largely underwhelmed by it - and now that I reflect, it's not likely because of Bob, but rather the music/writing.  I loved the slow gradual build on this track as well - Bob's great... better than great ... he's fan-fucking-tastic, and this is an impressive ballad that starts soft and solemn, and builds fantastically over 6 minutes.  I'd inadvertently started listening to a live version of it at first - which was especially special.  Was digging that for sure, and will definitely check that out, as he's awesome in a live setting.  If Kaipa was the equivalent of a great 22 minute shag, this was a cock-worshiping hummer if I ever heard one.

Puppies:  Psychotic Waltz / Into the Everflow
2nd half WAY better than the first - but that doesn't mean it was all that good overall.  First half was way to somber and macabre for my tastes… vocals were a little whiny at times too - that was a turn off.  Background guitar work was really nice - had a vibe like QR/Promised Land, but vocally it sure wasn't early/mid-90s Tater.  However, continued listens had me appreciating the mood and guitar work more and more.  This was initially slated for bottom 3, but worked it's way up a bit.  The vocals never did click for me, and that's what held this back from rating any better.

Stadler:  Concrete Blonde / Carry Me Away
Everyone (at least the fogeys) knows Joey, and that's pretty much all I know/remember about Concrete Blonde, so I wasn't sure what to expect here, and this was a very pleasant surprise.  Loved the acoustic intro, and then - SNAP - right into a slightly frantic and angry (and drunk) rant - both lyrically and musically.  I certainly don't hear the 'alternative' in this rock tune.  Nothing super overwhelming here, but a really REALLY nice tune to listen to.

TAC:  Eternal Of Sweden / Surrounded By Shadows
And he's back. Where was this the last two rounds?  Seriously, what the fucking fuck!?!?  Melodic metal at it's finest.  Nice gritty vocalist (sounds a lot like Chity from Red Circuit - and earlier in the Roulette from Katt, PowerQuest), and his style fits the music like a glove.  Reminds me a ton of the song Last of the Heroes by Sturm Und Drang - which I absolutely love - particularly because of the keyboard melody that drove this song.  Everything about this was a bullseye. 

Train:  Solution .45 / Winning Where Losing Is All
Tasteful and in moderation - you got the memo. That's some beautifully melodic music both vocally (with the cleans) and musically.  Tasteful growls in moderation don't detract, but for me, they don't add anything special to this either.  Fantastic sound all around.  I know Kade will be all like :getoffmylawn:, as he gave these guys to me last time around - and they did well, but I just didn't go any further with them.  Perfectly crunchy guitars, and the clean vocals are off the charts good.  You definitely saved your best for last.

wolfking:  Midnight Sun / Nemesis
Dude… sales 101 - set expectations low; deliver high.  You did the opposite here.  Highlighting that it was an Magnus project, I had some high-ish expectations, and this failed to deliver. Great melody, just what I'd expect from MK.  But when I've become used to the the quality of vocalists he usually has (Allen, Lande, Harnell, Sheepers, Kiske/Sommerville, Andersson - not to mention the variety from the two FreeFall albums!), well, this guy on the mic was underwhelming to say the least.  You thought you were cheating, but by playing it safe, you went too safe and got caught.  Musically, it was pretty damn good - certainly not MK's best, but still really good.  Vocally, super meh.  If this had been my first intro to MK, surely would have been digging it a lot more than I did.  Tune in tomorrow to find out if you finished up, down, or ended up Even Stephen.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 8 Writeups
« Reply #1770 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
Congrats Dave.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1771 on: October 02, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
I've never cared for Graves' vocal style on Into the Everflow, but their other album Bleeding is really great. He holds back a lot more and doesn't go all over the place with his voice. Makes the music way better, in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: October 02, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
Oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I knew I should have taken a punt on that .45 song at some point.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1773 on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Well ain't that just the perfect song title to reflect my performance in this roulette :lol glad you dig it man.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: October 02, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
I demand an additional point for misspelling my name.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1775 on: October 02, 2018, 05:54:48 PM »
There are few guitarists more underrated than Norum. He also had the giant balls to leave Europe right after The Final Countdown, choosing his style instead of cashing in. His solo work is top quality imo.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: October 02, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »

I used the Canadian spelling.  You should feel honoured.  Plus, it's not like an additional point would help you any :neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1777 on: October 02, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
Fuck man..should've sent Kaipa like three roulettes ago  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1778 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
I should have just kept going in a similar prog vein after you enjoyed Pallas so much.  :facepalm: Oh well. Glad you liked a few things I sent you.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: October 02, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »

I used the Canadian spelling.  You should feel honoured.  Plus, it's not like an additional point would help you any :neverusethis:

You misspelled honored, too :neverusethis:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: October 02, 2018, 07:04:39 PM »

You misspelled honored, too :neverusethis:

Canadian spelling.  Their letters are 0.70 on the dollar as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
Canadians teach their kids how to misspell, huh? That explains a lot...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1782 on: October 02, 2018, 09:16:12 PM »
Otherwise, despite not being "great", this was a very good track - not quite enough to make me want to dive into them, but enjoyed this none-the-less.
I do hope you do check them out further, I've simply made a poor choice with this song. Infact during the song guessing stage two of the things that came to mind were "he probably won't like that solo operatic section as much as I initially thought" and "this might even be a bit too thrashy", both of which you ended up addressing. :lol The Wanderer and Argia are both really good albums, put them on the backburner and listen to one after you've gone through all the better stuff you got from the roulette.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1783 on: October 03, 2018, 03:09:32 AM »
Glad I've converted you on Uncle Bob's voice.

You really picked a shit album to try Magnum. Sleepwalking is average. You really should try Storytellers Night, Wings of Heaven (I was torn between what I sent and Don't Wake The lion) and also worth checking are Vigilante and Chase The Dragon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: October 03, 2018, 04:47:08 AM »
The Wanderer and Argia are both really good albums, put them on the backburner and listen to one after you've gone through all the better stuff you got from the roulette.

Duly noted - seriously... I have a "recommended" list I'm keeping track of that everyone has provided above/beyond the actual best submissions, and this is added to it.

lowdz:  Magnum / Les mort Dansant
Yeah, I was totally wrong to say I wasn't a fan of Bob's voice. I'm now certain that what I didn't like about Magnum was because of their music.  I've tried Storyteller once (I must've been multi-tasking and not really taking it in, because if it's anything like this tune, I gotta give 'er another go). 

You really should try Storytellers Night,

Does not compute.

I always get a giggle out of any references to "Uncle Bob", or "Bob's your uncle"... because I really do have an uncle named Bob.   :lol