Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 96631 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's fourth roulette - Round 2 - 4th impressions
« Reply #630 on: August 13, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
Don't worry guys, I'm going with an obligatory prog rock ballad next round which means I'll probably be close to the bottom three.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #631 on: August 13, 2018, 11:43:42 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how one of DF's worst songs is gonna rank in the top. Damn.  :facepalm: Interesting choice, wolfking.

This is only one of their worst songs to you because you like your power metal with extra fromage.  I prefer my power metal with a good heaping of prog.  Kade knows this.

Rule #1 of Roulette's, know thy audience.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #632 on: August 13, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how one of DF's worst songs is gonna rank in the top. Damn.  :facepalm: Interesting choice, wolfking.

This is only one of their worst songs to you because you like your power metal with extra fromage.  I prefer my power metal with a good heaping of prog.  Kade knows this.

Rule #1 of Roulette's, know thy audience.

:lol That is true. I definitely don't hear any prog in that song, and it's such a far cry from their glory days that it just baffles me, but I'm eager to read your thoughts on it no matter what. FTR, I was gonna send Disciples of Babylon, because the break is "proggy" by their standards and I thought you'd love it.  So hats off to wolfking for the curious but apt choice :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
Gonna try and hammer out 2 more rounds of listening to make sure I'm comfortable with the final rankings, and/or give songs a chance to improve or decline with age, but here's how I think the top/bottom groupings will land (in alphabetical order):

Top: Bolsters, Evermind, jj, lonestar, Lowdz, Stadler, TAC, wolfking
Bottom: Elite, Indiscipline, Kattoelox, King, Lethean, Parama, Puppies, Train

I will again stress that this was another solid round... nothing was bad/unenjoyable.

Part of me wants to make jokes, but part of me wants to wait until the final results are out first.  HAHA. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:27 PM »
Gonna try and hammer out 2 more rounds of listening to make sure I'm comfortable with the final rankings, and/or give songs a chance to improve or decline with age, but here's how I think the top/bottom groupings will land (in alphabetical order):

I will again stress that this was another solid round... nothing was bad/unenjoyable.

Part of me wants to make jokes, but part of me wants to wait until the final results are out first.  HAHA.

I could've sworn Heart was banned, because I thought Chad sent me Barracuda in my roulette? But apparently that wasn't him.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

I could've sworn Heart was banned, because I thought Chad sent me Barracuda in my roulette? But apparently that wasn't him.

Think that might've been RJ?  Heart would be one of those classic bands that I've listened to plenty of times (couple of albums, and naturally all the radio hits), but their discography is deep enough that I don't know a lot of it, so it was a perfectly acceptable submission.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
I think I do remember sending Heart to someone.

Oh, and where are our fokking results yo?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
I still remember seeing Heart in 1985.  We were in the 5th row and when Nancy kicked up he leg like she did I tried to sneak a peak.  17 year old King fantasy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
I still remember seeing Heart in 1985.  We were in the 5th row and when Nancy kicked up he leg like she did I tried to sneak a peak.  17 year old King fantasy.

And...?

I used to have a poster of her on my wall.  I was not a poster guy at all...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
Could see.  Man, I tried soooooo hard.  Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
I just want my last place already

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #641 on: August 13, 2018, 05:52:54 PM »

Please, tell me it was during How Deep It Goes?   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: August 13, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »
 :lol

Sadly it was Never. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: August 13, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
Oh, and where are our fokking results yo?

Yo, no fooking results until tomorrow, homeslice.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #644 on: August 13, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
Ok but try to do it early, I'm going on a long hike tomorrow and will be out of cell range, thanks  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: August 13, 2018, 08:40:03 PM »
Ok but try to do it early, I'm going on a long hike tomorrow and will be out of cell range, thanks  :tup

FB pics will be expected.  You can't let Jay8vm out-do you.

How early you gonna be up and at 'em?  I got a dentist app't at 8am my time.  I'm gonna squeeze one final listen in tomorrow, but won't have that done before the app't.  Results will be up shortly after I get back from it.  10am-ish barring a work catastrophe.

Two songs are battling it out for last place; and two are jockeying for first.  Everything in between is pretty much set.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #646 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
Two songs are battling it out for last place
whoever you are, my mystery combatant, i will find you and destroy you

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #647 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »
I'm just dicking with ya, do what you gotta do. I'll probably be on the hills around 11 or 12 your time.

And here's a pic from today's warm up hike...

The mountain in the back is Mt Diablo, highest mountain in the Bay Area. I'm warming up to climb that, about a 14 mile venture, and I got 30 years of smoking fighting me the whole way  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #648 on: August 13, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
That looks awesome, lonestar.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #649 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

I found the shot!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #650 on: August 13, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »
 :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #651 on: August 14, 2018, 04:36:13 AM »
Two songs are battling it out for last place
whoever you are, my mystery combatant, i will find you and destroy you

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »

I found the shot!

I've looked at Ged's junk as well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »
I've looked at Ged's junk as well.

I mean really... who hasn't?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2018, 05:10:20 AM »
Have you heard what his hands can do?  Just imagine!

Bass pedals....

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: August 14, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »
I will say this… most songs improved with multiple listens - some didn’t, and some stayed about the same as my first impression.

Lowdz
Fiction Syxx / Given Sight
Heavy AOR/Melodic Rock done absolutely right.  Most likely the song of the round - indeed it was.  Smooth vocals, tasty guitar licks, some nice little key/symphony elements, heavy but not-too-chunky riffs… this was spot on.  Can't really say why this grabbed the top spot over Impellitteri… just my gut.  Top 2 were more like 1a and 1b, but there can be only one BEST song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcs4PO2wIZM
Ranking: 1

jjrock88
Impellitteri / Lost in the Rain
Metal af… only beef is with the production/sound, but I can listen past that.  Damn Bonnet can wail here.  There ain't much to write, since this song didn't even crack 3 minutes.  Great riffs, great vocals, excellent solo - despite being the shortest song, Chris fucking gives it here :hefdaddy.  This is the reason I ask you back to my roulette's every go around.  You've never sent anything 'bad' (a few duds, but nothing inherently bad); a lot of 'fuck I wish I heard this 25 years ago'; and then you drop songs like this on me.  Well played sir, well played.  Wooooooooo!
Ranking: 2

Evermind
Mercenary / Redefine Me
Wasn't Borealis banned?  :D At first I thought you may have been better off to let Train send this one, but multiple listens helped this grow on me ... a lot - except the growls.  Thankfully, they were short … in and out (you were pushing your luck on this one however).  Had they been any longer, or in other sections, you may have dropped a spot or three.  Nice rich guitar sound, and the clean vocals were somehow right in that range of being in that lower range, but not too monotone.
Ranking: 3

Bolsters
Edenbridge / Myearthdream
Clearly a lot of Nightwish influences - especially in second half.  I would say this is what the love-child of Within Temptation and Nightwish would sound like.  It was really good, but I kept thinking "why am I not listening to those bands instead?"  Don't get me wrong, this was gorgeous, well constructed, and the different sections flow nicely together.  I'm just not sure it has a lot of staying power or replay value.  Loved all the different melodies - vocal, guitar, and rhythm, and the instrumental/solo section was fantastic - but seriously, Nightwish-lite.
Ranking: 4a

wolfking
DragonForce / The Edge of the World
Glad you went with your gut… other than *that* one part, this clicked and ticked a lot of boxes.  You're description was spot on.  This one invariably benefited from not having any unconscious bias, as I had no idea this was the DF track the first couple of listens - multitasking with work stopped me from picking up the lyrics.  The structure of this song reminded me of The Scarecrow - other than the growls of course.  I didn't hate them, and while unnecessary (imo), they didn't hurt the ranking - if it was a scoring system I was using, it may have scored a little higher without the growls.  Couple of stellar guitar solos there.
Ranking: 4b

lonestar
Periphery / The Way The News Goes
I could do without the 128th note snare run at the intro (and when it was revisited), but otherwise this was very good.  Right on the fringe of what I'd find enjoyable, and what I'd consider 'meh'.  Can’t really put my finger on why this appealed more than others, because - as was pointed out - it really shouldn’t have.  I can’t exactly say I was wow’d, but I did mightily enjoy this.
Ranking: 5a

TAC
The Silent Wedding / Shadows and Dust
Not a lot of range in the vocals… not sure how I'm feelin about it - could go either way.  Turns out, it didn’t really go any way, staying right in the middle of the pack.  Another shorty guitar solo… seriously, can't these guys put a few more bars into that, or are we just spoiled by prog-metal 2-minute solos?  This was pretty good, and stayed right in the middle of the road all week long.  Not a lot (good or bad) to say about this one.
Ranking: 5b

Stadler
Heart / Mistral Wind (live)
I can totally see why you love it - it's probably equivalent to my love for Give to Live from Right Here/Right now.  However, the intro sounded like the guitar needed a good tuning, and then that sequence kept coming up.  Once we got past that, things dramatically improved.  Ann is magnificent of course, and some of the sections were wonderful.
Ranking: 6

Parama
Dissona / The Last Resistance
Sorry to disappoint you, but this one wins the award for the best improvement.  It didn't start out very strong, but once I got thru the … sludge?? …  of the opening rhythm/intro, I dug this  Nice mood, nice piano, nice (chocolate cake crunchy) guitar elements.  Vocals not great, but by no means bad - but I liked them a bit more as the week went on.  The screamy chorus didn't bother me at all either - tasteful and appropriate :tup.  Totally loved the fast-paced instrumental breakdown - it had a wonderfully 'full' and 'rich' guitar sound ... and the growls there ... again, tasteful and appropriate.
Ranking: 6

Elite
Hekz / Quetzlcoatl
Straight-forward prog-metal.  Vocally a little bland, but not unenjoyable.  The chorus was much more palatable than the verses - wasn't a fan of the chanting style of the vocals.  The intro of the instrumental section reminded me of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner - bigtime.  And the rest of it was top-notch
Ranking: 7a

Indiscipline
Killing Touch / The Danger Zone
Pretty standard melodic/power metal.  Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really right with it either … it was just meh.  Luppi was fine, but he didn't really do much to make this a great track - instrumentally it was enjoyable, but fairly bland.  Still better than Dr. Stein though - even though it’s only a 1 spot improvement.
Ranking: 7b

Kattelox
Aquaria / Judgement Day
You're damn right that you like your power metal with extra frommage.  This was Viking Metal if I've ever heard it.  This should've hit the mark, but it didn't - it wasn’t too far off, but it was ‘off’ none-the-less.  It wasn't bad by any means, but just … ordinary (for this style/genre - which btw, is one that can be very hit-and-miss for me).  In the battle of 'power' metal 'epics' (against wolfking), you brought a knife to a gun fight :pwnt:.  The only thing that makes this epic is it's duration.
Ranking: 7c

Puppies_On_Acid
Manticora / Disciples of the Entities
Stop screaming at me. STOP SCREAMING AT ME!  STOP SCREAMING AT ME!!! Holy crap, someone needs to brew some decaf for Lars (vocalist).  The opening riff, and the Instrumental section (which had one of the longer solo's of the round) worked well.  Then the shouting started, and came back again and again - which was accompanied by a thrashi-ness that just didn't work for me.  Repeated listens did not help this one.  At all.
Ranking: 8a

Lethean
Dreamscape / Thorn in My Mind
The instrumental breakdown was hit and miss for me - some parts great, some parts just ok - was that guitar solo what… 4 bars?  It was nice, but seriously left me wanting more… whereas the chorus left me wanting less.  It wasn't the repetitive nature of "Thorn in my Mind", but just the tone/key it was sung in.  This song also did not benefit from multiple listens.
Ranking: 8b

Kingshmegland
Distorted Harmony / Time and Time Again
King may just have taken a bullet for ya'll… I was really trying to get into this, but just never did/could.  It's comical that the one person who expressed confidence had absolutely no reason to have any.  I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about with this band.  This was remarkably disappointing.  There was one recurring instrumental passage (the one 2:30-2:45) that was nice, but on the whole, all the different parts didn’t fit well together for these ears..  I did hear a track from them on a Spotify playlist that I recall enjoying (Misguided), but nothing about this tickled my pickle - many of the transitions felt awkward ... particularly the poppy opening, to metal riffing, then back to mellow.  Sorry King.  I still love ya.
Ranking: 9

Train Of Naught
Anathema / The Lost Child
I didn't know which song this was until I looked on my 3rd listen, and I would've never guessed this was the Anathema song.  Where was Lee? ... she's part of what I like about Anathema.  Where was the wall of sound?  The slow build was nice, and it did have some very lovely moments, but over all, I just wasn't feeling it - you were right to view this as a risk.  I'm sure anybody can like pretty much any song with enough listens - and maybe that's the case here - but I don't see it getting the chance.  Train may have just taken a bullet for ya'll… cuz even after repeated listens, I didn't really get into it.
Ranking: 10

Standings (corrected now)
jjrock88**   4+2=6
wolfking*   2+4=6
Evermind   4+3=7
Lowdz   6+1=7
TAC    2+5=7
lonestar*   2+5=7
Kattoelox   1+7=8
Bolsters   5+4=9
Lethean*   4+8=12
kingshmegland 4+9=13
Stadler   7+6=13
Indiscipline** 6+7=13
Parama   9+6=15
Puppies   8+8=16
Elite   10+7=17
Train    9+10=19

* - 1 spot improvement
** - 2 spot improvement

Train... you get to handicap one of Lowdz, jj, or Evermind.  Reminder of the categories:

Possible Handicaps:
Instrumental or ballad
Epic (15+ minutes) or shorty (under 3:30)
Pick a letter (RSTLNE) or color - the song, band or album must start with that letter, or have a color in it the title/name
Opening or closing track
Seven Deadly Sins - something to do with any of Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Pride, Sloth, Wrath, or Greed (and I'll be very liberal here)
Aggressive or Mellow
Song from the childhood years of the handicapped player
Or, another theme of your choosing (which must be 'approved' by me... ie, can't be too restrictive)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:03:00 AM by jingle.boy »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: jingle.boy's fourth roulette - Round 2 RESULTZ'S!!!
« Reply #656 on: August 14, 2018, 06:06:54 AM »
Yay! Improvement!

On the other hand, I'm really mourning my predictions streak.

Seriously, I really need to change pace 'cause I'm feeling like I'm really having fun partecipating while you're paying the bill spending time on songs you could live without. *smile*

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »

Lowdz
Fiction Syxx / Given Sight
Heavy AOR/Melodic Rock done absolutely right.  Most likely the song of the round - indeed it was.  Smooth vocals, tasty guitar licks, some nice little key/symphony elements, heavy but not-too-chunky riffs… this was spot on.  Can't really say why this grabbed the top spot over Impellitteri… just my gut.  Top 2 were more like 1a and 1b, but there can be only one BEST song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcs4PO2wIZM
Ranking: 1

180!!!!!!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 14, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
The Dragonforce scored how I htought it would.  Happy with that submission even though it wasn't near the top.

I have my work cut out for me tomorrow night finding another song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #659 on: August 14, 2018, 06:17:59 AM »
but seriously, Nightwish-lite.
Or is Nightwish Edenbridge-lite? :neverusethis: I'd put them on par with Nightwish myself, but I like different things about both. Sabine is a good singer but I'd definitely give the edge to Nightwish in the vocal department. I think the orchestral elements are better in Edenbridge though (when it's real orchestra, which is every album starting from this one). I find both bands to be quite inconsistent in quality by about the same amount but Nightwish has a bit more cringey stuff in their discography whereas Edenbridge just has a habit of releasing albums that have some fantastic songs along with a bunch of really average ones.

Still, I didn't think I'd be topping the charts at any point in this roulette so I am quite content with a score of four. I'll send the next one shortly.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: August 14, 2018, 06:21:50 AM »
Train... you get to handicap one of Lowdz, jj, or Evermind.

Oh shit, I'm screwed. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: August 14, 2018, 06:34:10 AM »
OOOOOOOOO  Gut punch.  I loved their album.  I'm surprised you didn't like it Chad.  Back to the drawing board.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #662 on: August 14, 2018, 07:10:23 AM »
I asked RJ to submit my song cause I would be too busy from tomorrow onward and possibly later today, but I didn't expect results already, so I'll just send it myself. (Oh and I actually sent something else than I told you since he apparently spun that song once a year ago and I wanted to go with something new)

Also since I have to give out a punishment I'm glad I can just do that now so Evermind doesn't have to wait for me :angel:

Evermind, SHORTY!

Anathema, based on your last.fm listening history and judgement of this song, is just not really for you. Lee Douglas has a couple of really powerful tunes on the new album though, didn't figure you would be a bigger fan of her.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:17:50 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #663 on: August 14, 2018, 07:11:41 AM »
I'll send the next one shortly.
Done, looking forward to being in the bottom half this time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #664 on: August 14, 2018, 07:43:37 AM »
I'll take it...figured that'd be the one Periphery song that could sneak through and survive. Now to go for the one tolerable song from another band that'd otherwise make your sensitive little ears bleed....